Roxbury Mall- A real mall?

I was on my way to the PC Richard store near the Ledgewood Mall and for the first time in about 5 years I saw the Roxbury "mall" that is partially killing of Ledgewood. I expected to see another small mall, but it looks like a strip mall. Is it a real, enclosed mall, or is it just a strip mall?

Htowner207 Htowner207
Mar '14

It's a strip mall

jrsemom jrsemom
Mar '14

It used to be a partally enclosed shopping mall, before Home Depot and Shop Rite were there. All accesible from inside were HL Green, Lung Yung Chinese, a card store, Clothing town, a bridal shop, a pizzeria. Hahn's bakery (my first job), Acme grocery store, The Cheese Block were all outside.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '14

Sports Authority , Ruby Tuesday , Barnes and Noble , Wendys , and Red Lobster are all part of the Ledgewood Mall and all seem to be doing just fine , don't see that mall dying at all . What exactly closed in there that people can't live without and have to post about every single week ? Arthur's , a store that sold overpriced cheaply made goods that the internet would have killed quickly if it didn't go bankrupt beforehand , Circuit City , the absolute worst electronics store for customer service , even though the Ledgewood store and Allentown store actually had knowledgeable people selling their goods they still went down with the chain , bookstore (not as big as B&N) , record store - victim of the internet and there is the Sound Exchange in Wayne NJ for any discerning audiophile . And a bunch of other smaller stores easily found elsewhere .

Sorry I just don't get what was so special about those indoor stores . Stores go bankrupt , move , and disappear every day and no new indoor mall has been built in the U.S. since 2006. Whenever Walmart and Macys decide to leave that location it will probably be torn down and other stores will be built in their place . Nostalgia doesn't keep businesses in business . If it did I would still be going to the Falks department store in P'burg , selecting my steak in their grocery department and having it cooked for free to order on their small restaurant's charcoal grill . Now THAT is something to miss and wax nostalgic about !

http://deadmalls.com/

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/187511/84-pictures-of-dead-malls/?-0

Zombo Zombo
Mar '14

@JrzyGirl88

Thanks for taking me down memory lane and showing your age!!!
I think Rickel's if I recall correctly was in that mall before they move to where Sports Authority is now located.
BTW I remember the pizza from that shop inside was excellent.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Mar '14

LOL Mr. Negative !! The Pizza shop was excellent, I don't recall if it was Luigi's (which is now in the outside mall). Rickel's was definitely inside at one point, but I think maybe in the Ledgewood mall, down on the Marshall's side, but don't remember for sure.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '14

I seem to remember that it was de-malled. That's when they get rid of the hallways and any stores not accessible to the outside. It's pretty dumb, but it's their property. I guess they kept the name.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Mar '14

I'm trying to remember the enclosed section you are speaking about, JrzyGirl88, but I can't. Bad memory, I guess! We loved Hahn's bakery. I grew up in Succasunna. 1961 - 1981. Where did Shoe Town fit in with all the rest? Was it next to HL Green?

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Mar '14

@ Trying2Save sorry I don't remember a Shoe Town.

There was a shoe store over by where Ruby Tuesday's is now, I wonder if that was the store you are thinking of...??

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '14

I saw that when I was looking for Shoe Town! Pretty interesting to go back in time and see what it used to look like before I worked in that mall (86/87)

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Mar '14

There was a Shoe Town in the inside mall near the inside entrance to Clothing Town. I fondly remember finding the perfect shoes to go with my interview suit there back in 1982. The shoe store over by where Ruby Tuesday's is now may have been a Fayva store?

Wendy Wendy
Mar '14

Does anyone remember when there was a Grant City there, and then a Jamesway??? I could be dating myself! LOL.....

ultraman
Mar '14

I remember Jamesway was where Wal-Mart is now. Moving from Brooklyn, I didn't know about blue laws but on Sunday when we went to Jamesway, they had white sheets over the bins of merchandise you could not buy. Seemed odd to me at the time. That was late 1970s. I did like shopping at Jamesway. I believe Arthur's was there also which was like a catalog store. You filled out a form, handed it in and out from the back on a conveyor-type, the items came. That may be where Marshalls or Ashley Furniture is now. I guess I am dating myself too but fond memories.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '14

Arthurs was in the back half of where Walmart is now at the end of the mall where you enter Walmart from inside the mall. Jamesway was in the front half.

The original anchors of Ledgewood Mall were Rickel, Jamesway and Arthur's Catalog Showroom.The Rickel space later became PharmHouse and Marshalls.Federated Department Stores announced in July 1993 that it would be opening a 60,000 square feet (5,600 m2) Stern's store at the Ledgewood Mall in fall 1994, as part of a major nationwide expansion of the chain.This store was converted to a Macy's in 2001 when Stern's stores were closed.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Mar '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.