Diamonds: Round vs princess pricing

Were round stones always so much more $ than princess?

my wife lost her princess cut engagement rng in Lake Tahoe last year. We replaced it yesterday and switched to a round. Everything else being equal (g color, vs1, excellent cut, 1.05 ct) the round stones are 50 percent more expensive. Prices for the princess were around 5200. The round? 7700. Yeah. She got the round....oh, and we got it from oneill jewelers in Mansfield. Dan is the man!!

Hdhfu
Jul '14

Why wouldn't you ask the jeweler? I'm sure he would know why there is a price difference.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '14

A princess cut is square, which retains much more of the weight of the original stone than a round diamond, which would have the corners that remain on the princess cut removed.

Therefore, to end up with a similar weight round diamond to a princess cut, the original uncut stone has to be significantly larger, which results in a higher price for the round diamond.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it, besides what ianimal explained, but round stones are classic and timeless and have much more sparkle than princess. I don't know if that makes them more valuable though. I love my round solitaire.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '14

the only thing that matters are the ....4 C's. ~~~~~~~~ Clarity, Cut, Carrot = Cost!!!

scoop scoop
Jul '14

I did some work for a friend who grew up in the middle east as a diamond cutter.
After moving to United States...he worked in the diamond district in NY for 17 years.

I finished the work on two of his homes, and he asked me if I would accept three times what I charged him.

I chuckled, and immediately a funny feeling came to me, like ????? what??

He offered me a diamond....not very large, but a perfect 100% flawless, round;equal faceted, blue white diamond. Worth...$9,000.00
He explained the grades and colors of diamonds, but it went way over my head at that time, but he said, this stone cut which I give for you ( in his notable accent ), can be looked by any jewler that know gem stones, and he is not to find not one flaw or chip on the outside, or on the inside.

Ha Ha Ha... I told my wife,"Hmm, it sure would be a nice down payment on a new car!" .... ( WoW! ....did I get a dirty L00K!" )
That was like 12 years ago! Today I'd be lucky to get $3,000.00 for it!
A jeweler in town told my wife,"Now is not good for diamonds!" Values were down at that time! ..????? I could care less. I see no big deal in having them. That's just me.
I'd sooner have a bottle of "Crown Royal Black" than a diamond on my finger or wherever!

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '14

It certainly takes a lot of carrots to buy a carat worth of very good grade diamond - LOL!

When you think of the fact that they're of relatively the same material as coal (remember the old "Superman" episode where the diamond eye in an idol gets stolen & Superman squeezes a piece of coal until it becomes a diamond to match the lost one?) you have to wonder why there's so much value placed in a more orderly placement of the carbon atoms. The thing is, it's just another mineral/rock and looks like a greasy pebble in nature. It's only when it's cut that it actually becomes a real commodity of value, until then it only has potential value. If the "cutter" makes a mistake-which due to today's modern technology is less likely and the stone shatters rather than cleaves along a natural cleavage plane, the potential value goes in the dumper:-(

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Ha-Ha... spelling police didn't catch my "carrot" for Carat!!! (laughing at myself)

scoop scoop
Jul '14

@ Phil D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I posted, I thought of the same "Superman" episode when he squeezed that hunk of coal.
As a matter of fact.... when as a kid, and seeing that on the TV ( i guess 1957 )
my brother and I ran to the cellar, and grabbed a piece of coal, and gave it to Big Strong Dad to squeeze and make us rich with a diamond!"......

Uh! No! .... We didn't put on a towel as a cape and jump off the third floor porch like "Superman" ! .... I'm sure at times, Mom would wish we would have! LOL

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '14

geeze- we just hauled the coal into the hopper and hauled the ashes out to the garbage - never thought to try that

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

scoop
I caught it, but referred to it in a joking manner. What's really annoying (as a mineral collector and former geology major), is when "respectable" Facebook entities representing gem and/or gold mines post incorrect info about the definition of "karat" as opposed to "carat". They should know, yet they post incorrect info themselves, based on what some other imbecile wrote in some web article, etc.

For anyone interested - in the U.S. (some other countries use carat for our karat, probably based on the "carob seed" origins of the weight/mass designation, however it can lead to confusion):

A "karat" or "k" refers to the percentage purity of gold to other metals alloyed with it. If a ring or necklace is pure 100% gold, it would be 24k gold (however it would be very soft, since gold is quite soft and malleable on its own). If marked 18k, then it's 24k gold alloyed with other metals to make it 75% pure gold by weight 18/24=3/4=75%. The other metals alloyed with it not only make it more durable, but also extend the more valuable gold.

A "carat" or "ct." refers to the absolute weight of a gemstone, either precious or semi-precious (and pearls). A carat is equal to 200 milligrams (0.2 grams) and a term you hear referring to the "side" diamonds in some rings are called "points", which are 2 milligrams (mg.).

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.