Djimbe or other Drum Circles Are there any in area ?

Several months ago I rec'd a Djimbe Drum as a gift. I have never played any musical instrument BUT truly love this. Stress less and just follow your thoughts. Are there any Drum Circles in the area ? Thanks

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Apr '14

If you are FaceBook check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/njdrummers/

lala
Apr '14

By the way, this guy Mark Wood is the man. I had the pleasure of attending a djimbe drum circle session that he led. He's in North Jersey.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20140406/NJNEWS/304060011/Rockaway-man-using-drums-change-lives

lala
Apr '14

Ok, last post on this topic :) I just got so excited when I saw this thread because, although I only experienced a drum circle once it was awesome. Your thread just brought back the fun memory of that day. Here's something I found while googling, I know it's in Princeton, but it sounds like fun. They have stuff once a month it looks like. Have fun and enjoy it!!

http://www.princetonyoga.com/teachers/mark-wood/

lala
Apr '14

Lala.. Thanks so very much for info on Mark Wood. The Drum is so very special. I can't play a CD ...but a drum just talks to you.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Apr '14

I went to Mark Woods Drum Circle last night at Princeton Yogi in Skillman. It was a wonderful and amazing 2 hours. Anyone interested in starting a Circle locally, just to gather and play where ever the drum leads us to ? There are NO wrong notes with a drum...... Perhaps with a Church group, or at a Sr Center, at our home...where ever........ Flutes and other instruments to compliment would be terrific.....There was a woman there last night who had had a stroke. She could handle the tambourine, and shakers. Her Smile lite up the entire room. And she got up and danced with those that wanted to express the moment... I talked to her after the session, She said that time is the best therapy she has.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

Check out Awakening Point.. they do some drum circle stuff

Talk to Mary Ellen about the drum guy.

http://www.awakeningpoint.com/

I'm game if you can get a circle started... out in Missoula, Montana I would go to them on occasion. They had drum circles quite often there considering it was a community that was more concerned with arts and culture (rather than sports and keeping up with the Joneses).

I have a small djembe, and I also make my own instruments... like washtub basses, PVC pipe didgeridoo's and whatnot. Actually I have a Moog theremin and would love to play that with 20 person backing drum circle. That would be worth recording.

Just keep the thread up and let me know if you find a place. (Out in Missoula on summer nights they would hold them on public and state parks outside... maybe see if the Stephens State Park "island" would work)

Shawn Shawn
May '14

Thank you Stan, I will call her tomorrow. Shawn I sent you a pm.... It would be great to get a group together, Especially that warm weather is here for outside circles. Anyone who might be interested Google and watch some groups. Dance, Hoop & fire can also be included.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

Very interested, let me know Jo Anne ~ :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
May '14

I went to Dave Phillips Music in Allentown Pa last night. They have a Drum Circle first Wed of every month. It is $5.00. Drums available to use. There was about 45 people there. All ages and a terrific group. Moe Jerant is amazing leader. Check out their website for many things coming up.

Still need to call Awakening Point...been busy.... Will keep you posted.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

Chuck Wood - Hackettstown.

Dhamaru
www.dhamaru.com/‎
Comprised of multi-percussionist, Chuck Wood, of New Jersey, and guitarist / vocalist, Colin Allured, of North Carolina, Dhamaru represents an uplifting new ...

Justice4d
May '14

There is a yoga studio on 94 in Blairstown that has those. I can't remember the name though. They do them inside and outside in the woods.

emily1 emily1
May '14

Instead of going else where... lets just make one here.

We can find out if Stephens State park allows get togethers. The woods past the hospital. Or over in Chester there is a state park (you know where the Sopranos show killed a guy in the early seasons... :). Anyway lets just find some local land that allows a small get together and go from there. If necessary we can create a Facebook page.

I have so many instruments it is a little crazy and we can always find more for people interested. It is not necessary to go elsewhere to do this. In fact we can create a drum circle, a flute circle, a bluegrass circle... anything. It just takes a little planning and emails to proper land authorities. If no one wants to do this, I will, assuming we have enough interested parities.

Ah... hell I will do it anyway, I miss the drum circles out west...

Shawn Shawn
May '14

Oh...just thought of it. The place on Rt 94 in Blairstown is The Breathing Room. They have drum circles, yoga, meditation, belly dance classes, etc.

emily1 emily1
May '14

Thanks Emily...I know exactly where it is, By Wilbur's Country Store.

Shawn I have several friends with horse farms and nice open spaces. Talked to friend from Johnsonburg, right outside of Blairstown last night. I have 3 gals that play the flute, one will certainly attempt the drum and open to any kind of musical instruments, & expressional dancing. We are hoping to get a date planned in next couple weeks and let you know. Excited for the interest....

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

Please continue to let us know of interest in a group. It is fine with 5 or 6, even better with 12 or 20...... Shawn I am busy like all of us...working on a website and odd jobs.. You come up with a location.... in state lands.. we are there ! I am collecting more used instruments and drums... Folks, a pot lid works just as well if you have the Spirit !

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

Love it! :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
May '14

Shawn... I have other friends showing interest in a informal circle just to see what it is like... I'll keep at it... Hopefully will have more time after next week and Jury Duty to do more ! Thanks for all interest...

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

I am actually waiting to hear back from some emails... My instinct says any public land should have the basic rights of assembly.... But then again sometimes what makes sense isn't the way it works.

Shawn Shawn
May '14

Mt Lake is opened to the public. The grassy side by the Old Lodge would be a great setting with the lake right in front of us. I have a group of about 5 or 6 people, just from sitting on the porch and playing the drum. I will inquire make sure of times allowed to be there and set a date in June. All would be welcomed. A friend said she attended several and just played on a spackle bucket..That works. Any instrument, no set agenda..just a boom box with any kind of music we decide.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

Nice...Jo Anne

Firefly Firefly
May '14

Very nice ~ thank you! Looking forward to it :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
May '14

Hello! This is all new to me, and as I read these posts, I am very intrigued and a bit excited!

Are you folks going to have a local gathering? If so, can I come with my 13 year old son? Would someone be so kind as to let me know?

Melissa
manolan7711@hotmail.com

Oh YES Melissa, I will keep your email and keep you posted as well as on here.
I play along with any kind of music..The other night we even just did nursery rhymes for a bit and laughed so hard as none of us could remember all the words so we made up our own. I especially love {RIP} Olatunji Babatunde....easy to follow any of his beats. You can Utube him and others...Djembe Drums....as well Bongos and Congos. With the drum you can tap it, slap it and just enjoy it ! Many used ones are available on Auction sites. I have bought several and will be glad to have people use them for a Circle.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
May '14

Thank you!! I eagerly await a date!!
Melissa

I have a drum for sale, if anyone is interested. PM me for details.

kayaking kayaking
May '14

Will be coming up with a date to meet at Mt Lake....But wanted to let all know there is a Drum, Dance & Fire Circle this Sat June 7th at 8pm Princeton Yogi Center in Skillman. $ 15.00. I went last month it was amazing.. contact Mark Wood....at markinfo@woodndrums.com To reserve a drum.

Also [ 6/4 tomorrow] Wed night at Dave Phillips Music in Allentown 6:45 info on their website. $5.00 donation.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Jun '14

It will be a terrific weather for outside Drum, Fire, Dance and Hoop Circle at Princeton Yogi..in Skillman at 8 pm....TONIGHT ! They have a website. Or look up Mark Wood on Facebook.

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Jun '14

I'm reading this thread and it sounds so interesting and fun. I need some sort of therapy for my RA as I'm home and not moving enough for the last 4 years. I love drums and would like to come if I could muster up the courage. I have two sons as well who have anxiety disorders who I would love to come too. Don't know if I could get them to but I think it would be beneficial to us all. So I'm lurking in the background and following this thread. excitedly lol.

jaemae jaemae
Jun '14

Has anyone considered Villa Madonna? There's a lot of space out side and many beautiful rooms inside if weather isn't cooperating. There's woods and the water. There's the great lawn behind the mansion. Just a thought.

jaemae jaemae
Jun '14

what about the pavilion at Alumni Field? that's a good spot. and it's local.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '14

Can someone explain how a drum circle works?

Challah Challah
Jun '14

People get into a circle and drum. ;)

btownguy btownguy
Jun '14

Ha. No! What do you drum? I don't get it.

Challah Challah
Jun '14

Utube will show many Drum Circles.

Did you ever hear a song on the radio and just started tapping your kitchen counter or steering wheel ? It is just going with the flow..and what you feel. You let the drum talk to you. Mark Wood explains it as play with your heart, not your head.

I have just been into the drums for only about 5 months, without any lessons. Which I would take if offered locally, So I just follow the beat. I play a Djembe which is an African drum. But also Conga, Bongo, hand drums...one friend said she attended a circle and played spackle buckets turned upside down. Many of these drums you can find on Ebay or Craigslist from $ 20.00 for bongos. I watch the utube sites and see what they are using, then google them for price.

Thank you for suggestions of areas, they all sound great.
I have a full agenda the next several days...But will get back to finding a spot for a get together.."Shawn"....I have to find your email again...

Jo Anne Jo Anne
Jun '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.