Inspection Sticker check on Grand Ave.

Currently going on at Grand ave. FYI.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Apr '14

The state is running a distracted driver campaign. They are checking for many things

Hockeymom115 Hockeymom115
Apr '14

Which is great.... I record music for films and games and usually cannot do mic work in the day. But with these cops here to slow all the people down who want drive 50mph, well it has made this a quiet and peaceful day. Which is sad, people can't just drive the speed limit and be respectful.

Oh well... Check away cops, keep that traffic slow and quiet! :)

Shawn Shawn
Apr '14

GOOD

Nosila Nosila
Apr '14

ok, since it is a good thing, don't anyone come on the forum and warn anybody.......

ultraman
Apr '14

If you inspection is up to date, as it should be, you shouldn't need to be warned.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

"If you inspection is up to date, as it should be, you shouldn't need to be warned."

Calico

Is driving a right or a privilege?

BLD - You know the answer to that.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Since they don't even inspect for mechanical soundness of vehicles any more, they can't even pretend that this is a safety issue. It's a money grab, plain and simple. But Calico's right, if you aren't up to date, it's your own fault. Happy April Fools Day, now pay your $126 so we can pay for some of those free snow days we were dishing out all winter long.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Shawn,

If you're recording music professionally, shouldn't you have a studio with sound dampening/acoustic material installed? I couldn't imagine being beholden to outside traffic if recording was my JOB.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '14

Just heard on NJ News that officers are being paid overtime for a couple weeks to crack down on drivers with cell phones. Might this be part of what they are looking for? In any case, I welcome police presence. I mean, if you're not doing anything wrong, they're helping you by pulling over people who might cause accidents!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '14

Calico - I know the answer but do you?

I was taking the back way to work today cuz I-78 was a Charlie Foxtrot yet again. I was going up the hill from Clinton Station and a trooper was sitting there facing our direction. He got out and motioned for the first car in line to pull over (as I frantically, yet smoothly, reached for my seat belt) and let the rest of us pass. Not sure if it was for an inspection sticker or a cell phone, but he was definitely perched there waiting for something.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Of course. It's a privilege.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

heard on the news - they are looking for hand helds - people texting and talking on c ell phones - I'm all for it --

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Heard last week they were going to start that today. I'm all for it. I've seen too many people, either driving too slow, or driving over into the shoulder, or driving into oncoming traffic, all because they are talking or texting on their phones.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Inspection stickers are a joke now! Your wheels could be falling off the car but you have a valid BS air pollution Sticker,

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Apr '14

New cars come with bluetooth. Bluetooth headsets are $20. I never understand why people still drive without the hands-free set. Heck, my arm cramps up after 10 minutes of holding any phone to my ear because I'm so used to using speakerphones.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

Ultraman, I went through the check point earlier today and posted it here on HL to make people aware of this. Hope it helped.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Apr '14

hey iphone -imal you should always have your seatbelt on!!!!!!!!!

It's all part of a new campaign called, "U Drive, U Text, U Pay."

This particular article highlights Mahwah cops doing what the Hackettstown officers were out there doing today:

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/police-crack-down-on-distracted-driving-with-texting-and-driving-patrols-in-mahwah-1.7575999

Strange though as I don't see Hackettstown on this list as one of the campaign's funding grantee's. The only police agency from Warren County receiving funds was Pohatcong:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/hts/downloads/UDUTUP_2014_Grant_Recipients.pdf

Is this what they were doing on Willow Grove/Waterloo where Bilby Road ends up? I saw some people in yellow reflector jackets with those orange glowing cone things standing by an unmarked police car.

Olga

That was probably in support of the frogs and salamanders crossing:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/595355

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '14

i don't understand why anyone would want to ride in a car without a seat belt

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Apr '14

they want high visibility, so i guess it's ok to rat them out

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/03/warren_county_police_to_crackd.html

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Apr '14

"i don't understand why anyone would want to ride in a car without a seat belt"

I don't either and I always wear mine. However, I don't think it should be illegal not to. Your life, your choice.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Plus 1 Calico. Freedom of choice.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

+1 on the seat belt law.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '14

Seat-belt usage only affects the seat-belt wearer. When an individual chooses to wear a seat-belt, they increases only their own safety. The individual does not, however, harm anybody else if they choose not to wear a seat belt. - It is only a primary offense to justify probably cause for a stop. Then we get into "the officer detected the odor of xyz".. It is a direct infringement on your 4th amendment rights and greatly lowers the bar of probable cause.

Before I get raged on:
Children are excluded - they cant make a rational choice and should be belted.

It doesn't raise insurance costs - it's much cheaper for insurance companies to have you pronounced dead at the scene.

http://oneminute.rationalmind.net/mandatory-seatbelt-laws/

skippy skippy
Apr '14

uh - who pays for ss disability if said driver is permanently disabled? uninsured??

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

uhhhh, Skippy - if the driver is not wearing their seatbelt and they have passengers
it will impact other people in the car - no pun intended. You are driving down the street, a car runs a stop sign and hits the driver's door at a tremendous impact - the laws of physics come into play and the unseatbelted driver now becomes a missile in the car, crashing and smashing into other people in the car - no fun - and easily prevented by a seatbelt.
And how does it affect others - First Aid personal have to respond to accidents and try to save the unseat belted driver who were ejected from their car after it crashed and rolled over them, crushing the person beyond recognition. Not a vision they want to retain, especially as a seatbelt would have prevented it.
Why are children and babies placed in car seats? To keep them safe in the event of an accident - Adults should do the same by wearing their seatbelt.

sosadsad sosadsad
Apr '14

5catmom - That's exactly the reason for the law. Insurance company lobbyists.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

After my same age (19) step cousins were thrown from their car and one run over and killed for not wearing a seatbelt, I chose to. Not a big deal.

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '14

a friend in high school - before many cars even had seatbelts - went through the windshield - 150 stitches in her face- plastic surgery that didn't get rid f all the scars, broken jaw - wired shut for a long time - and broken ankle - never got in a car after that without seatbelts....

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

Sorry but it does effect other people as 5catmom states. It effects our pocket! What if said person is not insured? What if they get injured and have no health insurance? What if they become totally disabled? Who pays that? The government! Who funds the government? TAX PAYERS! We are all effected.

If some people had common sense we would not need these kind of laws!

Christine Christine
Apr '14

I should have been wearing my seatbelt, agreed. Usually, I do. I just happened not to be at this particular instant.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '14

Seat belts do help in side impacts but in a lateral accident there are more forces at play other thank the body in motion - ergo the 1.5 ton vehicle that has just intruded into the passenger compartment. You are utilizing what is described as a Base rate fallacy - look it up.

In any regard - there is no question seat belts save lives - the question is weather or not it should be illegal to fail to wear one.

skippy skippy
Apr '14

Back to the insurance. If everyone wasn't constantly suing everyone and expecting every issue they encounter in life to be paid for by others we wouldn't be having this conversation. We don't "need" a law. If people are too dumb to not wear their seat belt, then that's their problem. My father has never worn a seat belt ever. Yes, I think he is dumb not to.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

I never text while driving, but I do post on Facebook.
Totally different thing...

MikeL MikeL
Apr '14

http://www.motorists.org/seat-belt-laws/testimony

http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1564465,00.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1653464/

Two professors at the University of Winnipeg, Canada, completed a three year study based on 2,715 drivers from 1982-88 who were injured and matched up with hospital records. According to the study, seat belt use result in more injuries to specific parts of the body, namely: 2.9% more to spine; 2.8% more to chest and pelvis; and 2.3% more to the head

http://www.atch.com/abate/cdl/seatbeltlaws.html

Do you want a paternalistic government or a government that protects your freedom? Keep in mind again that an individual always has the freedom to wear a seat belt as much as they want to. I am simply suggesting to remove the oppressing force of government from the equation and let both options be legal.

skippy skippy
Apr '14

Saw 2 Washington Township police with cars pulled over this morning. 1 on Rt 46, at light in front of Target. The other 100 feet past him. I'm assuming for sticker violation. They are busy.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

"It effects our pocket! What if said person is not insured? What if they get injured and have no health insurance? What if they become totally disabled? Who pays that? The government! Who funds the government? TAX PAYERS! We are all effected."

So are we also going to outlaw high-fructose corn syrup and alcohol? Both of those cost the general tax base more (probably several orders of magnitude more) than unbelted motor vehicle occupants could...

Once you start down that road, it gets ugly fast...

Brendan Brendan
Apr '14

+1 Brendan

skippy skippy
Apr '14

+2 Brendan

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

+10 Brendan

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Actually Skippy I would like both since it comes out of the taxpayers pocket. When people start using common sense every state will make laws for something. IMO!!

If you remember it started with kids in car seats and then went to everyone. That's because adults are stupid to not where it. Hence the law.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

Christine - The law isn't for the best interest of the people. The law is in the best interest of the insurance companies. Do you really think the State of NJ gives a rat's ass whether people die in car accidents or not? The seat belt law is no different than the motorcycle helmet law.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Its all about making money, not your safety. The govt doesnt care about you.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Christine - The problem with a "Social Cost" argument is it becomes a slippery slope -

Imagine if someone seriously floated the idea that the "public was sick and tired of these people with poor lifestyles" (i.e., people who eat and drink too much, smoke, and fail to get adequate exercise), and it might just come to pass that this same public would not continue to support the provision of health care to these overweight, self-indulgent couch potatoes.. Government would next be telling us that we couldn't eat fatty foods, smoke or drink because such habits could lead to disease and premature death and lost productivity..

Same thing...

You are setting aside personal values and morality issues and dismissing the importance of personal freedom and individual discretion. When the individual makes a decision the risk inherent in that decision is largely borne by that individual, but there are obviously secondary impacts. Because everyone in the society makes decisions every day that entail some risk, it is inherent in a free society that the secondary burdens and the benefits of those risks are shared. The real question is : do you want to live in a society that shares risks, or a society that attempts to eliminate all risks through the elimination of personal freedoms and individual discretion.

skippy skippy
Apr '14

We will have to agree to disagree!

Maybe you would think different if you worked in a emergency room and saw the consequences and the money wasted because some idiot was not wearing a seatbelt. Like I said before if people had common sense there would not be so many laws. Do I think some are a little overboard YES BUT this one in my opinion is not.

Christine Christine
Apr '14

I agree seat belts save lives in most accidents when used properly - and I have been cutting people out of cars for more than twenty years. I just hate the government legislating personal freedom of choice away.

I am not saying we shouldn't wear them - just that it shouldn't be illegal not to.

skippy skippy
Apr '14

+10 skippy.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

+1 Skippy

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

Washington Township, (Morris County) got a lot of violators -

http://longvalley.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/message-sent-distracted-driving-crackdown-dials-up-164-tickets-in-6-days

They have actually given out over 200 tickets as of yesterday.

It's an expensive protest -

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2014/04/bloomfield_man_busted_for_not_wearing_seatbelt_11_times_report_says.html#incart_river_default

So the question is- if they see how many violators there are during a "ticket blitz", not to mention the revenue generated, don't they do this on a regular basis. You know, enforce these silly laws....

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '14

I think they do it everyday. Passed a cop yesterday, sitting in a spot where they usually are and came back by 3 hours later and he was still there. WOW! Wonder how many he busted in that spot.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Any day you want you can go down the Route 46 hill in Long Valley and see the "ticket blitz" waiting for you at the bottom of the hill.

Route 46 doesn't go through Long Valley. (-;

I would be more inclined to call that section Drakestown.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Doesn't really matter what you're inclined to call it. According to the welcome sign on that hill, you are indeed entering "Washington Township/Long Valley." ;-)

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

And it doesn't really matter how the sign reads, Long Valley is physically located on the other side of the mountain. I could put up a sign there that tells you you're entering Philadelphia... you still aren't gonna find a decent cheesesteak (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

All proceeds still go to "Washington Township/Long Valley" - those are the officers issuing the tickets. I believe Aquarius is correct. Very weird township line thru that area I believe 46 East is Washington/Long Valley - 46 West Hackettstown - where the H'town line begins I'm not positive but I think after you're all the way down the mountain, coming west.

luvlife
Apr '14

No, the proceeds go to Washington Township. "Long Valley" is an unincorporated census-designated place within Washington Township with specific geographic boundaries. Boundaries that do NOT extend to the base of Hackettstown Mountain. It's not even in the same watershed. Long Valley drains to the Raritan River; the area in question drains to the Musconetcong.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Valley,_New_Jersey

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Oh, it's Washington Township all right. At issue is Long Valley's dual identity as synonym for the township and section therein. Some people are sectionists while those of us who are right are synonymists. ;-)

p.s. And boundaries do not apply to the use of synonyms.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

Fine, Aquarius... I then hereby declare that all of Washington Township, Warren County will be known as Brass Castle from this day forward. Residents of Port Colden, be damned (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

You can do as you like, inanimal. I didn't make up the Long Valley synonym. It was already in widespread use when we moved there. I don't even like it. It's just a fact - that's how it's used. See also Long Valley Patch.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

It was in widespread use because people were uneducated and didn't know any better. Using that as an excuse to be a synonymist isn't any different than using religion as an excuse to deny basic scientific facts.

Greenwich Township has a section and CDP known as Stewartsville, but no one calls the other regions of Greenwich by that name. Some of the more obnoxious interlopers call it Grennich, but that's a whole different story, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

LOL ianimal. I used to call it Grennich until you corrected me. Prior to living out here the only Greenwich I'd ever heard of is in CT. I wasn't intentionally being obnoxious, just ignorant. Like those who pronounce the "n" in Boonton or pronounce Bernardsville like St. Bernard.

BTW - this thread is on about it's third derailment for the topic. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Lol, I don't remember that, calico. And technically, I think it's the only place that pronounces it the way it's spelled... so, as an outsider, you're forgiven (-;

But I wasn't talking about outsiders, I was talking about the soccer moms who LIVE there but moved from somewhere near the city.

If they have their way, new residents like Aquarius will move in next to them and think that is the proper pronunciation and will start believing it and defending it and eventually the correct unique pronunciation will be lost.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Well, what can I say, inanimal, the residents of Green-witch are better educated about their CDPs. Of course they also don't have to constantly differentiate themselves from the nearby Greenwiches in the next county.

Your denying the use of the synonym based on technical definitions of Long Valley is a little like denying religion exists because the science doesn't bear it out. ;-)

And all the good discussions derail, Calico! LOL

p.s. inanimal, why would I move to Greenwich when I already live in LONG VALLEY? LOL.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

But do you really, Aquarius? Are you sure?? Sounds like you don't know where you live, so you better ask iphone. I'm sure he knows better then you. LOL!!

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

But, what you don't realize is that by calling the shitty commercial development at the bottom of Hackettstown Mountain "Long Valley" and lumping that in with the real version, you are throwing away hundreds of years of history of the scenic little hamlet along the Raritan River. That's a shame.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

"Your denying the use of the synonym based on technical definitions of Long Valley is a little like denying religion exists because the science doesn't bear it out. ;-) "

Umm... Not sure about that. But your willingness to allow the name Long Valley to be applied incorrectly because people frequently get it wrong is kind of like taking commonly misspelled words and saying that the common misspellings should now be correct because it's too hard for people to learn the correct spellings (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

ianimal, please don't presume what I realize and what I don't. I know and appreciate the history of the surrounding area. I've visited the township museum and I've given to the Historical Society. As they say, though, I didn't start the fire. It is what it is. That is the crux of my argument. Some people refer to the entire of Washington Township as Long Valley. I can't remember who is responsible for the town welcome signs but there it is, one example of an officially sponsored use of the Long Valley name to refer to the township.

Whether that's correct or not, or throws away history or not, or keeps you up at night or not, it happens.

And yes, people misspell all sorts of words on purpose and by mistake. We're tearing down years of history by using "u" for "you." I just chose not to crusade over it. I also certainly don't deny that it happens.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

Points taken, Aquarius. I don't agree with your reasoning, but that's your business. Personally, I would think that the more historic knowledge someone had of the actual Long Valley, the more likely they would be to defend it, but I guess that's not necessarily the case.

If someone should happen to drive around Washington Township and spray paint over the incorrectly designated "Long Valley"s, be assured that I'll have a rock-solid alibi (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Why not officially change the name of the municipality from Washington Township to Long Valley then? Because if eliminating confusion is the goal, this isn't the way to do it.

It can be done... I was looking for a restaurant in West Paterson a couple years ago, with little success. Little did I know the town changed its name to Woodland Park or something to extricate itself from the stigma that is Paterson. All it takes is for the voters to decide to make the change.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

The way I see it, human experience is fluid. Place names, nomenclature, borders, even what we understand about the past and acceptable grammar; it is all subject to change over time. The hamlet of Long Valley changed its own name to be more politically correct. So while I really love to understand the history of places, I'm not of the strict preservationist sort.

And if a person needs to spray paint over the incorrect designations, I am also not one to judge. ;-)

And about changing the name. Members of the town council have run with getting Washington Township entirely under the Long Valley zip code as part of their platform. Of course it's the post office that controls the zips, so not sure what they can do there. But as to why they don't officially change the name, I'm really not sure. I'll have to ask some people I know in town government.

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

Yes, Woodland Park. Elmwood Park changed from East Paterson many years ago.....West Paterson followed suit.

Additionally, a little trivia here, Ho-Ho-Kus used to be just Hohokus. The reason for the change was that the mail was being incorrectly sent to Hoboken. At least that's what postal lore says. Those mail clerks must not have been wearing their glasses. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

The Woodland Park name change was years and years in the making. It was hotly contested within the township. If I'm not mistaken, the referendum failed at least once if not more. I worked in West Paterson during one of the times that they were trying to get the referendum passed and it seemed like the town was blanketed with "Don't Change My Name!" signs.

I'll bet back in the day before zip codes, a lot of mail meant for Hackettstown went to Hackensack and vice versa!

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

Washington Township, (Morris County) will be conducting their annual click it campaign -

http://longvalley.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/cops-to-crack-down-on-seat-belt-violators-in-annual-click-it-campaign

Rebecca what if we see cops using their cellphones? Or distracted in their laptop..

Caren Caren
May '14

+1 Caren

emily1 emily1
May '14

Well, some animals are more equal than others.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
May '14

I have no Inspection sticker in my window not a fun thing

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '14

There is one at Rt57 and Old Turnpike Rd. Set up at 830am, still there at 1100am.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
May '14

Yesterday, the Hackettstown Police were conducting some kind of inspection on Main St/Rt 46 by the Hess Station. I live in the area but work in Central Jersey and find it very interesting that the HPD do not wear safety vests while conducting their inspections. The PD in the area where I work conduct similar inspections but wear safety vests when standing in the middle of the road. The HPD didnt even have the lights on the car activated yesterday nor did they have cones or any kind of warning device to keep themselves safe.

summerhelp summerhelp
May '14

After 58 years of growing up in town and living here your gonna tell me with your signage all over Main Street how to walk across the street now! Jay walker tickets who monitors that?

pampurr pampurr
May '14

Jay walking is definitely an issue in town as is the timing on some of the lights.

It is very common for Main St/Rt46 westbound to back up into the Moore St. intersection during rush hour. Of course if drivers were paying a little more attention, they would not pull into the intersection until it was clear ( "block the box"). Even if the intersection is clear, there may not be enough room for drivers to turn off of Moore onto Main St heading west so Moore will back up.

A little tweaking of the the lights would help as would people crossing in the crosswalks (and obeying the walk/don't walk signs if present). The biggest help would be a little courtesy/common sense. There is a lot less of that over the decades that I have lived here.

I will stop for someone in a crosswalk but I must say that the crosswalks on either side of Liberty crossing Main are tough to see if traffic is backed up (traffic backed up eastbound will prevent you from seeing if you are westbound). You cannot see the pedestrians until they are by the center line of Main.

But this thread was about "inspections"

summerhelp summerhelp
May '14

Inspection sticker is a money grab.....Are they really looking out for the welfare of the citizens?

pampurr pampurr
May '14

Sticker check Rt 57 across from Highland Auto, Mansfield.

Jun '14

Gone now 330pm.

Jun '14

@summerhelp I have to agree with the jaywalking. I think it's unfair that the Hackettstown police strictly enforce stopping for people in crosswalks, but not jaywalking. I always let people go and keep a sharp eye out while driving down mainstreet, but I get aggravated when someone just starts crossing wherever they want without even looking. Since the police began more strictly enforcing the crosswalk laws, the jaywalking has gotten way worse.

Penningslandscaping Penningslandscaping
Jun '14

I must say, if I park on Main St., Im not walking down to the crosswalk to cross. Im an adult and am capable of crossing right where I park, without causing any problems. I look both ways, dont dart out and wait until its clear.

Jun '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.