Scooter Owners?

Scooter Owners?

Does anyone own a Vespa or any other kind of scooter or know anything about them? What kind do you have or would you recommend. Opinions? I'm considering getting one for zipping around locally to save gas and car miles.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Horatio would look adorable on the back with you (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

I ain't lettin' that redneck on my scooter ianimal. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Wouldn't you, in your neck of the woods, risk being shot at and run out of town by an armada of F350's?

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

I love the pink one! This is a great question. I've thought about getting one, too. Looks like so much fun. I don't see many around, though. Wonder why?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '14

IDK either Rebecka with gas prices up so high. I thought about a getting a motorcycle, but I can't go and get a pedi with a motorcycle LOL. Hard to change gears in flip flops or sandals and it could be a potential polish wrecking disaster. ;-) So the scooter makes more sense. Some of them have quite a bit of storage under the seat, so you could definitely make small shopping trips on one.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

Are they street worthy in NJ? Do they need to be licensed and insured? Might not be worth it in the long run.

Christine Christine
Jul '14

Mama's has a vintage scooter that's not that far off from the picture other than it's bright red instead of pink.

Scooters are motorcycles in NJ. That means motorcycle license, plates, and insurance.

ianimal - They'd have to catch her first. Even that pink put put scooter would probably run rings around a F350 and their slow acceleration.

Sandals or flip flops ? YIKES please don't ! As a former motorcycle rider for many years I don't claim to know everything , but I definitely do know that sometimes people will not see you on a bike or scooter and will pull out in front of you so you should be dressed for a crash .

http://www.motorcycle.com/rider-safety/what-to-wear-when-you-ride-and-why-88120.html

Zombo Zombo
Jul '14

"Even that pink put put scooter would probably run rings around a F350 and their slow acceleration."

*Fast* scooters probably have ~7 second 0-60 times. Most economy scooters are probably in the 10-15 second range (if they ever get to 60).

An F350 crew cab with the 6.7L diesel has a 0-60 time between 8 and 9 seconds.

My F150 crew cab with 6.2L hits 60 in just under 7 seconds... of course I probably burn about 3 gallons of fuel to do so.

These ain't your daddy's pickup trucks. They would beat most "muscle cars" from the good 'ole days.

Now, after a few corners the scooter would likely be miles ahead... and you could putt past a lot more gas stations.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '14

Anyone else seeing the funny "Plz buy my Scooterz. Plz." ad come up on the right side of the screen?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '14

Nope . Just an ad for HBO's The Leftovers , which is the most boring stupid series HBO has ever come up with ! You've probably been researching scooters and your web browser is matching the ad to your browsing history.

Zombo Zombo
Jul '14

Motorcycle insurance is really inexpensive, getting your license shouldn't be a big deal. The savings in gas will definitely offset the annual costs of upkeep, insurance, and license renewals if you use it frequently.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jul '14

Mark Mc - Fast scooters like the BMW 600 or the Honda 750 are *under* 6. They aren't vespa di padre either. The Honda is the same as a US NC750 just the controls and screen setup differently.

"Fast scooters like the BMW 600 or the Honda 750 are *under* 6"

They are a slightly different class than the 50-150cc scooters that I think the OP is looking for here. The Honda Silverwing (600cc) costs $9,200 and BMW's *start* north of $10K. It also makes it pretty impressive that my 6,000 pound truck is only 1/2 second behind in a race ;)

$7K will buy you a new motorcycle with 0-60 times in the 3's if you really want bang for the buck.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '14

Moving Sale long valley
Moving sale. Quality furniture,antiques,fishing and hunting stuff,military items and civil war swords.
Hand tools

**Mini gas motorcycle**

Household items,pair of nice lamps
antique Old town canoe and lots of other nice things.
27 hickory lane
long volley
Friday and saturday
8-3pm

Posted on July 17, 2014

For more information, contact pete hagen by filling out the form below

Guppie
Jul '14

Correct Mark, I'm thinking 150 cc. I'm not looking to race anyone, just do errands. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

I've been thinking the same about a CanAm trike! Looks fun and a bit more stable too. Anyone have one?

hktownie hktownie
Jul '14

People buy cycles/scooters to have fun , and don't actually save money on gas in the long run .If you consider the cost of what you want to ride to save gas - it will actually buy enough gas that will never equal that cost savings ! I've experienced it and read several articles on the subject and it's a for fun hobby that costs money just like any other .

Zombo Zombo
Jul '14

Someone commented on the Can Am on another thread. All I can say is have you seen the price of one?

And many cars get better MPG than Can Ams (Can Am hybrid has stalled in prototype status for many years)...

If you buy cheap Chinese 150cc it will not be efficient on gas use. !f you are going to get a 150cc which is really for only around town, I would recommend Honda as they are very efficient and reliable...

When I was at the Bloomsburg 4x4 Jamboree last week there was a Kymco tent set up with some of their ATV's and side by sides for test rides.

We just walked through to browse and although I have not priced out a Honda/Yamaha lately, the Kymco's were far from being cheap (possibly even more expensive). In my opinion I'd rather get the known quality, reliability, and dealer support from a Japanese brand. Kymco dealers may be here today... what about 10 years from now?

Compare the link that Zombo posted. Kymco 50cc scooters are $1599 - $2599. The Honda Metropolitan is $1999. The 300cc Kymco is the same price as the 300cc Honda.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '14

Just another quick comment... the Kymco scooters seem to get decent reviews (for what they are... slow little scooters) but I think if you're going to pay a top tier price - or pretty darn close to it - you may as well get the top tier manufacturer.

It would probably take a price difference of 20-25% for me to make the jump though.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '14

There is really no difference in quality between a Kymco Taiwanese made scooter and a Honda Taiwanese manufactured scooter (show me a fast 150-200cc scooter any make) - just many more choices with Kymco . They are not like the 700 dollar cheapo Chinese junk scooters .Price a Piaggio manufactured Vespa 150 for 5 grand if you want an overpriced scooter . I know a few people who own them and swear by their quality/utility . In fact Kymco started out by making parts for Honda after splitting from Honda in 1963 and is now the official scooter and ATV for the NHRA in the U.S.A .! And where in HE-DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS did my last post disappear to that Mark is responding to !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kymco

http://www.burgersmotorcycles.com/new_vehicle_list.asp?Manufacturer=442&Category=12&CatDesc=Scooters

Zombo Zombo
Jul '14

Found it my mistake ;

For scooters , especially Vespa clones , I'd recommend Taiwanese brand Kymco . Many Japanese models (and Triumph) are now made in Taiwan so that Honda or Yamaha scooter probably is too . Kymco dealers are pretty much as prevalent as Japanese dealers . I would recommend Burgers Motorcycles in Three Bridges right outside of Flemington on route 202 . Best dealer I've ever done business with - for example I have test ridden new and used bikes there . How many dealers will actually let you do that ?

Zombo Zombo
Jul '14

Thanks for the info guys.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

"And where in HE-DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS did my last post disappear to that Mark is responding to ! "

Lol, yeah that was confusing.

Kymco does appear to be one of the better non-Japanese/Italian brands. Everything is cheaper than a Piaggio or Vespa! I guess the moral of the story is shop all brands because the prices are close, and get the one that has the features you like.

That being said (and a bit off topic), for ATV's or side-by-sides intended to work and get abused, I'd definitely stick with a Honda/Yamaha/Polaris over a Kymco.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '14

If I wanted a scooter I'd look at the older Genuine scooters model the two stroke Stella - STELLLUHHH ! It's Indian made and I take it not at all dependable , but probably the closest you can come to an old two stroke Vespa these days . Somehow scooters should just be old school two stroke IMO .

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4559514501.html

Zombo Zombo
Jul '14

While listening to radio on the way to my doctor's appointment in the city today, I heard about "Commute Case". Ever consider one of these?

http://www.slashgear.com/commute-case-electric-scooter-hides-in-a-briefcase-17320892/

Here's a reasonably cheap low mileage 150cc scooter . Capable of doing 60 and getting 80mpg . Also here is a accompanying article testifying to the reliability of Taiwanese made scooters . My Harley riding friend loves his 500cc Kymco Exciting after 4 years of ownership . Not his only bike of course !

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/4580476509.html

http://www.scooterunderground.ca/knowledge/Where_scooters_made.htm

Zombo Zombo
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.