Fireworks... idiots

Love it every year there are always idiots who are setting off fireworks.This year was the best, empty lot next to where i live someone thought they would do a small version of the Macy's fireworks.I gotta say wasn't bad but cops were flying over there not soon after.
Wonder if it was worth it ?? The fine was probally more than the fireworks display cost lol.

Patti Patti
Jul '14

NJ is one of FOUR states where Fireworks are completely illegal where as there are forty two where there they are perfectly legal. NJ needs to catch up with the times. No reason for them to be illegal.

There are people who spend thousands on fireworks in PA or other states, bring them to NJ and create spectaculars that rival those that are done in local towns. I know some people that do that and it's a great time with a small group of people. What about cops? Well, when you have a number of law enforcement hanging out and watching the spectacular with you, then it's not too much of a problem ;)

btownguy btownguy
Jul '14

Patti - are you referring to this? http://wrnjradio.com/wrnj-news-department/2014/bomb-squad-called-after-illegal-fireworks-show/

Classic.....

soccermom79 soccermom79
Jul '14

The problem is these idiots set off their fireworks too close to home/cars. One year we had a bottle rock land in the bed of my husbands truck. Messed up the paint. One year I spent 45 minutes picking up the remains of the fireworks that landed on my property. All is fun until someone else is cleaning up your mess. I say leave the fireworks to the professionals.

Nancy Nancy
Jul '14

Thats ridiculous. Bomb squad, really?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '14

Most states still have restrictions and don't allow ariel or explosive fireworks. NJ just happens to be one of the dumb states that doesn't even allow sparklers.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Jul '14

Hey Nancy,
Yip that's the one to funny!!!!!! Move to Pa then.I grew up in Philly and we set off fireworks.NJ doesn't allow it soooooo move or pay i guess. People justlikee to push the limits which is fine but you play you pay.

Patti Patti
Jul '14

oh PS. pipe bombs??????????????????? get real

Patti Patti
Jul '14

(LIKE)

Patti Patti
Jul '14

The estimated prices in fireworks article's always make me laugh, looks like less then 500.00 worth.

If the guy really was using PVC, he is an idiot. PVC should be used for mortars because it will shatter if a shell explodes in the tube, throwing plastic shrapnel in all directions. HDPE should be used as it does not shatter.
You should also have 125 feet of open area (not in the middle of a development).

I would love to see a consumer fireworks license created, and required, so that people at least have basic knowledge before purchasing.

craftbeerlover craftbeerlover
Jul '14

Re: Fireworks... idiots

A few pictures of the last show I did a few years back. I have to skip a few due to finances.

Jul '14

(Picture 2) A few pictures of the last show I did a few years back. I had to skip the past few years due to finances.

Jul '14

(Picture 3) A few pictures of the last show I did a few years back. I had to skip the past few years due to finances.

Guess I can't post the last two pictures until someone else post.

Jul '14

When I was a kid growing up in California. , everyone went to the end of their driveway a shot off fireworks , it was great , but as a adult and thing about fires and injury I think it is best left to professionals ,

Cowgirl1 Cowgirl1
Jul '14

(Picture 4) A few pictures of the last show I did a few years back. I had to skip the past few years due to finances.

Jul '14

(Picture 5) All that was less then $1500.00

Jul '14

man is NOT judged by the size of his fireworks

mbafr2.0 mbafr2.0
Jul '14

Not sure what you mean. I was just discussing a hobby I really enjoy.
Didn't know I was being judged?

Jul '14

craftbeerlover.....THAT IS SOOOOO AWESOME!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '14

"You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out! "

Embryodad Embryodad
Jul '14

Do they still make M-80's?

We were at a very nice (outside) family party yesterday, at one point a family across the street started setting off fireworks...keep in mind this was in Lake Hopatcong and the houses are VERY close! Both dogs at the party panicked and had to go inside and a 5 year old started screaming/crying from fright...kind of stinks that we couldn't avoid the loud noises and didn't have a choice. Party was not as fun since we were all sitting on pins and needles waiting for the next explosion.

IMO, fireworks should be left to professionals and people should have the option to go see them if they want, not be forced to see them!

tripsy tripsy
Jul '14

RU-yes they sure do. My neighbor was shooting them off all day. Animals went into hiding. I think it was very unnecessary. Fireworks to celebrate is one thing. M80's just to be loud is just annoying.

Jul '14

re the article that was posted:

"Officials say due to the amount of explosives on hand, the New Jersey State Police Bomb Squad was notified and will be given the fireworks to be destroyed"

Translated means the police will shoot them at their next party.

sack
Jul '14

"NJ needs to catch up with the times"

this is true, New Jersey is behind the times, way too restrictive for just about everything.

New Jersey is on the wrong side of history.

shooting off fireworks is to be expected on the 4th of July, and i would like to thank my whole neighborhood for lighting up the sky Friday at dusk.

made me feel proud to be an American,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

Breaking the law and lighting off fireworks that may or may not end up in someone's yard and creating a fire hazard made you feel proud to be an American?

I was at the Parsippany show on the 4th. Due to the high winds, a lot of the remnants ended up falling on the crowd. The pieces of were still smoldering and in one instance, a guy picked up a piece and it was still bright red and burning.

After a hot day where things got a chance to dry out, I really wouldn't want some idiot dropping that stuff on my house. If you have multiple acres, sure, go ahead. If you live on postage stamp-sized lots like we have in Hackettstown, you're a douche for shooting stuff in the air.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

Yes, emaxxman, it does. What does it tell you about the law if local and state law enforcement actually ask when your illegal fireworks spectacular is so they can come and watch?

btownguy btownguy
Jul '14

So these same people applauding illegal fireworks are the same ones complaining about dogs off leash in a park. I guess as long as the law suits your needs...or not.

honey badger honey badger
Jul '14

High winds, then it should have been postponed. Shame on Parsippany for not using common sense. It can be very dangerous.

Jul '14

Don't you all just love it that we have to be protected from outselfs with fire works . lol
its the same with every thing in life use your head when doing some thing and remember one basic thing its light match throw firecracker not light match throw match
we need to repeal the fire works law in NJ write letters to the law makers

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '14

"Translated means the police will shoot them at their next party."

My brother in law's father was a police officer... he said that as a kid they had the best fireworks shows in the neighborhood from all off the confiscated goods.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Jul '14

that's what happens where i live, the cops houses have the biggest and best fireworks shows every 4th of July

i have also spoken with many LEO's who have told me the same thing Mark, they confiscate the fireworks from the public, (because it's against the law in NJ to have them) and then 'redistribute' the confiscated 'illegal' fireworks for 'proper' disposal.

this means they set them off at their backyard picnics.

that's why the cops have the best 4th of July displays.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

"Mansfield Township police were patrolling Riva Drive at 10 p.m. on Independence Day when they came upon a large group of individuals standing in a parking lot, police said.

The officers then found a “large quantity” of illegal assorted fireworks set on the pavement, connected by fuses and ready to be lit, police said. An investigation revealed Christopher Rosequist, 32, of Mansfield Township, was the owner of the fireworks, police said.

Due to the large quantity of fireworks – an estimated retail price of $2,000 to $3,000 – the New Jersey State Police Bomb Squad was required to take possession of the goods, police said.

Rosequist was issued a summons and released."

http://longvalley.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/bomb-squad-needed-to-diffuse-illegal-fireworks-display-cops-say

What fun is the 4th of July without fireworks? It's a tradition, and it doesn't take a professional to light them safely....just use a little common sense. Thankfully, I have neighbors who appreciate the awesome fireworks!

Tourney2 Tourney2
Jul '14

Seems like we have the law because too many people lack common sense. Even with the law though, those people are still out there. This year was fine because it rained a couple days ago, but people still do this even in really dry years. People don't think about the fire risk and just shoot em off regardless.

One year my neighbors sparks flew over and burned holes in the spare tire cover on my car, it fell apart and had to be tossed.

I miss sparklers though, and those can be controlled better. Remember when we used to just buy them at the Jigger Shoppe and light them in the back yard. Also used to be able to buy little boxes of caps there.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '14

I'm not against some fireworks at a reasonable hour, but the idiot who lives behind me started at 915 in the morning! annoying firecrackers and bottle rockets for 6 hour straight until the cops showed up around 330 in the afternoon. My dog was freaked out, and we couldn't have a good morning due to this drunk asshole! To top it off, he thinks we called the cops, but we didn't, someone else did....Keep in mind this is a residential area so he has neighbors on all sides. He thought it was his right, because it was July 4th

deviljet
Jul '14

craftbeerlover, I would have loved to park nearby and watch the shows you put on.

LV Mom
Jul '14

LV Mom - we have had a people pull up our lane and watch (including a state trooper).
We usually have about 50+ people watch, most are just family/friends of our neighbors. There are only a few houses on our lane, and they all schedule their picnic's to the day of the show.

Agree with Tourney2, it doesn't take a professional, just a little training and common sense. Every year we hear about the same accidents in the fireworks forums I read. The majority are misuse, and involve excess of alcohol. For example, holding a shell in their hands and lighting it, holding a mortar tube (instead of placing it on the ground), or impatiently looking down the tube to see why the shell didn't lift, etc..

Also, FYI - M80, Quartersticks, etc are not really fireworks, they are firecrackers. Due the amount of flash powder they contain (more than 50mg), they are not legally sold anywhere in the US.

Jul '14

A video of my last finale.

http://vimeo.com/100170445

Jul '14

Holy crap! That was AWESOME craftbeerlover!!! I want to come to your next show!!!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '14

M80's not sold legally in the US, but underground for sure.

Jul '14

fireworks are only illegal because:

a) irresponsible morons don't handle them correctly and blow their hands off, set things on fire or make bad decisions with them and authorities take the wrong route to a remedy by making everyone pay.

b) the fines bring in revenue to the towns and state (just like red light camera tickets and speeding tickets for going even 10 over)

c) license fees, though hard to come by unless you're a fire dept or a well known amusement organization, are pretty high, so there's a ca$h in for that too.

There really aren't any sane reasons for an outright ban. A limit, eh, maybe, but you'd make a decent amount on people who buy. Oh, look another fun thing they could tax!!!

Elvin Elvin
Jul '14

@craftbeerlover very nice show. No, you cant get M80"s anymore. their use was originally for the military to simulate gun fire. I dont remember the grams used to make them , but it was just flash powder and some filler packed loosely. as a kid my family went to Tijuana we came home with all sorts of big loud stuff. Im pretty sure they are still common in the south west due to people bringing them over the border. And you can always find a friend of a friends uncle who gets them black market. We use to get them in china town nyc you just had to ask around, but they got very costly over the years. 35 yrs ago they went for .25 cents each. last time I had M80's payed a buck each and that was a while ago. always remember flash powder is pressure sensitive. so be careful

Very nice craftbeerlover!

LV Mom
Jul '14

Fireworks going off again in Hackettstown. Its the end of July,give it a rest!!!

molly
Jul '14

Fireworks? I can't look. You gotta be kidding me. Humans are full of themselves.

Sugar Sugar
Jul '14

I went to take the dog out before and couldn't understand why she firmly planted herself at the front door and wouldn't move....until I dragged the poor thing out and heard the fireworks. Poor baby. Sorry Lucky.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '14

It's this going on

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/07/a_holly_jolly_summer_christmas_in_july_celebrations_planned_throughout_nj.html

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '14

@Molly what you are saying is that fireworks are only for the 4th of July ?

Dadof3
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.