Doggie Waste bags

Doggie Waste bags

It's a wonderful thing the BID has done by putting up a bag dispenser for dog waste. It would REALLY be a wonderful thing if it was kept full. Even after the BID official has been notified, they can't seem to replace the empty bags. But.....it is very impressive looking to see the dispenser hanging under the sign explaining that bagging doggie waste is MANDATORY under town ordinance. :) :) :)

Now we just need water fountains at doggie height

hktownie hktownie
Jul '14

Re: Doggie Waste bags

Have him go before you leave the house.

ignatz ignatz
Jul '14

How much do you want to bet that there are people out there who will take all of the bags in the dispenser instead of just one? These are the same people that fill their purse with ketchup packets at fast food joints and Equal or Splenda packets at Quick Chek. Hey, they're free... why not take them all?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

I buy my bags and they are quite expensive considering I need to purchase the x-large size so it's easy to figure that some folks may be bagging a few extra bags than they should. It is nice of the town to offer this amenity, however, I feel the dog owner is ultimately responsible for making sure they are well equiped to clean up after their dog.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '14

I buy my refill bags in packs of 10 or so. The only thing I don't like about them is that they seem to start degrading as soon as you put the poop in them!

It's nice of the town to provide them when they don't have to! If you can't afford them then you should save your grocery bags and fold one or two up in your pocket - that's what I used to do before I saw that the handy little bags on a roll hit the market. Mine are in a mini fire hydrant container zip tied to Craven's leash.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Unfortunately, it's NOT the town that buys these bags. It is the BID. They buy these bags with money they assess every business in town to provide a "merchant friendly" town in which customers WANT to buy from. Just like the flowers, the parades, and the concerts. They are not functions of the "town", but are attractions provided by the businesses. Mount Olive has a dog park, in which they provide bags. AND the bag dispensers are rarely empty there.

I recycle are different bags to pick up after my dog. But the bags thru town were put there for that unexpected accident. The BID put them in and I can check and see if we have any left.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

whoa christine, at first I thought you were saying that you recycle doggie bags!! lol!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '14

you are cognizant that the town = BID since they are supported via mandatory contributions..

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

I use diaper bags from the dollar store. 100 for a dollar and they have handles to tie them up and are scented. When my holder ran out, I stick like six or eight bags into it before each walk. I double bag them too for extra protection.

Cherie Cherie
Jul '14

Skippy, that is inaccurate. Only properties zoned as business contribute, not the whole town. Only businesses vote on how to use the money, not anyone in the town government.

I would much rather see fines given to the dog owners that let fido dump and run. Its your dog and you are responsible to bring a bag . I call it coddling. Im done Goodnight

jeresycash5
Jul '14

Re: Doggie Waste bags

Curb your dog. Really.

White Shoes White Shoes
Jul '14

which is exactly what I said GC - the town = BID - they are supported via mandatory contributions.. I didn't say everyone contributes.. The mayor and council are on the board of the BID..

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Skippy - By "the town = BID" you're implying they are the same thing. That's not at all true. If they were equal then everyone would have to contribute. The statement hte mayor and council are on the board is not accurate either. The mayor is, and so are two of the six Council members. Those three people are only part of the 17 person board. The Council has token membership on the board.

The town created the BID but then lets it run itself with some guidance from the town.

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/what-is-the-bid.html

ok - I retract my statement - I wasn't trying to argue. Just saying its not as if they are an autonomous body.

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Thanks for the handy hint "Cherie". I'll have to look into the diaper bags since, as I mentioned before, the "doggie bags" start to biodegrade while they're still in your hand almost!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

I buy my bags at Marshalls in their doggy section. Much cheaper there. But it sure is nice to have extras handy. One time I needed more than the 4 bags I brought for my two dogs, and I was grateful the dispenser was stocked.

Observer3 Observer3
Jul '14

I buy the large clear bags from Walmart in the plastic bag section. The ones that just come with twisty ties. They're inexpensive & more durable than actual doggie bags.

buffy buffy
Jul '14

I have to check out the dollar store diaper bags. That's cheap.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.