Recs for movers (out of State move)

Looking for movers that will go out of state (specifically NJ to SC). Anyone have recently used one or know someone that does?

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '14

Friends of mine have moved cross country a few times and used PODS - as it was the cheapest and they didn't ever have to be concerned about their items being lost or damaged or mixed in with someone else's. I know that doesn't exactly speak to manpower - but it was more cost effective for the family of 4 to move from Seattle to Philly using a POD instead of paying a moving company.

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Jul '14

This is not a answer to your question, Do you need to buy a house in SC we have our house for sale.Down in Lexington SC.

I highly recommend Vernay Moving. They moved our office, were great! I know they move out of state, but I don't know how there rates are. Give them a call :) We used them to move our office, and will be using them to move our office again in a couple months.

LizInHtown LizInHtown
Jul '14

I called about the pods - it's actually not all that cheap! For just ONE pod it will be over 3K!

CG - we are moving to the burbs of Charleston and already have house we are bidding on.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '14

want to wack up a truck - I am moving back to NC in 2 weeks :)

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Fast Moving Co in Mansfield always had a good rep, believe they are a north American representative.

Moving to NC from NJ could cost around $10,000. Give or take a few hundred, it depends on cars, how many rooms of furniture and how many boxes. Its not cheap at all.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

We used U-hall, it's the cheapest of the rentals. They also have an option to hire local manpower to help you load and unload.

David k
Jul '14

I don't have any advice on movers, but I do want to wish you and yours nothing but happiness and prosperity in SC. You've been a great source of information and advice on a variety of subjects and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that. South Carolina is lucky to have you.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jul '14

@ Mommyof3 I know someone who just had a moving company pick up her stuff yesterday to take to Florida. I'm sure it will be a few days before her things arrive but I will check with her over the weekend on their experience. I know they looked around and were on a budget, SUPPOSEDLY this was the cheapest option she could find. It was kind of a rush move, spur of the moment job opportunity. I will definitely post her answer for you.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '14

Talk to Maria and Julio at Fast Moving. I've worked with them many times professionally and the are great!

D & J Moving in Hackettstown

Here to go
Jul '14

If your decide to move yourself stay away from UHaul...junk trucks!! Penske trucks are more reliable, I know from experience I have used both!

outsider outsider
Jul '14

Best of luck with your move and new life!

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Tri state movers 516 551 6064
They moved us from Long Island down to North Carolina and then back up to Jersey.
Nice guys, honest and reliable!
Nothing was missing or broken and responsibly priced both moves.
Good luck to you and your family.

Lvmamma Lvmamma
Jul '14

Sell your furniture- buy new for a new beginning once you get there. Much cheaper than hauling the old stuff.

crazy jane
Jul '14

Hmmmm.....sell old bedroom set, get $400 for it. Buy new bedroom set, pay $4,000 for it. Difference $3,600. Does it really cost $3,600 to move a bedroom set? Multiply this times the number of bedroom sets, add a dining room set, living room set etc.

I can't seem to agree with the sell the old get new theory because it's cheaper than moving it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

If you're going to sell furniture here, you should buy used down there. It's something to consider so maybe you can get away with a small rental.

Agree that PODS are actually fairly pricey.

I know a great local area mover, but I'm afraid it's been too long since I've spoken with my contacts in the relocation world. At least at the time they were using a lot of Arpin and Graebel. You might at least call those two companies and get approximate rates to compare.

But in any case, just the best of luck to the whole family.

We are moving in one week to a town outside of charlotte on the SC side. Our 1700 square foot house had a general moving price of $10,000 to $15,000. We are doing PODS. It will be around $10,000 after all the costs of moving including pads, boxes, paper, bubble wrap, tape and things. We will also have moving men move us into the PODS to pack up the boxes correctly.

3lilrascals 3lilrascals
Jul '14

ABF freight. You load and unload yourself, but they come and drop off truck and pick it up. Relative moved from NJ to NC about 5 years ago. Loaded 4 bedrooms, kitchen, dining room and all the other stuff, like clothes, etc... The company drove the truck to NC and they drove their cars. Cost was $4000.

botheredbyuu botheredbyuu
Jul '14

Thanks for recs everyone. Thank you for the kind words as well! It is not going to be easy for us to leave Hackettstown but this is something that we need to do for our son. As many of you know my youngest son has some medical issues and we were told that he would probably be healthier if we moved south. Anyone that is a parent knows, you will do anything to help your child!!

In reality we don't have that much furniture compared to some. I am sure we could probably fit all our stuff in 2 maybe 3 pods but the thought having to move it all is not ideal with three kids. Actually moving it into the pods won't be the issue because I know we could ask some friends/family for help. It's moving it out of the pods that will stick.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '14

Best wishes to you and your family.....you'll be missed here.

Mom of 1&1 Mom of 1&1
Jul '14

Just because I won't be living here in town, doesn't mean I won't post still

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jul '14

My friend is moving from Long Valley to Sunset Beach, NC and is using Alpha Movers. Here is what he emailed me today as I'm planning on moving to SC in the near future:

"We are using Alpha Movers. They were recommended by Weichert Realty. I looked them up on-line and the reviews were very positive. They are charging us $5100 which includes them doing all the packing and setting up the furniture when it is delivered. If you want to pack yourself it would be a lot cheaper. If you are interested in getting an estimate you can call Michael Bondi at (800)605-2574 or on his cell - (917)520-4948."

Sounds like a great price from some of the other posts I've read.

reikilady reikilady
Jul '14

Hi- I've used phips moving llc before. They are a smaller company but were fast, efficient, and decently priced. They are located right in hackettstown too. I would suggest calling or emailing them. I spoke with Steven who was also one if the workers when I moved.

Best of luck!

Roger Jackson Roger Jackson
Jul '14

I found out from my friend that they only shipped about 40 boxes and the kids bikes and toys. They did not take any of their furniture, so they somehow combined their load with another load going down south. I don't think that would help you.. Good Luck with the move!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '14

Can anyone else recommend anything? I'm moving from nj to fl and only taking bedroom set and the rest is boxes......

mariabear mariabear
Sep '14

www.phipsmovingllc.com check them out. We were referred to them by friends who were referred to them by friends. We have moved a few times and have had bad experiences so we decided to go with a referral and it was by far the best move we've had. Great rates, professional, timely and just down right nice guys. I definitely recommend them!

I've heard bad things about Vernay that some of their employees have sticky fingers.

Luckylucy56
Sep '14

If you come to NC - chocodog and I are in Wake county

Skippy Skippy
Sep '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.