Mars new line in Topeka KS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1hC5vnM4EA

anyone else concerned why they didn't decide to expand here?

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsAtO9u2HTY

unreal

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

There was a thread on this already. I don't blame them, nj is too expensive.

M & K M & K
Jul '14

Maybe it's because every time a big company, like Mars, does something nice for the town, there are a bunch of idiots who will bitch and complain all over this forum about them - see rants about lack of free candy, bench on Main Street, lack of a store on Main Street, etc.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

Expand here? Or close a California plant to open somewhere else? There are like 20 billion reasons that could be involved. Trying to make something out of it is more unreal than it happening. Definitely not concerned.

They would probably pay less then 1/3 of property tax in other states and or towns. I don't blame them.

They are paying close to, if not more then 2 million a year in taxes here in town. It truly makes we wonder why our homeowner property taxes are so high ... the fact we have a major corporation shelling out that much in taxes each year and are taxes are still sky high, makes you wonder ... why are home owners paying so much ... and where is the money going? You'd think taxes would be lower with the amount M&Ms pays.

44yearresident
Jul '14

Moving all operations there or elsewhere, will be ...."The Beginning of the End" for Hackettstown...

Like the Mars woman said in the Video,..........."They are L00King at Their Future!"

They aren't looking at what is here; their heads are looking forward.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '14

It just says they are making Snickers and Peanut M & Ms at Topeka - nothing else.
Think calm and chocolate on!!

allrightalready allrightalready
Jul '14

It's because they are only allowed a certain square footage of manufacturing space. They can't build on this plant anymore without giving up land or rooms they already have. Everything is fine. You people worry to much.

In the know
Jul '14

44yearresident - You're close to a half million dollars off in the number you're quoting.

Embryodad - Maybe their future is a growth in sales and they need additional capacity without affecting current production. The Mars lady in the documentary said other companies are closing plants all together, or moving them out of the country. This one is expansion, and still here in the US.

As for building it here, the plant they built is 12 acres just for the building. Add all the additional parking and other acreage and it certainly doesn't fit in what Mars have here. And even trying to buy new area land isn't going to be that kind of size, at least not in Hackettstown proper.

understood - would just have thought the town would have courted mars to increase production here.

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Mars isn't trying to knock down an ugly, good-for-nothing historic building, nor are they going to cram as many revenue streams er... tax paying renters as possible into any new space they build. I bet Mars doesn't even give kickbacks to the local government officials!

I mean, why would the people who we've elected to represent our interests bother to try to better our local economy when they have to work so hard to make their own ends meet; ends such as pennies on the dollar for the Cadillac of healthcare plans or their Pennsylvania income taxes on their $300,000-$500,000 homes, and don't forget the ridiculous price for all that gas for their state vehicle. All they have to live on are a salary, multiple pensions, unlimited accrued sick time, a second salary and pension from the other members of their family that also have state jobs thanks to nepotism, and yearly cost-of-living wage increases, with only a few thousand dollar/year extra raise that they vote to give themselves. It's shameful to complain about such a small amount of tax we pay when there are state officials suffering in such squalid conditions as I've listed here.

Furthermore, I think Mars - or any company for that matter - should be more grateful that they are allowed to operate in such a wonderful and unique state as NJ. its not like there are another 40ish States any of them could move to that would result in lower operating costs with better infrastructure and less overhead, right? Exactly. NJ is your ONLY chance. And won't somebody please think of the children?!

Common Sense Common Sense
Jul '14

Common Sense - You should become familiar with the difference between "income tax" and property tax. It's ironically "common sense"

GC - "close to a half a half million off in the number you are quoting" If I'm not mistaken, they were paying approximately 1.8 million as of three years ago for all their property in town. That said, if I am off, then my "quote" must be low??? Provided you've done your research to suggest I am "off" by that much, perhaps you can enlighten us with the exact amount. You are seemingly sure my "quote" was "close to a half million off" you must know the exact amount. Right?

Unfortunately , the cost to build in most other states is significantly lower, so is the general cost of living. No brainer.

44yearresident
Jul '14

44yearresident - The taxes are a matter of public record. First you said close to, or over 2.0 mill, not 1.8 mill. The correct number is a combination of 4 lots, the main lot is 1.478 mill, two others are fairly inconsequential (little house that used to have the Warren Chamber), and the last Miller St lot with the ball field and solar adds about $100k. All together it's in the 1.5-1.6 mill range.

*, or

But please, 44yearresident, please continue to resort to ad hominem. That makes the situation in NJ just so much better.

Common Sense Common Sense
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.