Retired Mechanical Engineers?

Hi there. I like to tinker and build things, but I don't have an engineering background so I can never quite finish my projects. I have a number of them and everyone I talk to about it says they are good ideas and I should finish them, but I genuinely don't have the background for it. I work in research, but nothing related to engineering.

I am really hoping their are some retired mechanical engineers in town that have some extra time on their hands and wouldn't mind helping me out or maybe just answering a few questions here and there.

-George

George S George S
Aug '14

Why do they have to be retired? I'm a ChemE and PharmE, so I wouldn't be much help.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '14

My brother had a degree in ME from Penn State. He said, "4 Years of college, and I can design a bridge to anywhere, but don't ask me to change that roll of toilet paper on the holder!" LOL.....

embryodad embryodad
Aug '14

figured retired would have time on their hands and might enjoy helping on a small project.

George S George S
Aug '14

Currently employed Mechanical Engineer here. What sort of help are you trying to recruit? Most engineering services carry a great deal of liability and resource requirements, so it may help to clarify what you are looking for.

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Aug '14

its really just small projects. my lack of understanding of how gears, levers, springs, timing, etc... all work is limited at best. It would probably be remedial questions for someone that's spent more than a year working in the field.

kind of difficult to explain without writing out a long post. if you've got a few minutes, i could explain further.

George S George S
Aug '14

I am a retired mechanical engineer with an MS in ME. Retired registered professional engineer in NJ. with a patent and publications on my resume. Several years experience with mechanisms and gearing. We could see if we have a fit and the amount of time required to support your projects.

I have 3D solids modeling software at home to create representations of a project so you can visualize and find problems before building.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Aug '14

DiaHillRes2 has a PE, so it sounds like he's got the skills. Probably the liability insurance, too. XD

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Aug '14

Hi-
I have a machining,metal fabrication,and machinery prototype assembly, and engineering lab testing background (50 years). I am also familiar with shipboard, propulsion, and auxiliaries (steam and diesel). I am retired and to keep my mind active I have undertaken the construction of a 20KW auxiliary electrical power generator. Here are the basic component assemblies which I wish to incorporate;
Toyota 1.6 liter 4 cylinder automotive engine (converted to LP GAS), ST generator head (4 pole- 2 bearing- 1800 RPM). The characteristics of the engine are such that it must operate at 2300 RPM to achieve it's best fuel efficiency level. I am confronted with the need to design a REDRIVE (something comparable to those used by people who build small experimental aircraft using similar engines. Most redrives convert engine RPM to output RPMs lower than the engine. A figurative ratio would be 1.5 to 1. This puts the engine operating at a higher RPM than the prop, which to a degree enhances the torque available at the prop as well. I am applying the same logic for my coupling redrive for my generator. Now I am having a problem keeping it simple. In that I change an low load axial rotation into a moderate RADIAL LOAD. This is the result of using a dual B width belts to make the needed RPM reduction. Mechanically this would be a driver sheave 3" in diameter and the appropriate output shaft sheave diameter to accomplish at least a 1.3 to 1 ratio on the generator shaft. I am considering the use of a moderately sized 2 row spherical roller bearing,as the primary radial load bearing. This would be a bearing fitted to a 1and 3/8th inch diameter output shaft. The shaft will be one piece,approximately 11 inches in length with 3/8 keyway at the output end.and a 21 spline 1 and 1/8" OD x 2"L. The power shaft will be stabilised at the crankshaft flange by a pilot bearing. By doing this I also allow for any axial expansion that might occur from the rolling friction of the load bearing,which will be continuously lubricated,while operating by either drip or pressure feed from engine. All I am asking for here is a review of the design idea of the redrive or another suggestion that could be carried out by an old man. I know your suggestion will probaby be "just GO AND BUY A COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED GENERATOR".

George T Wright George T Wright
Aug '14

"just GO AND BUY A COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED GENERATOR"

No, actually quite the contrary Mr. Wright. I applaud you for the audacity to keep your mind engaged and working on things that will keep you sharp. I'm guessing you already had the Toyota engine at your disposal or it was easily sourced and you decided that it would make a good project. While I don't have the engineering acumen to assist you in reviewing your endeavor, I do hope you find a kindred spirit or spirits who will and will enjoy doing so!

This country was built in part by the tinkerers and the people who worked out of their workshops and garages and later sometimes in the "invention factories" modeled after Edison's shops. Sometimes in trying to find "other ways" of doing things or why a current invention doesn't work as efficiently or as satisfactorily as it should, better (or at least alternative) ways are found that make the original invention more reliable or efficient and sometimes eliminate the need for some of the more hazardous materials used in the original.

More power to you, Mr. Wright, both figuratively and literally. Best of luck!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

George, you may have explored this already but a standard transmission for that engine will likely have an existing gear ratio to get you near that 1.5:1 reduction you are looking for. Have you researched that possibility? If so, then a simple drive shaft connection with existing parts might get you to where you want to be.

justintime justintime
Aug '14

George I am an out of work Mechanical Designer. I don't have a degree but I have 3D software at home and 14 years of experience working with high precision components, sheet metal, and large machinery. I can model your ideas and create drawings for them. Shoot me a message if you want to talk further.

Metsman Metsman
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.