Dog Parks

Hi all. I haven't posted here much and while I know there are some old threads about dog parks, much of the posts are from last year or earlier. So I wanted to posted a fresh thread to get some new ideas.

I have a 6 year old German Shepherd that I adopted from a shelter about a month ago. I've been exercising her as much as I can at my own home, which she tends to stay close to me as it is. We don't have a fenced in yard so my only concern with her being off leash at home is if any of our six cats are around as she will run after them to play, but comes back once I call her.

Long story short, I'm curious about local dog parks and how they have been lately. I would probably be looking to take her to a place on an off hour when theres very few or no other people. Shes not aggressive from what I've found, as the only time she got into a fight with another dog was when we went to visit the shelter not long after she was adopted. I think she was just agitated since she may have thought I was bringing her back to stay at the shelter.

But I'm still trying to be careful around dogs her size or bigger(shes 80 pounds) as she came with a lot of baggage and theres still parts of her personality I'm learning about. She is gentle and sweet as can be with our 5 pound puppy so I know small dogs are no problem. So I want to give her a chance to sometime socialize a bit if possible but at least start out at a dog park giving her a chance to get used to the place without as many dogs around.

So any suggestions? I saw listings for Turkey Brook in Budd Lake I believe, and the Washington Township/Long Valley Dog park. Oh, and we're located in Port Murray just for reference to the drive. I grew up in Hackettstown so I know much of the surrounding area.

Silver Wolf Silver Wolf
Jul '14

Turkey brook in Budd Lake is one of the nicer ones that I have been to. I have been there many times with my Lab Mix and most of the time everything is fine. Occasionally you will find an aggressive dog. Most of the owners are very good with their pets, keep good control. There is a smaller area for small dogs, but I rarely see it used. My dog is 50 lbs, and has played fine with much larger and smaller dogs.

Only one time was there an issue with a dog that got too aggressive, the owner was very apologetic we moved to the smaller area, and it was fine.

I would say early weekday mornings 7-11 am are quietest, if you want to start slow.

If you would like to socialize her, I can bring mine sometime to see how she does.

Tony naz Tony naz
Jul '14

There's a really nice dog park in Mendham, Lewis Morris Park, right off old Rt. 24.
http://www.morrisparks.net/aspparks/lmmain.asp

Shirley Shirley
Jul '14

Turkey brook is pretty good. Off hours you won't see a lot of people there, I've even gone on a Sunday afternoon to find it almost empty. I don't go much anymore, my dog is sweet, but doesn't care about playing with other dogs. He just wants to play with a frisbee or tennis ball, and once other dogs show up that enjoy the same activities, we have to stop because other dogs can get aggressive when it comes to toys. I've never been to the long valley park.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jul '14

My step father takes his lab to a park in Sussex county that even has swimming available. It is a large park. I think he said it is 5 acres? Most times he is there by himself with his dog. (during the day) I see him today and will ask about the address.

JustDucky JustDucky
Jul '14

This one, just ducky? http://www.wantagedogpark.com/index.htm

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '14

Yes, Rebecka... that's the one! Voted one of the best in the country!

JustDucky JustDucky
Jul '14

Just be careful- it's not just the other dogs you need to worry about, but the OWNERS. I've been to Turkey Brook several times, and if you are there while there is a group there, they pretty much ignore their dogs while they stand around chatting over their coffee. I have seen several altercations between animals that should have been stopped sooner, but the owner(s) was too busy chatting. And when it's over, tell their dog "why did you do that? bad dog", then go on chatting and ignoring their animal.

Funny, after typing that, it seems it's quite similar to the way many parents deal with their children these days...lol

Now we have a fence, and invite our friends and their dogs over to our place.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '14

What about happy tails on 46. They have a nice fenced in play area. I wonder if they would let people bring their dogs there to play for an hour and charge a minimal fee.

jaemae jaemae
Jul '14

That is a good idea Jaemae but I wonder about liability. I refuse to go to dog parks because of irresponsible dog owners. My dog was attacked and the owner barely did anything about his aggresive doe. If Happy Tails opened their field to just anybody, they would ultimately be responsible if an accident happened.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '14

i had a bad experience at a dog park in randolph. another dog became aggressive toward my small dog and before i knew it he had my dog's neck in his mouth and was pulling him from side to side. thankfully my dog came away unharmed. dog parks can be wonderful, but i no longer go to them for this reason.

Poppy Girl
Jul '14

I heard of an incident not too long ago at Turkey Brook about a larger dog and a Shih Tzu I think it was - it didn't end well. As much as I would like socialization for Sadie after hearing that I won't risk it.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '14

Have been to Turkey Brook many many times with my large lab/shepherd mix - very gentle personality - have never had a problem. One time a large shepherd became quite territorial and kind of "bullied" other dogs - the owners were responsible and kept close eye on his behavior - also have found other owners to be friendly - nice big off-leash exercise and dog socialization space that is near to us -

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '14

If you're in the area, the dog park at South Mountain Reservation is pretty nice. Separate small and large dog areas and a water supply. Some agility stuff and shade;)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '14

Didn't think of that Jazzykat. You're right. I would love to let my dog of leash and watch him run but he's just to young and...well...stupid..lol. He gets too excited and i know he would run in the road if i let him off the lead. It's a shame too because I live across from some large fields too.

jaemae jaemae
Jul '14

Jaemae - have you tried taking your dog to school? I bet he's smarter than you think! Top Dog is really great. It's better for his safety if he knows to always come when called.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '14

There is a new dog park in Blairstown, that no one uses. I drive by there frequently and I have only ever seen one dog there. It's located just down the road from the airport.

btownpeep btownpeep
Jul '14

If you only had your pooch for a month and as you stated that your quite not sure about her personality as of yet, I would wait until I was confident with her demeanor. Why possibly put other dogs in harms way.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.