Kentucky Derby

A dream come true. Husband and I are driving out to the Kentucky Derby in our 1983 VW Westphalia Vanagon. Putting together my outfit and derby hat. If the forum members would like to put a consensus together and pick the top 3 finishers that might be fun. I would place a bet for the forum group. Will send pictures along the way. What do you think?

just coach just coach
Apr '14

So Jealous!! Have a fantastic time!! We go down to the Meadowlands every year to place our bets. Still to far out to make my solid picks, but if I were betting today I would pick Midnight Hawk (I always bet the grey) and Wicked Strong.

Please post your hat I love seeing what people pick

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

LOL.. I thought at first we were to pick the top 3 finishers for your outfit and hat! Sounds like a wonderful trip, drive safely and enjoy! Look forward to the pics.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '14

I agree, need to see the hat and will post my picks later...it's on our bucket list too! Can't wait to hear about your trip

Bessie Bessie
Apr '14

Grays never won for me. I was going with Bayern but he didn't make the field. Now I will go with Danza. .

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

California Chrome will win the Kentucky Derby IMO. He has 150 Derby Points. He won the Santa Anita Derby which is the race that launched I'll Have Another. He has been training so awesomely at Los Alomitos. He is not a gate to wire horse normally but can be. He is a finisher. California Chrome loves to be third on the outside and when they kick for home, he makes his move. California Chrome is the class of the field, he has done the best in the preps. He is simply better than this crowd. I have watched him singe the Del Mar futurity races las summer and i became an instant fan. Also, with Victor Espinosa on board this horse is reaching his potential. This is a special horse and if he is outside the rail behind the current leader, watch out. California Chrome will kick for home and win by 3 or more.

My pick for the 2014 Kentucky Derby is California Chrome. A true California Bred. He is carrying the banner for California.

singlemaleinnj singlemaleinnj
Apr '14

I'll be keeping an eye on Wicked Strong.

just coach just coach
Apr '14

Have fun! My BIL and his wife have gone in the past and the pictures always look like it's a great time, esp the fun hats :)

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

Brad Thomas - Monmouth Park handicapper guy knows his horses.

A favorite Cairo Prince....out of Derby injured ankle. :-(

just coach just coach
Apr '14

Re: Kentucky Derby

For those who asked about the hat. This is the before picture. Large straw floppy hat with pink brim. Will be a flower garden theme. Also have a hat for Friday's Kentucky Oaks when the fillies run. Hats will be done next Monday care of Michael's store.

justcoach justcoach
Apr '14

Can't wait to see the After picture!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

Don't forget the Mint Julip. I went to Churchill Downs a few years ago and sat with a gentleman who was 104 yrs young. That was better than the races. I didn't go to the Derby. We went a couple weeks later to the Stephen Foster Day races. Lots of fun. Strange location. Not at all what I expected. Have a wonderful time.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '14

What a great picture, Ms Fishy!!!

joyful joyful
Apr '14

Actually that photo was taken at another location where Mr. Barnes son was racing on a track. I did meet him at Churchill Downs though.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '14

Here's the paddock area.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '14

I like California Chrome and Wicked Strong... I just need the right horse to fill out my trifecta. Any dark horses you guys like to place or show?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

one of my VERY early likes is Samraat, Rain will increase my feelings on this beast
Can't go wrong w/ Jose Ottiz on his back and being a A horse.

Ignatz Ignatz
Apr '14

Very excited to be leaving tomorrow night for the Kentucky Derby. Hope to see the first woman jockey to win the Derby. Rosie Napravnik is riding Vicar's in Trouble in the Derby. Rosie has a real chance to win. Rosie is also riding the favorite in the sister race to the derby The Kentucky Oaks on Friday. Could she win both?? Wow!! AND Rosie is from Morristown NJ. Pictures of hats coming soon.

just coach just coach
Apr '14

Rosie drew post position #1. Darn not good.

just coach just coach
Apr '14

Prayers that they all cross the finish line in one piece..jocks too.

pampurr pampurr
May '14

Midnight Hawk is out of the race.. My revised picks are now...

Wicked Strong (just because I love the name)
Harry's Holiday (because I had an Uncle named Harry)
Vicar's in Trouble (because the rider is a Jersey Girl)

LOL ~ what reasons to play the ponies...

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '14

Hoppertunity, one of the favorites at 6-1, has recently scratched as well.

I'm leaning toward Samraat to round out my trifecta... what that means is he will break his leg in turn 2 so you would be wise putting your money elsewhere, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '14

I am sticking with Danza boxed. Have a fun safe time Coach.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '14

@iPhone-imal,

I see you liked my pick.

Ignatz Ignatz
May '14

On the road. Left 8 pm last night. Passing beautiful farms. Arrive Louisville 6 pm. Hat pictures out by night time.

just coach just coach
May '14

Can't wait to see Just Coach!! Have a great time and post lots of pictures!!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '14

I did a little research, Ignatz, and I liked what I read. Thanks for the recommendation.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '14

Arrived in Louisville. RV's are huge. From Calif. Ontario. Texas.Kansas. Maine. Vermont. Tenn. Arizona. New York. Washington. Just to name a few.

just coach just coach
May '14

Rosie's Mom went to my High School so I pick Rosie. It will be great to see a women jockey finish 1st.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
May '14

Trying to upload pictures from my phone. Even as a jpeg it won't let me . Any suggestions.

just coach just coach
May '14

We Miss Artie

Mike L Mike L
May '14

Derby in one hour. Its absolutely CRAZY here. Will upload pictures when Iget home. Rosie wins the big Kentucky Oaks yesterday. My hat is getting a lot of comments.

just coach just coach
May '14

Hope you had a great time!! Safe travels on your way home.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
May '14

California Chrome is magnificent in person. Over 140,000 people attended. The roar of the crowd and the thunder of the horses as they pass the grandstand is unbelievable. Downside: Churchill Downs built luxury boxes on the infield and you cannot see the horses race. Forced to look at a big screen tv. Loved wearing the hat and had a ton of fun receiving comments and people asking if they could take a picture. Socializing at the Derby is the best. More later.

just coach just coach
May '14

That is one beautiful hat - thanks for sharing.

wbeleno wbeleno
May '14

Triple Crown for my guy........... California Chrome.........

singlemaleinnj singlemaleinnj
May '14

That is quite the hat! I didn't place a bet but my sister did and hit an exacta, $340.00 for a $2.00 bet. Needless to say she was very happy. Hope you share some more pictures.

Bessie Bessie
May '14

Request for hat pictures....here is a sample.

just coach just coach
May '14

1 more

just coach just coach
May '14

another one of me and a guy hat. There were tons of men wearing great hats too.

just coach just coach
May '14

Made by the woman in the picture. Said it took her 5 hours. Picture does not do her justice. Stunning.

just coach just coach
May '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.