Crape Myrtle

Does anyone have experience planting a crape myrtle in their yard - if so, what type of crape myrtle, how is it held up to the harsh winter months in this area. Any other suggestions on crape myrtle like trees. Looking for 15-25ft tall and 10-20ft wide at full maturity. Thanks.

AaronAl AaronAl
Apr '14

Follow up in a couple weeks- I planted one last year.

As of now it doesn't look like it's going to come back but I could be wrong

Nosila Nosila
Apr '14

If you want crape myrtles in your yard, you need to move south.

redneck redneck
Apr '14

I have a crape myrtle...(started out as a cutting from my sister's tree). Has grown like a weed. Planted on the north side of house and the winds/weather don't seem to be an issue. Planning on moving it this spring as it is too large for its current spot. Don't give up...they are beautiful come summer.

Nancy Nancy
Apr '14

The ones I have seen planted down the shore are covered/wrapped with burlap in the winter. They are beautiful when in bloom so I guess you could always give it a try and cover it in the winter?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

I received two small ones from my aunt a few years back. Hardly grew the first year, practically dead the second. Never had any luck with that. I think one issue I had was in a spot that was just too clay.

I looked into it since my parents have two gorgeous ones at their home in MD. What I came up with from reading up on various sites and varieties was soil content and exposure to elements play a big role in their success in our colder zone. I had to give up the dream for some in my yard since we have such strong winds. But, maybe w. a good quiet zone in your yard and the right soil/light exposureand needed winterizing you will be able to. We're on that border of the yes/no for growing them.

ladeevee ladeevee
Apr '14

Thanks for the info everyone - its a toss up between a crape mytrle, which from the sounds of it, may not do too well up this way or a Dogwood Kousa, that seems to fit well for this region. Only concern I have is the berries this tree produces, does anyone have any experience with this. Does it get messy.

AaronAl AaronAl
Apr '14

I have a beautiful deep rose colored one that was planted about four years ago. It has made it through just fine so far. And, I see new growth on it!

ms_warren_county ms_warren_county
Apr '14

We have a Kousa dogwood. The berries aren't really much of a problem because it is planted where there is some grass. The dog likes to eat them after they have fallen and started to ferment (yuck!) and the birds like them too. If it is planted next to a sidewalk, I could see the berries possibly staining it. But it is a nice small tree.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '14

My neighbors have a kousa in the very back corner where our properties meet. The berries are not really a problem. And the tree is thriving. If you like it, that would be a much better choice.

I have 2 crape myrtles in my yard, and they have survived 3 winters here. They are a dwarf variety, more of a bush than a tree. Planted close to the house as foundation plantings which probably helps their exposure--I don't think they would do as well in the middle of a yard. They looked pretty bad after the first winter, and I always swear they're done for, but they come back beautiful. Mine don't flower until late June-July. I have not covered them either.

Davis Davis
Apr '14

You can grow the tree or the shrub type here; check the variety to be sure it's tolerant of the zone. The kousa is a beautiful tree also. The berries are mostly eaten by the birds so the mess is minimal. Hard choice because both are beauties; I planted both!!!

tropicalgardens tropicalgardens
Apr '14

forgot; the kousa berries have seeds that propagate very easily; take away the 'fruit' part of the berry and save the seeds; after they stratify (cold treatment) you can plant them and they will germinate at about 90%. Great stuff

tropicalgardens tropicalgardens
Apr '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.