Kids & Spring Break - what to do?

Looking to take kids away (both are under age of 7) but everything seems so expensive. So far round trip tickets to Florida are over $600 each, found a good deal for a caribbean cruise for $500 per person for 8 days but it's not all-inclusive so that would add up real fast. Don't really want to do Great Wolf Lodge thing. Looked into Hotel Hershey but that's $250ish per night and nothing included, including admissions to park and I am looking preferably to stay away for at least five nights. Any suggestions for cheap vacations. Heard Atlantis is way expensive also. Maybe a cheap, all-inclusive family resort somewhere?

villani villani
Apr '14

We did the spring break to Clearwater last year. Talk about expensive (but worth the fun). I've heard Puerto Rico is a very reasonable trip. Unfortunately spring break is super expensive noatyer where you go. It's that time of year. Check groupon though

Most school Spring Breaks have been cut to 2 or 3 days or less due to all the snow days.

With that in mind, you might want to consider other type of day trip options. Personally, we will be practicing up on those T Ball and Rookie Ball skills, along with tree climbing, hide and seek, and trips to Rita's and the Dairy Queen.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Apr '14

Look into Baltimore,MD. There is soo much to do and only a short drive. Not sure of your interests, but there is an awesome acquarium, you might be able to catch an Orioles baseball game, the Inner Harbor has a lot to offer and you won't spend nearly as much as going somewhere that requires a flight. Niagara Falls is another option. Good Luck in your planning!

CGinHtown CGinHtown
Apr '14

Look into Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster, Pa. And it isn't that far from Hershey.

Love the inner harbor, we stayed right on it with a beautiful suite overlooking the water. Much more built-up now, be sure to try to avoid major conventions, and here's a trick: if you book tickets for the aquarium, go at opening, then once inside, go the to very top and walk down the back half first. You will be all alone. Then start over with the normal crowd to walk up the first half. You get to see half the aquarium by yourself!

World Trade Center used to have one of the fastest elevators around, a real stomach turner.

There's some highway over by Harrisburg that basically drops you right at the harbor. Really scenic and easy drive.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

Took my grand kids to Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland, NY for four days when they were about that age. It was all inclusive with so much to do and we all had the best time.

www.rockinghorseranch.com

I have heard good things about Rocking Horse Ranch as well. I have a friend that goes there often.

Also you may be interested in Washington DC trip. The baby panda is has just started going outside at the National Zoo - so that is a good idea as well.

Coralie Coralie
Apr '14

check out cheapcarribean.com. great underrated site.

yourATTguy
Apr '14

Thanks. I will look into everything you mention. I actually took them on a trip to MD already and we visited the Aquarium plus other places. I would really love to get out of state thought..meaning on a plane of fly somewhere warm. If plane tickets were not so expensive just to fly to Florida that is my number one spot I would like to go or cruise. I do understand though this is the time of high demand so high cost.

villani villani
Apr '14

Did u check allegiant air out of Allentown? They usually have reasonable rates.

AA123
Apr '14

Since someone mentioned Dutch Wonderland...has anyone been there? What ages do you think it serves? My daughter is 3 and we were thinking of taking her there this summer. Appropriate for her?
Thanks for the help.

Loud-mouth Jen Loud-mouth Jen
Apr '14

Loud-mouth Jen I was the one who mentioned Dutch Wonderland. I haven't been there in years, but go on the site and see what you can find. From what I can remember it's geared for all ages.
You can also go to Strausburg railroad and take the kids on a train ride. There is a lot to do there and I love it there.

I just got off the phone with Rocking horse ranch. For one night, all-inclusive they want $638 for a ONE night stay. It is more expensive because it is only one adult going. They base there rooms off of two adults occupancy. Why wouldn't it be cheaper for one adult since you eat and drink less? I did just check Allentown airport..if anything I'm finding the flights just a bit more expensive…everything is over $600 p/p. I'll keep looking into suggestions but this is what happens when waiting for the last minute on one of the busiest travel times

villani villani
Apr '14

yourATTguy, thanks but it slipped my mind that the kids would need passports. I have one but they don't. I'm assuming they do, right? both are under the age of 7.

villani villani
Apr '14

Villain- try this link. It is for allegiant air out of Allentown. A quick search from april18-25 is showing under $250 round trip to Sanford Florida, about half an hour north of Orlando.
http://www.allegiantair.com

Every minor regardless of age traveling overseas must have a valid passport.

Thanks, I didn't try that one. Destination is more Southern FL so been trying West Palm Beach and Ft Lauderdale.

villani villani
Apr '14

Cruise out of NY

Nosila Nosila
Apr '14

Loud mouth jen... Took the family to Dutch Wonderland 2 years ago. It kinda reminded me of Land of Make believe. My kids were 4 and 7. They both had a blast. 3 is a tough age for any type of amusement park but depending on how your daughter handles a long jam packed excitement filled day, it may be just fine for her.

CGinHtown CGinHtown
Apr '14

Liberty Science Center has things for all ages - I've taken prek kids there

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Ugh! I just spent 1/2 hour looking for he best, local hotel deals by Dutch Wonderland and got pretty excited about how cheap it was…then I found out that Dutch Wonderland does not even open till the 26th..lol Go figures.
So fari the cruises out of NY are pretty limited…mostly sold out, if not super expensive. I've been to the Science center. Just wanted to disappear out of state for about 4 nights or so.

villani villani
Apr '14

Thank you Sher and CGinHtown.

Loud-mouth Jen Loud-mouth Jen
Apr '14

Go to NY State, the New Hyde Park mansion probably aren't for the kids, and I'm not sure that Old Rhinebeck is fying at the moment. But take them up to Fort Ticonderoga which is a great young kids place to run around. Then head over to Lake Placid for the Olympic site, Blue Mountain Lake for the Adirondack Museum. Lastly to Cooperstown for both the Fennimore Museum and Baseball Hall of Fame. You could add Howe's Cave if you have the time. That's 4 days worth and all kid friendly. There are a lot of off the beaten track stuff up in that area if you want more to fill the time, but I can's see that you'll need it.

How about Myrtle Beach, SC? It's about a 13 hour drive from here. Lots of stuff for kids there and beautiful beaches.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

http://www.campjellystone.com/

They have locations all over the place and you can rent an RV or Cabin with full kitchens and baths. Looks like fun for the little ones. Especially if you go to one where it's warmer and they can enjoy the waterpark.

jrsemom jrsemom
Apr '14

Boston area?? great childrens museum, aquarium and more - 4-5 hour ride

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

villani just curious what you decided to do? Any new ideas come up? Our plans just fell through, now we're looking for somewhere to take a 15 year old for few days.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '14

Spring Break? What Spring Break? Isn't it down to one day now?

ultraman
Apr '14

Hello,
well I didn't take the kids anywhere. Just way too expensive and I did not have anything planned ahead so I know for next time. For now it's outside play, parks, maybe a zoo or aquarium. Since it's raining today I"m looking for someplace. There are a lot of indoor "fun" places. thanks everyone

villani villani
Apr '14

Liberty Science Center

Nosila Nosila
Apr '14

I was just checking out Groupon getaways and I'm thinking about heading up to the Adirondaks for a few days. The drive is maybe 4-5 hours and the deal is very good. I figured that there is an indoor pool, hiking, and a different set of 4 walls.

Antimony Antimony
Apr '14

Did anyone do chocolate milk funnels with their kids over Spring Break?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

I'm with ya villani - So we started our "annual family vacations or trips" local and/or within the "cost efficent" factor, and have went to:

Dutch Wonderland - Great!...like having a mini-disney and/or great adventure within my kids ages

Strausburg railroad - We went there when it had a Thomas & Friends theme event...but sure it's just fun minus the Thomas & friends (unless your kid(s) are in love with him)

Love the beaches, with a boadwark full of fun & rides: Ocean City, Maryland (yes, even the 'Ocean City' in NJ) but also Rehoboth Beach, DE which was/is listed as one of the best boardwalk beached in the U.S.
(Plus the many/other beaches along DE, ie: Dewey beach; BUT we're looking forward to the DE side of Cape May Lewes Ferry, to (car) ride the ferry to the beach place from NJ to DE, and maybe ride back on way home [fyi, you need to buy/reserve a ticket to take that ferry], next year/summer)

We had a number of family members join us to go to Myrtle Beach, SC (a couple drove down there, but 5hrs is my max, so took a plane, and was not expensive, but) another Great place to go

Definitely looking into Niagra falls and/or Lake George update, NY

Heard of/and dropped Hersey...seemed/heard to be just another waterpark not worth the trip
Rocking Horse Ranch - my mom took us there many years (decades) ago, and still can't believe how expensive it is, which unfortunely breaks our (& other family memer's) "cost efficient" level which I feel the places listed above beat it out year after year - But we are not taking it off our list...until they out-grow them.
Well, they may already have done, since we had to take them to Disney before they out-grow them...and all I can say about that is, THANK GOD we calculated in also going to UNIVERSAL, that when we thought we'd spend more time @ Disney and 1 day @ Universal, we wound up cutting many Disney parks and its park-hopping option, just to go to Magic & Hollywood, while spend the remaining days/time @ Universal.

Sorry getting too wordy on your question, but just to re-confirm to you, yes, the Liberty Science Center is a very good 1 day (with or without its extended trip to the Statue of Liberty) that's also a great idea/trip - However, I'd also suggest, after hearing about this NY PASS thing, with 1 ticket, you can see "everything"/do "everything"/spend a great day (or 2) practically for "free" [Aside the givens, "...there's more!..."
http://www.newyorkpass.com/En/new-york-attractions/

Good Luck!

(P.S.: Many thanks to those mentioning Inner Harbor...didn't know/hear of it & will look into it and add it to our list - Thx all!!!)

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.