What can I plant now? GC will know the answer

Is it too early to plant Hostas? What about all the other plants they are selling now?

Nosila Nosila
Apr '14

my hostas are popping up, so I cant imagine its too early...

Natalie Natalie
Apr '14

I personally would wait another week or so. Deer LOVE hostas!

kayaking kayaking
Apr '14

Yikes, a personalized question? ;-) We've got a load of great gardeners around.

Other than things that hate cold like a hydrangea or annuals, and bulbs that are blooming now, just about everything can be planted now. Hostas are just starting to grow so that's just the right time to get them planted. But it's a good point - nothing will draw deer better than hosta & hydrangea. Positive deer filet mignon. If you've got a deer problem to begin with, that's the last thing you want to be growing.

Actually I have polite deer around here....I guess because I feed them they are grateful and decide to leave my plants alone

Nosila Nosila
Apr '14

"Actually I have polite deer around here" -

When they lower the window on their Rolls, do they ask for Grey Poupon?? Send them over my way, I'd be happy to trade some gourmet mustard for not eating my plants or roaming around the yard. ;-)

Spray your plants with deer out you can get it at tickner's.

It's ok to plant now, just water them. Check donaldson's for whatever you're looking for, they have the best plants.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Apr '14

I found if you start spraying now w. the deer repellent, they learn to just stay away from certain zones and very rarely do I need to spray after about a month and a half of reapplying when needed. I have hosta that pretty much needs thinning every year because the deer stay away from it now. As for the local bear who decided to make a power bar out of our suet feeder...that's a different story.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.