Pocket Gardens on Main

Pocket Gardens on Main

It's a wonder why the pocket gardens on Main Street aren't maintained...I know there's not a whole lot of money to spend in town....the planters and street lamp baskets are maintained. So I took it upon myself to maintain them. All it took is a few seeds...and a bag of mulch. It gives something for people to look at while strolling down Main... Hope nobody minds... It us after all town property

Shaddog Shaddog
Jul '14

Personally, Shaddog, I think that was a very nice thing to do. Anything that makes our town look nicer should be appreciated.

joyful joyful
Jul '14

Very nice. The better Main St. looks the more pleasurable walking and shopping on Main St. becomes. Thank you Shaddog.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Jul '14

I've seen you doing this, and I think it looks beautiful. Thanks Shaddog

Weebiekins Weebiekins
Jul '14

Nice Job!!

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

I noticed them the other day. Didn't know it was you. They look great.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

I also saw you working on them... nice job:)
Shaddog do you still have your dog? I used to see you walking all the time and haven't seen you lately?

Noticed them on Sunday near Stella G's. Very nice.

copygirl copygirl
Jul '14

Still have my pooch thanks for asking.... Take early morning and late evening walks due to the summer heat

Shaddog Shaddog
Jul '14

Re: Pocket Gardens on Main

Shaddog, love what you've done with those gardens! In fact, just this past Saturday, I took a picture of one of the plants to get an ID from a Facebook group but here I come upon the source! Even better!

So what is this plant!? It's caught my eye over the last month or so :)

LittleWing LittleWing
Jul '14

Good to hear shaddog:) He is one handsome pup!

It's called a castor bean lLittleWing.. Google it and you'll see how big they can get. As high as 10 feet tall with purple blossoms. A word to the wise tho they are toxic to small animals so read up on them otherwise they're awesome plants. Keep an eye on these ... Have them in front of my house too.

Shaddog Shaddog
Jul '14

Castor bean is a nice looking plant. But small animals aren't the only thing that find them poisonous. It's a natural source of the poison ricin, as Shaddog says look it up. Best for everyone to exercise caution around that.

they look amazing larry - good job

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

Maybe don't plant poisonous plants in public gardens?

Danstar
Jul '14

maybe don't eat public plants?

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

LOL skippy!

Christine Christine
Jul '14

Thanks Shaddog! The pocket gardens are very pretty.

Wendy Wendy
Jul '14

Oh sure..........now some local landscaper is out of a job because you felt like doing his work. Probably raise the welfare and unemployment count now..........GOOD JOB SHAGDOG.............

Thanks Shaddog! Had to drink castor oil to induce labor with my second baby...NEVER again! It sure is toxic but seems like the toxic plants are also some of the most beautiful. Datura comes to mind!

LittleWing LittleWing
Jul '14

No problem Fred! Just doing my duty by allowing the current administration to fund feed and educate them! And there is always room in front of the sunrise deli for another landscaper to jump into a pickup for a job opportunity!!! Besides no one offered to to it and it looked like hell. Maybe planting cool but poisonous plant life will reduce vandalism on main street Danstar... Remember last year when they toppled over the planters? Hmmmm maybe datura is a good choice for next year!! Lol to you skippy!

Shaddog Shaddog
Jul '14

One seed from a castor bean plant can kill someone. Sounds like a great thing to have with children and dogs walking around. Not the right kind of thing to put in a public place where you can't monitor them.

Danstar
Jul '14

You could get killed by a car but we allow those on main street, be careful

greenthumb greenthumb
Jul '14

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/toxicagents/ricin.html

again - why would you eat seeds from plants planted in public! I love the plants - they look beautiful.

Skippy Skippy
Jul '14

One toddler accidentally puts a seed in his or her mouth and all of you guys will want Shaddog's head on a plate. Later.

Danstar
Jul '14

Doesn't the HRD water the plants on Main St. early in the morning - like 5 or 6 AM?

They have a special watering truck/gator - could have sworn i saw that truck a few weeks ago - no?

Re: Pocket Gardens on Main

The seeds are protected thorny pod that grows only T the top of tall plants. Then you have to pe them to get to the bean. Awful lot of work for a toddler, don't you think?

Shaddog Shaddog
Aug '14

RU, the BID owes the water truck and the BID waters all the flowers, hanging ones and potted ones.

Christine Christine
Aug '14

Shaddog, we passed by your garden the other day and it's beautiful. Thank you for contributing to the look of Main St.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '14

Shaddog thanks for helping out and being a true Ambassador for HKTWN!

Wendy @ Hkt BID Wendy @ Hkt BID
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.