Shoprite in Mansfield being rearranged

They're in the process of re-organizing, LOVE the new changes!!

Vacation Vacation
Jul '14

It took me half an hour to shop the last 2 isles at SR yesterday. Hate when they move everything around !!

Mariann Mariann
Jul '14

I don't like the new changes, especially the way the breads are on either side of the new shelves now- was easier to check out all the prices when they were all lined up on one wall ...

Poppy Girl
Jul '14

It sure makes that whole area tight and not as easy to navigate.

While I have always liked Shop-rite, I got sick of the terrible parking and crowds inside..........I now shop at Weis and am perfectly happy. They really did a nice job with their remodel last year (or year before...cannot recall exactly).

mom of one mom of one
Jul '14

Mansfield is the worst Shop Rite to shop at IMO. I'm glad I'm closer to the Washington Shop Rite. It's a nice store.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

I don't know about Mansfiled being the worst Shop Rite. Have you ever tried the Newton Shop Rite? That is a mess. We try to mostly shop Weis up here.

M & K M & K
Jul '14

I agree, Calico. I can't even go there anymore. I head to Flanders or Byram.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '14

Tracy - When I lived in H'town, I went to Byram as well never Mansfield. Since I traveled Route 80, it wasn't that much of an inconvenience to hope off there, shop, then head home.

M&K - Newton? Might as well be Tokyo. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Besides parking, what's so bad about Mansfield Shoprite?

Vacation Vacation
Jul '14

Ever been to Wegman's, Vacation?

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

I actually prefer the one in Mansfield over Washington. Parking is never an issue bc I head straight to the back row. Of course I would LOVE to see a Wegmans open up here.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Jul '14

First off shop rite is the biggest rip off you are paying extra for their store being a union shop. Customer service is awful. You wait on line while the cashiers have mindless conversations with customers.There deli counter is a joke, there seafood display is embarrassing and meats aren't fit for most pets. consumers believe wegmans is expensive, not at all there produce, seafood and butchered meats are top of the line. Wegmans is so professional.Last time I went to shop rite some bozo was cutting his nails by the live lobsters and no manager would say anything .enough said.

Roger k Roger k
Jul '14

I don't think you want to try the Netcong Shoprite then!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

How about the old Hackettstown Shop-Rite talking about tight and narrow aisles and very small store and one of the parking lots was across street from the store....I worked there for two years lots of memories of moving out of customers way and bumping into them ! Lolll...

I have been to the Wegman's in Nazareth PA. I came away unimpressed, it was hard to find a parking space. The produce department was like navigating an obstacle course. The grocery selection was average at best. Frozen food department had a limited selection and I could not find my favorite Cheesecake. The fresh bakery was way over priced. The delicatessen was very small , only two people there serving customers. All of the ceiling exposed beams and plumbing were covered in brown and or painted brown. What is it with Wegman's and the color brown? Even their trucks are painted brown. The overhead train set was entertaining. In general I saw nothing at Wegman's that would make me go out of my way to shop there.

Hugh
Jul '14

Netcong SR is horrible, as was the former Washington SR.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

@Baci's Mom..I'm with you on Wegman's, would love to see one in the area. I go to Nazareth and love the store. Like every store, you have to know your prices but I find some great prices on meat and produce there. I shop at Mansfield Shop Rite most of the time but do go to Washington and Byram if I have to do a lot of shopping. We really are lucky to have so many stores within a rather small radius to pick and choose from. It makes it easier to find somewhere we're happy to shop at.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '14

I go to the Netcong Srite, because Im down there once a week and its so much easier then Mansfield. But Netcong is dirty and the people are NOT friendly. Dirty as in the store appearance inside and out. Never had an issue with the food. I like Weis, but have noticed lately that their prices are very high. Weis brand loaf of bread 3.99! Wtf! Great value loaf at Wmart 1.49. I do get some items from Wmart. HAPPY SHOPPING!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '14

Hugh - But you work for Shoprite. Why would your competition ever impress you?

Netcong is definitely the current worst Shoprite. It's like stepping back to 1973. The only reason you can get parking is because people don't want to shop there. Stroudsburg has the worst parking, not Mansfield. Flanders is a very nice modern store. So is Washington. Byram's OK.

Back to the original topic: I believe they change the aisles every so often in order to slow up your shopping experience. Because you now have to look for the item you want to buy (as opposed to knowing exactly where it is and going directly to that spot) you now have to search the aisles and may come across something that will interest you and result in an impulse buy. That results in your spending more money. Just my opinion, and it annoys me (a lot).

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Jul '14

You all should see the SR in Morris Plains. It's got so many bells and whistles it's like a trip to Great Adventure. The parking lot is huge and only used for SR, no strip mall stores there, yet you still can't find a space. It's a zoo and jam packed at lunch time.

I assume the two reasons it's so packed are:

1) No other decent supermarkets around;
2) Highly extensive selection of eat in and take out foods.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

overall shoprite saves you the most money, but i do wish there was a wegman's closer to us

i like wegman's, they have good quality stuff, but overall they are more expensive than shoprite, (and yes to Bessie's point there are exceptions, so you have to know your prices, weekly circulars and current coupon offers)

we go to weis only on the rare occasion that they have an offer that is lower priced than the shoprite, so we drive over there maybe once every two weeks for an item or two, that's it, Weis is much much expensive than the shop rite, i do not understand how that Mansfield store stays open.

i have seen the manager's from Weis, scoping out the mansfield shoprite, walking up and down the aisles and giggling amongst themselves, not sure what they found that was so funny, but i think they would be better served by learning how to compete as marketers rather than laugh at a store that is beating them in sales and profits.

is A&P finished as a grocery chain? It sure looks like it to me.

i really like the new shoperite on rt 31 in washington, it is a nice big store with lots to chose from, but i don't pass that way very often. i don't dislike the netcong one, but yes it is like going back to the 70's in there, that shoprite has been there (to the best of my memory) form about that time, late 60's maybe, and it looks it.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

Last time I shopped at ShopRite in Mansfield, I came without any quarters to ransom a shopping cart. When I went to the DisCourtesy Desk and asked for change of a dollar the two people behind the counter both sighed and rolled their eyes before making change.

Come on, it's your stupid way of doing things, don't act annoyed at having to occasionally make change!

JerryG JerryG
Jul '14

Re: Shoprite in Mansfield being rearranged

I've been to that SR, Calico. It's a nice store. Too bad they have to have the awful SR signage (can they update their price tags? They look so 80's)and for a brand new store, it's pretty cluttered. Decent selection of alcohol and their prepared foods looked pretty good. Definitely a step up for SR.

There's supposed to be a Wegmans coming to East Hanover but there hasn't been any action on that in awhile that I've heard. Wonder if the Jersey ...ahem..fellas.....have something to do with that. Like this guy:

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

the cart guys will release a cart for you if ask them, no problem, seen them do it often, and with a smile.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

It depends on if you're looking for price, quality or some mix of both. Seems like we're all over the place lately to find the fresh, local and/or minimally processed food that we like. We grow some things and can/freeze. Have hens for eggs.

Weis has good produce and no line at the deli. But some things we use regularly they don't have, so go to SR sometimes too. And we like farm stands for produce, will pay a little more for the fresh and local within reason. But, not pumpkins or melons, the farm stands are just way over-priced.

Netcong SR is small, but great to stop in when you need just a few things, quick in and out if you do self checkout. Its the nostalgia SR. My grandmother would have loved it, she never liked the newer stores that are so huge, she couldn't walk the whole thing.

We get bread from a bakery or make ourselves (flour, yeast, salt, water- nothing else), and certain things I'll go out to Trader Joe's in Florham Park for and stock up. And twice a year we get some sausage and ham type products from butcher out in PA and freeze. Try to combine all this with other trips we needed to make so we don't waste gas. Just writing this realize how much effort this all takes!

hktownie hktownie
Jul '14

OK so when they did this to the Freezer section I stopped going there. I was so fed up with them rearranging the store I left a full cart and walked out. I now do my larger shopping trip at the Flanders Store. The isles are wider and it looks a lot cleaner. The ride there is alot longer but the peacefulness of the store is worth it.

I will only stop in Mansfield when I need something Shoprite brand. I can't stand the parking lot either. Who in the right mind puts the entrance to a anchor store in the corner of a Large Shoping center that actually has other open and busy stores?

Speaking of produce, Weis is the only store in the area that knows how to properly store and display fresh asparagus (upright and in water) so that it stays fresh. Every other store has it laying dry and it is rubbery by the time you buy it and get it home.

While i admit Weis is more expensive than SR, I'd rather go there and not deal with crowds and claustrophobic aisles.

If I have to go to SR for a good sale I'll go to the one in Washington on rte 31.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '14

Try Weis Market ,, its great,, clean, well stocked, prices are very competitive, ALL store staff is extremely friendly and helpful, its the best store in the area, its a pleasure to shop there,, no crazy parking lot and guess what , YOU DON'T HAVE TO STICK A QUARTER IN THE CART TO USE IT,, I made the switch,,,

BlueFishEd BlueFishEd
Jul '14

Stay away from Weis seafood

Jul '14

For those of you who are ShopRite shoppers, as I am, you may be interested in the history of the Romano ShopRite Supermarkets. There are other markets that I like such as Wegmans and TJ's but, of course, I have to travel a distance to those markets. There is a very interesting book written by Jeffrey L. Rodengren namely "A symphony of soloists: the story of Wakefern and ShopRite." A note concerning the Netcong ShopRite inception: It was Romano's grandparents, Thomas and Vincenia (Fanny) Romano, who began the business, as a mom-and-pop store in the 1930s in Netcong, NJ. Under the pressure of large food chains and the new supermarket (or one-stop-shopping) phenomenon sweeping the nation, they joined Wakefern in 1954.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '14

I'm sorry to say the deli counter does not compare with SR---selection is very limited --
but, having just come home from SR - I totally agree that the rearrangements have only made that end of the store hard to navigate --ugh

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

'YOU DON'T HAVE TO STICK A QUARTER IN THE CART TO USE IT'. I'm all for that damn quarter. Keeps the parking lot clear of carts and less chance of damage to my nice cars. Funny how that little 25 cents takes the lazy right out of people. Can't believe how many people can't walk a cart 100 feet or less to the return. Sometimes it's literally across the parking aisle.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

Reading everyone's comments, all I can think of is, "Who moved my cheese?" We are such creatures of habit, it's interesting how something as simple as the bread section of a store being changed, can fluster us all so much!

I do agree, and it is harder to navigate. But am I the only one who noticed it is also colder? Perhaps the higher, closer shelves of bread, will insulate the open dairy cases, and improve the refridgerator's efficiency.

Just my thoughts. Oh, and about Netcong - I loved that often grubby, crowded store when my kids were little. I could park close, get everything quickly, (including wine). and their deli has a lot of great Italian specialities, to satisfy the large Italian population of Netcong. Just sayin!!

Man, sounds like you might enjoy reading the book I noted above; it's the history of ShopRite/Wakefern and the Fannie Romano / Netcong connection.

I'm thinking about all the comments on the rearrangement of the Mansfield ShopRite, and I'm thinking .... maybe it's a good thing for my Brain to have to be capable of navigating through the changes ... sort of like a 'game.'

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '14

I hear you, MNJ. I often have to walk 50 yards to return my cart to the corral (if I'm at ShopRite, rather than S&S), only to see two carts up against the curb in the stall directly adjacent to the corral. I mean, really... how lazy are you?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Re: Shoprite in Mansfield being rearranged

Here is the book " A Symphony Of Soloists". A good read, available on amazon,com.

breaker
Jul '14

Yeah, I was going to say something about that. Literally the stall next to the corral. I go out of my way to put them away. And I will grab one from the lot on my way in, usually to keep it away from my car, even if I'm not using a cart. Takes no effort at all.

Better yet, I like when the lazy dotes put their groceries in their car and leave the cart in the adjacent spot...that you're trying to pull into.

A guy the other day came out of the store, took his bag ......and left the cart right in front of the entrance doorway, as I was returning mine. I kinda gave him a pass because he was an older gentlemen and it looked like he didn't realize what he was doin. I waited 5 min before I left because I didn't want to be anywhere near him if his driving was just as absent-minded.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

I always return my carts to the corral. It's just the right thing to do.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

how about a cheers for fat tony that was posted lol

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

I think MAN hit the nail square on the head. "We are such creatures of habit." Having lived abroad and shopping street vendors and open markets for my daily provisions. I welcome the convenience afforded by many of the local supermarkets. My only complaint is not with the actual parking lots and shopping carts, but the ignorance continuously displayed by area residences. How hard is it to comprehend and/or understand that a No Parking Zone or Fire Lane means exactly that, No Parking !!!

SRWEISWallyMarter
Jul '14

I actually think the recent bread aisle change is an improvement. Gives the illusion of more space in that aisle.

Overall, I hate that ShopRite, but I'm also spoiled having previously gone to the Byram store. THAT is a nice store!

Often Weis doesn't carry the brands that I need.

The Netcong location (as charming as the history is) is cramped, crowded and more limited than Weis.

somechik somechik
Jul '14

I am always amazed by the trash in the parking lot; both customers and owners alike seem not to care. Amazing in this day and age that we still liter at will.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '14

I agree mistergoogle. Seems like trash is everywhere. People still throw their trash out the window in this day and age of recycling, reusing, etc? Unbelievable. SMH.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

All the carts have been unlocked recently. Are we no longer having to dig through our pockets and the bottom of our purses desperately searching for that blasted quarter?

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '14

Always have a quarter in the door pocket, just for that reason. Good idea because this ways the cars dont get dented by runaway carts.JMO.

Oct '14

Shoprite in Byram shops and delivers for $20.00. That is worth every penny to not have to go to the store. Parking in Mansfield and Byram is a nightmare.

Derek Derek
Oct '14

I've never used the service myself, but I saw a neighbor get a delivery from the Shoprite van. It must have had a dozen open packing boxes scattered around the driveway and that wasn't whatever might have been inside. Even if they didn't send a team of 4 horses for raw moving power, they got taken on the $20 charge. Bless them. ;-)

As for parking, Mansfield and Byram are spoiled for how good it is. Send anyone there to Stroudsburg for just a single visit. They'll never complain again.

I use the delivery service on and off and I love it. You are able to put notes with each item on your list - for instance you want only medium sized zucchini without blemishes and a nice green color.

I also always comment to choose the furthest expiration date possible for anything that has an expiration date.

They always call you once they have finished the shopping to let you know if anything was not in stock or (in some cases) the veggie you wanted really did not look good. You also have a chance at that time to add to the order on anything you might have forgotten.

Some weeks it is very nice not to have to deal with the store.

Although the charge is $20 for the shopping, they generally have some sort of deal that if you purchase a certain amount of particular items, there are discounts that can make up for some of the cost. It works if those are items you would normally purchase

Coralie Coralie
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.