Breastfeeding and anti-anxiety meds?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or know which is the most compatible/least to pass through to the baby?

what kind of meds do you take? name? main active ingredient?

Please speak with your Dr.

Please speak with your Dr.

Ben

You mean there are no Doctors here on HL

Agree, I don't think anyone on here is qualified to give any medical advice. True some may have had a similar experience (on this or any medical problem), but check with your Dr. or if one prefers a website, try webmd.com

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Apr '14

I'm not on meds yet - just considering the option. But - I don't want to impact the baby via nursing. MDs may (or may not depending on their familiarity with BF issues) be as able to comment someone who's gone that route. Thanks though.

I'd love to hear back from Psyc. :-)

I think it's fairly common sense that you shouldn't give psychoactive drugs to an infant, either directly or via breast milk.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

I am a breastfeeding mama with anxiety and I'm not comfortable taking meds due to not enough research out there on the effects on the baby. I read online that women that breastfed after taking a xanax caused there babies to be lethargic. I take a vitamin B 100 Complex, 1000 mg Vitamin C and a D3 everyday and that has helped my anxiety tremendously. I still have some anxiety from my triggers but I am perfectly fine with the day to day things now. Usually a little peppermint oil or even a peppermint Altoid (they use real oil, not artificial flavoring) usually calms me when I do have an anxiety attack as well deep breathing and telling myself it'll pass just it always has before. I do recommend speaking with your OB or pediatrician as they should know what's safe or not. If you will be seeing a psychiatrist they should know as well. Good luck!

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '14

BF,
usually, it's a good practice to stay away from synthetic medications and even naturals (read herbal) ones, as they will be transferred to infant thru breastfeeding. Even an emotional state will alter your milk. I know one pregnant woman who was given the pills (don't remember the name of it) to lower her "high" blood pressure. Those pills were not even check by FDA for safety!!!
Jrsemom is correct - vitamins do help but.... not a few single vitamins/minerals. You ought to take them as a "kit" - most of them should be from the food (generally quality veggies/fruits, milk products and meat/liver). The rest of "missing" vitamins/minerals/elements could be obtained in a form of supplements (again - quality ones, as most over-the-counter ones are full of "stuff") .
"Trust" the docs, but always verify what they'll say. Don't worry and good luck!

There is a publication, Medication and Mother's Milk, that many doctors and breast feeding consultants use to answer your question.

http://www.amazon.com/Medications-Mothers-Milk-Lactational-Pharmacology/dp/096362198X

Have you tried speaking with someone from Le Leche?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

I did try asking someone from La Leche - but (and I understand why) - she didn't want to comment (prob for fear of seeming to recommend something) one way or the other unless it was something I was already being prescribed.

I'm interested and would prefer the natural route, but am about at wits end with this anxiety. Can the one who posted regarding a "kit" elaborate on that? Thanks much to all for your thoughts!

jrsemom - How long have you been BFing, and has the anxiety gotten better with time, or stayed the same while improving with the vitamin regimen you're doing? Also, how much vit D3 are you taking?

BF,
The "kit"... we (living organisms) need the vitamins, minerals, trace elements to be alive. Some of them are needed in larger or smaller quantities. I call it a "kit" for a simplicity. The kit "consists" Amino Acids, Minerals, Trace elements, Vitamins.
Most miltivitamins don't have all of them.
Amino Acids: Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanie, Threonine, Tryptophan, Valine.
Minerals: Calcium, Chloride, Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium, Phosphate.
Trace Elements:Cobalt, Chromium, Copper, Fluorine (with our water supply - questionable), iron, Iodine, Manganese, molybdenum, Selenium, Zinc.
Vitamins: (for nerves - B complex), otherwise all. Plus plenty of water!

Lavender could be used as aromatherapeutic relief (nerves, nerves, nerves) - short term fix. Proper, quality diet - long term fix.
Sorry to be boring...

I agree you should see your doc about this.

I had horrible anxiety for the last few months that I was nursing. Found out it was due to lyme./ Anyhow was told that i could NOT take anything for it, as far as a prescription anxiety med. was concerned.

littlelu littlelu
Apr '14

My son is almost 16 months and still breastfeeds. For some reason over the summer my anxiety got real bad. In September I was at the point that just leaving my house would trigger an attack and I couldn't take it anymore. That's when I started taking the B complex and C. I started noticing a difference after about a week and a big difference after a few weeks to a month. About a month ago I started taking the D3 (1000 ui) and a 1200 mg fish oil/omega 3. Since starting the vitamin regimen my anxiety has definitely gotten better.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '14

I concur - the doctor is the only one who can answer this and a therapist, short term, could be very helpful.

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

I agree. Talking with your doctor is the only way to get the correct answers.

Did you get the anxiety because of childbirth, or is it just something you have had?
Just curious.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

if it sounds like a bad idea, it probably is. if it were me and i had to be on medication, i would switch to formula.

Poppy Girl
Apr '14

magnesium is calming as well

icicle icicle
Apr '14

I only started having anxiety after the baby was born, so this is new...and awful! I wouldn't consider meds except that it's not fixing itself, and I try to eat well/exercise/etc. I understand that it can happen to a lot of new moms.

BF - your anxiety could also be hormonal.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '14

How old is the baby?

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Please please talk with your doctor before taking anything - even a "kit" of vitamins/minerals/amino acids - I was involved evaluating individuals who had taken a particular "natural" amino acid as a supplement - not regulated, as it is "natural" and it produced a permanent neurological disorder - debilitating - it was removed from the market - but understand that many supplements are NOT regulated/tested and just because someone else is ok taking it doesn't mean you will be -or more to the point, that it won't affect your baby - people are misled by the sales claims of "natural" supplements or even vitamins - some of which you can take too much of - and have negative reactions - some severe - please talk to your medical doctor

pmnsk pmnsk
Apr '14

You could also be experiencing PPD. It isn't always something that shows itself right away. Because of this, you absolutely need to see your OBGYN about this and tell them everything you are experiencing emotionally, physically, and mentally. There are ways to treat it but you need to seek out medical advice and guidance in order to get the right treatment for you, not what may have worked for someone else w. a difference body chemical makeup and diagnosis.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

Exactly ladeevee - this is critical to your physical and mental health and your baby's---I don't believe this is a matter up for opinions - it's a medical question--- please please call your doctor. If for some reason you're not comfortable with your dr. perhaps you should call All About Women.

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

I hear ya...I will do so. I need to find a good doc b/c my OB dismissed me from care after baby was born 12 weeks ago. She wanted to induce me bc baby was late, and I didn't want that (and didn't think he was really late), so I asked to wait. She made me sign a waiver about going against her opinion to induce on a Friday, and the baby came (healthy, right size and with no complications) very late on Sunday/early Monday. Does it have to be an OBGYN who deals with PPD?

I highly rec my group,Understanding Women. They are located on Bilby Rd in Hackettstown and do a great job listening. They also were very proactive about screening for PPD after delivery and the year throughout.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

you can go to any doctor about PPD and I suggest you do it sooner rather than later. I had SEVERE PPD with my first, the anxiety was so bad I began having panic attacks and depression and it really never fully went away. I am now diagnosed PTSD because I keep on having very manic episodes, usually for 2 months out of the year even though I do take medicine every day. I wish, looking back, Id sought help much much sooner. After my 2nd was born, which was mentally a horrifying pregnancy I got right back on medicine and chose to formula feed my baby. I hope that's helpful for you. If you need to talk please email me.

icicle icicle
Apr '14

Anxiety meds do pass through your nursing infant. Talk to your doc and get a 2nd opinion to feel more comfortable. Vitamin D may help. Your reaction IS normal and probably hormonal. Depending on how serious your anxiety is, meds may be needed if the benefits outweigh the harm. Kudos to you for seeking input.

bobbie1975 bobbie1975
Apr '14

You can most definitely breastfeed while on anti-anxiety meds. I am currently doing that very thing. Do not be persuaded to switch to formula, unless that is your own decision based on your own comfort level. Of course, no meds would be ideal - I would love that, too. But, to take an anti-anxiety if needed is far better than allowing depression and/or anxiety attacks to worsen - that is far worse for baby! Both my OB and my internist were in agreement that Zoloft is the safest for pregnancy and breastfeeding. I believe very little passes into the breastmilk, but can't give you the exact measurements. Be well and enjoy that little one!!

nursingmama nursingmama
Apr '14

B vitamin supplementation is always a good idea, cutting out caffeine and sugar from your diet will reduce anxiety significantly.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.