QiGong?

So my nutritionist suggested to me this week that I start a Mind/Body practice such as Yoga or QiGong to eliminate some stress and bring some balance into my life. I've attempted Yoga in the past and just can't seem to get the hang of it. Does anyone here practice QiGong or a form of it? Thanks in advance

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

I thought QiGong was a Star Wars character.

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

I'll be following this one- always looking for ways to reduce stress (I suffer from chronic, severe tension headaches), I have ways that work for me (yoga isn't one of them)... but hopefully this will be an interesting discussion.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '14

JrzyGirl88 - Have you considered taking one of Stan's Tai Chi classes? He posts here on HL.

Have you considered a Chi machine? Google it. It might be what you want.

justjc3
Apr '14

GC to be honest I was never one that followed threads like this because I didn't think it would be something that I would be into, but I will look into his classes further, thanks for the suggestion.

JR ~ I had to google what it was myself. Never heard of it before she suggested it. Not sure if it will be for me, but willing to try it.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

Its great,look into it.

Just being in the same room with Stan relieves tension and as one who also couldn't get the hang of yoga, his form of tai chi is very subtle which is good for me a very slow learner. He is also really good in taking cues from you and correcting form. And after watching a quick youtube of QiGong, I'd say Stan's classes would be a good start. So, another vote for Stan.

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

I always thought Tai Chi was a form of Karate and never considered it. Thanks everyone! I'm a bit clumsy and klutzy so need something not too difficult LOL!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

I tried Tai Chi --- unfortunately it was not for me ---I am clumbsy and impatient - and so the slow and exact movements didn't work - but I know people who do it and love it --

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

JrzyGirl88 & 5catmom - Stan's classes are exactly aimed at improving your balance. He starts so simply and is so relaxed it's not like traditional Tai Chi. He works a lot with seniors so you should be just fine.

well JrzyGirl - since we've been walking regularly perhaps I'd try this with you -

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Chi machine sounded interesting. When I look around online there are many brands and price ranges for these. Does anyone use one, recommend any particular brand?
This would be good for my husband too.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '14

Would love that 5cat, enjoy our walks and our chats! And you have experienced my clumsiness first hand so wouldn't be too embarassing in front of you! I will have to research Stan's classes

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

@justjc3 thanks for the suggestion, but I think going to an actual class would force me to be more "in the moment" if I had to lay down on the floor with that machine I would be thinking of the baseboards that need to be dusted or the floor needs vacuuming etc.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

hktownie -- yes I have the chi vitalizer and when I use it regularly it is very beneficial for me. I bought mine many years ago from a place called All About Massagers online. I have mine on a massage table.

justjc3 justjc3
Apr '14

wow... thanks for all the KUDOS :)

JrzyGirl88 - I would love to have you stop by and try a class... the sessions at the Awakening Point location are small groups and intimate... and the students are very open to all who come.

5catmom - I would bet you could do my version of Tai Chi ... maybe not after two classes, but you would catch on more quickly than you think :)

Here is a link to some info on classes : http://chimanstan.wordpress.com/stans-flexibility-and-movement-classes/

Stan ~ Everyone here has such great things to say about you. I found your Meetup page and think I will be coming to your "short form" class next Monday as long as a beginner is welcome to that particular class. Do I have to bring anything with me?

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

JrzyGirl - just comfortable clothing that allows you a good range of motion, a smile and a willingness to let yourself relax and not fret about "not getting things right" :)

Looking forward to meeting you!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.