HMS Changes

OMG! Is it true? I just heard the Principal of the middle school is being forced to retire. I love Mrs. Griffin. She has been wonderful with my kids and our family. Why do they want her to leave? We can't let them get rid of her. First, all of the high school administrators, then the hatchery hill principal now the middle school? What can we do to keep her? Who do we talk to? I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks she's done a wonderful job at the middle school. Anyone upset about this? Anyone wondering what's going on in this district? All of the administrators are leaving and from what I've heard it hasn't been a choice.

concerned4kids concerned4kids
Mar '14

I think you meant the HS principal, Mr, Sarcone. He is retiring this month and they already have his replacement.

emily1 emily1
Mar '14

It might be a good time to review the previous discussion on those retirements:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/563743#t564636

I personally haven't heard anything about Mrs. Griffin so I'm not too sure about this one....

trekster3- trekster3-
Mar '14

Agree that Mrs Griffin has done an amazing job at HMS! Hope this isn't true.

hktownie hktownie
Mar '14

No I DID NOT mean HS principal. I meant Mrs. Griffin at HMS. She's the best administrator HMS has had in a very long time but apparently that doesn't matter. Parents better take note. Hackettstown schools are changing and not necessarily for the better.

Mar '14

I am not sure who told you this but maybe you should go to the source The BOE or maybe Mrs. Griffin herself.

Alot of the administrators who are retiring has to do with Christie's new cap.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

Mr. Sarcone has retired but is staying until June. No replacement has been announced as yet. Here is my concern: Mrs. Griffin is an amazing principal and if she WANTS to retire she is entitled to but if the "powers that be" are pushing her out, and that seems to be the case, that's a different story. If money is an issue why then have people been discussing security over teachers. Money, from what teachers are saying, is being spent all over and then it comes up missing in their checks! What's happening here people??? One of the reasons I moved out here from Bergen county is for the education and community feel. Now it's as if education is longer about kids. We have to have a closer eye on what decisions are being made about our children and their education.

Mar '14

concerned4kids, HHS has been announced. I started a thread here:
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/592412#t592414

They also sent out a mass phone call yesterday announcing it

Concerned4kids,
Where did you hear this?

neighborhood watcher
Mar '14

HHS is Mr. Scanlon, returning to Hackettstown and it's on the School district site - you can attend the meet and greet!

http://www.hackettstown.org/

trekster3- trekster3-
Mar '14

"powers that be" are pushing her out," states concerned4kids.

AGAIN I ask where did you hear this?

If you want a more say in your childs education I suggest you attend the BOE meetings. They are quite eye opening.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

Quite frankly I'm not interested in the people that are leaving. I'm concerned that an excellent leader who cares for students may leave, willingly or unwillingly. As for BOE meetings, I do attend when time permits. However, if you believe that everything you hear in the public meeting is the only true and concise information then you're wearing blinders. My information comes from reputable, trusted people within the system.

Mar '14

Well concerned4kids I have to take your post as a rumor then. I will wait until the BOE announces her retirement. Until then I suggest you ask her or the BOE. Just because you say it comes from a reputable trusted person in the system does not make it true. Have you read HL lately?

BTW I never said I believe everything I hear in a public meeting and trust me I h ave no blinders on here. That's why I said the meetings are quite eye opening.

I and my husband went through H'Town school system, my 4 children, and now a grandson is in the system.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

I can't stand when people sensationalize things. Concerned4kids is trying to spark outrage over something that prob isn't true. If it is true, then it's prob a good thing. Change is good and sometimes people get stale in their positions. I know alot of teachers that would like to see change.

really bdz, I agree, the original post sounded like something teen girls send back and forth!! As soon as I read that - I suspected rumor.

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '14

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My intention was not to sensationalize anything. My intent was to find out if anyone else was hearing what I'm hearing. In my opinion it would be a great loss to the students of Hackettstown to lose Mrs. Griffin under any circumstance. That being said, time will tell and in the meantime I will hope that something that could have been prevented doesn't come back to negatively affect our kids. Thank you for all of the genuine concern. I fully intend to speak directly to Mrs. Griffin as soon as I get the chance. I would hope that others concerned about their children or grandchildren's education would do the same. As for the BOE, no thanks. I'm at my limit for.....well you fill in the blank. Oh, and that's my opinion too.

Mar '14

Has anyone considered the point that these administrators have dedicated themselves to this career for about 40 years each and have seen a drastic change in the family dynamic. Teachers and admins are now asked to do so much more and handle many more emotional and family related matters because mom & dad are split up, working 2 -3 jobs and home discipline is a thing of the past. Maybe if we all step back and realize little Johnny and Sally are not to be the focus of attention 24/7/365 . The additional time It takes to work with the increasing amount of students that English Is their second language; the fear of HIB and threats of lawsuits every time they need to step in to address any issues. The sense of entitlement with many kids and lack of parenting has pushed out the wonderful teachers who work hard every day I would imagine it does get frustrating after 40 years. Take all that plus all the new proposed pension reform and state guidelines on testing changes many are leaving statewide not just here. Good luck and thank you all for your service to so many children.

VeraB VeraB
Mar '14

First - as a retired public school teacher, I thank you, Vera, for understanding some of what has happened and changed over the years. Being true to yourself and your knowledge of what children needs takes a backseat to the time wasting garbage being inflicted on school personnel. I loved what I did but I was fortunate to be able to retire in June 2012.
One a related note - I am astonished at the amount of rumors, I heards, someone saids posted here. Then everyone gets their feathers ruffled - the rumors get passed along as truths and seemingly no one makes a simple call (in the first place) to find out what's true and what's bs. End of sermon

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

Schools like any other public or private entity run on dollars. However one needs to weigh the benefits against the impact cuts and savings will have on the culture, climate, and effectiveness of schools. Do larger class sizes work? Sure. Do you get the same experience as compared to a small class? No. Think you're too top heavy and need to cut some admins? Sure, do it. But now you're putting more on fewer people. Something's going to fail or be short-changed in the long run. Is it worth it? I too have heard some issues with money in H'town, and in GMR. Is H'town being regionalized with GMR? Seems like LOTS of shared services going on. Security, Super, Facilities,....what next? I wonder if the GMR folks realize what's happening.

Fishy in Denmark Fishy in Denmark
Mar '14

Scanlon, spoke to him once years sgo. He was quite annoyed that I asked him about the type of summer reading he assigned for the middle school. Looks like he has slithered back in to tbe district. Hopefully he has learned that job requires you to speak to parents.

mammadone mammadone
Mar '14

Beware of outsourcing...that's all I am going to say!

concernedparent concernedparent
Mar '14

It's been asked before a few times. Concerned4kids, where did you hear this from? A link would be helpful.

No credible source, no care.

Reloaded9mm Reloaded9mm
Mar '14

Fishy in d. They share the superintendent Mr. Mango. A lot of the sharing is supposed to provide a cost saving and align the curriculum better between towns and help the students be more on the same level when they go to hackettstown high school. Only time will tell if it works. What are the money issues you refer too?

gmr parent
Mar '14

Very well said VeraB!!!!!

Magpie Magpie
Mar '14

Sharing seems to be a good idea as long as one district is not favored over another. I agree with gmr parent regarding aligning the curriculum. I think the two districts are sharing a curriculum director next year so that should help. Why if they are sharing would he outsource the child study team from great meadows to warren county instead of sharing the cst between both districts? Ulterior motive?!!!

bobbie1975 bobbie1975
Mar '14

Doesn't Mr. Mango have TWO offices??? Maybe they should save money by moving administrative personnel into ONE office??.. The rumor is that he is always in Great Meadows anyway. there is some question if he knows how to get to Hatchery Hill.... glad this is my last one graduating...

acl76 acl76
Mar '14

What is happening to my fifth graders DARE program at HMS?

Omnimom Omnimom
Mar '14

still hearing rumors of principal and vice principal changes at middle school, and willow grove any facts yet?

hereyee
Apr '14

No sensationalism here. This is real and it's scary. They are trying to keep this under wraps so that by the time you hear about it, it's a done deal.

If you respect what Mrs. Griffin does at the middle school, or even if you just believe that an accomplished educator at the end of her career should not be forced out in the name of good-old-boy cronyism, speak now.

rmoore@hackettstown.org
bbeck@hackettstown.org
gbordi@hackettstown.org
eomelia@gmrsd.com
tely@hackettstown.org
dfair@hackettstown.org
fgavin@aes.k12.nj.us
mherbst@hackettstown.org
mmaciag@hackettstown.org
sburke@hackettstown.org
jclarke@hackettstown.org
dmango@hackettstown.org
ninskeep@hackettstown.org

whistler
Apr '14

How do we know she is being forced out? Cite your source.

btownguy btownguy
Apr '14

Too Vague...what is going on?

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

Don't comment too much, you will get a "bullying" email from the Board of Ed President as I did....who told me I had, indeed, no idea how "bad" the district was before. Bob Gratz was a gentleman, and would listen to you.

The following message has been sent to you regarding your forum post at
Hackettstown Life.

"As i said this not a thread to hash out your issues that have no merit, oh
by the way, last year at the show I was sitting with Mr Mango who had
dropped off a Rx for his 4 yr old daughter earlier in the evening because
she had a 103 fever. His wife called 4x's during the show with reports her
fever was spiking at which time I told him he was crazy to stay go pick up
the Rx and take care of his family. I never heard anyone complain that
he left after the halftime show at football games? you have an agenda, its
unfounded, the man is good family man and exceptional superintendent, you
have no idea how bad this district was before he came in. Go see for
yourself tonight he is at the Middle School "Senior Prom" i am tired of
the constant bashing by a few of you. You have done this before "its a
football thing" comment go talk with the man see the substance for
yourself."

mammadone mammadone
Apr '14

mamadone, keep posting, it is bullying to send out these emails, but i urge you to keep posting your comments here, and i urge you to go to the boe meetings and ask your questions there.

also write letters to the boe, send them registered mail and cc the editors of the local papers, that way if they choose to ignore you at least they know you are on the record with the local media.

so according to the boe president , the man has substance, that's good to know i guess. and he has a sick child he takes good care of, that's a good thing right?

substance and heart, both good qualities,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Whistler- what about Mr. Mai not getting Elementary school principal? Did you hear about that? Bringing in an outsider. No matter what was said in his favor, he was locked out. Did you see the salary they are offering new guy at high school? Someone needs to start asking questions of this board. Mrs. Griffin and Mr. Mai are two of the most caring and dedicated people my family has encountered. What's going on that the board is trying to get rid of people who care about Hackettstown families?!

Htownmom31
Apr '14

I fail to see where I am bullying, actually quite the opposite is happening. Mammadone has constantly bashed the CSA, without justification, my note was just to provide factual account to her bullying statement which leads to false opinions that he left early from a show. Its easy for someone to cast stones and make false statements but without merit or reason is just not right in my opinion. As for others please attend meetings, ask questions or better still please apply for a position on the board. The last 2 elections and vacancy appointments went uncontested.

Gus Bordi Gus Bordi
Apr '14

political/cronyism decisions

pmnsk pmnsk
Apr '14

mammadone, that message is NOT bullying. That's a man telling you to stop hiding behind a computer and go discuss your problems face to face. It's quite easy to sit here and spout vitriol from Htownlife.

Now, once again, please cite your source for these accusations. Otherwise, it's more "he said-she said BS".

btownguy btownguy
Apr '14

Not about to cite my source and open her up to repercussions. But, my information is solid. High School Principal getting $133k and has never even been a Principal before. Let's see what new Elementary person gets, since they refused to hire Mr. Mai . Guaranteed the price would have been lower to hire inside and they would have known they were getting a quality administrator. There is bullying, bordering on intimidation going on in this district. Insiders are not going to divulge sources btown.

Htownmom31
Apr '14

Change is important,much of the same ,gives you much of the same.Maybe someone can stop all the drugs between all the schools ! Nobody is watching the hen house,the other day a student left the high school,in another persons car,had an accident,then came back to school.How did he leave,without notice?This is no longer a farm town,wake up.Save a salary,put on a full time police person.

I don't think any of this is new. Mr Gratz was the same. Brought in his pet Pit from previous school district to work with him, too many administrators and big salaries. Still not quite sure what they all did all year, curriculum administrators by subject, revising curriculum could be done in a month at most. Maintaining and administering could have been done by one person for all subjects.

He even tried to leave when he heard his pay would be cut, but then decided to stay longer when he found no one else would pay him the high salary anymore either.

These are comments from my own observations, and yes I did attend BOE meetings a few years back. I should disclose that I am bitter toward BOE. My child experienced a serious bullying incident at HHS by multiple members of a certain sports team. Since several of the BOE members at the time had children on that team, nothing was done. HIB policy sounds good but has no teeth.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '14

Unfortunately, I can't cite my sources.

I can tell you that if we don't do something, I suspect that the BOE will not put Mrs. Griffin's forced move on the public agenda. They will not take comments an any non-agenda items. Then they will go into closed session, vote on her removal, and re-open the session for comments after.

So, after Thursday night, Mrs. Griffin will be removed from her position and everyone who said "sensationalism!" or "cite your sources!" will be proven wrong, but too late to do anything about it. Whoops!

Is this the way a government should operate? Liberals and conservatives can both agree: when a government body hides things from the public, something's very, very wrong.

What do you say, Mr. Bordi? Will you prove me wrong on Thursday?

whistler
Apr '14

Whistler. I agree. As for citing sources, many of which are working in the system, doing so places them "on the radar." Mr. Mango, who is quite clearly a power hungry micromanager, is very vindictive and make these sources fearful of loosing there jobs...so sad that the district is systematically being ruined.

Forced2homeschool? Forced2homeschool?
Apr '14

Wow...things really this bad? I guess I live in a bubble. Didn't realize
All of this going on...

Townies Townies
Apr '14

Please its always back door meetings, the fish stinks from the head down ! The board of education is a joke,its a night out, a hobby,some of them coach sports.Laying the ground work for office,we all know that.Please give this topic a rest,move on.

So, what happened with this story?

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

If the BOE agenda is not posted for the public to view, how I am supposed to know what I am or am not allowed to comment on at the meeting on 4/26? What happened to transparency?

duh sigh
Apr '14

go and ask your questions, ask them, and write the editors of the warren reporter, times-express and star ledger, and Joyce Esty at wrnj, cc them on it, bring like minded parents and neighbors to the meeting with you,

get it all on the record,

sunlight is the best disinfectant

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Blah, Blah, Blah.

Every brave poster on here has a lot to say, but when the board election comes along there aren't enough candidates to fill the vacant seats.

Since you all have a great concern and interest in the process, put your time and effort where your mouths and keyboards are and run for the board yourselves! Then you too can be in on the "...joke,...night out,... hobby" although not sure what "some of them coach sports" has to do with anything.

Any takers?

The Shark
Apr '14

Was Blah,Blah,Blah, in the minutes? The seats are vacant when they are filled. What has changed?Same old stuff, like I said,a night out.

Lobo -

"The seats are vacant when they are filled" is a true Yogi-ism.

There is an election every year. Each year 3 seats are up for grabs.

Contact the Warren County Board of Elections and see what you need to do to file as a candidate.

Once Elected you can impart your learned insight from a position on the Board and straighten everybody out.

Oh - and you get 2-3 or more of those nights out every month. Sometimes for 4-5 hours at a time. Party! Party!

Look forward to having you represent us all on the Board as a Respected Community Leader.

The Shark
Apr '14

Thanks Shark,for the info !

Can anyone attend these meetings?

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

The meeting is open to the public and we will not have the opportunity to speak before the vote that will happen in executive session. Your voice can only be heard prior to the BOE meeting 4/26@7 at HHS Lit Lab. Write a letter or email to the members to voice your opinion about all four schools having all new management staffs in one year.

Anyone can access the BOE Agenda - just go to Hackettstown School District and click on the BOE tab and then board meetings, the agenda is posted before meetings.

lily pad lily pad
Apr '14

wait is the meeting the 24th or the 26th? 2 people referred to the meeting being the 26th, that's Saturday

lotsabin
Apr '14

The meeting is tomorrow night the 24th. It's in the board of ed website. It's open to the public just like all their meetings are. There may be some portion of the meeting that is closed session.

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

As of 8:50 am on 4/23, the Agenda for the 4/24 meeting has NOT been posted

duh sigh
Apr '14

CHANGES TO THE MEETING

DATE: Thursday, April 24, 2014

Public meeting is at 7pm (EXECUTIVE SESSION 6PM)

Mrs. Griffin is being called in at 6pm to have her meeting with the BOE and Mr. Mango.

Please go to the front doors of the high school at 5:30 to show your support for Mrs. Griffin.

IF YOU WANT YOUR VOICE HEARD WRITE AN EMAIL OR LETTER TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE BOARD AND MR. MANGO PRIOR TO MEETING.

Mr. Mango wants her at HH, New Hire and WG, Mr. Thompson at HMS

BOE Email List

rmoore@hackettstown.org
bbeck@hackettstown.org
gbordi@hackettstown.org
eomelia@gmrsd.com
tely@hackettstown.org
dfair@hackettstown.org
fgavin@aes.k12.nj.us
mherbst@hackettstown.org
mmaciag@hackettstown.org
sburke@hackettstown.org
jclarke@hackettstown.org
dmango@hackettstown.org
ninskeep@hackettstown.org

DLM

Thank you for posting this. I'm not surprised at all since I first posted my questions to which I was accused of "sensationalism, teen talk, and spreading rumors" since I wouldn't reveal my sources.

The Board would like everyone to believe this is in the best interest of the students but as I read your position changes it seems the only one to benefit is Mr. Thompson. Seems like he's furthering his career while the Middle School looses their competent principal for one that has no experience in a middle school setting. I could agree with the change if Mrs. Griffin were leaving and the position needed filling, he would be the perfect candidate from within, however she is not voluntarily leaving, she is involuntarily being moved to another school.

I too encourage people to be at HHS early and show Mrs. Griffin support. It may not change the outcome at all but at least she will see that parents and students value her as a principal and a person. More than I can say for the Board.

Apr '14

tomorrow's agenda is on the website

darwin darwin
Apr '14

GO TO THIS BOARD MEETING and fight against these new huge salaries!!!! It's disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big raises for everyone except the two administrators currently at the Middle School. If it's payback for the cheating scandal, it's obvious. Somethings rotten in Hackettstown. I smell huge District lawsuits headed our way. What is Mr. Mango trying to hide?????!!!!!!!

FightTheBully
Apr '14

Maybe parents of middle school students can bring their kids along. Everyone can show support as she goes in. I think the middle school students will be upset because from what I know ALL the kids love her. She has done great things and is so kind to the kids -- why move her unwillingly?

I think it would mean a lot to her to see not only adults, but her current and former students showing support. Plus it would be an "in your face" to Mango. Just an idea - don't blast me with insults -- just an idea...!

Hiedi Hiedi
Apr '14

Don't see the field trips page..???

Looks like Mr. McQueeny is now an Ass't Principal in Randolph...
MCQUEENEY PATRICK J $108,000 Assistant Principal High School
Randolph Township Schools Randolph High School
nice raise for him, up to 125K

Looks like the new fella, O'Leary, is from East Rutherford. Wonder if he knows anyone involved in his hiring who was at East Rutherford recently... BINGO--- hands up if you know the answer.

mammadone mammadone
Apr '14

the agenda is posted, here is the link

http://hackettstown.schoolwires.net/cms/lib7/NJ01000669/Centricity/Domain/30/Agenda%20PUBLIC%2042414.pdf

I'm confused the OP started this thread by saying Mrs Griffen is being forced to retire, but now it she says she is just being asked to move to Hatchery Hill? That's a pretty big difference.

darwin darwin
Apr '14

According to the link DLM posted: Regarding Mrs Griffen it is an involuntary transfer.

I'm amazed that Mr. Thompson will get $110,000 as principal of the MS yet new incoming WG principal Patrick McQueeney will make $125,000.

Couldn't find anyone qualified that wanted to be principal of HH within the district? Believe we should promote from within first.

Wish I didn't work Thursday so that I could go to the meeting.

Nancy Nancy
Apr '14

alert the media as well, the easton times express and the star ledger. ask them to attend the pre-meeting closed door session, let them see and feel the frustration of parents and children being locked out of the 'executive session' process as the BOE rams through some unpopular changes.

sunlight is the best disinfectant

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Mr. Mai is the VP of the Middle School and interviewed and was not even given a chance. Everyone expected Mr. Mai to get this position. Considering his salary is listed at 76k, I'm sure it would've been lower than the 125k the new guy is getting. I guess being an insider who has been in district for years is not on Mango's agenda. Gotta pay his friends, I guess.

Htownmom31
Apr '14

I really wonder why Mr. Mai is not getting Hatchery or HMS position? I know he was going to leave the district but after several parents begging him to stay he did. This man deserves a principal position more than any new guy to the district, or old for that matter. He is 100% for the children here and this is where he will do well and our children will do well also!

Also both my children went to the middle school with Mrs Griffen one the entire 4 years and the other just 2 years and let me say she will do much better in a elementary school!
She does have a heart and is not a bad person so please do not take my post and tear it apart. HMS need someone who is tough on the kids and not just happy happy. They need rules at this age not just smile and it will be all better!

meeee4 meeee4
Apr '14

Wasn't Mrs. Griffin an elementary school teacher for years and years? Is it possible that the boe sees an opportunity to fill the open principal position at the elementary school with someone who is experienced in that area? Also, aren't teachers moved to different grade levels and even different schools all the time? I am confused as to why this is different?

georgea georgea
Apr '14

I think Mr. Thompson will do a better job at the MS than both Mrs. Griffin and Mr. Mai is doing. Hopefully changes for the better will happen at the school. I don't know if Mr. Mai was not able to do his best at the middle school because Marie held him back, but both of them need improvement at that age level.

I also hope in the future that administrators, teachers, staff, and students are held accountable for their actions.

I wish them all good luck in their new positions.

neighborhood watcher
Apr '14

htownmom31 where are their salaries listed?

lotsabin
Apr '14

http://php.app.com/edstaff/search.php

Htownmom31
Apr '14

Involuntary transfer? Isn't that called life. Happens all the time, employees asked/ told to switch departments, divisions heck some companies relocate their employees all over the place. No where near the same as the OP told us she is being forced to retire.

So if the board felt she would help the district more at the elementary level I don't see why there would be much outcry

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

lotsabin: http://php.app.com/edstaff/search.php

I worked at Willow Grove as an aide when Mr. Thompson began teaching. He walked into the building with presence. Kids would be running, etc., and he could always get them to stop and pay attention. The kids enjoyed his class room, and he worked well with the students...they listened to him and he never raised his voice. As a parent, I have had conversations with him and he has listened to me, not just disregarded my ideas. He is a young, family man and he is very aware of the demographics of the student population. As for him working his way up the ladder aren't we all on the ladder as well?

mammadone mammadone
Apr '14

Amen Darwin.

Changes are long overdue at all 4 schools.

Mango was hired to do a job - let him do it. I doubt maintaining the status quo was ever in the plan.

Give him a chance and see what happens. If it all goes south, then come on here and raise Cain.

Stop being a bunch of Henny Pennies.

Barnacle Bill
Apr '14

I am a big fan of Mr Thompson and Mrs. Griffin, the idea of changing all FOUR schools management in one year is unsettling to me.

The only constant is change.

Darwin...good one with "Involuntary transfer? Isn't that called life...and I, like neighborhood watcher, wish everyone good luck in their new positions.

georgea georgea
Apr '14

Not having any direct knowledge of the situation, my only comment would be that we have no idea of all of the variables involved in the decisions. I voted for several of the board members and have worked with them on other projects, I trust their judgement. Though administration changes may seem unsettling to many, I have no problem with it. Those in direct contact with my children are doing a fantastic job (aka teachers) and yes, direction from the top helps them, but I think change can be good sometimes.

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

Change is good. Maybe the school employees need a shot of reality. People can be moved. Happens all the time in the private sector. At least they still all have jobs with health benefits and a public pension. That is a lot more than most of us!

Give it a chance., hopefully maybe all the change will provide us with even better quality of life for our kids.

The sky is not falling!

justreality
Apr '14

as a retired teacher - knowing nothing about the education system here - change can be good or bad or indifferent - new administrators can make or break moral at a school - more than affecting test scores etc - but as one often affected, I can say that making a change when things have been working really well tends to have a negative effect - I can also say that many changes causes teachers to realize they will be there long after the administrator du jour - and in my experience this can make a staff stronger - and lets face it - it is the teachers who do the real work--as a side issue I can state that teachers are never asked what they think is working/not working - years ago I took a course in administration and one thing sticks with me - the people farthest away with the kids are the ones who make the decisions that most impact on this kids - end of serman

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

What was the outcome of the cheating scandal,does anybody know?

It's a move to a new school. Get over it. Happens all the time. The big issue here seems to be these salaries. Why are these new people getting paid so much more than the people already working here? Are they really that much more experienced OR are they just the new administration's buddies? This seems to be a bigger concern for the taxpayers. Why are these salaries so high? This is Warren County, not Bergen. Why bring in these people when they could find locals willing to work at Warren County rates?

Txs72
Apr '14

sorry sermon---I really have to proofread before posting

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

LOBO
Go to the meeting and ask. Or just keep posting trying to make the district look bad.. Make it your hobby to come out.

justreality
Apr '14

Employee Part of meeting changed to 5pm.

Make the district look bad, they did that on there own,as far as the meeting, seems the time keeps changing,oh well !

Tx72--could not agree with you more!!! So much for creating harmony within the district when the new guy makes more than the one who has been doing the job! Maybe if they had promoted from within the district, the salary expense might not be so high.

Nancy Nancy
Apr '14

No reporters available from Express Times to attend tonight's meeting -
Concerned parents and individuals are encouraged to call
NJ Editor Ed Segert ext 3554 at 610-258-7171
Can be to support Mrs. Griffin, express concern over Mango, or whatever you'd like to voice

Remember Freedom of Speech is a constitutional right; however, it comes with a cost that you may not want your children or loved one to pay from those in charge who do not like to support Freedom of Speech to their changes (goes against education ...) The Press also has a right to keep their sources private to protect them.

bobbie1975 bobbie1975
Apr '14

So what happened?

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

Correct me if I am wrong... this woman was offered a 100 grand job in these tough economic times and is an employee of the district, not just the middle school and she is complaining?!

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

Hackettstown Parents criticize transfer of Marie Griffen:

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/warren-county/express-times/index.ssf/2014/04/hackettstown_parents_criticize.html#incart_river

Nancy Nancy
Apr '14

Crazy Jane- I don't think she is complaining about her salary, she is losing the job that she has come to love and probably feels as though she is leaving her home job. Why would she be happy about that? I'm sure it's very personal to her, not "just" a job.

From what I know of Mrs. Griffin, she is a lovely woman that loves being with the kids in the middle school...no one can doubt she cares about them deeply. Aside from that, I can't say much else because I don't work in that building, and I don't have first-hand knowledge of how well things are being taken care of.

tripsy tripsy
Apr '14

So the district wants to take someone with a Masters in Special Education and place them in the school with lots of the Special Education facilities. That's a logical decision. It's certainly a better one than hiring from outside the district to manage that aspect.

btownguy btownguy
Apr '14

District Employee....not "Middle School Employee". OMG. Over 100 k and COMPLAINING! Let us be real.
Many people would appreciate Mr. Mango and what he is trying to do. OMG How unappreciative!

Crazy Jane
Apr '14

Crazy Jane, people can agree or disagree on whether she is best for the Middle School, but she had every right to fight for the job she was doing. I think that would be the normal course of action for anyone, whether it be in the Private or Public sector.

I work in the IT industry, where people get shuffled around a lot, but if I felt strongly on the job I was doing, I would fight to keep my position, even if they were moving me to a lateral position with the same pay.

The fact the she is making 100k, which you mention repeatedly (and is much more than I make), really has no bearing on how she should feel about where she would best be able to perform her job.

Personally, I like Mrs. Griffin and I like Mr. Thompson.

Mr Thompson is well liked at Willow Grove. Who's to say he won't be just as great a leader in the MS as Mrs. Griffin? People need to give them all a chance in their new positions before assuming their child won't receive the support they need. Who knows...they may get more or better support under a new leader. Maybe give THEM a little support!

Apr '14

Well said concernedparent...Exactly!

htownlifer htownlifer
Apr '14

They should also shuffle the secretaries around as well.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Apr '14

Looking to move to Htown from Washington Township, have child in kindergarten. Now a bit worried with all I am reading!

Marion Marion
Apr '14

I'm not worried and I have a child at Willow. The staff is great and will continue to teach the children well. I've also heard good things about the new principal (from people not in Hackettstown). I think Hatch will be in very capable hands with Mrs. griffin. She may not want to leave HMS, but I think she'll put forth every effort to make Hatch succeed. And I'm looking forward to my child having Mr. Thompson for 4 years when she gets to HMS.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
Apr '14

Htown - Agreed - Marion I'm not worried either, many here know I have three - 1 graduated a few years back, and 2 in middle school now - The staff at all of the schools are wonderful and they have all had a good experience. I'm one of those you get out of it what you put into it. I voted for the board members and trust their judgement.

trekster3- trekster3-
Apr '14

Evidently Mr. Mango feels Hatchery Hill is "broken". I have to disagree. What's wrong is the low morale he has created among the faculty and staff.

Apr '14

Again, what happen with the cheating scandal,does anyone know? Under the rug?What were the Boards feelings on this? Think change was needed, looks like it !

Marion if you are in Washington Township (Morris County) I would keep your child there. The school system in Washington Township is much better than Hackettstown. As far as changes in Hackettstown it seems as though Mr. Mango has an agenda and nothing is going to change it. Mrs. Griffin and Mr. Thompson are wonderful administrators and will do their best no matter which school they are at.

lily pad lily pad
May '14

Lily Pad -

Mr Mango does have an agenda - it's called doing his job.

That's what he was hired for so let him do it.

The Gratz / Sarcone era has not been Camelot, so give the guy a chance to do things his way.

Also - would love to hear your personal experience with WT schools where you think they are so much better than ours. Not state numbers - your personal experience.

Barnacle Bill
May '14

14 % College Readiness, please !

Sorry, just need a little clarification. According the Board of Ed minutes, Kyle Sosnovik has been appointed Vice Principal at a salary of 90,000. For the year 2013-14 he was a math teacher with 4 years teaching experience at a salary of 59,255. After 4 years he has experienced enough academic life to take on budgets, student issues, and writing grant applications.

Also, the Gratz/Sarcone era was only 2 years, where have you been? Bob Gratz did amazing things for this district, even with the despicable Steffner at the High School.

acl76 acl76
May '14

What happened to Mr. Mae? Wasn't he the vice principal?

Heidi Heidi
May '14

acl76 -

You lost me - What's your point? Principal is a promotion from Faculty to Admin. Should he not be paid a Principal's salary? Most of these are based on a scale according to position, not necessarily previous salary. The VP position will get that salary, maybe more, regardless of who gets hired.

As for the end of an era, just know that a culture change in the district was sorely needed and welcome.

Barnacle Bill
May '14

Anybody know where the superintendent's merit pay funds come from (in the budget)? Seems like "merit pay" is just a way to get around the salary cap and is extra money paid for doing part of their job. At least h'town lists what the merit pay was for. G'meadows just lists merit pay - doubt they even know what merit really is.

bobbie1975 bobbie1975
May '14

"doubt they even know what merit really is"

very true statement, they have no idea what constitutes true merit,

just like the kids get in class, every one in the organization always gets a gold star, just for showing up.

"the best, we have just the best of the very bestest right here . . . . . . . ."

(repeat ad nuaseum)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
May '14

Same guy anyway!! btw Barnacle....all my kids went through Hackettstown, no issues, both got Master's degrees...working in their fields. I work in Corporate America (Lucent), where NO ONE gets a 40K salary increase ...

acl76 acl76
May '14

"NO ONE gets a 40K salary increase"

Yes you would. You go from an entry level manager to VP or a higher end Division and you might get a 40K increase just in the ESOP or NQPP. Year over year certainly not, but if you're changing jobs it can happen.

hey folks - there are salary guides based on position, years of experience, and degrees and sometimes credits above the degrees - these guides should be available to the public -
there is nothing new here - I would hope an outsider wouldn't come in and make more than the person promoted from within - with comparable years of experience and education-

5catmom 5catmom
May '14

Mr. Mai is the VP at the Middle School

May '14

Just looked on the board of ed agenda....job opening for assistant principal at middle school. Did Mr. Mai resign??

acl76 acl76
Jul '14

which agenda did you just look at acl76? Your own Mango bashing as usual?

getrealpeople
Jul '14

so very tired of the bullies running our school system, it's past time to stand up to them.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

The position is also listed under employment opportunities. I was also curious. Hopefully he found a better paying job.

Curious Curious
Jul '14

Dear Get:
Here is the website: http://www.hackettstown.org, highlight employment, this is the first listing....

HACKETTSTOWN PUBLIC SCHOOLS

ANTICIPATED OPENING

MIDDLE SCHOOL ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL

Hackettstown School District is currently seeking an Assistant Middle School Principal with the following qualifications:

· Administrative experience preferred but not required

· Clear knowledge of Achieve NJ and State regulations

· Effective communicator

· Proven leadership skills

Please send Letter of Interest, Resume, Copy of
Certification and 3 Letters of Reference
no later than July 30, 2014 to:

Mrs. Dawn McPeek
Hackettstown Public Schools
PO Box 465
Hackettstown, NJ 07840

AA/EOE

acl76 acl76
Jul '14

According to the GMRSD BOE agenda Mr. Mai will be Central Schools new principal.

14.1.12 Motion to approve Michael Mai for the 2014-2015 school
year as Central School Principal with a starting date to be determined.
Annual salary will be $90,000.00, prorated.

coffeegirl coffeegirl
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.