Kenwood Village Water Main Replacement stopped

Due to numerous issues, the water main replacement project has been shut down. There will be no further work done on the project until a meeting is held to discuss the issues and to try to minimize any future issues. The contractor did use a large commercial street sweeper with water today in the Kenwood area. This has helped with the amount of dust. We will update you as more information becomes available.

Mariann Mariann
Jul '14

We were behind one of those sweepers today, Mariann, going up Mitchell Road. I thought they were doing that to get ready to repave the streets in Kenwood. They are in pretty bad shape. Also noticed all the fire hydrants with the black bags over them and the new ones next to those too. Hope you people living down there have positive results soon.

joyful joyful
Jul '14

Joyful, I heard that even after the water main replacements were done the streets are not going to be paved. College View is done and they are not paving the streets there. No money in the budget for that.

Mariann Mariann
Jul '14

They can't just pave collegeview after installing water mains. Got to let everything settle before milling and paving the roads

townie14 townie14
Jul '14

They did several streets of water mains in diamond hill and it took at least 6 months but they did pave. I think the way it worked was hmua just gives the town money toward the paving then the towns get to seek bids for the paving.

Okay... like what issues? Is our area in danger of sinkholes? Unsafe drinking water?? Is there an article we can read?

Soooo
Jul '14

I would also like to know what kind of issues there are and how they will affect the residents in Kenwood. Are there health issues, safety issues, WHAT!

Dansker Dansker
Aug '14

I saw an employee of HMUA yesterday in Kenwood and asked him if he knew what was up. I was told that DPW halted the work because the contractor was not following certain protocols as it related to debris getting into the storm drain system. However this was just what this particular person had heard.

I'll reach out to the DPW office today in an attempt to get the facts.

My post was an email update that I signed up to get when they started the project. That's all the email said. It didn't say what the issues were or when the meeting was.

Mariann Mariann
Aug '14

The latest email update from Bruce Smith:

Good afternoon,
A meeting was held today to discuss a number of issues with the construction. The meeting was attended by representatives from the HMUA, Town of Hackettstown and the Contractor. The major remaining issue included paving within College View, Dust Control during construction within Kenwood Village and impacts upon individual customer sewer lines. Paving restoration work is expected to start in College View on Tuesday. The work is to be completed in College View before construction resumes in Kenwood Village. I will provide an update prior to when the contractor will be resuming construction in Kenwood.

Mariann Mariann
Aug '14

They marked some areas in College View but this is only milling to smooth and to patch holes. We were told money was put aside to off set some of the costs of paving form these projects. They ground must settle first before the paving can begin. They have been back to fill in some spots and to mill others to smooth them out.

The latest email update from Bruce Smith:

The words included that may be frightening (( "and impacts upon individual customer sewer lines )) ??? What can this mean ??? ...

Just a thought, and being protective, and possibly involving the customers sewer connection!

The sewer line from each homes connection out to the sewer main, is the responsibility of the home owner. That is, the line of pipe that runs from the sanitary sewer drain inside the home, and out to the main drop connection into the main sewer. Considering the age of the Kenwood section, the sewer pipe would usually be Cast Iron Hub and Spigot connections that are jointed and sealed with a ring of lead.
How do I know that? .... Because my above grade plumbing is connected that way, and then is transitioned to copper DWV pipe to the fixtures.
Any pipe below grade, is Cast iron XH ( extra heavy ) pipe; with hub connections and lead packed joints.

Unusual twisting and or movement, can loosen the lead ring seal, or crack the hub that contains the lead seal. Cracks can be an invitation for plant roots to enter the sewer line, and a possibility, for paper and debris that flows inside the pipe, to be caught in the plants roots. Also, cracks and loose leaky joints, may cause premature oxygenation and deterioration.

In a few years down the line, it could be a nasty price $$ to dig up YOUR lawn, and have a Plumber repair / replace that joint (s) that may have been twisted / moved / forced, while reconnection to the sewer main in the street.

Just be wary and take a peek while someone is excavating by YOUR $ewer connection.

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '14

We were told several times that they will not be repaving the roads in College View until 2015! They said they have to let everything settle!

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Aug '14

I believe they crushed a sewer line in college view in the very beginning and it backed up into the home. Between the home owners insurance and the water company i think everything was fixed.

Franks and Beans
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.