Church Street sidewalks to be redone

Anyone else get that wonderful notice today that the town and college are going to redo the sidewalks on Church between Jefferson and Washington! Trees and new sidewalks...so excited!

What about the new lightposts?

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2013/05/warren_county_municipalities_s_1.html#incart_river

What about everyone else in town who are responsible for replacing their own sidewalks? What makes the people on this street so special? If any sidewalks need replacing, it's the ones in Kenwood, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Agree iPhone-imal !!

Mariann Mariann
Apr '14

The college's idea

springlover springlover
Apr '14

Queue up the complaints about the sidewalk color now.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

Historically Church street has been tied to Centenary college. Centenary started life as the Newark Methodist Episcopal Conference and Church street was laid in as a direct route for the students to get to the M.E. church on main street. Personally, I think it will be great but as a resident one block away, I sure wish we could get our sidewalks replaced too...

eperot eperot
Apr '14

Boo hoo....here goes another "Life's not fair thread"... I think its a great offer by Centenary, too bad some of you bought a house on the 'wrong' street. While I agree that a good portion of town sidewalks are awful and could use replacing, don't complain when some establishment offers improvements anywhere. They don't HAVE to do any of it, and will likely stop offering. Then you will complain that they do nothing to assist the town.

.hmm
Apr '14

,hmm - Is Centenary paying for the sidewalks?

hmm
I wasn't suggesting life isn't fair. I'm thrilled they are doing what they are doing. I just never really got the whole concept of homeowners have to pay for their own sidewalk replacement...which basically means there is zero incentive for homeowners to do so. BLD I believe Centenary is paying for at least a significant amount of the project.

eperot eperot
Apr '14

eperot - Last year trekster3 who is an employee of the Hackettstown BID wrote

"I don't remember who asked about grants, but my super boss and those super people at Centenary College worked together to get this one! Church Street between Main and Jefferson will be getting a modified streetscape - at minimum they'll be getting the lightposts. The rest will depend on the design!

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2013/05/warren_county_municipalities_s_1.html#incart_river\"

So is Centernary also contributing money to the project so that it will now include sidewalks and trees along with the lightposts or was Centenary's contribution solely the submission of the grant proposal? If they are contributing money do you know how much it is?

NJ taxpayers are footing the bill for the grant money.

Hackettstown, will benefit from an $800,000 Transportation Enhancement grant to a local organization.
Yes, NJ taxpayers are paying the bulk. Hackettstown Library is contributing $10,000. Centenary is funding the rest.
I have heard the project is costing around 1.2 million.
I think the project has gone out to bid.

Centenary College has done a great service to our town.

Sweet Pea Sweet Pea
Apr '14

I'm pretty sure Centenary's motives are at least partially selfish. The project will lend "curb appeal" to the college and will be attractive to prospective students resulting in higher enrollment. At least, I'm sure that's what the marketing plan is on their end.

As for the rest of us, not only do we have to pay for our own sidewalks, we get to pitch in for these as well.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

I dont see how the sidewalks are the homeowners responsibility. You don't buy the sidewalks when you buy the house.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

BBU - Actually you do.

From Hackettstown town ordinances

ARTICLE 4. CONSTRUCTION, RECONSTRUCTION, PAVING, REPAVING,
CURBING, IMPROVING AND REPAIRING OF SIDEWALKS AND STREETS

(Note: For State Statute Regulating Sidewalks,
See R.S. 40:65-1, et seq.)

12-30. Improvements at Expense of Owner of Land in Front of Which Improvements Shall Be Made.

Any improvements such as construction, reconstruction, paving, repaving, curbing, recurbing, improving and repairing of sidewalks in this Town shall be made at the expense of the owner or owners of the land in front of which any such improvements as aforesaid shall be made. (3-27-22 sl)

Yep, it's the homeowner's responsibility until they want to dig up the tree roots from the stupid town tree (that is heaving up the sidewalk.) That's why I said no to the offer of a tree when Mayor Hines came around offering them.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

Any body heard anything about the sidewalks? I want to start to redo the landscape in the front but our yard is so close to the road. I would hate to plant stuff and have it ruined.

The email for DPW is dpw@hackettstown.net

just bumped into this old thread, anyone ever follow up on this? Seems to me these grants are about 5 years out.

Take a "TRIP" around the College View development.
So many sidewalks and curbs destroyed by the trees.
Lawsuits just waiting to happen.

Rich Sluder Rich Sluder
Apr '20

Were these sidewalks ever replaced? t he last I went to H. library, they were still broken and raised---tripping hazard.

Hackresident Hackresident
Apr '20

replacing sidewalks is usually a homeowner expense. be happy if you ever benefit from a grant

Jim KIng
Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.