Movie Suggestions / Reviews

Great one, Capt Phillips Also All Is Lost with Robert Redford. He is the only one in the movie and doesnt speak but maybe 5 words the whole time. Definitely holds your interest. IMO!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

All is Lost was overated....it's been done before. How many more "lost in the ocean" movies/shows can I see. It just wasn't original for me. Capt Phillips...best movie i've seen this past year. Amazing

TEACHaNATOR TEACHaNATOR
Feb '14

Most recent movie I saw was American Hustle, based on the Abscam scandal.

Enjoyed it, and some of it actually happened!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '14

The Wolf of Wall Street . Wall Street's worst decade of decadence meets Goodfellas . Could've been shorter though . Also enjoyed American Hustle , but the previews and hype had me expecting much more .

Zombo Zombo
Feb '14

Escape plan with Sylvester stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger is a good one too!

Jerseyguy Jerseyguy
Feb '14

This!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Jerseyguy-saw that and Im not a fan of either guy, but must say it was a good movie.

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

I saw American Hustle. They could have cut about 30 min out of it as well. Tried a little too hard to give Jennifer Lawrence good/funny lines. It was very good, nonetheless.

We went and saw Monuments Men this past weekend. It was good, not great. And I say that with the caveat that I love history and seeing it portrayed on the big screen. There was a great preview for 'A Million Ways to Die in the West'. Directed by Seth McFarlane, who also stars. Looks really funny. And Charlize Theron is the female lead.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '14

I saw Escape Play and thought it was OK. Even with my "mindless action movie" hat on, I thought it was a little lackluster. The action wasn't that great and the plot left some to be desired...even for an Arnie/Sly action movie.

Captain Phillips was indeed a very, very good movie. Tom Hanks is an amazing actor. It's almost unbelievable that he's the guy from Bosom Buddies.

I watched 2 Guns and found it entertaining but boy, it sure seems like Denzel and Marky Mark play the same characters over and over. I'd like to see Lone Survivor with Wahlberg.

The trailer above is Godzilla. That and the new Captain America: Winter Soldier movies are my most anticipated movies this year. Yes, I'm a fanboy.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Captain Philips was very good. Haven't seen 2 Guns or Lone Survivor. Definitely on the to do list as is Elysium.

As for new releases, I'm looking forward to Noah and that's about it.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '14

I thought the "pirates" in Capt Phillips were fantastic actors. So believable!

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

Definitely. And that was their first acting gig. They are Somalis who immigrated here and live in Minnesota.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '14

August: Osage County. Meryl Streep is nominated for best actress and she gives a terrific performance.

Philomena-Judy Dench also nominated for best actress.

American Hustle-loved it!

Gravity-saw it in 3D IMAX. It was awesome.

Chickadee Chickadee
Feb '14

the best I've seen - Nebraska, Philomena, and Gravity for the adventure

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Gravity was impressive as well. The sound and video quality was breathtaking.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Prisoners was better than i thought it would be. Surprisingly good.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '14

emaxx- It's fanboy heaven right now with 3 Marvel based feature films this year , the Flash pilot coming soon to the CW network to go along with Arrow , the "Gotham" Batman based prequel coming to Fox , a Heroes 13 episode mini series on NBC (with a different cast) , another Sin City movie in August , and Marvel's deal with Netflix streaming which will bring a Daredevil , Luge Cage ,and other Hell's kitchen heroes each with their own 13 episode series that culminates in a Avenger's type mini series - The Defenders . The Guardians of the Galaxy movie leading up to the 2015 Avengers movie looks totally played for laughs though .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

http://marvel.com/news/tv/2013/11/7/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

Zombo Zombo
Feb '14

12 Years a Slave - more like this please

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Feb '14

Marvel should just take my paycheck now. :-)

The Arrow TV show is spectacular. I can't wait for The Flash. I actually liked the old CBS version they had years ago. I was in college and it was good for its time.

I never got into Heroes so I may have to check the older seasons before watching this new one. I always wanted to watch it but never got around to it.

I'm in the minority for sure but I didn't think Affleck was that bad in Daredevil. I'm eager to see him as Batman. The Luke Cage/Iron Fist comic was one of my favorites so that's on my watch list too. The GOG looks very interesting. I just picked up all of the issues from the current volume of GOG. Pretty good so far.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

MNJ - We liked Prisoners as well. Very well done. It reminded me of another similar plot and low key but very good movie...Gone Baby Gone.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

The only movie I've seen this year is August:Osage County. I wanted to see Inside Llewyn Davis, but apparently fetuses get a vote and I lost 2-1. It was pretty good even though not what I would have chosen; ill be surprised if Meryl Streep doesn't get her 4th Best Actress.

I also saw it at Frank Banko Cinemas, so at least I got to drink beer the whole way through, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '14

Gone Baby Gone... was that the one with the "other" Affleck in it?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '14

Captain Phillips was a great film...the last five minutes was Tom Hanks' greatest achievement on film to date.

All is Lost was fantastic, but not for the average movie watcher, including those with short attention spans (This means you, 95% of the world.) And it isn't just a movie about a guy lost at sea. It is the perfect metaphor for man growing older and dealing with the insults inflicted on ones body by age until "all is lost" and death follows.

I still desperately want to see 12 Years a Slave which will never show around here.

I felt Gravity was disappointing...visually stunning, but clunky storyline and symbolism that was about as subtle as a cockroach on a white rug.

eperot eperot
Feb '14

12 Years is playing in Montclair - It was at the Bowtie Mansfield for a bit - but I missed it ---

thought Osage was just ok but Meryl Streep was her usual fabulous

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Gravity disappointing. Lone survivor good but put too much in the gun battle not enough on what happened next. Frozen was really good. Music was great too. Loved capt Phillips. Missed 12 years wish it would come back.

just coach just coach
Feb '14

Nebraska with Bruce Dern. Classic. http://youtu.be/ZuIBvmxIN4w

waybill waybill
Feb '14

GOJIRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWuTzlgUqoI

Thanks emaxxman, I wasn't even aware of a remake. I'm a big fan of the schlocky horror genre aka "Psychotronic" films. The preview looks awesome and may do the original story justice with modern effects, rather than the "rubber suits".

Since the first link was to BOC, I thought this link nay also be in order:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClQcUyhoxTg

Sadly, the link they provide there doesn't work again courtesy of NBC,
however, here's a link - wish they had better editing though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Wv0qjJ-Mg

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '14

I liked Lone Survivor, very intense movie. I really liked the tribute at the end to the real soldiers, nice touch. Just saw American Hustle this weekend, really enjoyed it as well, l thought Louis CK was very funny. I thought Gravity was awful, it just kept getting more ridiculous with each passing scene. I was waiting for the theme from Jaws in the final scene.

Denis Denis
Feb '14

Movies are about love and lack of love. That's about it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '14

Wow, a bunch I have to see. Must find time. Waiting for them to come out on Redbox. Lol

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

American Hustle - Enjoyed very much

August, Osage County - So disappointed. But Merryl Streep will get an award for her performance

Jack Ryan, Shadow Recruit - Not a movie I would have picked but was very good

Dallas Buyers Club - Very long, glad I watched at home on Demand, a great performance by Matthew McConnaghey

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '14

Phil D. - Here you go:
http://screenrant.com/godzilla-2014-images/

ian - Yes, Gone Baby Gone is the one with Casey Affleck. Ben was the director (and a very good director he was at that.)

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Affleck has become a very good director. Argo and The Town were excellent movies.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Feb '14

The Academy Awards are tomorrow , here is 12 Years a Slave in 480p dvd quality just scroll down to version one and click on play . The academy voters get copies of the movies and the best nominees always make it to the net so it's not just some doofus with a camera in a theater filming it ! All the movies nominated are in good quality on this site , just x out the spam behind it - on top with Chrome browser , minimize on Firefow and IE and x out spam behind it . Although I haven't used IE in years so your computer may catch on fire and explode . Just kidding !

http://putlocker.bz/watch-12-years-a-slave-online-free-putlocker.html

Zombo Zombo
Mar '14

12 Years a Slave is back at the Mansfield Cinema

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Mar '14

I saw "12 Years A Slave" Tuesday night at the Mansfield Cinema. Very intense and riveting - so I thought. I'm currently reading an online transcript of the original book via OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on the UNC Chapel Hill website under their copyright of 1997, since the original from 1853 passed into public domain. I'm curious to see how closely the movie follows the book:

http://docsouth.unc.edu/fpn/northup/northup.html

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '14

Saw Gravity this past weekend. Disappointed! Slow and IMO, boring. Glad I waited for RedBox $1.28, instead of wasting $10.00+ at the movies.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Captain America:The Winter Soldier - 4 out 5 stars:
http://screenrant.com/captain-america-2-reviews/

88% on rottentomatoes.com

I can't wait to see it. Going on Sunday.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

Cant wait to see Heaven is for Real. Looks really good.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Grand Budapest Hotel....can't wait. Wes Anderson has a free pass for me, i'll watch anything he does without question.

Saw "Before Midnight" yesterday, the third in the trilogy (also Before Sunrise and Before Sunset) and it was fantastic. To watch Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy grow into their respective roles over 18 years of this series is astonishing. You'd swear they were a real couple facing strife and the troubles that plague any relationship that has lasted into middle age. Highly recommended.

eperot eperot
Apr '14

Captain America was freakin' awesome. The reviews and previews nailed it...it was a well-written spy thriller first and foremost. In fact, I would say it was a spy thriller that just happened to have a superhero in it. With that said, the action scenes were great too. You got see just how great a fighter Cap is. They did a great job with Falcon and ScarJo had a very nice role as well (and she's HOT!)

I don't want to give away anything by saying too much. For me, it was easily the best written Marvel movie to date; good character development and a foreshadow of things to come. The mid-credits scene was the awesome too.

My favorite of the Marvel movies...can you tell I loved the movie?

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

That's good to know. My daughter can't wait to see it. Thanks :)

positive positive
Apr '14

Saw CATWS in 3D IMAX AMC Rockaway today emaxx and it was a non-stop slam bang thrill ride . I got so caught up in it I wondered how are these 3 going to get out of this situation during the battle in the street ! Funny to see the Gary Shandling Senator from Iron Man 2 again . Going a week later at the morning matinee on a weekday almost guarantees a nearly empty theater . Sit up top and use the top exit door to use the balcony(connecting theaters 8&9) restroom at your leisure . No doubt the "twins" were Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in an Avengers Age of Ultron prelude .

If you see ASM 2 before I do please start a new 2014 Summer movie thread . Now I hear there is a possibility of an Agent Carter tv series because of the Marvel One Shot Agent Carter (link below) on the Iron Man 3 blu ray extras .The last two One Shots even had mid credit scenes .The bikini scene in Iron 3 blu ray extras between Howard Stark and Dum Dum Dugan(from Cap's Howling Commandos) and the surprise appearance in prison of someone from Iron Man 2 in the end credits of All Hail The King in the saga of Ben Kingsley's jailed Trevor Slattery (Mandarin) included in Thor TDW BR extras.Marvel definitely has their act together .Too bad the five year period for Spider Man didn't go by for Marvel to take control from Sony .It's good with great CGI , but 2 ASM movies in a row without J.Jonah Jameson is just downright blasphemous !

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b8lwz_%E0%B8%8B-%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%84%E0%B8%97%E0%B8%A2-marvel-one-shot-agent-carter_shortfilms

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

@eperot, I'm a fan of Wes Anderson, too. I saw Grand Budapest Hotel today at the AMC Theater at the Rockaway Mall. The early show is a bargain at $7. The visuals and colors in each scene are mesmerizing, the ensemble cast so talented, and the characters and story remarkably quirky. I can't wait to see it again.

Chickadee Chickadee
Apr '14

Captain America was the #1 movie for the 3rd week and will probably be for the 4th due to a weak lineup. Johnny Depp has yet another box office bomb in Transcendence (after the Lone Ranger.) He may be seeing the end of a great movie run.

Godzilla trailers and tv spots are really showing a lot of promise. This still remains in my top 2 movies to see this summer (CA was the other one.)

Zombo - Yes, the twins were SW and QS. They're leads in Godzilla too. They play a husband and wife in Godzilla.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

Captain America 2 deals with issues faced today , privacy (The Patriot Act) , striking the enemy(?) before they do anything , but rather wipe them out under a suspicion of what they MIGHT do - wipe out 22 million in some misguided attempt to save 7 billion ! The 1940s morality of Captain America comes into play when he doesn't want the bad guys of HYDRA to have that capability , nor the good guys of S.H.I.E.L.D. either .

Not a fan of Godzilla , frankly all those Japanese monster movies that were funny as a kid and are just plain silly now . Depp has another Pirates movie coming up and will make money even though they should have stopped after the first , like the next Transformers which will get trashed by critics and make big bucks because of their Ebert titled "junkyard vomit" fight scenes kids crave .R.I.P. Roger Ebert .

Me I won't see much this year - ASM2, GOTG probably depending on reviews , and definitely the Sin City sequel . Just heard about this one (below) which sounds like a scifi Groundhog Day/Source Code which might be worth a look .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmSVcttXnI

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

Gravity was cool for a couple minutes and then it was just boring...

There is only so much you can take of Sandra Bullock grunting and panting in a spacesuit . Although WC Library boasts of a blu ray 3D version that I may check out .

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

zombo , i'm not following your crib notes, what does ASM2 and GOTG stand for? i can't translate them into anything. personally i like sandra bullock out of the space suit better,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

BD... ASM2 = Amazing Spiderman 2; GOTG = Guardians of the Galaxy

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

thanks, i like spiderman, i have never heard of guardians of the galaxy, but generally i like the comic books on the big screen.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Source Code was a very good movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

I'm curious to see if Amazing Spiderman 2 doesn't suffer with 3 villains. Hopefully they get it right.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '14

Well, IMO, they already got the Rhino wrong. I can understand that they wanted to make him more current and "realistic" but having it being a tank-like vehicle is just wrong. At least make it a mechanized suit. A lot of the current Spiderman imagery is taken from Marvel's Ultimates series and IMO, they are not good.

I hope they don't forgo proper character development with all of the new characters. Marvel's Avengers had all of the characters fleshed out in their solo movies. I think Fox and Sony are simply playing catch up now.

Regarding brainless action movies like The Transformers, I think they are enjoyable if you go into accepting them for what they are...brainless action movies. Of course, there needs to be some sort of cohesiveness with the plot but as long as the action is over the top, they're fun "popcorn" flicks. Save the "12 Years a Slave" movies for home viewing.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

iJay-you are so right! Big YAWN!

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

B.J. Novak from The Office is listed as Alistair Smythe so it looks like they just made the Rhino a spider slayer robot . A huge cast , but there is no one listed as Jonah Jameson .Putting his personal mark on the series Webb seems to have written him entirely out of it .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1872181/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

I see all of Kevin Costner's movies, and I'm a football fan, so of course I saw Draft Day and enjoyed it.

My wife's response to all that goes on at NFL Draft Day, "it's a meat market."

aloigu aloigu
Apr '14

Paul Giamatti plays the Rhino. I suspect Smythe is just an Easter egg of some sort. I think the next 2 movies will introduce and then climax with a Sinister Six showdown vs. Spidey. From the first movie and trailers, I can see Electro, Goblin, Dr. Octopus, The Vulture, and possibly The Lizard. I would love to see Mysterio as the sixth member.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

In the old 60s comics Jameson controlled the first slayers ( built by Smythe's father) from a remote console . No reason the son couldn't build a metal Rhino suit for that character who was never too bright to begin with - a barbwire tattoo on the forehead doesn't scream scientific genius anyway . There is a Felicia character listed too so I guess Black Cat is in the future . Always thought that was an obvious Catwoman rip-off .

https://www.google.com/search?q=jonah+jameson+controlling+spider+slayer&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=XvFWU5P6HvHNsQSChoCoDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1152&bih=600#imgdii=_

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

Didn't know that about Jameson. They need to bring back JK Simmons as Jameson. He was perfect. I'm sure I'll be seeing ASM2 opening weekend. It's my daughter's bday weekend and she wants to go see it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

I dunno about JK Simmons... I always see Emil Skoda from Law & Order overacting when I see him in Spider-Man, lol

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

I'd rather go a week or two later at a morning matinee . The IMAX theater was pretty empty at 10 am the following Thursday for Winter Soldier just how I like it . Doubt if Simmons would do that role again as it seems Webb wants a totally different version of things than Raimi . For example Osborn's son as the Goblin is a completely different take . He actually looks like Evil Ed from the original Fright Night . The first time I saw that picture I immediately thought "Oh you're so cool Brewster !"

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/First-Close-Up-Look-Green-Goblin-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-42267.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV4-dHF6Fn0

Zombo Zombo
Apr '14

Did anyone see Heaven Is For Real this past weekend? If so, how was it? I wait until the movies come out on Redbox to see them. :)

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

"the book thief" - really good movie

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '14

Thanks Zombo - I wanted to see this awhile ago, never got to. I wasn't disappointed, very well done.

luvlife
Apr '14

This is a documentary on ESPN2 tonight - We Could Be King

http://www.dsg.com/media/wecouldbekingtrailer?camp=Email:04262014SportsMatterLink:BODY-Trailer&mcid=221197134

BBY, I saw Heaven is for Real. I feel like I'm in the minority, but I thought it was cheesy. (& I am a true believer of eternity, the afterlife, heaven). The person who saw it with me liked it, but I couldn't wait until it ended.
I was disappointed because so many people said it was really good. Also disappointed because I rarely get to go to the movies!
I'd like to see "God is Not Dead".

Trying2Save Trying2Save
Apr '14

Should i assume that the lack of commentary on ASM2 reflects the fact that everyone else was just as underwhelmed with it as I was? Not a "terrible" movie, but it's not elevating itself above the Toby McGuire franchise... and if not, why bother?

The fact that it got beat soundly in Week 2 by an R-rated comedy that was in 1,000 fewer theaters isn't a good sign either.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '14

That's what they get trying to reboot Spiderman so soon after Spiderman 3. Personally, I like these better than the Tobey Maguire series.

Metsman Metsman
May '14

The "original" Spider Man trilogy was a mediocre first film, a fantastic second film and a hunk of crap that splattered itself all over the rest of the trilogy. I thoroughly enjoy the ASM movies much more than the Toby "I'm named after the family dog" McGuire ones.

Then again, expecting Spider Man to put up Avengers/Cap America/X-men numbers isn't going to happen. ASM2 is setting up for Sinister Six. Avengers/Cap/etc are in the midst of stuff hitting the fan crazy. X-Men is bringing one of its most popular comics to the screen. It's not really a contest.

btownguy btownguy
May '14

As if Andrew Garfield is any better? Emma Stone is about the only improvement I can see, cast-wise.

And the story was weak, too. I like Jamie Foxx a lot, but Electro was just plain boring. Some of the fx were very cool, but not nearly enough to carry a very mediocre script. As good as Captain America:TWS was, ASM2 was equally as bad. I doubt I pay to see the next one.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '14

Big news out of the Marvel camp today... they basically outlined their slate of movies for about the next 5 years.

Cap 3: Civil War - Release Date 5/6/2016... Iron Man vs. Captain America... should redefine the word "blockbuster"

Doctor Strange - Release Date 11/4/2016

GOTG2 - Release Date 5/5/2017

Thor: Ragnarok - Release Date 7/28/2017

Black Panther - Release Date 11/3/2017

Captain Marvel - Release Date 7/6/2018

Inhumans - Release Date 11/2/2018

Avengers 3.1 - Release Date 5/4/2018

Avengers 3.2 - Release Date 5/3/2019

ianimal ianimal
Oct '14

Saw Gone Girl on Friday. It was good, not great. It didn't finish strong, IMO. Good buildup, nice twist. Downhill the last third of the movie.

Want to see Fury and John Wick. Both are getting great ratings on imdb.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Oct '14

I definitely loved "Fury". I had a Great-Uncle who was a Tech. Sgt. in a Tank Btn. in WWII. He was in 5 major actions, including D-Day and this kind of brought to life some of the things he must have faced on an almost daily basis. There's a good book out called "Death Traps" that talks about being a "Tanker" in the Sherman Tanks in WWII.

I also enjoyed "The Equalizer" quite a bit.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.