Salt water kayaking and fishing

Hi I am fairly new to hackettstown area , looking for good access point for salt water fishing and kayaking ? Without driving for 2 plus hours .. Any suggestions?

Teena247 Teena247
Jul '14

Salt water? You're about 50 miles away from the salt I would think. Freshwater fishing is the mainstay around here.

Merrill Creek - nice calm water with a bounty of fish - it's the gold standard for kayak fishing around here if you ask me (but I've never fished from a yak so take my opinion FWIW)

Oxford Lake - awesome crappies in the NW section.

Budd Lake - could be tough with the jet skiers though

Delaware River - I've never been there but it's a great fishery too. Not sure if the water is too rough or not for a yak.

Now, if you really want to go saltwater fishing, focus on the Raritan Bay. Ocean side of Sandy Hook is probably too rough for a yak. You can hop down to Keyport (exit 117A). Head over to West Front Street. There is plenty of parking, a boat launch that you can launch from. When you're done, head to the Keyport Fishery for some awesome fish fry.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

I have been kayaking at Spruce Run - not sure of the fishing situation

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/spruce.html

They state "Twenty-nine species of fish are contained within the waters of Spruce Run including largemouth bass, catfish, sunfish, yellow perch and carp. Trout, northern pike and hybrid bass are stocked by the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife."

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Thanks I've heard about spruce run will give it a try. I also have done a little surf casting at sandy hook and had a little luck, but not good for kayaks , but I will try out keyport exit (117) I've been recently to lake aeroflex great place ! Thanks for the reply's

Teena247 Teena247
Jul '14

I've kayaked and fished from the kayak on the Delaware (we start in PA & kayak down to Belvidere), Merrill Creek (if it is too windy, they won't let you on the water) and Spruce Run.

kayaking kayaking
Jul '14

The Atlantic Highlands is where you want to go for salwater kayaking. Its less than your 2 hour limit.

Singlemaleinnj Singlemaleinnj
Jul '14

class trip?

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.