Best way to JFK

Hello All,

Normally fly out of EWR but have an early (830am) Flight out of JFK this weekend - Google Maps saying go through the city...doesn't make sense to me....any advice is greatly appreciated. 2 hours to get there?

jpb3302 jpb3302
Jul '14

RT 80E TO GW BRIDGE CROSS TAKE 2ND EXIT TAKE HARLEM RIVER DR SOUTH TO EXIT 17 TRIOBORO BRIDGE CROSS SEE SIGNS JFK AIRPORT OR NYC AIRPORTS

78E TO N.J. TURNPIKE SOUTH EXIT 13 GOTHELS BRIDGE STATEN ISLAND EXPRESS WAY TO VERRAZANO BRIDGE TO BELT PKWAY SEE SIGN JFK AIRPORT

it's at least an hour and half ride out there. but if you're going early am, there shouldn't be too much traffic. make sure to have at least $30 for tolls.
Good Luck!

badnews
Jul '14

take the NJ Transit Morris & Essex Line to Dover NJ then to penn station

Take AirTrain to Jamaica Station.
At Jamaica Station, take a Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) train from New York Penn Station, or, take the E subway from New York Penn Station.
http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtr...

You can also take the AirLink shuttle from midtown.
http://www.goairlinkshuttle.com/

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Re: Best way to JFK

A week ago it was 2.5 hours at least via the Triboro due to GWB traffic. Off hours but might have been a traffic study :>)

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '14

On a weekend the train is not going to be an option. Even if it was running, the schedule would also not meet an 8:30 flight with the switching you have to do.

On a normal weekday, but after rush hour I too would have recommended the GWB to Harlem River Drive and Tri Boro. However, I just went that route to an Dr appointment on Monday and the construction around the Tri Boro was not good at all.

Only because it's the weekend and very early I actually suggest GWB to Cross Bronx and then Throgs Neck Bridge to Van Wyck. Any work day no matter what time of day, and I wouldn't say that. But just because of the timing I think you might be able to get away with it.

If you're planning on parking a car in the long term lot at JFK allow an extra 30 minutes to park, get on the AirTrain, and get to your terminal. Currently there are six operational terminals so be sure you know which one your airline departs from. (Beware, Delta flights leave from more than one terminal, depending on destination.)

Security at JFK is slow, so you'll want to arrive in the terminal no later than 90 minutes before departure.

I drive from Hackettstown to JFK an average of twice a month. Go with the route 80/GWB route. I take the Deegan to the Triboro (now the RFK) bridge, but that's personal preference UNLESS there's traffic from an accident or construction. 1010 WINS is your best friend with traffic every ten minutes on the ones (:01 :11 :21 and so on).

Best time I've made without traffic is 90 minutes, but if the traffic gods are not on your side could be 2.5 to 3 hours.

Good luck.

JerryG JerryG
Jul '14

I have to go there this Sunday at 5:00pm arrival to pickup my wife. I am planning a whole day wasted to get there and get home.. I HATE going to that airport!!!!!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '14

be forewarned - rte 80 west is a nightmare - saw the mess on my way to nyc early afternoon today - and wasted an hour crawling through construction traffic coming home at 10:30pm...................

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

Sunday at 5pm ---- all NYC-ers might be returning to the city; could be a coming home commute.

I have taken GC's route; it is 2 minutes longer when open but probably a heck of a lot quicker in traffic. Still got the GWB, but you should be able to see the traffic on that before you go.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jul '14

re the GWB...ALWAYS check to see if the Yankees are playing at home within an hour or two of when you want to cross.

If so, add 30-60 minutes to your trip!

JerryG JerryG
Jul '14

Thanks for this post! I have a flight to Turks & Caicos from JFK this Tuesday. Was planning on giving 2 hours of time to get there.

Vacation Vacation
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.