Styrofoam coolers

Looking for place to take/recycle Styrofoam coolers. I have half dozen large Omaha Steaks shipping coolers to get rid of..

speill speill
Jul '14

Just a thought. Perhaps inquire at the Lords Pantry at Trinity church. They may have a use for them from time to time.

I had two a few months ago... gave each one to friends to keep in their trunk for odds and ends.

Had another one and just threw it in the trash.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '14

The styrofoam you are talking about is not the part that was packed in the meat, right? These are containers that only ever touched things that were already wrapped? If the styrofoam in any way touched meat like that, it would be contaminated and no recycling center will accept it.

If it's uncontaminated and marked #6 then you can put it out with your regular mixed recycling. They take all numbers 1 through 7.

I have Sanico for garbage/recycling and their recycling guide says no styrofoam. I don't know about any of the other collection services. http://sanicoinc.com/recycle.pdf

Lynnada Lynnada
Jul '14

Freecyle 'em!

h-town proud h-town proud
Jul '14

Throw them in the trash and don't buy anymore.

Sally23 Sally23
Aug '14

The coolers, if big enough, make great outside houses for cats. Cut a small hole in it and fill it with straw and you have a nice warm place for an outside or feral cat.

4paws 4paws
Aug '14

My cat would eat the cooler instead of use it as a house.

I could also picture one of those coolers/cat shelters blowing away on windy day. You'd definitely need to weigh it down with something.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '14

GC, your cat wood eat Styrofoam?

And yes you would have to put something heavy on top of it.

4paws 4paws
Aug '14

Re: Styrofoam coolers

Yeah.

I know.

I eat styrofoam. I eat card board too. This is my scratching pad with all the tasty bits on the floor. I eat those. And do you see the front of it's torn? I chew it. Tasty.

At least I get my daily fiber, right??

White Shoes White Shoes
Aug '14

My dog ate styrofoam once. The first time he was offered ice cream, he didn't know how to lick the spoon, so we tried letting him lick the styrofoam cup and he took a bite out of it. He barfed up the the styrofoam, looking exactly the way it did when he bit it - 10 days later. Ugh. Thankfully, he has since learned how to lick a spoon!

Lynnada Lynnada
Aug '14

Gc your shot.

fitter fitter
Aug '14

White Shoes....STOP...I can't stand the cuteness! SOOOO Adorable! Enjoy your tasty cardboard. :)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.