Best picnic area around?

I'm looking to surprise my husband by taking him on a ride and going on a picnic. I just don't know where to go. I would like it to be not too crowded like a park with picnic benches and a playground or anything. But something more serene with a lovely view. Does anyone know a place? Maybe near the Gap or in one of the state parks?

jaemae jaemae
Aug '14

Hacklebarney Park in Chester, right over Schooley's Mountain. Or Schooley's Mountain Park. You can enjoy a lovely picnic in either place, and they are nearby

justsayin
Aug '14

Yes those are great parks. Also, there is Stephens State Park. I love Hacklebarney but it can get crowded on the weekends. Merrill Creek is beautiful but they do not have grills.

positive positive
Aug '14

If you are looking for grills, not sure about Stephens State Park. But I just drove through there the other day and there are beautiful secluded spots along the river. It was a week day, so I'm not sure what it would be like on weekends. But I saw several beautiful romantic spots.

Tanya Tanya
Aug '14

Stephens has grills and some of the picnic tables next to the grills are located in private spots right near the river...very nice and romantic.

positive positive
Aug '14

Great!! Thank you! I would not be looking for a grill. Just a picnic basket..blanket and a view is all I'm looking for. Now where do i get into Stephens? I think there's and entrance on 517 near Mattars or is that Allamuchy State Park? And where is Merrill creek?

jaemae jaemae
Aug '14

Here are the directions to Merrill Creek....

http://www.merrillcreek.com/directions.html

Directions to Stephens-
Coming from M&Ms, travel towards the Quick Chek right before the Quick Chek you would make a right onto Bilby Rd, take that all the way to the end to Willow Grove St, make a left and you will see the entrance on your right.

positive positive
Aug '14

Excellent! Thanks again positive! I looked up Merrill creek and it's huge!! I had no idea!

jaemae jaemae
Aug '14

Have fun and I hope the weather cooperates for you! :)

positive positive
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.