Massive Potholes

Massive Potholes

Any else think potholes that haven't been filled up for over a month should be reported?
These are at an intersection by the movie theater in Mansfield... It was originally 1 nasty one that began I'll say around early January, and has now multiplied into 3 nasty ones.

Michael Michael
Feb '14

Re: Massive Potholes

Included a zoomed in shot, lol. The town seriously needs to patch these up.

Michael Michael
Feb '14

There is no wrong time to call DPW about a pot hole.

Yeah, those are ridiculously bad. I always forget about them when making the turn into Shop-Rite. I'll just go a little further and turn in off 57 until they fix it.

fujisan
Feb '14

Actually it ws filled in about 2 weeks ago!!! The next snow plowing did it in again!!!!

This all transpired in less than 48 hrs (I think).

Yes Michael they almost swallowed my car!!!

I believe that road belongs to the property owner, not the town.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Feb '14

I always see people literally stop and hold up traffic until they have room to avoid the holes. Otherwise there is no other way besides going right through them. I can't imagine the amount of dented rims this is causing. Probably most people don't even check to see if their rim is dented...

Michael Michael
Feb '14

maybe it is the property owners responsibility......does anybody know who that is? post the # and we can all call :)

Hastings Hastings
Feb '14

I tried finding the management - no luck but bet you could call shop-rite ask for the store manager -and I'm sure they can tell you how to find the managers of the complex

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

When I saw the picture, I wasn't sure which corner that was and if it was on Allen Road or inside the shopping center. I'm still thinking the best idea is calling the town because they will be able to track down the property owner if they are not responsible. From the tax records the official owner is "Mansfield Plaza Associates, LLC". It lists an address in New York that could be their lawyer or the rental company. A Google search does not show any phone number, and it actually shows the NJ company registration page with reference to Ridgewood NJ as a location. Tracking down a phone number may be difficult. Like 5catmom said the easiest thing might be to call a business like Shoprite, CVS or Bowtie and get the landlord's number from them. But given the difficulty it might be best to put that job in the town's hands.

Property owner's problem not the towns problem.

Snowloverr Snowloverr
Feb '14

You are right EVV - they were filled in once already. Honestly the potholes are everywhere right now. Grand Ave has a bunch, also.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

Route 80 is horrible w/pot holes. Drove down it this morning and it is very hard to change lanes with out hitting several potholes.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Feb '14

So glad I read this post yesterday. I went to Shop Rite today and before turning at the light into the parking lot off of Allen Road, I looked at the cars bottoming out in the potholes. Quickly recalculated to the entrance off of Rt 57. Thanks

USAfirst USAfirst
Feb '14

FIXED!

Crew wrapped up around 3pm.

redmink1 redmink1
Feb '14

If the pot holes are directly ON Allen Rd or Rt 57, its the towns problem. If in the parking lot, then probably the property owners problem. Why would Rt 57 or Allen Rd be the property owners problem. They don't own the road. Thats like saying the street in front of your house has pot holes and its your responsibility to fix them. Dont think so.

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

Came by the entrance on Allen Rd. before noon today that goes into Shop Rite and that lane was closed off with a crew of men working to get those huge potholes filled. The other lane going out onto Allen was useable but not the one to enter. Good job!

joyful joyful
Feb '14

Yes, it's a jungle out there.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '14

entry Allen Road to Shop-rite mall was fine yesterday afternoon - well patched - at least for now

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Pothole damage on state roads may be eligible for reimbursement through Treasury Department

http://newjersey.news12.com/news/pothole-damage-on-state-roads-may-be-eligible-for-reimbursement-through-treasury-department-1.7139170

jrsemom jrsemom
Feb '14

Good luck with that.

botheredbyuu
Feb '14

the potholes were repaired numerous times, but the only asphalt materials available at the time were not for permanent repairs. Unfortunately the non stop snow and weather made it impossible to keep up with it and keep it even temporarily repaired until some better asphalt was available from the plants. As mentioned it was by far not the only pot hole problem that existed in the entire state- private and public property. I heard there are permanent repairs being made this week.

local resident local resident
May '14

They are fixing the potholes again today. Entrance to movie theatre from Allen Rd is closed.

Lifeistooshort Lifeistooshort
May '14

They need to head over to the road by the Home Depot/Weis exit. There are some monsters over there.

Tracy Tracy
May '14

also down russling road near best's. anyone know which town to call about that?

kepa
May '14

A bunch of new ones out there this year. Entrance to Taco Bell off Rt 57 has 2 potholes. Hard to avoid them, the way they are situated in the road. Be careful.

I have noticed too that Mitchell Rd is horrible since they repaired the road a few months back. Their "patch work" makes the road so uneven and bumpy.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Feb '15

I saw the potholes by the Taco Bell and you are right, very hard to avoid them. A ton of potholes on Route 80 between the lanes. I went to switch lanes and I truly don't know how I didn't blow a tire.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Feb '15

Just came down Schooleys Mt Rd and happy to see they were filling potholes. The only problem is, there is NO warning that there is a guy with a STOP sign in the middle of the road. Coming down, past Flocktown and before Newburgh. Came around the bend and traffic was stopped. The minivan behind me was almost in my backseat.
Come on WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, put a sign up saying that there is road work. Someone is going to get rear-ended. Bad spot for that.

Feb '15

North Prospect St. in Washington Boro is full of potholes.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '15

Yes, Mitchell and Arthur Terrace are very bad. Already planning to go for an alignment once they are all filled in spring.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '15

Botheredbyuu2 that would be Morris County not Washington Township ~ it's a county road.

indy5
Feb '15

Not that many use it, but a part of Valley road in Mansfield is collapsing across the entire width. It's like an inverted speed bump.

Alot of the roads in Diamond Hill are beyond potholes... they are heaving up. 11 years I've lived here, and have never seen anything like it. My patio (pavers) is suffering the same fate- must be the slight thaws followed by massive freezes.... alot of the roads here can no longer be fixed by filling potholes... they need to be repaved.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Feb '15

West Valleyview Ave. is a mess where they dug up a couple of years ago. Its caving in a lot. I am afraid to drive on it thinking its going to sink while I am driving on it.

Christine Christine
Feb '15

Unfortunately "patching" in lower temperatures is only a temporary thing. You can't get the proper compaction and bonding to the current roadway and the patching won't take weight without it crumbling in on itself relatively quickly.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '15

Think it's bad now? Wait until the first real thaw coupled with the first big rain storm. We ain't seen nothing yet!

Thanks indy5.

Whoever maintains it, need to get their act together and stop putting drivers lives in jeopardy. Fill the holes (if you call that fixing, maybe in warmer weather they will do it right) but warn drivers ahead of time.

Feb '15

You're so right. I drive it every day.

indy5
Feb '15

Phil D
you're right it's called cold patching virtually worthless a waste of time and money and its not cheap the first snow blade to hit it and it's gone or after being hit by a few tires it will start to break up it's just a very temporary fix potholes are only going to get worse the closer we get to spring

oldred
Feb '15

Russling is getting fun too.

ladeevee ladeevee
Feb '15

yea the one on W Valley View Ave is awful, never seem anything like it. It's not a pothole it looks like a whole section caved in. it's right on the corner of Vail and its over the sewer so it freaks me out everytime i drive over it.

darwin darwin
Feb '15

The roads they repaved this summer up along east prospect, and the side roads associated are already falling apart. There is frost heaves all over and in many places huge cracks, makes me wonder if the winter was really that bad, or if they did something wrong when they paved these streets

Darrin Darrin
Feb '15

Why do they fill the holes with black gravel and leave it? Every time a car (I did) drives over it, you can hear the gravel kick up under your car. Waste of $.

Feb '15

well pot holes patches do not come premade bbu, the gravel is mixed with tar and that causes it to stick together, they put this mixture in the pothole and tamp it down to get it to stick, this sticky mixtures also sticks to anything else. Sometimes they clean up spilt gravel and sometimes they do not.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '15

Darrin-I watched them do it. Just a shovel full of loose grave, thrown in the hole and they moved on. No tar, no tamping it down, nothing sticking together.

Feb '15

well that is not the right way to do it at all then!

Darrin Darrin
Feb '15

Exactly! Maybe when it gets warmer out, they will do it right. We can only hope.

Feb '15

They're using "cold-patch", not "black gravel". They're also apparently using the "throw and go" installation method where they let traffic compact the material instead of hand tamping.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

Like ianimal said they use cold patch in the winter. Black top needs to be put down at a high temp. which can not be done in the winter. If cold patch is put down RIGHT it should last until the weather warms up.

dadof2
Feb '15

The way to do a better ''cold patch"...is to clean or square the hole. Then heat the edges with a torch till it starts to bubble and smoke; then hot tar ("Steeps") is poured along the edges....the hole is filled with the "Cold Patch" ( chemical added to the small stone mix) and then tamped. Then hot Steeps is poured over the mended seam. Sand is then thrown over the patching to lessen sticking to tires as it is driven over.

I'm surprised a lot of roads in the area, were not sealed with hot tar where there are large cracks. The road crews used to travel through in the early fall inspecting; blowing out the debris with air blasts, and sealing cracks. This year, I have not seen anything as such in the area.

Embryodad Embryodad
Feb '15

How about the mess at the corner of Washington and Grand by the Post Office? They have closed the street down twice for this and attempted to fix it - but it seems to be growing out onto Grand Ave. This doesn't seem very safe, especially given the amount of traffic on this street.

hack93 hack93
Feb '15

Does "cold-patch" look like black gravel? Because what he had on his shovel was exactly black gravel. Cars driving over it, isnt packing it down, because you can hear it kicking up under you car.

Feb '15

Yes, that's what it looks like. Gravel isn't naturally black, unless they're crushing obsidian... and I don't think you would like what crushed obsidian would do to your tires (-;

Cars driving over it does pack it down, but the loose stones on the surface are going to kick up. It's only a very temporary fix to get them through the winter. Hopefully, they will do a more thorough job once the asphalt plants fire back up in the spring.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

I am sure they are doing their best in what has to be one of the tougher years not just given the cold, but the warm days, ice, etc. all making for a busy pot hole season.

Last year, based on input from HL, we caught a huge one on the highway, so tried the state reimbursement letter. Not only popped a tire, but dented the running board too. It was humongous. Six months later a nice letter saying, "working...." Six months later, I phone the number on the letter. Still "waiting." Good thing I did not hold my breadth.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Feb '15

I cannot believe how bad all the new pavement on the side streets going from east prospect to 517 are (4th, 5th, etc), they are totally ruined. East stiger has frost heaves all over it around the gas line they put in a few years ago. It has to be the nature of the weather because I have never seen it this bad.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '15

That's what I figured ianimal. You are so knowledgeable. LOL. Thanks

Feb '15

Nothing for nothing but I don't see roads in other areas this bad. The repairs are awful in our town and not just some of them but all of them. These repairs have been done at different times and during different years. I travel alot for work across the State and do not see this in other areas, some of which are separated by Hackettstown by a 20 minute walk. It may be because of the weather, but the workmanship or materials used were not correct for this kind of weather. At the end of the day, how will this be rectified. Someone will have to pay for it. Inconvenience will be had with road closures and with increased inconvenience comes taking different roads to avoid town which isn't good for any business. It's an issue and it will cost us. I just hope if it is because of a mistake or a decision to utilize materials not suitable then someone is held accountable. For me to reach into my pocket then I expect it to be done right. Right now it is not acceptable and has to be addressed. When and if it is addressed it needs to be addressed correctly the first time. Something government doesnt alway get. If its not addressed we will have an ugly situation.

tired of it all
Feb '15

I bet you all don't know how good you have it. I should post a picture of my street and the street leading to it. You would have an awesome chuckle. It looks like Fallujah after a bombing. My neighbor tells me that it hasn't been re-paved since the 1980s. They attempt cold patch every couple of years. It's very sad. Pretty soon, I'm going to have to buy a Hummer just to get to my house.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '15

"tired of it all"

You haven't seen a good part of Flora, leading through Hopatcong and a number of other roads up here. We have a good number of holes that are impossible to avoid if there is oncoming traffic and they run 4-6" deep, at least what I can observe, that is. At least we don't have any more snowplow-swallowing ones in either town;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '15

I see roads in other areas far worse all the time. Travel Gooddale Road or the entire length of Waterloo Valley Road just once. Split Rock Road, Lake Ave, and do I even have to mention the Pulaski Skyway??? They're all over the state.

Calico - Your street is still better than Gooddale.

I hope the reason the roads are neglected is because the DOT is busy fixing our bridges. My car and I can survive a pothole, not sure we could survive a dip into icy water.

Watrerloo Valley road is a dirt road GC, cannot be compared to a paved road.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '15

Well we can all make ourselves feel better by saying that there are individual roads that are worse. But I still do not see complete towns in the condition of ours. It is our complete road system folks. It is every repair that has been performed. Across the entire town. Sorry I don't see the area wide impact in other municipalities. There are cracks and heaves throughout our entire town. Look along the edges of the roads where the plowed snow meets the pavement. There are literally miles of cracks. If it makes you feel better that other areas have worse roads then go ahead and feel better. If it makes you feel better that there are isolated bad potholes on Rt. 80 then go feel better. We have serious issues throughout the entire town.

tired of it all
Feb '15

"We have serious issues throughout the entire town."

So does every other town that I've been in. Have you seen the condition of local roads in places like Montclair, Nutley and Bloomfield? They're atrocious as well. Infrastructure is crumbling throughout the entire country, not just Hackettstown.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

Hardly the traffic load in H'town that Montclair, Nutley and Bloomfield has. But I digress. I'm OK waiting to see if someone else figures it out. If it is a problem elsewhere then we are fine then. (Sticking head in sand now)

tired of it all
Feb '15

probably 70% of the streets in the area need to be repaved. Along with a high % of bridges and tunnels, ect.

Maybe if we spent less $ fixing the infrastructure in other countries we would have more resources to fix the infrastructure in OUR country...

darwin darwin
Feb '15

"Hardly the traffic load in H'town that Montclair, Nutley and Bloomfield has."

And Hackettstown hardly has the annual capital budget of those other towns, either... more traffic means shorter life spans which means higher frequency of required maintenance.

I'm not saying it isn't a problem in Hackettstown, especially with all the tearing up of the streets from the water main breaks that seemed to occur just about every week there for a while. But you seemed to imply that it *wasn't* a problem elsewhere. It's a problem just about everywhere... that's MY point.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '15

WASHINGTON — President Obama’s proposed budget envisions a nearly half-trillion-dollar transportation construction spree that would seek to upgrade the nation’s roads, bridges and ports by imposing new taxes on overseas earnings by American companies.

The six-year, $478 billion infrastructure plan would provide a 33 percent increase in funding for big, new public works projects. The nation’s transportation trust fund is set to run out of money this summer, but if this program is passed by Congress it will increase funding for transit by 75 percent and finance construction jobs across the country.

“Democrats and Republicans used to agree on this,” Mr. Obama said in his State of the Union address last month. “So let’s set our sights higher than a single oil pipeline. Let’s pass a bipartisan infrastructure plan that could create more than 30 times as many jobs per year, and make this country stronger for decades to come.”

But despite broad, bipartisan agreement on the need to fix thousands of aging and crumbling bridges and rail lines in cities and towns across the country, Mr. Obama’s proposal could face opposition in the Republican-controlled Congress because of the way he proposes to pay for the new construction.

Didn't hear Christie's infrastructure proposals during the budget unveiling. Maybe I missed it?

yankeefan yankeefan
Feb '15

"Maybe if we spent less $ fixing the infrastructure in other countries we would have more resources to fix the infrastructure in OUR country..."

Now THAT I can agree with!!!!!! Our country doesn't have out own pot to pee in, yet we spend billions trying to help other countries.

Darrin Darrin
Feb '15

yankeefan:

Can you please post a link to these articles instead of copying/pasting the text?

They are getting flagged for copyright infringement by Google.

Thanks.

Feb '15

Sorry, will do!

yankeefan yankeefan
Feb '15

All towns have their own problems with roads.

I just came RT 31 to RT 57 and saw 6 dead deer. One was frozen stiff, with legs sticking straight up in the air. Been out there for a while. Terrible! The road depts need to remove them a lot faster then they do.

Feb '15

Mitchell Rd from the Greenview Apts to Arthur Rd, is a mess. Not just potholes, but raised cracks that go across the whole street. I noticed on RT 57, people are dodging the potholes and crossing over into on-coming traffic. NOT safe. Hopefully they will start repairing them as soon as they can. Saw crocus coming up yesterday. Spring is coming! : ) (11 days)

Mar '15

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/03/watch_8_facts_about_the_giant_pothole_problem_facing_new_jersey.html#incart_river

This should solve all the potholes problems! LOL

Mar '15

Thank You Hackettstown DPW!!

http://wrnjradio.com/community-news/2015/hackettstown-dpw-is-on-pothole-patrol/

ooonoo ooonoo
Mar '15

Mitchell Rd!!! THANK YOU H'TOWN DPW!!

Mar '15

What we've been experiencing the last couple years is directly related to the abnormally cold winters. For the first time in my life I have seen two NJ winters where there are frost heaves in the pavement everywhere. It's like Vermont is normally. In Vermont they will pave a road freshly and by the spring you'd never know it was only paved the previous summer. If weather patterns stay like this we can expect every winter to have some nasty roads. I hit a massive pothole on Grand Ave. that I couldn't see because it was filled with water...I'm sure I need an alignment now.

eperot eperot
Mar '15

For your own safety, everyone please remember that it is not safe to drive with a tire that has a bubble in the sidewall. That bubble is a sign of a broken tire belt, that means it could explode the tire, especially at high speeds. Unfortunately it cannot be repaired and will need to be replaced with a new tire.

James James
Mar '15

Been meaning to post this last couple of days. Lawrence Rd and Mitchell Rd are still a mess. Not just potholes, but the patch job they did is terrible. Really, really bad!!!
Hope they plan on paving these roads soon. Worse I have seen around town.
Out of town, Beacon Hill Rd off RT 513 in Long Valley is really bad.

Apr '15

I'm wondering if Liberty Twp has run out of cold patch for their many potholes. For about 3 to 4 weeks now there have been many of the same unfilled potholes on Pequest Rd/Janes Chapel Rd (The backroad to get to the Pequest Fish Hatchery behind Villa Venice).

Vic - I'am heading that way this morning. Now I will go the other way. Hate the potholes. Thanks.

Apr '15

I think we can expect this very subject to come up when they ram the gas tax hike on us in June- could be part of a strategy on the State roads, let them continue to fall apart, don't fix potholes- then say, "we are broke- we need to raise the gas tax"

Of course, on the local level, they don't have that fall back, but can use that as a reason to raise taxes.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Apr '15

I'm glad to see that the horrendous, potholed stretch of Rt. 31 in Oxford is finally getting paved.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '15

Anyone want a VW Jetta silver wheel rim with a 1 inch dent that cannot hold a tire any more? A pothole on Route 10 in Chester did it in.

dannyc
Apr '15

"I'm wondering if Liberty Twp has run out of cold patch for their many potholes. For about 3 to 4 weeks now there have been many of the same unfilled potholes on Pequest Rd/Janes Chapel Rd (The backroad to get to the Pequest Fish Hatchery behind Villa Venice)."

Finally finally finally!!! Liberty Twp's portion of Pequest Rd/Janes Chapel Rd (Behind Villa Venice to the Mansfield Twp line near the Pequest Fish Hatchery) has been repaved!!! Repaving began this past Monday and wrapped up yesterday. So nice to finally ride on fresh smooth blacktop without having to dodge all the potholes.

Route 10 in Chester? Guess our new gas tax extended Route 10 a few miles further west.

John C John C
Jun '17

LOL. Well, it's Infrastructure Week!

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.