NFL 2014 Offseason

Next season's projected salary cap figures have been released.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/2014-nfl-projected-team-team-salary-cap-space?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Dallas is in the worst shape by far, with over $24M to trim from their salary. Their deficit is almost exactly equal to the next two worst teams combined: New Orleans @ $13.7M and Pittsburgh at $10.5M.

I figure the Steelers will cut LaMarr Woodley and his $13.6M cap hit and restructure a few contracts in order to clear up the deficit and a little extra space as well. He's a good LB, but isn't worth anywhere near that number.

ianimal ianimal
Feb '14

Jay Leno said everybody was happy and hugging each other in Seattle ... the things they've been doing since marijuana got legalized there, anyway.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '14

Ah, the joy of having a snake-oil salesman and his son manage the salary cap. They'll get under that without any issues by restructuring a bunch of contracts, cutting Miles Austin, and either cutting Ware or getting him to take a pay cut.

As great as Ware has been, his cap number is gigantic and he's been a shell of himself the past two seasons (due to injury.) I don't see him becoming dominant again. Dallas needs to get in better cap shape by letting go of the high priced vets and replacing them in the draft. It's not like the vets (Ware/Austin) are racking up the stats on the way to an 11-5 record.

emaxxman emaxxman
Feb '14

Too bad Ray Rice can't hit the hole as hard as he can hit his girlfriend... he might have averaged more than 3.1 yards per carry last season.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1616693

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Feb '14

Another guy who needs marriage and anger management counseling.

I know it is baseball, and I think it was Dick Young or Mike Lupica who wrote it ... when Darryl Strawberry got into a fight with Keith Hernandez when someone was taking a team picture ... "It's the first time Strawberry ever hit the cutoff man."

Good line. Darryl has been on the radio a lot lately ... he's trying to help people stay away from the problems he used to get into. A noble cause, wish him the best, and there comes a time to let bygones be bygones.

No excuse for Ray Rice though ... a good way to try to live is to live such a good life that when someone speaks badly of you, nobody will believe it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '14

Re: NFL 2014 Offseason

LOL!

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Feb '14

Think they'll be drafting a running back?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Feb '14

I really can't believe there's a possible rift in the 49ers org between coach/GM and coach/players. Do they not remember the abysmal seasons before Harbaugh got there?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/02/report-jim-harbaughs-act-has-worn-thin-in-the-49ers-locker-room/

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Seems like there's a common link who can't seem to get along with anyone, no?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

It's media hype with Harbaugh and the 49ers. They don't like him, and especially Ann Killion who wrote the story that Pro Football Talk is referencing.

49ers are moving into a new stadium with a loaded team; I would be shocked if he doesn't have a new contract by mid season.

golfer07840 golfer07840
Mar '14

If it works, don't fix it. They were so close to winning the whole show the last two seasons.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '14

He's got the same personality as a Bobby Valentine. It works for awhile but it gets old and people get tired of putting up with it eventually.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

Has had far more success than Valentine ever did however.

A good NFL coach doesn't grow on trees. 49ers need to take care of him.

He'd be unemployed for 30 seconds if they let him walk.

golfer07840 golfer07840
Mar '14

Far more success may be pushing it; Valentine made it to the WS, Harbaugh has yet to make it to the SB. But success as a function of time [s(t) for you math nerds], I would definitely give the edge to Harbaugh.

And maybe Bobby V wasn't the best example... There are tons of extreme Type A personalities in coaching history, that have had more success but the same conflicts: Billy Martin, Mike Ditka, Bill Parcells, Mike Keenan, John Tortorella and Bobby Knight to name a few off the top of my head. They are great at what they do, so they get a pass for a lot of social transgressions... but eventually they become more trouble than they're worth.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

Harbaugh took them to the SB vs the Ravens. He's also taken the team to the conference championship each year he was the coach.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Yes, it was the Har-Bowl.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Mar '14

Duh... yes, he did. My apologies... Must be sleep deprivation, lol

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

Loved the Har-bowl.

Billy Martin got hired and fired five times ... there's your guy who lit a fire and then had to make way for a more "pleasant" type of guy.

However, Earl Weaver stuck with the O's 15 years, won a few times and finished second a lot more. What the late Paul Blair told me on one occasion I had to chat was that Weaver would scream and rant and all that, but he didn't take it to the media and he held no grudges ... he'd put you back in the lineup the next day because he knew he needed you in order to win.

When I asked him what kind of issue Weaver ever could have had with Paul Blair, he said, "I often bunted, when he didn't want to bunt. I did it not out of disrespect, just because we needed it to win the game. I think he understood that I want to win as much as he does."

One of my all-time favorite interviews, and I was only 24. Thank you Paul ... the O's should have made you their manager, never did understand why they didn't.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '14

Speaking of the Rangers (on a football thread) I like the new guy.

It was rough starting out with that dreadful road trip and it was a slow go, but I like the way they are playing now and am as hopeful about the playoffs as I've ever been since the 90s.

OK, back to football.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '14

Some old Baltimore-guy perspective, a story about Shula and Unitas that I read about in a book.

Shula wanted to kick a field goal, but Unitas waved off the field goal unit, ran a play, and got a first down. Shula immediately sends Earl Morrall in to replace him.

Unitas says, "I got a first down, didn't I?" and Shula says, "You know I respect your experience and track record and I let you call the plays, but when I say kick, we kick."

End of discussion.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '14

Dog Killer to the Jets, Dirty Sanchez to the Eagles, DeSean Jackson released.

Well, two out of three ain't bad. I'm glad to see the Dog Killer gone. Sanchez should be fine as long as he stays the back-up. There are a lot of worse back-ups rattling around out there. I can't believe that the Eagles just released Jackson. Gotta get something for a player of his caliber. I can't help but think that there is more tho this than meets the eye. Why didn't anyone want to trade for him? I've heard rumors of "gang related" activity. I'm sure more info will be forthcoming.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '14

I bet he goes to the Jets.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

The Eagles and the Jets are two different teams? Maybe if they merged, they'd be competitive. Lol, just kidding.

I like that the Steelers picked up Lance Moore; would love to hear that they signed Blount too. He can wear number 47.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

I wouldn't be surprised if he "landed" with the Jets either. Well, at least there are a bunch of pretty talented WRs coming out in this year's draft. And the Eagles have even more of something they love dearly now........cap space.

Picking up Sproles was a good move the Eagles. I hope it works out.

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '14

Ray Rice indicted on aggravated assault. His fiancée will likely refuse to testify. Is the elevator video evidence enough to convict?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

I don't know if the gang rumors will have any impact, given the recent history, but I could definitely see the Pats picking up Jackson if the price was right.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

Statement from DeSean Jackson.

http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/2014/03/28/statement-from-desean-jackson

Calico696 Calico696
Mar '14

Ah, the NFL in the news for bad behavior again.

If there is one thing I remember from all the advice I got from adults while growing up, a thing you should never, ever do, would be to hit a woman.

Even if Ray Rice's fiancé decides she wants to "work things out" and forgive and forget, yada, yada, yada, it still is a criminal investigation now. That elevator video evidence is not going away.

If Ray Rice never plays a down for the Ravens again, it would be too soon.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Mar '14

ian - Looks like you got your wish with Blount. Steelers added him to the "La"-RB group.

emaxxman emaxxman
Mar '14

Hahaha!!! Funny article re: Desean Jackson.

http://www.sportspickle.com/2014/04/crips-release-desean-jackson-concern-affiliation-washington-redskins-organization

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Hopefully I'm not going down the primrose path over the Ravens getting Steve Smith.

He's a great guy, somebody any dad would be proud to have as his son, but can he still play football at the top level and for how long?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

That is funny Calico.

Old Gent Old Gent
Apr '14

Ha ha hee hee ho ho ho.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

Petition to keep Vick of the SUNY Cortland practice field.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/04/08/on-line-petition-started-to-keep-jets-michael-vick-from-training-camp-site/

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

I just read this not sure if anyone saw it.

http://www.thenewsnerd.com/sports/michael-vick-attacked-by-pitbull/

Christine Christine
Apr '14

Christine - It's not true. It's one of those mock website articles like The Onion. Can't say that I don't wish it were true though. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Speaking of Vick... an update on some of the dogs rescued from his operation:

http://www.eonline.com/news/532352/these-dogs-who-were-rescued-from-michael-vick-s-fighting-ring-will-make-you-believe-in-happy-endings?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

WOW I even checked snopes to make sure and there was nothing on there. I agree with you Calico!

Christine Christine
Apr '14

Saw the movie Draft Day.

Watch out for the Browns next year.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

Chris Johnson to the Jets. Anyone think it'll matter?

The Browns? I'd almost like to see them do well... but I doubt it. Is Brian Hoyer a franchise QB? I like him, but he got injured on a relatively innocuous play... I have to question his durability. Do they get a franchise QB in the draft this year? I doubt that too. The Browns are just a doomed franchise; I give the Mets better odds next year (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

In the movie, they set themselves up to be a dynasty.

That's Hollywood, for ya.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

Will Hill fails yet another drug test... could be facing a full year suspension.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=10821209&city=newyork&src=desktop

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

NFL schedule released last night. No AFC teams will be playing on Thanksgiving; the CBS matchup will pit the Bears against the Lions.

Curiously, a couple of weeks ago, a member of the Buffalo Bills PR department accidentally let it slip that the Bills would be playing on Thanksgiving. Now, the Bills still play at Detroit this season, but in Week 5.

King Roger must have been very upset that someone stole the league's thunder and leaked any part of that schedule to the public at large. Everyone knows that the world was waiting with bated breath and tuned into the NFL Network at 8pm last night when King Roger condescended to grant them this tightly guarded information.

So now, out of spite, they're left with a situation where the historically AFC network is stuck showing an all-NFC game. Not that I necessarily care... the Bears-Lions matchup is actually better; I just don't care for God-dell and his vindictiveness. The guy is a plague on the sport.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Apr '14

Eagles @ Cowboys Thanksgiving afternoon. Sweet!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Ravens play Cincy and Pittsburgh on Sept. 7 and 11, four days apart.

Good thing those games are home ... it would be a killer if they were away.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

Ex-NFL QB Earl Morrall dies at the age of 79. He played for both the Steelers and the Colts (among others) and quarterbacked the '72 Dolphins to 9 of their 17 wins in the only perfect season in the Super Bowl era.

Of course, he also was the losing QB in Super Bowl III, when Namath and the Jets shocked the world; he also replaced Johnny U in SB V and they won the game on Jim O'Brien's FG as time expired.

http://news.yahoo.com/former-nfl-quarterback-earl-morrall-dies-79-175325146--spt.html

ianimal ianimal
Apr '14

A sad day for this old Colts fan. Unitas went down with a bad arm injury in the last pre-season game of 68 and Morrall stepped in and had a fantastic season ....was the league MVP!

He won playoff games against Minnesota and Cleveland (when the Browns were GOOD) and then came that Jets game (pause to regain my composure...I'm getting verklempt, talk among yourselves) ... poor Earl will always be remembered for that flea-flicker play when Jimmy Orr was WIDE OPEN, but didn't see him ... he threw instead for Jerry Hill and got picked. That play lives in infamy in Baltimore.

Glad he got to be an important part of two Super Bowl winners after that one.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

For those of you who were not on this earth to see it (that's probably most of you) here's a well done recap of Super Bowl III, complete with interviews. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIxIRkiThak

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

The NFL cheerleaders are not going to take it anymore. People should not be judged by the shape of their skin ... yeah! They are exploited and underpaid.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/04/24/it-s-buffalo-jills-vs-buffalo-bills-in-ex-cheerleaders-new-lawsuit.html

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Apr '14

The NFL draft begins tonight . Seems like just about every team wants Johnny Football LMAO ! Bad enough idiot owner/GM of the Cowboys is expressing interest (I'd rather draft Teddy Bridgewater if available at 16) , now the Eagles are rumored to be after Manziel . Houston is sitting pretty since they can get Clowney to go along with J.J. Watt to cause havoc for QBs on the line and probably still nab a decent QB in round two .I used to like it better in the old days when it started Saturday at noon , until they got ratings happy and made the first two nights solely about round one and two .

Zombo Zombo
May '14

I don't know about every team wanting him... but he would seem to be a good fit in Philly with Chip Kelly's offense. At least until he lies on the turf at the Linc, his body beaten and broken. The over-under for that happening is 8 weeks, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '14

Houston has already won in a way by firing "Mr. Softee" Wade Phillips !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WofdmiWDBOA

Zombo Zombo
May '14

The only way Dallas could draft a QB in the 1st is if they find a trade partner for Romo. They owe Romo a ton of money this year (and the next 3) so they can't cut him. Jerry has shot down all rumors of taking a QB. Of course, this is the NFL and all quotes should be taken with a grain of salt (but until now, no one has a quote from Jerry stating his interest in Manziel.)

Defense is the biggest problem; they could have had the second coming of Montana behind center and they still would've lost 8 games.

I suspect Houston is doing everything they can to trade down.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

Unless Houston is up against the salary cap why would they trade down ? They have a chance to add some real difference makers to the worst team in the NFL and they should take it and run with it unless presented with an overwhelming package of picks . I suppose Jerry might trade them Romo LOL ! He should have traded him a year ago before the injury . Got to rebuild sometime , unless his goal is 8-8 and a full stadium every single year .

Zombo Zombo
May '14

NO JOHNNY FOOTBALL!!!!!

Sorry for yelling.

Calico696 Calico696
May '14

WHEW!!!!

A solid pick for Dallas.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

Manziel to the Browns. That poor bastard.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
May '14

Better than JAX ianimal.

Calico696 Calico696
May '14

Ya think?

ianimal ianimal
May '14

Yes. At least Cleveland has fans.

Calico696 Calico696
May '14

Is that good or bad? There are either less people cheering for you or less people booing at you. If they're gonna boo, you might be better off without them (-;

ianimal ianimal
May '14

This certainly isn't good news for Johnny Clowntown...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10908822/josh-gordon-cleveland-browns-faces-season-long-suspension

ianimal ianimal
May '14

In today world, it's only weed. Maybe he had a sore finger.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '14

Cowboys middle linebacker Sean Lee out for the 2014 season already with a torn ACL . Occurred during a supposed non-contact drill when he was run over by number one pick Zack Martin .Good thing idiot Jerry Jones just signed the brittle Lee to a huge contract extension !

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000353704/article/sean-lee-tears-left-acl-at-dallas-cowboys-otas

Zombo Zombo
May '14

Probably won't matter much. The Cowgirls have been without Lee for quite a bit the last few seasons. The entire NFC East is in a pretty sorry state.

Calico696 Calico696
May '14

The 1st round pick didn't run him over. Look at the video. Lee's knee buckled and he was on his way down before contact was even made.

Regarding the contract, it's a very smart contract. His base salary is only 750K this year. Only 16M out of the 42M is guaranteed (the rest of it is incentives based on playing at least 80% of the games.) So, unless he finds a way to heal up and play this year, he doesn't get squat.

Now, I do agree that Lee seems to be brittle. It's a shame since he's athletically a stud when healthy and easily the smartest guy on the defense. They drafted Hitchens to be the backup. Time for the rookie to man up.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '14

Washington Redskins drop Washington from team name, too embarrassing

eapos eapos
Jun '14

I doubt that Dan Snyder would agree to any name change without a long, expensive, drawn out court battle that goes on for months and months.

That's what millionaire owners do. He got to where he is by always getting his way, and he ain't stopping now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jun '14

Andy that was supposed to be a joke, didn,t mean to get you upset this early in the day, maybe you better re read my post, Washington being the key word

eapos eapos
Jun '14

The Washington Redskins finally bowed to pressure. They dropped Washington from their name because it was to embarrassing.

ignatz ignatz
Jul '14

Gee wish I had said that

eapos eapos
Jul '14

I get the joke.

Being an old timer, I remember when the Baltimore Bullets (NBA) moved to Landover, Md., and didn't want to alienate the Baltimore fan base, while trying to build more support from the DC area, so they called the team the Capitol Bullets for awhile.

Now, they are the Washington Wizards, the owner deciding to drop the Bullets name because it reminded people of street crime. Heck, I never took it that way.

I'm sure the Washington football ownership kept Baltimore from getting an NFL expansion team, when that's what the Baltimore people were seeking, because they kept arguing the DC/Baltimore area could not support two teams ... this was while Washington had a long waiting list for tickets.

Thus, the Jacksonville Jaguars were born.

Long story short, I'm not very sympathetic to Dan Snyder

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

Oddly enough, I miss the old Baltimore Stallions CFL team, that filled the void for a couple of years. They drew 30,000 per game to old horseshoe shaped Memorial Stadium and they were the only franchise in the United States to win a CFL championship.

The CFL season runs from July to November, so we had some meaningful July football going on .. Saturday nights in Baltimore ... too hot during the day.

The NFL made a big stink because the CFL wanted to call the team the Baltimore Colts, Commish Tagliabooboo claimed the NFL owned the Colts name (who would have confused the Baltimore Colts, in a different league, with the Indy Colts?) and they were really anal, went to court to force Baltimore to get a different name.

A radio station took advantage, started calling itself Colt 104 and ran promos daring Tagliabue to try to make them stop using the name. Funny stuff in those days.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

So Tony Dungy thinks a gay football player would be too much of a media distraction but a convicted racketeer/dog murderer (Vick) wouldn't be (and deserved a second chance in the NFL?) I think he may have a legitimate concussion syndrome claim.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

Tony Dungy is a fundie who is openly opposed to gay marriage. Dog killers can be forgiven; gays need to repent before they can be forgiven.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Says having a gay player on HIS team would be a "distraction," but he wishes him well playing for somebody else, says he deserves to play in the NFL ... that's gobbledygook.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

So.... let's break down the apparent moral code of the NFL and its Fuhrer, Roger God-dell...

Smoke a joint, get suspended for a year...

But, if you physically abuse your girlfriend by knocking her out in an elevator with a punch to the face, drag her out of the elevator and drop her face first in the hallway and then kick her legs out of the way of the elevator doors, that will earn you a two game suspension.

Good looking out, Goodell... way to teach those young, impressionable athletes in college, high school and grade school what's really important.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

Yeah, it doesn't seem right at all. This wasn't a simply disturbing the peace-type of domestic dispute. He pulled a Mike Tyson on her.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

A DB gets suspended more games if he KO's a receiver going across the middle. All the DB is doing is playing FOOTBALL and caught up in the emotion of the game. Terrelle Pryor was suspended 5 games by Goodell for trading HIS OWN MEMORABILIA for tattoos while at Ohio St.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '14

Something happened in the elevator, but how do we know Rice knocked her out?

There was some domestic issues but they both entered a pre trial.

Alot of assumptions being made

citizen
Jul '14

Something happened in the elevator, but how do we know Rice knocked her out?
There was some domestic issues but they both entered a pre trial.
Alot of assumptions being made
citizen

Then explain how she got KO'd? Why did he drag her out? He also showed no urgency in getting her help, if in fact he didn't KO her, and she "accidentally" hit her head.

We saw Jay-Z being attacked in an elevator by his Sister in-law. We also saw that he NEVER LIFTED A HAND toward her. Rice took the Punk route

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Jul '14

Ray's getting a mere slap on the wrist here.

Things like this make me wonder why I even care about the NFL anymore.

I know it was almost 50 years ago, but a guy got kicked off our high school basketball team for the whole season, for smoking cigarettes.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

We all know she fell into his fist.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '14

Perhaps his wife was drunk and not hit

citizen
Jul '14

The whole issue is that the NFL is not punishing domestic violence as strongly as marijuana use.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

Ian,
isn't it time for the pick'em....?

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

Let us look at two more pre-season games, so we'll have some idea of what we have.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

We still have plenty of time BEG... but no time like the present. So, without further ado...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Thank you...

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

All in to win!

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

On Sunday at my fantasy football draft, I handcuffed LeGarrette Blount and LeVeon Bell... looks like I beat the cops by three days, lol.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-bell-blount-set-face-235535922--nfl.html

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Went to the Linc with some Eagles fans ... so I felt safe and sound ...
there was concern about whether LeSean McCoy's toe injury would slow him down ... not to worry, he looked like he's going to have a 2,000-yard season.

The birds are looking like a well oiled machine with Chip Kelly's system going into its second year.

All three quarterbacks, Foles, Sanchez and Barkley, seemed very comfortable with it.

Just one game, so I'm not going to knock the Steelers... they always find a way to get into the mix every year, but Tomlin's got some work to do. Glad the coaches didn't use all their time outs, the way Andy Reid used to do in pre-season games ... and the refs are calling too many penalties... too many flags .... makes for a long night.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Just another example of how local customs and phrases are misinterpreted by clueless and paranoid people.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/08/slap_ya_mama_hot_sauce_says_nf.html

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Just more PC police action to control what come out of your mouth. Every one is so offended. It's a tough game. You cant control what comes out of your mouth when you get hit by some one. Oh! I forgot, it used to be that way. Now you have to figure out where to hit him also.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Well, the helmet to helmet hits, where the defender leads with his helmet, flies in like a missile and spears the guy, they've got to go. That's enforceable.

Yeah, like the hit on Torrey Smith of the Ravens last week.

45-50 years ago we were told you have to see what you're tackling, tackle with your head up, lead with the shoulder and wrap up. Never got a concussion that way.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

The Ravens have dished out far more of those hits over the years than they've endured, that's for sure. But I do agree with you... it's the other hits, where the defender comes in like he should but the receiver lowers his head, initiating the helmet to helmet contact... they have to stop penalizing the defensive guy for that.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

I read you loud and clear.

True, the Ravens have never been nominated for any sportsmanship awards.

The NFL is a dangerous game these days, and it hasn't hurt the TV ratings any.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

I talking more about the PC police like,no celebrating after a touch down or taunting an opponent My goodness you just knocked your brains out to get a touchdown and you get a penalty. Your hot and sweated up and god forbid you don't put a cap on.. It's like the no looser theory. Your playing a tough game and some one is going to lose. Come on men, grow up.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Celebrations are cool but taunting is a no-no.

There is a difference.

I would have done the dunking over the goal post cross bar thing, but I never scored any touchdowns. Never could do a decent backflip either, even when I was in the best shape of my life.

Nicest thing an opponent ever said to me after a game ... "I hit you with everything I had, and you didn't even grunt."

But when I took the pads and jersey off, there were lots of black and blue marks.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

I always like this guy Now I know why.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

He went ahead and beat Notre Dame, anyway. LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

We are getting very close to launching the 2014 NFL Thread!!!!! :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Well, that's because Notre Dame was handcuffed by being required to only admit people into college who could actually read... Bob-bay didn't care about that.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

They knew how to read the play book. Thats all that's needed.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

Notre Dame needs to join the Patriot League ...not a knock, just a fact.

A league that emphasizes the word student, in student athlete.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Things are about to change so bring on the Fighting Irish
Patriot League football was non-scholarship until the league presidents voted to approve football scholarships starting with the 2013 recruiting class. Each school will be allowed no more than the equivalent of 15 scholarships to incoming football players. Once the transition to scholarship football is complete in the 2016 season, the total number of scholarship equivalents cannot exceed 60 in any season, three short of the NCAA FCS maximum. However, Georgetown does not offer scholarships.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

As I noted on another thread, 40 years ago Rutgers was playing several of those schools that now are in the Patriot League.

Tonight, the players wearing Jets uniforms looked like they would struggle mightily in the Patriot League. LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Why, when my Giants are 5 & 0 do I not have more faith? I guess we have the best second team.

Old Gent Old Gent
Aug '14

They should kick the season off with Dallas' D vs. Giants O. It would be a game of ineptitude. I think both teams are set for a sub 6-10 season. Washington may or may not be better than that. Bob has looked terrible.

Sadly, I think Philthy will win the division again.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '14

If Philly doesn't win the division it would be quite scary as 7-9 will probably be good enough to do so. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Well, Dallas always goes 8-8, so the Eagles will need to top that, and most likely will.

So, the pre-season is now officially over. On to the next thread.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.