Coupons in Sundays Paper

I think we've been down this road before (a while ago) and looking for input from those that get the paper delivered. We get the Star Ledger delivered and noticed that I'm not getting the coupon flyers or not all of the coupon flyers anymore. The ones I'm asking about are the Red Plum, Smart Source and P&G. Curious to know if you're having the same issue. If anyone thinks about, could they post what flyers (only the 3 mentioned) are in their paper tomorrow. We used to also get some of the coupon flyers in the marketing section of Thursdays Star Ledger and while we get the marketing section, no coupons anymore:( Not sure where the problem is.
Thanks

Bessie Bessie
Mar '14

It always happened to us also. I stopped getting it delivered and now I buy them and check to make sure they have them. If I can remember I will have one of my kids check when they get the paper.

Coupons are getting harder and harder to find for the things we use. I get alot I do not use so if there are ones you are looking for let me know and I will throw them your way.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

A few weeks back, I stopped in the Quick Chek on 517 to buy a newspaper. An older lady (65 plus) was going through all of the newspapers and taking the coupons sections!

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Mar '14

I have also seen that and have complained to the staff. They stopped the person from doing it also. Thats why I always check.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

3 sets of coupons in today's Herald: 2 Red Plum and 1 Smart Source.

Pam C

John C John C
Mar '14

I got with today's Star Ledger only one set of coupons - Smart Source. No coupons came with last Thursday newspaper.

I use to love all the coupons too! I think because of all the smart phones out now, coupons are just being scanned into the phones instead..but I don't own a smart phone =(

MaggieMay MaggieMay
Mar '14

Maggie, I shop at ShopRite and they have coupons that can be "loaded" to your price plus card. Just visit thier site and click on coupons- digital coupons.

I am like you, no smart phone, so this is better then nothing.

i have seen people grabbing flyers out of the sunday papers and stuffing them into the one they are buying.

have also seen whole carts full of sunday papers that had no booklets in them and then on the rack next to the cart the same paper had two or three coupon booklet in them

?????

look inside your paper before you buy it, and talk loudly to the clerks that these papers don;t have booklets,

if you see someone removing and stuffing then say loudly "why are you doing that?"

nothing like a little public shame to get people to think twice

Bessie, i'm about to head out for this sunday's ledger and will let you know if i get any booklets, question for you: what county edition was delivered to you this am? It says right on the front page,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '14

We buy the Star Ledger. There was only one Smart Source circular in there. The Morris County Daily Record and Express Times had Red Plum and Smart Source.

Mariann Mariann
Mar '14

My Thursdays Star-Ledger had no coupons,but I got smart source delivered with my mail on Friday along with Shop-Rite coupons for free chicken and oj and 5 or 10$ off your order.Sundays Star-Ledger had the same smart source coupons.

Bought the S ledger and there is only Smart Source. Express Times has 3. Happy that Walgreens was in the paper today. Usually missing.

botheredbyuu
Mar '14

got the 'state edition' of the starledger at quickcheck, just one smartsource in it, no redplum.

checked a few in the stacks and they were all the same, 1 smartsource booklet, no redplums

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '14

thanks people - didn't know I could load coupons onto my shop rite club card - I hate paper clipping but I always have my card with me - just have to remember to check online weekly

5catmom 5catmom
Mar '14

Love the digital SR coupons:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '14

I usually get the Shoprite and Weis fliers on Thursdays or Fridays with the coupon booklets. Did not receive any of it this week.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '14

We get Star Ledger & NY Daily.News delivered .. Star Ledger had 1 Smartsource & Daily News had 1 Smartsource & 1 Redplum today

Toolboxsue Toolboxsue
Mar '14

I used to get the star ledger delivered, loved the coupons, but discontinued delivery - to my surprise and delight, we get a star ledger shopping section in our mail weeky - with all the coupons you would normally get in sunday's paper - never asked for it, it just started coming regularly when I DISCONTINUED the paper delivery!!

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '14

Bessie you can have my coupons...Have not been using them, bc I use Shoprite at home service..My grown children do not use coupons(shudder the thought)..I get coupons every week on Thursday with a mailer...And on Sunday with the Express Times....

reedfamilyrocks reedfamilyrocks
Mar '14

reedfamily - you can use coupons for shoprite at home service -

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '14

Try the website living rich with coupons. You can print a lot from there.

If you shop at Weis, you can load coupons onto the their card, as well. Their website then lets you print an organized list of what coupons you have. We also use their android app.

@simo..I find that to be a great website for printing coupons, you're pretty much assured they're legit..too many bad coupons out there to go to unreliable sites. Rich..I didn't realize you could download coupons onto you're Weis card (probably because I don't shop there much), but I'll have to check it out..thanks for the info.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '14

pmnsk, that's exactly what happened to us. We cancelled the paper delivery and started receiving the fliers and coupons in Thursday or Friday's mail. Except this week. This week, nothing.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '14

Pmnsk and Tracy -

I do get the Star Ledger and I also receive some coupons in the mail on Thurs / Friday - I will say that it is not exactly the same as the ones in the Sunday paper, but it is better than nothing.

Coralie Coralie
Mar '14

that's odd Tracy, I got the usual

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '14

For the record...1 flyer in the Star Ledger, 3 in the Express Times. Problem appears to be with the Star Ledger.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '14

Our Star Ledger had 1 red plum, 1 regular Smart Source and 1 special Smart Source. Got maybe 3 coupons I use from all. Most are processed food coupons we do not use. I kepp all cleaning ones but end up recycling them because it is cheaper to buy store brands.

Christine Christine
Mar '14

Bessie-yes, thats what I got and posted. The S ledger quite often doesnt have many. Would still like to know why some people get the hard coupons from Srite and others, me included, don't. I've been shopping there and using my card for 20+ years.

botheredbyuu
Mar '14

we get both star ledger and express times.
Express times always have expected number of inserts(they do have coupons insert schedule online).
Star ledger == only smartsource and P&G from past 2-3 years.
I called star ledger customer service and they informed that they are not associated with redplum anymore....atleast not in Htown area.
The smartsource coupons found in star ledger are the best. But you get Mcdonalds/KFC card coupons or mini booklets in express times only. Hope that helps

thanks for that info ERS...I print most of my coupons on line, but do like to see what's in the flyers. I think they're going more and more away from the coupons in the papers and more to printing online and downloading onto your store cards. For any couponers, have you been checking savingstar.com..it's really been improving with their $5.00 offers.

Bessie Bessie
Mar '14

So my fliers arrived today, dated March 7th.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '14

Today's Star Ledger didn't have SmartSource in it, while the rest of my papers did.

You can go to couponmom.com to check for next week's coupons so you know which ones to look for when you go to the store on Sunday. (since sometimes SS and RP skip a week for some unknown reason)

Organic Nut Organic Nut
Jun '14

Wow, I thought I was the only one complaining that the Star Ledger was shorting me on coupons. When I first subscribed, years ago, Thursdays and Sundays were coupon days. It's been a couple months since I received coupons in a Thursday Star Ledger paper. Sundays are being shorted also on coupons. I called to complain to no avail. I receive The Record and always receive all coupons. I am thinking of canceling The Star Ledger.

Pat D Pat D
Jun '14

ww.pennwypinchinmom.com Excellent site for coupons. You can sign up for emails about how many sunday paper inserts there's going to be and which ones.

jaemae jaemae
Jun '14

To those looking at the digital coupons for shoprite this week, to get to them on line, go to Shoprite.com, click on digital coupons. This will reveal a list of normal coupons. But in the right hand top corner of the page is a little banner for this week's special coupons shown in the circular. Click on that banner and a second list of 8 or 9 pages of coupons will appear.

Tricky rabbits.

(of course that chance that this post appears in a timely fashion is 50% at best....:>(((

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Jun '15

Thanks, mistergoogle. Between you and me and the lamppost...This is too much work and wondering about those that do not have computers or printers or are not very computer savvy (Yes, there are some of those people left out there!)...
Also wondering why the stores don't just make the prices cheaper to begin with and eliminate all of this coupon stuff completely...

joyful joyful
Jun '15

Joyful: I could do without coupons too and just have straight-up cheaper pricing, but remember JCPenney tried it by lowering prices and eliminating sales ( their version of coupons) and people did not like it. For some reason people have a need to actually see they are getting something cheaper, even though they are really not. When they see one price and then can, thru coupons or sales, get it cheaper they feel like they have saved money. They don't get that experience if they pay the posted price, even if it is low. I'm finding less and less useful coupons. Either you have to buy 2-3 of the item, when you only need one, or they are for the less popular products. They also seem to expire quickly.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Jun '15

I agree joyful. Like many things in life, it is the game so I chose to play to win.... As long as it doesn't cost more than it's worth. I find the banner click to get to the good promo's to be insult on injury since it is like going on a scavenger hunt to find it. But there are some good deals for bulk purchases there.

Jun '15

This week has to be the first time in their history that Shoprite is promoting their digital coupons as heavily as they are this week??? I can't ever remember them offering so many of the digital coupons via their weekly sales circular.

I've been trying to load my digital coupons, but it was so slow yesterday and where it says "more" on the coupon, doesn't open when I click on it . They weren't loading correctly, so I will try again tomorrow.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jun '15

I have noticed that some of digital coupons advertised in this weeks Shop Rite circular, are not on their website to load to card. Anyone know why?

Jun '15

botheredbyuu2 - Did you follow Mr G's directions above? Click on the banner he's talking about to get the other list of coupons.

No, I clicked on digital coupons and they come up, but not all of them.

Jun '15

It's very frustrating and kind of a slap in the face to ShopRite preferred card holders. Why must I now spend time downloading their digital coupons on top of them tracing my habits via my card? They can lower the price and limit amounts without the customers doing this. Pretty lousy of them.

And I did email their corporate office to give my two cents.

Easier then cutting coupons, when it works, which now its not. I also emailed them about the issue I'm having.

Jun '15

I've been using the SR digital coupons for awhile now. I don't care if they track what I'm purchasing. It sometimes works out well that when they spit out the paper ones at the start of the transaction, they are useful for stuff I would get anyway.
They've workers in the vestibule of the Flanders one for a few weeks now promoting the digital ones.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jun '15

I am with you, botheredbyuu2 and Suze....I just spent the last 20 minutes trying to do this Shop Rite digital coupon thing and decided I am shopping at Weis this week...

joyful joyful
Jun '15

Me too, joyful (shopping at Weis). And yes it may be easier than cutting coupons and yes we sometimes get coupons that specifically relate to our usual purchases but it seems like they make the consumer do all the work when we are already giving them our information and our business.

LOL Joyful. Good call! See you there ; )

Jun '15

botheredbyuu2 - You didn't follow Mr G's instructions then. The section "Digital Coupons" only contains the normal set. You have to put your mouse over "Coupons" at the top right. Then after that, it gives you a list that begins "BIG Brand Bash Digital Coupons" and then "Digital Coupons". Clicking on BIG Brand Bash Digital Coupons is the only way to get to the list from the paper. Any other way gets you only the normal list.

I agree on two accounts - the website has been far too slow, for part of Sunday it was even down. It's also not good to have two separate lists. With the website down Sunday I was considering going to the courtesy desk and let them load it up for me. I understand they want to drive activity of their on line system, but they aren't prepared for the amount of use it's getting.

BBU: the more button has never worked. Best to print out results via the shopping list to see the rules, requirements and limitations.

Plus if you create a shopping list by clicking on items in the digital circular; the result will be a multi page color extravaganza with pictures of broccoli and clever help like, "eat raw with dip for an appetizer or cook ......" Like I need to kill a tree for that.

So I end up emailing "plain format," doing so line edits and printing A painful five minute adder. But I do only use one page.

However, if you skip the circular item selection, and just do digital coupons, try looking at and then printing the digital shopping list ----- it will only have your current coupons. Then you can use that paper for the rest of your handwritten list.

Better living through workarounds.

Jun '15

The only use to me for the shopping list is on the phone app. Then you don't have to print it, you go around the store with the app and click off items as you get them.

I've been using the digital coupons for awhile now. It's nice for me since i don't get any newspapers. For me, it's easy to do on my phone by tapping on whatever coupon I want & then it goes right on my price plus card.
I do understand how frustrating it would be though if you don't have access or cannot use the coupons this way.
I agree with everyone else about wishing the stores would just reduce prices.

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Jun '15

I think the best thing is that you can use the digital coupon plus the paper coupon that gets doubled. My ritual is on Sunday morning, I have my first cup of coffee and go on Shop Rites website, sign in and click on my coupons. If the website is being a pain, I go back later. I find the amount I save between the digital coupons and the paper coupons and the price plus savings, I can't afford not to do it. I'm pretty coupon savvy and get quit a bit free and doubt that lower prices would give me the same savings. You can load coupons on to your card in A&P & Weis. Nice that you can always go to Weis when you're unhappy anytime. Don't even get me started on Saving Star and Ibotta, LOL. I try to lower my grocery bills and buy food for the Lord's Pantry every way I can.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '15

Coupons load fine from my smartphone. Been doing it for years. All the special ones came up, no extra steps.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Jun '15

Bessie brings up a good idea. The "hot" discount is to use a paper coupon on top of a digital coupon. For now SR honors both although I can't imagine this will last. Especially good when paper is under $1 so it doubles on top of the digital coupon.

Thanks for the smartphone inputs; mine is still learning and apparently needs help to be smarter :>)

Jun '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.