Adios A&P

The news today is that A&P will be closing stores in Mt. Olive and Belvidere NJ. The company has had some financial problems. The current recession has only made this more difficult.

ssob
Jan '14

Please provide your source. As an employee, haven't heard anything like this.

nancy nancy
Jan '14

Ohhhh.....Maybe they'll put in a Wegmans or Trader Joes!

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jan '14

Stop and Shop has been looking for locations in the area. They tried to move into the closed Flanders A&P.

ssob
Jan '14

well stop and shop is no bargain - but Trader Joes or a Corrados would be lovely

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Good riddance

Philliesman Philliesman
Jan '14

Please provide source, I live near Belvidere and shop there and non of the locals have said anything.

younggen younggen
Jan '14

I would be happily surprised if Wegman's or Trader Joe's came here. But this is more of a Where is the dented can section ?

jerseycash5
Jan '14

I go to Mt Olive on occasion only because its close to Drakestown, but its expensive and has been going down hill for several years. There are about 3 employees there, and a young man in the pharmacy, who seem to care - the rest are horrible. I even sent a letter to their home office once - no response. I'll just make the drive to Flanders ShopRite.

Texaskeystone Texaskeystone
Jan '14

This area doesn't have the population density to support a new Wegmans or Trader Joe's.

Shoprite Fan
Jan '14

I feel bad for the people who live so close to the A&P in Belvidere. Hope something goes in to replace the store.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Jan '14

No shocker- Belvidere AP is a dirty- poor selection high priced store of last resort- they have only remained open due to lack of other stores in the area.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '14

Is this going to be round #2 of the exact same thread:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/239105

That prior thread didn't end so well. Sames stores, no closures, a bunch of Shorite employees back then. How many now?

nothing besides this has been posted online, but i wouldn't be surprised. a&p stores have been closing everywhere for the past 20 years, especially in the last 3/4. they were once a national chain! now, most are closed. there are many reasons for their lack of success in some places was clear: lack of selection (didn't have as much as shoprite or others), high prices, old stores in need of renovation, and walmart. walmart supercenters selling groceries turned out to be cheaper, and had a larger selection.

one of the problems with northwest nj is that a&p is/was by far the main supermarket chain, and many communities have no other choices nearby, giving a&p some revenue. currently, northwest nj (north/west of 78 and 287) has 13 a&p supermarket locations. the used to be more. many of these towns still, despite so many new stores, have no other supermarket nearby. if a&p closed in these communities, people would be driving far for groceries, or using delivery. for example, in blairstown, the closest supermarkets besides a&p are in monroe county pa and in newton. in vernon, if a&p closed, people would cross into orange county ny to do their shopping. in califon, people would have to drive to clinton or mansfield.

whether or not they are closing now, early rip to a&p.

hluser
Jan '14

and a wegmans or trader joes would never work in an old a&p in north west nj. all new locations for those chains are in wealthy communities, which a&p's usually are not in.

hluser
Jan '14

This is more Piggly Wiggly territory!
Could you imagine?

"Come an git yer fresh fried ocra, an hominy grits!" .....and on opening day, there be "Larry The Cable Guy" passin out pork belly sandwiches, and pickled pigs feet on crackers! .....git er done!

embryodad embryodad
Jan '14

this is false information. please just delete it.

Proof: https://www.google.com/search?q=A%26P&oq=A%26P&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i61j0l3.3188j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=122&espv=210&q=A%26P+belvidere&safe=off&tbm=nws

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Jan '14

Sorry for the workers but I must say some of the women working at the store in Mt Olive are not nice. Only shopped there a few times and every time got attitudes. Wont miss it

botheredbyuu
Jan '14

They did close the A&P in Morristown and are putting in a Whole Foods. That's definitely an upgrade.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

you think shoprite in mansfield is crowded now....if the a&p store closes in Mt.Olive, just wait and see how crowded it will get. Hopefully the Weiss supermarket will take up most of the overflow.

bdom
Jan '14

ssob - what is your source?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jan '14

Maybe that would force shoprite to rebuild, as it is pretty dated

I don't shop at A&P, and I hope the closing rumors are unfounded for the employees and those who shop A&P. To those who long for a TJ's or Wegmans in our area, please send emails, snail mail or call and let them know that folks in this area have keen interest in their brand and "they will come, and they will shop."

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jan '14

I believe it,they will not renew the heathcare with the union and have trouble making payroll.You can only scoop water so long out of a empty barrel.

tiger
Jan '14

healthcare..sorry

tiger
Jan '14

I can't stand the layout and crowdedness at Shoprite. I prefer Weiss only because it's not so crazy. A&P is overpriced but is very convenient for me since it is the only grocery store on the way home.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jan '14

Mrs.Pipes, as stated previously, HTown doesn't have the population to support a TJ's or Wegman's. And because of where HTown is located, 20 min from the nearest major highways, it's not even convenient for people who live elsewhere and would stop in on their way home from work.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

I can swear I heard of a TJ's coming to Randolph. I'm using my last box of Indian food from there so I may just have to make a trip soon;)
Darn- just checked and its not on the Coming Soon list.
I know my sister is happy that they opened one in Naples Fl.- where she finally decide to buy a home:)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '14

There's one in Florham Park... that's only 15 miles down Route 10 from Randolph. Sure it'll take you three hours to go that 15 miles, but we're talking about Trader Joes (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jan '14

I was finally at a Trader Joes last August in South Pasadena CA. It was an awesome store. I will have to check out the one in Florham Park.

Jan '14

TJ's is great. Two words: cookie butter.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

there's a Trader Joes in Wayne as well - around the corner from Corrados - it's only - hmm close to an hour?

5catmom 5catmom
Jan '14

Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck

Willy
Jan '14

Please say where you heard this-we rely on A&P and haven't heard anything. Please make sure of what you are saying. I had a mini heart attack when I first saw this article.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Jan '14

But Westfield has wine;) Shortly after we moved from Maplewood, they opened one in Millburn.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '14

Maybe there is hope. I just saw a FB post about Wegmans putting a store in Blairstown. No way that's true. I looked and it wasn't on their website.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

wegmans in blairstown!!?? that cannot be right. the only rural wegmans locations are the original stores in upstate new york. all new wegmans stores are in areas within a few minutes of a major highway, and are in areas with other fancy stores. for example: woodbridge, columbia md, frederick md, lower nazareth township pa, hanover township pa, etc..

what is true is that wegmans is opening in hanover township, new jersey off of route 10 near the marriott. this is 2 minutes from 287.

hluser
Jan '14

I have never shopped at a Wegmans or Trader Joe's. So I'm curious......why do folks want one so badly in their neighborhood? Do they have better prices and/or more of a selection than the supermarkets currently in our area? This is a serious question. I'm just trying to understand as not just on here but friends of friends I know speak highly of these two companies. They must be doing something right!

Shoprite Fan
Jan '14

Yep, I don't believe it either. And it did have a proposed location. I read it again. It's fake.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

Trader Joe's has a lot of good organic stuff, and their prices are very good. Mostly for staples like pasta, rice, tomato sauce, salad dressing, olive oil cereal, canned items, etc. For example, a jar of roasted red peppers is about $2, balsamic salad dressing about $2 as well. They also have a lot of quirky, niche type things like the cookie butter I mentioned. I find we buy the same 10 things or so at TJ's. It's not your everyday grocery store because they don't have everything.

Wegmans is just a very nice store with great produce and meat, a market café, and superior seafood. It's just a much nicer place to shop than the typical SR. The prices aren't better, probably worse in many cases, but it's such a nice shopping experience that it's worth it. The shelves and isles aren't cluttered like SR and S&S. It's hard to explain if you haven't been there. They also have a great liquor store, which does actually have great prices. The new Shoprite in East Hanover has definitely upped SR's game though. That's a very nice store, but it still has some of the clutter. That store is definitely a direct response to Wegmans.

I also think a big draw to these stores is also that their in-house brands have more appeal than stop and shop's or SR's. They are just better in most cases IMO.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

Thanks Meister for the explanation! I did not realize SR had a new store in East Hanover. I will check it out when passing through that area. The way you describe both stores (Wegmans/TJ) it would sound like a great addition to a local community.

Unfortunately the population density and family income $$$$ numbers in this area of Warren County just aren't there for these companies. Therefore Shoprite continues to fit that local niche and remains king which honestly is a bit of a disappointment. It would be nice to get some strong competition into NJ to go up against SR and bring down the climbing prices some.

Shoprite Fan
Jan '14

Shop rite has cookie butter near the peanut butter.

Red Wing
Jan '14

what is cookie butter?

asking
Jan '14

I'm a Shop Rite shopper locally, however I do shop at Wegmans in PA fairly often. I find a lot of their prices to be inline with Shop Rite, their produce section is wonderful and I usually get chicken, pork tenderloins and when on sale 90%lean beef at a very good price. The main thing in Wegmans is to stay away from their prepared foods since that will boost your bill by a bit, trust me, I know, LOL. Wegmans is not KIngs which I find to be high priced on everything. I agree with MeisterNJ, Trader Joes is a nice place to shop but usually for a few things you can't get in other stores. I'm pretty mad you can't get the licorice Scotty Dogs there anymore. I would also love to see some strong competition in the area and I think Wegmans could do it. Now if you're chicken and turkey eaters..you have to go to the Allentown Farmers Market..that is the place to be just before closing on Saturday. You get great bargains and the chicken products are great.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

I love TJ's for their frozen food selection. I love their tamales.
Plus the staff wear cool tropical shirts;)

Blackcat Blackcat
Jan '14

FYI - The new Shop Rite is located on the Morris Twp./Morris Plains border, not East Hanover. It's near Mennen Arena on Hanover Avenue.

I checked it out and it's a ZOOOOOOO! Lots of stuff going on there. They have all kinds of hot and cold food bars, they even have an oyster bar. They have stations that make sandwiches, salads and sushi rolls to order. There is a liquor store inside as well.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '14

Wegmans makes great individual Beef Wellingtons. sheanimal loves them, so I usually make them for Valentines day. They're $15 a pop, so they aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper than buying them out somewhere.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jan '14

Yes, correct, it is Morris Plains. I was wroing, thanks Calico.

asking, cookie butter is a peanut butter like item that is made from ground up Speculoos cookies. It has a gingerbread taste. It's outrageous.

http://www.dailycal.org/2013/10/16/cookie-butter-is-the-new-nutella/

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

Re: Adios A&P

Is this the fake FB post? Amazing how many buy into it. Look at the names!

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jan '14

Harry Paratesties, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jan '14

Yep, that's it LJ. Mike Krotch, and Say Maya Butreex fast a couple times too. Ha.

And to say it would be going in where the Jones farm is is actually believable. Large tract of land on Rt. 94.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

TJ has the best frozen chicken tenders that my kids absolutely love, no by products in them.. Now and then we drive to Florham Park and stock up the freezer. The produce is also good there, and we buy their nut mixes.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '14

Their nut mixes, granola, and granola bars are good. We also like their pizza dough and sauce. Wife always gets a tub of their salted dark choc covered almonds. Those things are addictive.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

"...And because of where HTown is located, 20 min from the nearest major highways..."

Huh?

Please check your math MeisterNJ . 4 miles from Rt80, 9 miles from Budd Lake Rt80, 0 miles from Rt46.

Although I do agree you don't pass thru on your way home from work - You live here or you don't come to town...

Barnacle Bill
Jan '14

Is it only 4 miles from say QC on Mountain Ave to Exit 19? I'll swear that there were times when it at least FELT like 20 minutes to go from one place to the other, lol.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jan '14

It's so funny how everybody's arguing about Wegman's and Trader Joe's and all these stores we don't have, yet A&P isn't even closing.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Jan '14

If you're sitting on mountain Ave next to McDonald's, are you making it to Route 80 in less than 20 min Barnacle B? During rush hour? Be a little realistic. You can't take the town limits closest to Rt. 80. Yes, if you live on 517 and have one light to get through, you can make it in 4 min. Where would a potential Wegman's be located? In Panther Valley? I don't think so, it would be near Lowes or over in Mansfield. So, yes, 20 min.

And 46 is not a major highway.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

Shoprite would run any competition out of business!! Nobody but nobody will be allowed to open a (competitive) supermarket near the Mansfield Shoprite!!!

Dominick J
Jan '14

trader joes is owned by the people who own aldi stores. one thing that is unique about trader joes and aldi is that almost everything is under their own brand name, but made by other people. this causes these stores to have some products you don't see anywhere else.

old wegmans, the original ones in upstate new york, are like regular supermarkets, but the ones in nj and pa are very nice stores, with large grocery selection. most have a clock tower outside. but, as another user said, be careful with prepared foods and market cafe! everything else is low price, but those are expensive! they are the most expensive salad bar, supermarket pizza, and appetizing foods. they do have many gluten free items, which is good because much of my family is gluten free.

the hackettstown area has no potential for either of these stores, for various reasons. it has no market for a trader joes, because this area simply is not 'wealthy' enough for one. despite tj's low prices, they rarely locate in areas with median household income of less than 100K. for example, the tj's in north jersey are in wayne township, millburn, florham park, westfield, paramus and westwood. these are all suburban communities. with the exception of one, all have median household income over 100K. and, the one that does not is still higher than the hackettstown area. plus, hackettstown is in a rural area, and tj's are usually in suburbs and cities. usually, communities with median household income lower than 100K are given an aldi, which would be a good fit (i think) for hackettstown. examples of this are stroud township pa, rockaway, easton pa, south plainfield, union, roselle, piscataway and linden.

there is certainly no potential in the hackettstown area for a wegmans. new wegmans are usually located in wealthier areas, or areas close to wealthier areas, and are within 10 miles of 2 major highways. examples: the scranton wegmans is near 81, 380 and 84. the bridgewater wegmans is near 287, 78, and 22. the woodbridge wegmans is near the gs parkway, route 95 turnpike, and route 1. the manalapan wegmans is near routes 33 and 18. the princeton wegmans is near 95, 295, 1, and 195. the lower nazareth pa wegmans is near 33 and 22.

MeisterNJ is correct, 46 is not a major road in any way. there is only one major road near hackettstown and that is 80. a wegmans wouldn't work (yet) in panther valley because people on 80 west of morris county and east of pa are not commuters (mostly).

overall, the one market i think would work here is aldi.

hluser
Jan '14

Someone already did, Weiss is all of 100 yards away for years

I'll bet that Weis doesn't gross a dime in sales for every dollar that Shoprite does. I used to get lonely shopping there, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jan '14

Weis cannot be compared to wegmans. I do ocassionaly go to Weis and find them to be a bit pricey. I usually go when they have a sale on eight o'clock coffee. I animal, I agree about that store being empty most of the time. No offense meant to those that like to shop there. I do like their meat department though.

Bessie Bessie
Jan '14

A&P sucks! Wegmans does not suck...too bad we wont have one in our area anytime soon. As for A&P closing, well who knows and who cares? The stores are dirty and overpriced the employee's are jerks....nevermind the expired items on the shelves. Maybe Kroger will buy A&P and fix things but I doubt if the Mt. Olive store is worth keeping if Kroger did take A&P over.

A&P Sucks anyways A&P Sucks anyways
Jan '14

MeisterNJ -

1. Can easily make it to 80 in less than 20min from any part of town at any time. I used to take the train from Netcong everyday so trust me, I know.

2. Didn't realize major highway meant interstates only. Guarantee the traffic counts on 46 are through the roof.

3. Shop Rite has a philosophy to not be undersold locally. They'll take a loss on an item knowing you'll buy 10 more things while you are there. That's why they are so successful. You'll find items in other stores lower priced, but not overall and not day in day out.

4. A&P has always been second rate at best. Why go when there are better options?

Barnacle Bill
Jan '14

Well, I would bet a good amount of money against reaching Rt. 80 at exit 19 in less than 20 min during rush hour starting from say the Lowes parking lot. I used to travel through that way everyday. Regardless, so even if it's 17 min, who's going 34 min out of their way to go to a grocery store in Hackettstown? Even if it is Wegman's.

Major highway = more than 2 lanes..and oh.. I don't know how about no traffic lights, turning lanes, u-turns, and cross streets?

What constitutes 'through the roof'? In comparison to what? Rt. 24 in Long Valley? Naughright rd? What is that supposed to mean other than being a superlative to help make your argument seem correct? ]

How about some data:

Traffic on Route 46 <<< Route 10 . Volume over 48 hours is 13000 on Main St. in Hackettstown, according to NJDOT(2010 data). And that's actually down 1000 from 3 years prior. Must be going back down through that very same hole in the roof.

For Route 10 in Randolph, same time period, it's 60000. And I don't consider Route 10 a major highway either for the same reasons above.

Also, the population in Hackettspatch has actually decreased, to under 10k in 2010. Down about 7% over year 2000 Yep, that's where a food store wants to come, to a town with a decreasing amount of core customers.

Wow, I know how Mr. G feels now.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jan '14

The ITC in mount olive probably wouldn't be a bad location for a Wegmans. Easy access to 46-80-206 and infrastructure in place. Only problem is they probably don't have any pads left that are anywhere near large enough. Someone would have to burn down the Walmart (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jan '14

It takes you 20 min to get to exit 19 from Lowes? You must generate an awful lot of road rage in those stuck behind you. Please be considerate and pull over to let others pass.

All kidding aside, those following the Bergen Tool saga already know the area is oversaturated with supermarket space. That and the cap on growth by the Highlands Act are the basic reasons other markets don't give moving here a second thought.

Barnacle Bill
Jan '14

Barnacle Bill- some people have no choice but to go to a&p. as a said in a previous post, unless you use 'from home' supermarket delivery services, a&p is often the only supermarket in parts of rural nj. they have a monopoly with no competition. they fail when they don't. for example, a&p closed in maplewood and morristown when other options opened. the reason they are not doing well in those rural places where they are the only market in town? the answer is lack of shoppers. sussex county is experiencing a population loss, as are many other areas with a&p locations. a&p is literally running out of shoppers. when all the a&p stores close, many of these areas will become a 'food desert'. plus, who is going to want to buy these rural a&p stores? not wegmans (why have such a big nice store with no shoppers?). not trader joes (not wealthy enough area). not whole foods market (not enough business people who can afford whole paycheck pricing. even newark is getting a whole foods, but it has a lot of business workers). not shoprite, the old a&p stores are too small (usually), and ronetco shoprite has not opened a new store in years.

i think that a wegmans would work near the rockaway mall. plenty of business, close to rt 80 and 287, and 15 (not that 15 is a major highway). plus, there is bus service for employees. most wegmans are located near public transport, which warren county lacks.

MeisterNJ is totally correct. rt 46 is in no way a 'major' road. it probably once was before route 80. it is kind of like a series of several roads over the state connected by one name. MeisterNJ is also right in that Wegmans could not move anywhere near here, because there simply not enough people. tens of thousands would have to move to warren and sussex counties for a wegmans to open!

hluser
Jan '14

All I know is that the people that live in the Belvidere and the Blairstown area really do need some type of major supermarket, A & P although not great had what I needed and I didn't have to travel 15-20 miles to Mansfield. Of course it would be ideal if there was a Shoprite, but due to convenience I think anything would be appreciated. I'm only speaking for myself, since I lived in Mountain Lake (near Belvidere) for many years and that area is quite out of the way from mostly everything.

positive positive
Jan '14

I went to school in Williamsport pa and shopped at wegmans. This area is the big city if you want to compare population to Williamsport. So I am not sure I agree with the wegmans rational. My guess they would do just like Walmart and adjust store size and inventory accordingly to each area. I do not work for them or have any insight to the business model, just that they were in Williamsport and that was the middle of no mans land.

I know somebody who works in the corporate office,they were told that Tuesday they have a store closing meeting.Maybe this is not just like last time(as far as hearsay)

tiger
Jan '14

Store closing meetings are commonplace in retail corporate offices, not necessarily anything above or beyond business as usual. However, the future of A & P looks very grim so if they are not the norm in their office, then that may indicate a coming strategy to close more locations. I still remember the one in Andover. That closed a solid ~20 years ago, if memory serves correctly and that building is STILL vacant.

I am surprised that the Mt Olive location is closing as I'd think the lack of supermarket in that immediate area would literally drive business to it. However, I'm wondering if that WalMart hasn't expanded its grocery selections to drive more business there. With a WalMart 5 mins from me, I haven't been to that one in a few years.

somechik somechik
Jan '14

The A&P Building in Belvidere, will make a very nice ShopRite when it has been renovated.

waybill waybill
Jan '14

I'm sure all ShopRite employees believe other supermarkets will make very nice ShopRites when they have been renovated. You can be sure A&P employees think the same of your stores. So far the same exact amount of actual evidence the last time this rumor was tried.

jdem- the williamsport location is an old store, like the old upstate ones. wegmans stopped opening in those areas, and moved to suburbs.

shoprite can't yet move to belvidere, there aren't enough people. that a&p is always empty! less than 10000 people live within 10 miles of that store! there aren't enough shoppers!

hluser
Jan '14

When I lived in the Corning/Bath area of upstate NY... I would drive ~20 miles just to go to the Corning Wegmans. This was back in the 1990's...so that store is considered "old". This was back in the day when the Corning "family"
(Houghton's?) had influence on NY state and persuaded Danny Wegman to build a store in Corning area. It was wonderful to shop there and then I moved back "home" to NJ and had to shop at Shop-Rite.

3cats 3cats
Jan '14

i dont like the A&P, i like the shoprite,

would love to see both a trader joe's and a wegman's nearby

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '14

Having A Stew Leonard's would be great.

The New York Times called Stew Leonard's the "Disneyland of Dairy Stores."

maja, love Stew Leonards!

Tracy Tracy
Jan '14

I will really miss the A&P if it goes. Will not step foot in the Mansfield ShopRite. Can't stand that store! It's dirty, cluttered. The formation of the aisles drives me nuts!! Customers rude.. Long lines.. Luckily I have recently developed a new liking for Weis, so if A&P is gone, Weis it will be.

Mrs. T
Jan '14

I agree with you Mrs. T.

sam p sam p
Jan '14

There will always be disgruntled customers in any business. They are called the 5 percent who will complain about everything and anything. Thanks Mrs.T

from
Jan '14

Just as there are disgruntled employees in any business. They are the 5 percent who believe their company can do no wrong and start rumors about their competition. Thanks from.

Thank goodness for GC. This person has the answer to everything. And a nasty rebuttal.What a class act.

from
Jan '14

Where is the proof?

JackD69 JackD69
Jan '14

The proof is in the pudding. Try the baking goods aisle...

ianimal ianimal
Jan '14

from.

Don't think Mrs. T is being a "disgruntled customer". Just stating that she likes and would miss A&P SHOULD it actually be closing. Hardly complaining about everything and anything, and frankly, I, along with many others, agree with her about the Mansfield ShopRite. That is why we have choices as to where we shop. To each his own.

The store is still open, so I think your pudding is no good. Might as well say the world is ending also.

JackD69 JackD69
Mar '14

Boxed pudding mix has a very long shelf life. I'm sure it's still fine. Even if the world ends, Jell-O pudding will survive.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

i heard they are knocking the A&P down to put up a golf course.... but i might be getting my rumors mixed up.

darwin darwin
Mar '14

they moved the dairy manager /deli manager/todd the butcher to Blairstown...something is going on.

tiger
Mar '14

They move people around. It happens. People I knew in one store moved to another.

btownguy btownguy
Mar '14

Mount olive used to be their cash cow out in western nj,I worked for them,now Blairstown is.

tiger
Mar '14

tiger, how did that store closing meeting go? The one your corporate friend attended.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Mar '14

It was a closing in ny,she did not hear anything about mt olive.It is just strange that they moved them all at once,never saw that before.

tiger
Mar '14

well that makes sense that blairstown is the 'cash cow', it is the only supermarket in warren county north of i-80!

hluser
Mar '14

Dales market does pretty well and also Alpine meats,but there was talk of another chain looking at property.All the dept managers that were in that store have been for years and a lot of them needed a move.Todd the butcher is very good and a great guy,a refreshing change for Blairstown.

tiger
Mar '14

A&P in Mt Olive is not closing. As an employee, we would be the first to know before the public does. Since we are in a union they have to give the employees adequate notice i believe 3 months in advance. All these rumors of A&P closing are baseless and the so called "facts" you have are simply not true.

Ant - I wouldn't worry about it. The same Shop Rite employee keeps spreading the same rumor time after time.

Here is what supermarket industry insiders predict for A&P. Read it and weep. A&P will be liquidated very soon.

ssob
Mar '14

Ant, if you work there, you should know how down hill the place is going. Prices are still way out of line in general, many employees just act like they don't care, especially the young teems who don't seem to be able to break themselves away from their text messages to deal with customers. Grocery carts are stored outside and are in disrepair, product selection is thinning. I stopped going even though its much closer than the ShopRite on Flanders or the WalMart in Hackettstowm.

Texaskeystone Texaskeystone
Mar '14

I happened to stop in to Budd Lake A&P one evening around 7 o clock for a few items. I knew the prices would be higher than what I am used to paying, but my check out experience was horrible! Nobody was in the store....there were more workers than customers. I get to the checkout and there are 3 young girls talking. One has to break away as I picked her aisle. She barely acknowledges me as she continues her conversation with her friends. What really got me ticked was that after she took my money, she left me to pack my own bags. She didn't even bag 1 item for me. I am a Shop Rite shopper but will go to other stores for smaller orders...never again will I go to A &P though. If my experience is typical, I can't imagine how they could stay in business!

HackettstownMom
Mar '14

The new Weis in Flanders is da bomb ! Was there for the Grand Opening - Look out Shop Rite in the bad location across the street ....

mittens
Mar '14

HackettstownMom- Your experience is not common. I love that A&P and it is usually nice there. They do have a self Checkout, which basically makes cashiers obsolete. The prices are high-but for whatever reason the products usually are better quality.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Mar '14

Well there is no guessing anymore-filed chapter 11, 2am this morning.All stores will be sold or closed for good.The new buyers will NOT have to honor Union contracts as part of the deal.

whatsup
Jul '15

Good they charge to much anyway!

Mother Mother
Jul '15

is not chapter 11 a protective messure that a company can do it may not mean the end of A&P

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '15

The latest statement by A&P Markets to its Unions. This was released at noontime today. They are still in business.
THIS IS THE LATEST UPDATE AS OF MONDAY, JULY 20 @ NOON
A&P ANNOUNCEMENTS TODAY

This morning The A&P Company made three major announcements:

That it is closing 25 stores, eight of which are Local 1262 Pathmark locations.
The Company is in the process of selling 120 of its other stores to several other supermarket operators.
The Company is filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy but stated it fully expects to continue operations at its open stores and to continue paying employees wages, salaries, medical and other benefits without interruption.You can read a full copy of the information distributed by A&P by clicking on the Pathmark slider on the home page. In the meantime, we would like to reassure our Pathmark members that our Union Representatives are on hand to answer your questions, especially those involving bumping rights and seniority. We will continue to update you as often as possible during the next few days so please check this web site or our hotline on a regular basis.

PATHMARK UPDATE AT 8 A.M.

The A&P Company notified Local 1262 late on Sunday evening that they will be closing 25 stores. Eight of those stores include our Pathmark locations in East Brunswick, Old Bridge, Edison, Toms River, Linden, Belleville and two in Clifton.

Local 1262’s Union Representatives will be in those stores at 9 a.m. on Monday when the company plans to make this announcement to help answer questions and address your concerns.

We would like to assure our Pathmark members that Local 1262 is on top of this situation and will be working to ensure bumping rights and other rights under your contracts are enforced.

We will be releasing additional information to our members as we obtain more details today

Zobo
Jul '15

You are correct,chapter 11 was last time,my mistake chapter 7-sell all assets to pay creditors.

whatsup
Jul '15

Re A&P, Per USA today: Chapter 11 bankruptcy allows companies to reorganize their operations and slash debts in an attempt to create a stronger company. They must win the approval of the court and creditors to reemerge from bankruptcy.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/20/p-grocery-chain-files-bankruptcy-again/30404517/

nancy nancy
Jul '15

It is only chapter 11 because of a proposed sale of 120 stores(nicknamed chapter 22)if the sale falls thru it has no choice but chapter 7.There is no way they are coming out of this.They will close 25 right away,and sell the rest,but they will be on a time schedule-they must liquidate everything.

whatsup
Jul '15

I'm a bit confused-does this mean the end of the Budd Lake A&P? Could someone explain.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '15

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2015/07/stop_shop_to_buy_25_ap_stores_including_3_in_nj.html

Old Gent Old Gent
Jul '15

I can see Mount olive just closing and the space go back to the landlord,Belvidere and Blairstown do a good volume(because of location) the are going to get snatched up by someone.Mount Olive was a great store years ago but now it is a train wreck,empty shelves ect.Too much competition nearby.

whatsup
Jul '15

This does NOT effect the A&P in Budd Lake. I heard this on the news this am.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Jul '15

Mount olive will close,just not right away.All a&p's will close in time.They are selling all assets.The company will not exist in 10-12 months.

whatsup
Jul '15

Mount Olive and Belvidere are not closing immediately but were not included in the first set of stores that were bid on pre-bankruptcy.

Now that the company is under bankruptcy protection there may be takers on those and other locations based on location or viability for the party involved. It's up to you 'lifers to debate how good a spot they are in and whether you would be happier with a Wegman's or Trader Joe's.....

The Blairstown store amongst others was taken by Acme. I guess that Shop Rite thing didn't pan out like everyone swore they knew a few years back....

During the bankruptcy process other companies could change the landscape from where it is today by entering the bidding process.

http://www.apteanotice.com/faq/

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Jul '15

A partial list of A&P and Pathmark stores that are in the process of being taken over by ACME Markets.List courtesy of A&P:

A&P (2007 State Route 35, Wall Township, NJ)
A&P (100 Triangle Center, Yorktown, NY)
A&P (137 Lake Street, Midland Park, NJ)
A&P (125 Franklin Turnpike, Mahwah, NJ)
A&P (1260 Springfield Avenue, New Providence, NJ)
A&P (610 Columbus Avenue, Thornwood, NY)
A&P (2160 Lemoine Avenue, Fort Lee, NJ)
A&P (520 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, NJ)
A&P (660 Mclean Avenue, Yonkers, NY)
A&P (3105 East Main Street, Mohegan Lake, NY)
A&P (123-125 Main Street, Denville, NJ)
A&P (125 18th Street, Jersey City, NJ)
A&P (45 Demercurio Drive, Allendale, NJ)
A&P (2005 Albany Post Road, Croton on Hudson, NY)
A&P (1511 Route 22, Brewster, NY)
A&P (801 Kenilworth Boulevard, Kenilworth NJ)
A&P (907D Oak Tree Road, South Plainfield, NJ)
A&P (5774 Berkshire Valley Road, Jefferson Township, NJ)
A&P (530 Route 515 Unit 1, Vernon, NJ)
A&P (1233 Nepperhan Avenue, Yonkers, NY)
A&P (507 Prospect Avenue, Little Silver, NJ)
A&P (614 Clinton Street, Hoboken, NJ)
A&P (Route 22 and Route 138, Golden Bridge, NY)
A&P (829 Route 82, Hopewell Junction, NY)
A&P (12-14 Cedar Street, Bronxville, NY)
A&P (510 Valley Road, Montclair, NJ)
A&P (1201 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT)
A&P (422 Old Post Road, Bedford, NY)
A&P (3 Village Center, Mahopac, NY)
A&P (1060 Raritan Road, Clark, NJ)
A&P (230 Saw Mill River Road, Millwood, NY)
A&P (5 Ortley Plaza, Ortley Beach, NJ)
A&P (455 Route 23, North Sussex, NJ)
A&P (261 South Ridge Street, Rye Brook, NY)
A&P (160 West Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT)
A&P (1886 Pleasantville Road, Briarcliff Manor, NY)
A&P (152 Route 94, Blairstown, NJ)
A&P (1261 East Putnam Avenue, Riverside, CT)
A&P (777 White Plains Road, Eastchester, NY)
A&P (199 Kinderkamack Road, Park Ridge, NJ)
A&P (103 Knollwood Road, Greenburgh, NY)
A&P (1366 East Main Street, Shrub Oak, NY)
A&P (55 Riverwalk Drive West New York, NJ)
A&P (23 Quaker Ridge Road, New Rochelle, NY)
A&P (Route 44 and North Avenue, Pleasant Valley, NY)
A&P (288 Elm Street, New Canaan, CT)
A&P (990 Shrewsbury Avenue, Tinton Falls, NJ)
A&P (3500 Route #9, Old Bridge, NJ)
A&P (75 Mayhill Street, Saddle Brook, NJ)
A&P (177 Washington Valley Road, Warrenville, NJ)
Pathmark (321 Stadium Plaza, Jersey City, NJ)
Pathmark (58 Broad Way, Elmwood Park, NJ)
Pathmark (481 River Road, Edgewater, NJ)
Pathmark (2101-41 Cottman Avenue, Philadelphia, PA)
Pathmark (4100 Park Avenue, Weehawken, NJ)
Pathmark (80 New Bridge Road, Bergenfield, NJ)
Pathmark (281-295 Ferry Street, Newark, NJ)
Pathmark (5100 Wellington Avenue, Ventnor, NJ)
Pathmark (7700 Crittenden Street, Philadelphia, PA)
Pathmark (100 College Square, Newark, DE)
Pathmark (4365 Kirkwood Highway, Wilmington , DE)
Pathmark (643 Conchester Highway, Boothwyn, PA)
Superfresh (180 West Girard Ave, Philadelphia, PA)
Superfresh (9507 Coastal Highway, Ocean City, MD)
Superfresh (1305 West Chester Pike, Havertown, PA)
Superfresh (609 East Bay Avenue, Manahawkin, NJ)
Superfresh (800 2nd Street, Pike Richboro, PA)
Superfresh (1812 Marsh Road, Wilmington, DE)
Superfresh (305 South Fifth Street, Philadelphia, PA)
Superfresh (800 West Avenue, Ocean City, NJ)
Superfresh (1001 South Street, Philadelphia, PA)
Superfresh (18578 Coastal Highway Rehoboth, DE
Superfresh (2400 Delaware Avenue, Wildwood, NJ)
Superfresh (250 East Lancaster, Wynnewood, PA)
Superfresh (1025 Youngs Ford Road, Gladwyne, PA)
Superfresh (401 New London Road, Newark, DE)

Zobo
Jul '15

Sadly, it's all true - my brother who works at A&P Corporate is on the job hunt - he's been told 6 months at most before he's out of work.

Anybody need a Oracle DBA?

trekster3- trekster3-
Jul '15

Best of luck to your brother trekster3, same to all A&P employees. Assuming another supermarket company will purchase all the A&P's I hope they give special consideration to employees who worked at the A&P when rehiring.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Jul '15

I wonder what will happen to the dump in belvidere.

Philliesman Philliesman
Jul '15

The latest news about A&P closings is that the Hackettstown mountain Drakestown road store will be closing in 60 days. No news about the A&P markets in Califon, Belvidere or Washington NJ.There is also no news about the fate of the Randolph NJ A&P market.

Zobo
Aug '15

Zobo-What is the source? I was there last night, no signs of closure whatsoever, employees were happy, no signs, no reduced stock etc...

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

1988LJ - The source is the same Shoprite employee that started the thread in the first place.

GC-I'm sorry, but I don't trust someone working for a rival company for info on A&P. You wouldn't want Coke facts from a Pepsi employee.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

1988LJ, I'm pretty sure that was GC's point.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '15

If you want accurate A&P closure info..this is a good site

http://www.ufcw464a.org/

Brad2
Aug '15

Aquarius-thanks for pointing that out ;)

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

All employees company wide received layoff notices this week. The stores mentioned above will close in 60 to 90 days as A&P. The company is still seeking bids for those stores and others that are "unsold". September 11th is the deadline for interested parties to bid. If a new company buys the stores, the employees will go with the stores.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Aug '15

A&P failed because of the union. I followed the link above.
What a bunch of overpaid yahoos! All in that photo just want the big paycheck.
Paycheck paid for by union employees. Unions had their place 80 years ago
but not anymore. It's why the USA is not #1 in so many things anymore.
Industry can't compete because of the unions.

AntiUnionCitizen
Aug '15

AntiUnionCitizen. A&P Markets failed because of gross mismanagement. The company screwed its Union workers over many times. A&P has been failing for many years. They made so many mistakes it is foolish to even remember them.Lets remember WEO Our prices have Changed in the mid 1970s. STUPID.The stores were out of stock and dirty. Then A&P made the master stroke of buying other supermarket chains like Pathmark, Shopwell,Waldbaums and Food Emporium. They could not manage these acqusitions.Hence the company began to falter.The old saying within the grocery industry is this "A&P Has been going out of business for 50 years. This time they might have gotten it right". By the way the A&P managers are being snapped up by all local supermarket chains. All these new hires talk about is where the bonuses and K money they have received from A&P should be re-invested.Years ago A&P was a great company. It was run into the ground starting with Huntington Hartford The son of a founder of the company. RIP A&P.

Urge
Aug '15

GC I welcome one of your brilliant comments here! You can try to make a fool of me again. Here is an old A&P Tea company picture. The A&P company in many ways invented the modern grocery business.

Urge
Aug '15

Huh! So that's what those letters stand for!

Unfortunally these forums are playgrounds for adult bullies

vous
Aug '15

How many years has the A&P Belvidere store been there? Seems like such a poor choice for a supermarket location. Most times I've been there it's been dead empty with the produce section rotting away. It seems many folks that live in that area skip over that store and make the drive over to the Shoprite on Rt 31 in Washington for the better sales and overall cheaper prices.

Not a fan of A&P
Aug '15

urge/ssob/waybill/from/+51 other names you use - It's just important to know who you're talking to. All the name changing is to hide who your employer is, as well as you're defending the union as a member of it.

I do agree the union is not to blame for A&P. It may not help at times but *all* unions are on the run, they have less and less power, and blaming the entire country's issues on unions is entirely inaccurate. A&P was never that great a store even before all the bad mismanagement. It never got itself out of 1957. Now there's a lesson to apply to everyday life.

A company that has a union probably deserves one.

Unions manage companies that do not manage themselves.

Reynolds
Aug '15

The Unions were the most at fault for the burial of A&P -- yes the company executive management was at fault as well but the Unions guaranteed the burial. Just look no further than the layoff provision to dismiss based upon seniority (most junior let go first), and it goes on and on...

Ijay, I am sure you are unaware that the union employees gave back $650 million dollars to the A&P during the last bankruptcy about 5 years ago. That money was supposed to be used for store renovations, etc. Corporate exes used financing and the givebacks to give themselves a nice bonus. The union is not going to be so willing to givebacks this time around. I highly doubt that my $9.21 an hour after 10 years of employment is what made the A&P go belly-up. "Urge" is correct, "A&P failed because of gross mismanagement"

nancy nancy
Aug '15

So if "The Unions were the most at fault for the burial of A&P -- yes the company executive management was at fault as well but the Unions guaranteed the burial" can you please explain how other supermarket chains like ShopRite who are just as heavily unionized as A&P are financially successful?

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

Unions were a good idea in the beginning but have become a breeding ground for corruption, overentitlement and screwing the customer. They all should be stopped.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

1988LJ- Overgeneralization. Some unions are that way, others are not. They still are a good idea, but unfortunately many have become corrupt and mismanaged (sound familiar?) and need to go. But that doesn't mean that all are that way, nor does it mean they are no longer a good idea.They are a market force, just like anything else. We could, however, have a very different discussion about public sector unions (where there are no market forces to provide counter pressure, and there is no bankruptcy, just debt and taxes).

Brendan Brendan
Aug '15

1988LJ, can you elaborate how the food industry union is screwing you as a customer?

The majority of employees of these food stores are minimum wage clerks. Cashiers with a high turn over rate. There are very few full time members who yes, at one time made similar pay scales as Shop Rite full time career employees who are also union shops. A&P took a 3% pay cut, five year wage freeze, no raises, gave up vacation times, sick days, personal days. To give back which ended up in the hands of the executives, as noted above. Shop Rite employees continued with their raises as per their union contracts and still have all of their extras with earned time off. So at this point the Shop Rite workers are at a higher pay scale. This pertains to full time members. Shop Rite also would have a high turn over rate as well for their minimum wage cashier type part time positions.
There are many facets to the inner workings of a supermarket. Employees in the fresh departments that have been full time, skilled in food safety, health issues and responsible for the foods that the customers consume, should be well educated on maintaining quality products. In return, as a customer you should expect that you are receiving nothing but the best from the money you spend on what could very well be your highest weekly, monthly bill. ALL supermarkets are suffering due to the economy. People shop differently than ever before. In regards to workers. Do you as a consumer, want unskilled workers handling foods you will feed your families? The union makes sure these workers receive a fair pay scale, medical care, safe working conditions. Non union shops can give you ten hours one week, fifty hours the next week. With a union shop you have a guaranteed forty hour work week as a full timer, twelve hours as part timer with the ability to work more but less than thirty. Thanks to the ACA, part time hours are limited to remain under thirty hours per week.
A&P continued to rape it's customers and employees, by constantly raising their prices, making promises of a turn around, while lining the pockets of their revolving door of executives. The judge in the current bankruptcy court is also the same judge who ruled in the last bankruptcy case of A&P. The same judge that gave the ok to give bonuses to the executives during bankruptcy after the union employees gave back which was noted above by Nancy. There is corruption everywhere, that is for certain. Now as far as the community around here goes, let's hope something goes into what will be an empty A&P building. I realize the Wegman's, Trader Joe hopefuls are out there. Are you prepared to pay the kind of weekly, monthly bills those types of stores charge? I know it sounds exciting to tell your friends that your hummus and pita chips are from Trader Joe's while you brag at your bunco games to your besties. When in reality, Walmart is where you buy the rest of your stash. We will see in September-November if it will sit empty or not.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Jane Parker- Not just supermarket unions, but unions in general. They ask more and more for the employees yet disregarding the company and more importantly the consumer. They ask for higher pay, more vacation, etc when not all of these companies can afford it. When companies can't pay, they strike or take lawsuits, and when these corporations go under, consumers lose another place to shop.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

@ JerryG post

" can you please explain how other supermarket chains like ShopRite who are just as heavily unionized as A&P are financially successful?"

Spot on Jerry....
It's because A&P was more worried about "Bonuses!" A&P is "Top Heavy"
It's all about cuts in employee benefits through threats.
Everyone needs their jobs. That was a big factor in the A&P's decisions toward their employee's.

It's all about how the stores are managed. Moral takes its toll too!

Don't forget, Pathmark took over A&P.

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '15

Valid points. What are fair wages and reasonable vacation time? About 70% of their employees fall into the minimum wage category where they hardly stick around to gain any extras such as paid time off. I do agree the customers do lose out as well. I would look more to the executives still getting millions in bonuses while the business goes down. That was not caused by the unions.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

1988LJ what bonuses do you get from your company. Speak up or SHUT UP!Here we ago again with 1988LJ. Union Contracts are negotiated with management. The A&P employees have been screwed multiple times by the company. By the way where do you work? I guess its OK for management in companies to get large bonuses every financial quarter while you screw the employees.Ask the A&P managers who fled the company about the thousands in bonuses they got every financial quarter from the company. By the way you Clown Acme Markets and Stop&Shop have picked up some A&P locations and are offering to take on the displaced workers. ShopRite and PriceRite will pick up some of the closed stores. How much pay and vacation do you get. You are so smart.NOT. By the way A&P took over Pathmark and ruined the company. Pathmark was a great company for many years. RIP Pathmark.When Pathmark would break circulars and commercials like this it would send shivers to ShopRite store owners. Sorry to see Pathmark going away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIrNPcknpk

Urge
Aug '15

One more Pathmark Supermarkets commercial to show how great they were. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq2be4oIE0o

Urge
Aug '15

GC I use 55 other names. Did you miss a few.

Urge
Aug '15

Pathmark was in bankruptcy when A&P bought them out in 2007. Big mistake. That move hurried along A&P's demise.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Today, less than 50% of grocery stores are unionized; and the best IMHO Wegmans, is nit unionized. I wonder why ;)

Wegmans may have big stores but they don't have that many of them in comparison to the unionized store chains. Wegmans probably pays their workers well. Let's take a look at another non union chain. Walmart.
I do not disagree that unions cause havoc in many situations.
I do believe that A&P's current situation is brought on by their corporate failings.
They blame their workers when as was mentioned prior, many of the other supermarket chains have similar pay scales and benefits for their workers and they are not in the same bankruptcy scenarios as A&P has been for years.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Jane Parker- are you some Union rep? I work for a cable company as a marketing manager. I get healthcare and other bonuses, but I do more than scan boxes of spaghetti over a laser. I get paid more and get more vacation, again, because my job requires more skill. I get paid 100k because I WENT TO COLLEGE and I have to use my BRAIN and not just simple menial tasks. When companies have to pay $15 an hour for kids and uneducated adults, it just raises prices for us.
And FYI, insults just show a weak argument.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

Zombo- Don't worry, my company doesn't serve hackettstown ;)

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

Damn no wonder the cable tv bills are so friggan' high !

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

Fantastic Zombo! Lol! 1988LJ, wow a little full of ourselves aren't we?

positive positive
Aug '15

I don't live in H-Town , but Communistcast is still high no matter where you live or whether you bundle or not . In fact I was told if I cancelled phone service and dropped every pay channel except HBO it would be just a few bucks cheaper . You can always grocery shop somewhere else , but if you live in an area where a dish won't work and Verizon is not available the cable is the only available option . Not to worry , soon I will retire , use my Tracfone as my only phone , direct tv as my tv source and get my wifi from the local library .

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

Not a union rep and I did not insult you. The kids you speak of scanning your spaghetti make $8.38 per hour. Not $15. The other full time employees make higher rates according to their skills and amount of years put in. Shop rite man is the one spouting insults. You however, seem to be the one looking down on people.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

The real problem is what to do with those that underperform in life but still need/want a comfortable life with a family. Salaries have adjusted to what you do. Employees and employers need to "meet in the middle." However, there is little incentive for employers to do so and employees that want to underperform will underperform...

I agree, iJay. In every type of occupation from the highest levels to the lowest menial types of jobs. There are under performing types of people in all aspects. It is all well and fine for a person to say they should get paid a certain amount simply because they have a brain which they have to use sometimes and went to college. I am sure there is more to their specific job classification that warrants that money. Who is to say for sure?
Whether or not that cable company services my town does not matter. As a customer, it makes me wonder how these cable companies have such horrible services, yet they have high paid individuals working for them. They would do better to have people working for less money, invest that money into providing better services for their customers. Although, if you call customer service for my cable company, you end up talking to ten different people located in India, unable to help you with your issue. As said before unions can cause all types of havoc and I am not out here claiming they are justified and needed. There are companies that rip off their customers just as badly and they have no unions. Just educated brains that can't keep their customers satisfied.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Unions tend to push more for a good-living wage rather than what the employee does. This is just the nature of the beast...

1988LJ so you think that all grocery store workers do is scan items. You are so wrong and out of touch. The grocery business is much more complicated than that. By the way I put myself through college while working at a grocery store. Even though I was in a Union the owners of the grocery store I worked for sent me money and encouraged me to continue my studies.There are so many facets to the Grocery business. Just remember that most of the kids scanning your groceries are going to college. Some of those very same kids have Scholarships from the stores they work for.The Unions that represent grocery store workers offer college scholarships to their members and children of members.The union will help find their members a mortgage to buy a home through the UFCW mortgage program. Union membership has benefited my family and helped me become a better associate to the company I work for.

Urge
Aug '15

Urge- you're right. They scan items AND bag them.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

1988LJ I love people like you. Not a clue about the supermarket business. My last comment is to clowns like you. There are men and women working in those ShopRites and other supermarkets 24 hours a day. They keep the stores stocked and clean. Go ahead and and write your smug little comments here.Your comments show your lack of any respect for retail workers. Your comments also show how ignorant you are.

Urge
Aug '15

I have been a meat cutter at A&P for over 30 years. During that time I have never envied those who made more money than I do. I also never throw it in the face of people who make less. Knowing how much contempt and disdain people have for my fellow employees and me is disheartening to say the least.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Aug '15

No jeffjohn, I don't think most people think they are better than you or that you perform a menial job, just some idiots who need to post sitting behind a computer screen. Most service industry employees perform a job that we need and I appreciate them. Supermarket employees are no exception. Sorry to hear about A&P, your employer and wish you luck finding another job.

justwondering justwondering
Aug '15

Urge- I treat workers at any store, whether it's A&P, Shoprite, Walmart, McDonalds etc, with the utmost respect, kindness and dignity. However, I find it frustrating when SOME of these employees (not the bakers, butchers, managers etc) ask for greater and greater salaries when it often hurts the company! If you look at the UFCW website, you see that this union has total disregard for the company or the customers.

And JeffJohn- I was not referring to you or similar types of employees. You do a great job, and I may have seen you before as I shop at the A&P meat market weekly. I was referring to these cashiers and baggers, most of whom are teenagers who spend most of the time doing nothing. While at A&P in Budd Lake 2 weeks ago, two cashiers were conversing about their girlfriends while one of them was checking me out! I found that shocking, of course that doesn't reflect on A&P and most employees, but I imagine that's the type who are begging for more and more instead of doing their jobs. I hope you find work with whoever purchases A&P.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

1988LJ,

So it's those teenage employees you belittle for "doing nothing?" Now tell the entire story, were there any other customers waiting to be checked out that the two cashiers were ignoring...or could it be that there weren't any other customers at the checkouts at the time? What would you have them do, stand silently at attention until someone came over?

Teenaged cashiers work part time jobs, get paid minimum wage, and you belittle and demean them with comments like "...They scan items AND bag them..." and ..."the type who are begging for more and more instead of doing their jobs..."

I truly hope you never fall on rough times and have to take a minimum wage job...but if you do, I sincerely hope YOUR customers have more respect for you and your job than you seem to have for others.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

Urge has anger issues.

I think the $15 an hour you have in your head may be from the news reports of fast food workers wanting the minimum wage increased to $15 an hour, which is ridiculous, I agree.

The types of part time workers that are minimum wage workers at the grocery stores are as you mentioned, young high school/college age kids. You also have your share of senior citizens that are retired yet still like to keep busy. Then you have mothers/wives who take on a part time job to supplement their income, have flexible schedules. There is a very small percentage of part time workers that think they can live off of that type of job.
The union does not push for high wages for the part time workforce. They all get minimum wage. They used to get union progression wages which would consist of 25 cents more an hour every 6 months to a year. Many part time workers don't last long enough to even receive those increases. All union grocery stores do that. Even non union stores have progression raises. A&P did take a wage freeze so I am not certain if they even get the progression raises.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

JerryG- I don't demand that I be treated like a king. I always say hello, how are you, thank you,have a nice day, so all I ask is that they treat me and all other customers in the same way. Remember, A&Ps have self-checkout lanes, so when I go to a cashier I would like to have an experience where it is faster and better than doing it myself.
Again, this is not about the butchers, bakers, deli workers, etc who do a great job, this is about SOME of those who do work that can be done by a computer demanding more and more, when some of them haven't even graduated high school.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

1988LJ- you lost your credibility when you cited your salary and demeaned those who you believe are not using their brain to your version of their potential.

I agree with your comments that Unions have gone too far in getting concessions from business- but you lost me with your tone about those that you feel are beneath you.

Aug '15

1988LJ,

Please answer the question I posed earlier: were there customers present that the other two cashiers were ignoring?

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

JerryG- I don't remember, to be honest with you, however I would imagine there would be, they'd stop bagging for a couple seconds to talk and laugh, I had just 30 or so items but it took 10 minutes or more.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

The Rhyme Animal- I apologize if that was what you thought. Another commenter had asked what my salary is and what bonuses I get, I don't brag and I certainly don't think I'm above anyone.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

"I get paid more and get more vacation, again because my job requires more skill." I get paid 100k because I WENT TO COLLEGE and have to use my BRAIN and not just simple menial tasks."

I don't know..sounds like bragging and demeaning others like Rhyme Animal said.

positive positive
Aug '15

What is the estimated closing date?

stressed out stressed out
Aug '15

positive-Any career needs skill and brains. I am not special, I'm sure you need the same.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

1988LJ, it was the way you worded it and emphasized that you went to college and used your brain. When communicating on the net and via text, articulation, mindfulness and knowing where the edit option is located is very important. Misinterpretation is very common. However, I have the feeling in this case I'm not guilty of the above..

Not sure what you meant by I'd need the same. Don't worry your little head about that..I've got it covered and so do many of the blue collar workers who are uneducated and do not use their brains since they just do menial meaningless work compared to the educated managers who most likely sit on their hands all day.

What would happen if all of the workers who perform the menial jobs went on strike or quit? Would you and your fellow colleagues work the registers, bag, clean up, stock, work the deli, butcher, gather up the carts, work customer service and so on?

positive positive
Aug '15

1988LJ Being a most important and educated manager in the cable tv business you must ask for bigger bonuses for your career. Well that all adds cost to my cable tv bill. I might just have to quit cable and get satellite tv.I hope this does not hurt your bonus program.

Urge
Aug '15

Not necessarily. In the private sector there is INNOVATION. Hopefully, he is adding to the company's efficiency and service, SAVING money and ADDING value for the consumers...

iJay, any money he saves the company becomes profit...........has anyone's cable ever gone down without cutting service? He is a marketing manager so most likely his division is selling you more content not saving you money.

I'm just going to buy rabbit ears like the good old days when TV was free. Lol

positive positive
Aug '15

MK, in this case you are probably correct.

I think everyone's misunderstanding...my company makes power lines and bridge cables in NY state and S. jersey. I don't work with Comcast or cable vision.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

here come the layoffs..45 stores to close
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/ap_supermarkets_issue_3700_layoff_notices_in_nj_as.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Brad2
Aug '15

Brad2- Not all those stores are closing immidiately, it just means the employees will be laid off.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

They clearly have no understanding of how to manage a business. Layoffs effective Thanksgiving day. Nice PR you idiots. No one in right mind makes that the effective date of termination going out of business or not.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Aug '15

Absolutely true. Disgusting. I thought it was in poor taste that bids had to be in for the first round of sales on September 11. Although dealing with courts, schedules are schedules. Class act. If the powers that be were even familiar with how to run a business they might have had a chance.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

http://best-met.com/column/soup-nutz-39/

This article is informative.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Jane Parker- if what that article says is true, the a&p executives should write a handwritten letter to every employee and customer apologizing.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

Customers for sure. The employees that made it through the first bankruptcy and gave up 625 million dollars in union concessions, knew it was shaky but did so in good faith. These were the full time workers. The young kiddos scanning groceries were in 7th grade when this happened. The company promised to invest that money to upgrade their stores. Make better sales programs to compete. Make a better customer experience. Instead they want their bonuses to move onto their next business venture.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Those execs are just going to take the cash and go run another beloved company into the ground. They've already destroyed A&P, the original major retailer, I can't imagine what's next.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

Yes, that is what is sad, the history of that retailer. Lots of blame to go around for it's failings. I do feel that they should have followed through with their turn around instead if how things ultimately fizzled. It was all well and fine to blame their work force costs but the big boys gave up nothing.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Jane--one correction/clarification on your previous post. It was not just full time employees that gave up 3% of their pay and vacation time with the last bankruptcy. Part time employees gave up pay and vacation (if they had earned it) also. Remember, most stores are made up of part time employees. The thing to remember is that "in total, over $600 million was given back to the A&P by employees which was supposed to be used for renovations and improving the store, not for execs bonus plans". The execs failed to live up to their agreements.

nancy nancy
Aug '15

Jane Parker- This whole story is very angering and sad. The history of A&P, the workers, the customers, all ruined because of a few bad businessman. Hopefully A&P will be revived someday, and I hope every store is reopened and every worker is able to find a new job.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

Nancy you are correct, part timers were part of the give backs. Keep in mind however, that due to the high turn over rate, many of the current part timers were not around during the concessions in 2011. That does not diminish the affect on the part timers that still remain. While a larger percentage of the work force is part time workers, the full time work force stands to lose more in these final phases of the contractual obligations. The severance entitlements and bumping rights into the stores that are being purchased, which was part of the last bankruptcy court agreements, apply only to the full time members.
Another part of the agreement is for any new buyer to offer jobs to the current workers, full time or part time. All members were given lay off notices. If the Mount Olive store does not sell in this process, many workers may have the chance to petition for jobs at locations that were sold to Acme and Stop and Shop. I doubt very highly that current part time workers will travel distances to these locations, whereas a full time member would. Many part time workers can find a job of equivalent pay locally.
1988LJ, I agree. Hopefully, the store will be purchased. The thought of another empty building is not a good one for the local community.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

There might be some surprises during the final auction phases of the A&P markets locations. ShopRite has been very quiet during this process. Weis Markets has already taken over closed stores from the A&P group in the past.

Urge
Aug '15

Yes Urge, there is a fascinating dynamic going on and there is no doubt that there are players on the sideline waiting to jump in. That ain't no surprise... What will surprise me is when shoprite FINALLY confirms that they bought the Blairstown A&P.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Aug '15

I read that Acme was interested in buying the Blairstown A&P .

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2015/07/ap_bankruptcy_acme_and_stop_shop_try_to_grab_38_nj.html

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

Thanks Zombo. I've been reading about my fate for years by the know-it-alls out there and it's refreshing to see something posted with a basis in fact.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Aug '15

You're very welcome . I miss the Acme by the Rockaway Mall if only for it's dark shiny topped hard rolls with poppy seeds . And they occasionally had Quisp cereal in displays . Something everyone who watched 1960s Saturday morning cartoons would appreciate .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-sTnm_aPBY

Zombo Zombo
Aug '15

Re Califon and Mt Olive A&Ps: http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/califon-mt-olive-p-stores-laying-143-employees-thanksgiving

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '15

If you knew your fate for years ,you should not have waited to the very end-you could of been established somewhere else years ago.It was well know for the past six years that this was going to happen.Now you will have trouble finding something because the experienced field of meat cutters are going to flood the existing stores for employment.The union is useless-but your seeing that now.There will be no bumping and loss of severance pay.

whatsup
Aug '15

ACME markets has offered to retain the employees of the former A&P stores they purchase. Time will tell how this transition works out.

Zobo
Aug '15

Zobo- ACME is not purchasing all the stores, unfortunately, and the ones in our area will not be ACMEs. I would not be surprised if ShopRite purchases our local stores and fires all the old employees.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

Blairstown is becoming an ACME. That's in the area.

Btownguy Btownguy
Aug '15

1988LJ - That's the point. Zobo/Urge/ssob/Waybill/from/etc is trying to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) that Acme isn't going to honor the plan to keep the employees. Then when his employer buys one of these stores and fires everyone, it's just supposed to be what happens.

While Shoprite is probably interested in several locations, I really don't see them buying the Washington Tsp one. It's too much $ to just do that to keep it out of the hands of the competition. It's too close to Mansfield and Byram as well so I can't see them actually operating it unless they close Mansfield. And I don't see that happening.

GC I am not spreading rumors or uncertainty. I have contact with vendors who are dealing with A&P markets and liquor stores. For proprietary reasons I cannot tell all that is going on. I will tell you this, the Washington TWP, Califon,Belvidere, and Washington NJ stores are considered orphan stores because they have no bidders at this time.If no bidders appear they will be closed by Thanksgiving day.

Zobo
Aug '15

Acme will promote within for dept. managers.They will offer A&P employees part-time only to keep the wages were they want them.They are not going to keep full-timers from A&P,just offer them part-time as a new hire.All current union contracts will be void from A&P or the sale of the stores will fail.There is no way they are going to keep current wages.

whatsup
Aug '15

"I have contact with vendors"

And how has that been working out as a source? You started this thread over 18 months ago and it was wrong. You tried to the do the same twice before. Also wrong. You told us "Dont hold your breath about the return of Hostess Twinkies" yet two weeks after they were in production they were on the shelves in Mansfield.

The union vendors talking to the union employees of the competitors aren't very reliable from past experience.

All employees that were in an A&P that is being taken over by Acme stay right where they are, in the capacity they were in and with their full time status intact. There will be no promoting from within from an Acme. There will be no breaking to part time.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Aug '15

any a&p employee who had any HR issues or negative marks on there record will not be considered.There is no way acme is going to keep salary's the same as they were.They will offer some employment but for a base starting salary of 25% less then previously made in a year.Nobody in there right mind would except the current situation without major decline in overhead.

whatsup
Aug '15

What is your source for this information whatsup? Are you the same as Urge, stating rumors from vendors or just guessing and trying to pass it off as factual information?

Jane Parker
Aug '15

Aaah, the end of overcompensation...

Zobo: there isn't an A&P in Washington Twp, guess you mean Mt. Olive?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '15

There's an A&P in Washington Township, Warren County at the corner of Route 31 and Asbury-Anderson Road.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

Only iJay could be happy at the prospect of people losing their jobs.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

ianimal, that A&P is listed as being in Hampton. It's a Post Office thing.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

It has a Hampton mailing address, but it's not in Hunterdon County. It's in Washington Township, Warren County.

459-471 ROUTE 31 SOUTH
Washington Township, NJ 08827

Warren County

Current Owner: WASHINGTON SHOPPING CENTER INC

Block: 75
Lot: 1

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

@ianimal: zobo had said, "I will tell you this, the Washington TWP, Califon,Belvidere, and Washington NJ stores are considered orphan stores .....". Are there 2 stores in Washington, Warren county?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Aug '15

Ah.... no... no, there are not. But there are three other Washington Townships in NJ. Perhaps one of them has an orphan A&P (-;

ianimal ianimal
Aug '15

No JerryG. But just like we don't have the horse and buggy around time moves on. The era of a meat cutter making 50k plus generous benefits is over...

iJay you are so wrong! What an asinine statement. Meat cutters are highly sought after in the supermarket industry.With full pay and benefits. The A&P Wines and Spirits liquor store at 57 Rt 46 In Washington Township Morris County will be closing with the loss of 6 jobs.Thats the A&P liquor store in the former A&P and Food Basics plaza on RT 46 across from Hackettsown Honda. The address is very specific.I would dare not add to the confusion here. Heaven forbid that GC should have to get upset AGAIN!

Zobo
Aug '15

Aw, but Schnookum's no one's upset. I just wish you would post accurate information and not start this whole thread and two others just like it saying A&P is already closed when it's just your competitive wishful thinking. If we could just get some a spec of truth once in a while then everything would be OK.

I'm not even mad you come in on one IP with one name and use your mini-Opera to come in on another. Don't worry, you're still my honey bunny. ;-)

PS That A&P Liquor has been struggling for a long time. It likely would have closed with or without other struggles. It sure doesn't seem like six employees there, more like three.

iJay, so you think 50k plus benefits is too much? You don't think a highly skilled worker who likely has years of experience is worth that?

Tell that to the plumber you call in the middle of the night when a pipe breaks - tell him you're only going to pay him what YOU think his skill is worth. Tell that to the mechanic fixing your car, or the repairman who comes to fix your washing machine.

I don't know if you're merely an anti-union bigot, or if you just don't like people making more than you think their "menial" jobs are worth. What a shame we can't all be wonderful like you.

If you think 50k is too much for someone to make, YOU try living on it and supporting your family for a year.

JerryG JerryG
Aug '15

iJay- A meat cutter is an important and skillful job. Unless you want bones in your beef, you need them. Anyone with half a brain, or who has purchased meat from the butcher shop at A&P, ShopRite, Weis, etc, knows that this is a job that requires some skill.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Aug '15

For clarification, from what I know meat cutters are being replaced by meat wrappers. If you have a niche organic market then the job will still be there, but it is a job that is declining in numbers.

Let me explain my stance better. Supermarkets are going pre-packaged to save costs. Labor costs and workers comp costs are less when you shift from meat cutters to meat wrappers. I agree that good paying jobs is a problem, but for a Union to try to stop a business from shifting to a cost saving model, this is wrong.

If you go to Target and get those nice ribs they come from a large pre-pack plant from middle america...

You are partially correct, iJay. Stores like Walmart, Target, Sam's club. Do not have meat cutters and it is a lot of that prepackaged cuts of meat.

Shoprite, Stop and Shop, Wegman's, Weis, Acme and the soon to be dead A&P have or had the need for meat cutters due to the fact that customers still want fresh specialty cuts. Fresh ground beefs, etc.
Wegman's and Weis are non union, still maintain meat cutters. The meat departments of these stores bring in the bulk of the business. While it may save some to go the route of prepackaged meats, you end up losing business when customers can not get everything they are looking for. I have never seen a crown lamb roast, vacuum sealed in Walmart. At least not yet.

Jane Parker
Aug '15

iJay,
Are the nice ribs you are speaking of pork back ribs? If so, you are correct. They ARE very nice... They are also available at just about any grocery store. They are vacuum packaged and likely frozen at a central-cutting facility. The industry has been moving in that direction for years. Chickens are no longer cut and packaged at the store level. Times change for sure....

Also available at Target and Walmart are pre-pack beef cuts. These are not vacuum packed but MAP packed (modified atmosphere package). That is a process by which the gas composition of the packaging is adjusted to maximize shelf life. Target's brand of beef is also enhanced with a solution to improve flavor and juiciness. The meat cut at local store level is untreated fresh and wholesome. Also custom cut to order. I like my rib steaks at least 1.5 in thick. I don't like choosing from scrappy wet-looking pieces of junk cut 2 weeks ago.

The key word used throughout here is "cut". Wherever it is being processed, I doubt the meat just falls off of the animal so the wrapper can take it from there.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Aug '15

GC you just love turmoil.Watch and learn when the whole A&P/Pathmark debacle dissolves.You can then be the champion of the scavengers who pick over the bones of a once great company.By the way many of the former A&P/ Pathmark workers jobs have been negotiated into the new store owners businesses.The Unions have fought hard to see the workers taken care of.

Zobo
Aug '15

Night crew?

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Aug '15

"Scavengers"?

You started the whole thread and said "A&P will be closing stores in Mt. Olive and Belvidere NJ" when they weren't. And then said Belvidere "will make a very nice ShopRite when it has been renovated".

You start your own turmoil.

My beloved GC.How much more can I say. The A&P debacle will be over by Thanksgiving. Watch and learn .Wait until the unsold stores go into shut down of operations . I bet you will be first in line for the reduced groceries!

Urge
Sep '15

Brother just got his notice at A&P corporate - 60 day and he's out of a job, fortunately I don't think he'll have any problem...

trekster3- trekster3-
Sep '15

Urge....If you throw enough crap against the wall, eventually some will stick. Don't try to pass that off as actual knowledge of the situation.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Sep '15

Urge-
I think that your clear ignorance of the situation and your insulting of others for no clear reason is very innapropriate, considering this tragedy, essentially, where thousands will lose their jobs and hundreds of thousands of consumers will lose their local stores, not to mention the hundreds of small business owners in shopping centers anchored by A&Ps, Pathmarks and Waldbaum's will lose business.
Overall, you are very immature.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Sep '15

No ignorance on my part. Why dont you ask all of the senior Pathmark and A&P managers and district supervisors who are and have been fleeing the company . I talk to them all the time. Even the rats run off of a sinking ship. I am informed not immature. The shopping centers with tenants that are A&Ps, Waldbaums and Pathmarks will get new anchor stores. Example: Kohls taking over the closed A&P at Mansfield Commons. The Unions are bargaining hard with prospective new owners to keep the jobs available for their members.

Urge
Sep '15

An employee at the Califon A&P has said the store will not be bought. Anyone know if true?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '15

OnTheEdge- I am not sure if that is certain, but I know bids are due tomorrow, 9/11. It may be too late. We may have a situation similar to the old Sears in Mansfield where it sits empty for several years and then reopens with a completely new store.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Sep '15

Well, let's see if the weasels at the top can get their going away bonus prizes.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/legal-experts-question-a-p-s-6-million-exec-trust-fund-1.1407226

Now that bids must be in by today, Urge, Whatsup, it is your time to shine.
You boys have all the answers and "facts". What is the final phase looking like in your crystal ball for A&P's remaining stores?? Don't keep us all in the dark, you must know since you have all known for so long.

Jane Parker
Sep '15

Great post, Jane Parker! You gave me the laugh I needed tonight.

As someone indirectly involved in the legal matters of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, I can tell you that no one knows!! Next week may change things tho!

PS - When top execs are given huge bonus packages, .... just a few months prior to filing for bankruptcy, .... stay tuned for ongoing entertainment.

PSS - I am NOT involved in this legal matter, ... (just happen to be related to someone who is), ... and am as outraged as everyone else by the huge payouts to execs.

Robert Durana Robert Durana
Sep '15

Lets see, A&P management sets up a $6 million dollar "Trust Fund" while the company unravels. Feathering their own nest while the company is going out of business. Then the pricks have the nerve to screw the Union workers again.All the time that A&P was going down the drain managers collected their bonuses. On top of all this the arrogant managers complain about the Union payroll. Is it any wonder that the bankruptcy Judge is Robert Drain. Acme and Stop&Shop have put in bids for many A&P and Pathmark locations on the first store auctions. The first stores being sold off are the most profitable. Next up for auction are the "Tier 2" stores. They are less profitable and considered secondary locations.At this time there are 220 interested bidders for these stores.The A&P in Mansfield Township NJ just outside of Hackettstown. Opened and closed during " The Great Move Forward" period of the Haub family ownership. A huge mistake.

Urge
Sep '15

Can't believe the execs can get away with taking $9.4 million in the 12 months prior to bankruptcy. Should be jail time.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-p-insiders-took-home-millions-in-year-before-bankruptcy-1442608435

nancy nancy
Sep '15

the mt. olive A&P is not closing..

they killed themselves when they purchased ghetto Pathmark. if anything does happen in the future it will just be purchased and still be a food store..what happens to the employees is up in the air i've heard several times over 5,000 employees are being laid off by November nation wide

http://www.njherald.com/story/29612558/2015/07/23/local-ap-stores-to-become-acme

Rich85 Rich85
Sep '15

FYI
http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2015/09/sale_of_ap_stores_to_acme_stop_shop_approved_repor.html#incart_river

Old Gent Old Gent
Sep '15

The Mt Olive store is part of the second tier stores going up for bids The vendors tell me that store has no supermarket bidders.Pathmark was ruined by A&P markets.When A&P and Pathmark went over to buy their merchandise from C&S wholesalers the game was over.At this point the A&P liquidation auctions have been put off for at least two weeks.Sad to see A&P going away.Still have memories of the fresh ground coffee at the registers.

Urge
Sep '15

So currently the A&P locations on Rt 31 in Washington Twp (Warren County) and Rt 46 in Belvidere don't have any interested buyers and will most likely be vacant storefronts by year end?

Tully
Sep '15

No, all remaining locations are going on the block for an auction. That does not mean there is no interest in any particular location. It does mean any interested party is unwilling to pay the premium A&P is asking. No vendors have any credible information on this process.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Sep '15

All I know is my brother at A&P Corporate is gone by Oct. 15th, along with most of his co-works. He's an Oracle DBA so data processing will be down to a skeleton crew. One would think that the data feed from stores would be gone shortly thereafter.

trekster3- trekster3-
Sep '15

http://nypost.com/2015/09/21/bankrupt-ap-has-bidders-lined-up/

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Sep '15

Vendors have stepped forward to report that the refrigeration systems,fixtures and cases at many A&P and Pathmark stores are in terrible shape due to lack of maintenance. The new owners and management of the locations will have to make repairs and /or replace the old equipment. The stores that are sold will be closed and re-modeled by the new owners.Provisions are being made for severance and benefits coverage to the affected employees.

Urge
Oct '15

The latest report is that a Foodtown supermarket will replace the A&P market in Belvidere NJ.

Urge
Oct '15

Any update on what's going to happen to the Mt. Olive store? Was it bought in the auction by any other supermarket chain?

saturn saturn
Oct '15

Urge- Do you have a source? I have a lot of trouble believing that, considering Foodtown is not doing so well, either. They only have about 50 stores and it's shrinking.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

Urge heard a rumor, not a report.
I heard a rumor that Village Shoprite is buying Mount Olive A&P.
Have fun with that one...

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

Crud, I forgot that the store in Landing is a Pathmark. I wonder what's going to happen with them now... .

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

I would love a shoprite where the Mt. Olive A&P is, but I can't imagine they'd put one there when there's already ones in Byram, Mansfield and Netcong. If it's true, maybe the small netcong shoprite will close?

saturn saturn
Oct '15

I heard that the Judge in the Bankruptcy case threatened to jail and fine anyone who leaks information on the auction before he releases it.

Brad2
Oct '15

My sources tell me that there is a " 5 mile rule" that ensures one Shoprite won't compete with another. They also say that MO A&P sits at or over 5 miles from Mansfield, Flanders and Netcong.

My sources also tell me that the Flanders Shoprite was quite a bone of contention between Ronetco and Village so stay tuned.....

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

I don't think the Romano family would ever allow the Shop Rite in Netcong to close;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

You are correct Phil D. My sources tell me that Ronetco would LOVE to close Netcong but then what would they call the company?.....

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

Netcong ShopRite is about to undergo a huge expansion and renovation.Mansfield ShopRite will get renovated also.Chester Shoprite and Flanders ShopRite are a little over four miles apart.Village ShopRite and Ronetco ShopRite have an amiable relationship.No news about Village ShopRite taking over the MT.Olive A&P.Wakefern Food Corporation sets the rules on how far ShopRite stores are located from each other.Ronetco is at this time working towards opening new stores in Sparta NJ and Sussex NJ.

Urge
Oct '15

I've heard from someone who works at the A&P in Califon that they are closing by the end of the year ... and that's the only game in town in that area.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '15

Any news on the Landing Pathmark? I also wonder what they'll do with the Parsippany Pathmark. That's far to close to the ShopRite only a mile down the road to be taken over by them.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

So Urge
Where will everyone park after the "Huge Expansion"? They have a very small parking lot with little room for expansion

Brad2
Oct '15

I'm also being told not to count Acme out yet... They have holes to fill in their map and are in a good position to be a better competitor than A&P was with Shoprite.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

ACME taking over A&P is like a&p taking over pathmark,it will fail if they keep the same employees.

whatsup
Oct '15

None of the upper management team is being retained so we should be ok.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

Not just upper management-people who have been in the same store way too long,lazy-outside half the time ,could not care less at check out.Store managers that were useless.Blairstown is a perfect example of this.They need to clean house in that entire store..Acme stores are nothing to brag about.

whatsup
Oct '15

whatsup,

For a while I thought you were a Shoprite employee. Since you said managers that "were" uselss, my money says you are an ex A&P worker with a chip on your shoulder.........

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

whatsup is incorrect. Some people in the Blairstown store have been there for years and cared. I know people that work there. They care. It's the transient people, such as the ever-shifting managers, that may be issues.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '15

No chip on my shoulder,lived in Blairstown for many years and most people in Blairstown disliked the a&p for a long time.Dales and Alpine do very well for just that reason.

whatsup
Oct '15

The store is in dire need to be remodeled,refrigeration is tired- layout outdated.The store needs to be closed for a while for a major makeover,just changing the name over the door is not going to do anything.Btown guy must be a diehard fan..all of my neighbors go to newton or mansfield to do there shopping(for years now),and we go to dales for the small shops.I am not or have ever been a employee but know a lot of people who are/were employees and I wish them the best.

whatsup
Oct '15

Belvidere closes 11/20/15. No Foodtown buying it as far as it stands now.
Damn vendors and their rumors.

Jane Parker
Oct '15

Thanks for the info Jane-
don't worry, the store probably won't be empty for TOO long. The fmr. Sears in mansfield was empty for a couple years, but eventually it was purchased. That usually happens.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

So I guess there's no news about what's going to happen to the Mt. Olive A&P store? I'd hate to see that store sit empty for a long time. That strip mall already has a few empty stores so with no supermarket it's going to be pretty lonely there.

saturn saturn
Oct '15

Saturn-
I wish I knew anything, but there hasn't been any info on that store since August. If you have the time, you should probably call them, they'd probably give you something, however, knowing the corporation-store relations in many businesses, they may be just as much in the dark as we are.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

As of now the MO A&P is not in the so called first wave of liquidations/closings. Belvidere, Califon and Clinton amongst others are closing on 11/20.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

Belvidere is starting its going out of business sale Oct. 15 per a sign at that store

Brad2
Oct '15

The article has Belvidere as sold to Acme

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2015/10/post_29.html#incart_river_mobile_home

No it has it as being grey which means up for bid. Which it is no longer up for bid as it will close 11/20/2015. Keep in mind that although these locations have A&P's closing, there is the potential for something else to take over the leases after the stores shut down permanently. As in another grocer or just about any other type of business. May take months or years depending on the value of the location to a potential occupant.

Jane Parker
Oct '15

maja, that article has Blairstown sold to Acme and Belvidere up for auction.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '15

You're right Aquarius. They're the same place to me, as I only stop in the belvidere store about once a year :) But definitely makes a difference to shoppers from those towns.

They're the same to me too, maja. :-) I get them confused all the time.

Aquarius Aquarius
Oct '15

Weis Markets has been very silent during this whole A&P bankruptcy proceeding. That company took over the closed A&P in Flanders NJ and the closed Pathmark in Hillsborough NJ. They have been actively searching for store sites in Washington NJ and Belvidere NJ. Time will tell.

Urge
Oct '15

https://youtu.be/A8njyLeEfuQ

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Oct '15

jeffjohn- I'm sure there's a joke in that video, somewhere, right? You didn't just link the wrong video?

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

I have a relative who spoke to employees at The A&P in Mt. Olive today and it is closing in two weeks. Liquidation sale with everything 10% off starts next Friday and then store is closing the Friday after that.

They said Shoprite looked at the store but weren't interested. They also said there's a final auction tomorrow so it's possible it could still be bought by another supermarket.

saturn saturn
Oct '15

1988LJ - In Wagnerian opera, it's not over until the fat lady sings. The fat lady is singing. ;-)

The rest of the predictions are BS as always.

Thanks GC ;)

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

Acme's prices are as bad, or worse, than A&P's were.

There were two stores where my kids remember me turning around in mid-shopping and putting everything back on the shelf where I got it from (because I didn't want to make things difficult for the employees, who were obviously not responsible for the criminally high prices.)

Did it more than once in Acme, and at least once in the Belvidere A&P....

The sense of getting ripped-off got worse the more I shopped, and on principle, I just couldn't pay their prices.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Oct '15

The Belvidere A&P would be a potential high revenue store if Shop Rite choose to go there. They would draw from a fairly large area where there aren't any Shop Rites within 10 miles at least.

They would also get the folks from PA, the same ones that come over the Belvidere Bridge to buy cheap gas.

I agree with jjmonth4- that A&P was a store of last resort, sorry the folks are losing their jobs- the company that ran that store really did a bad job with that building, selection of products and overall presentation of the store-

The area out here- Great Meadows/Liberty - going west, is underserved by a GOOD store.

Much like Quick Chek does a great business on Rt.519/Rt.46 area, a reasonably good store at that location would really do well.

Oct '15

All of the local SR are 12 miles from Belvidere. Pburg and Washington are both 12 miles from there.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '15

SR doesn't have the slightest interest in that store. Nothing but old men's FUD. SR has only expressed interest in 12 stores tops and they aren't even the NJ ones.

ok, ok, i'm out of the loop, what's does FUD stand for?

I mean I know I been getting older, but thought I was still with it? guess I was wrong about that!

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '15

Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt.

You're out of the loop??? ;-)

I'm out of the loop too. I had no idea what it meant either.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

Went over my head too!

John C John C
Oct '15

I thought it was when a seagull got sucked into a jet engine (-;

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

Speaking of the Belvidere A&P, that stretch of Route 46 from about Liberty all the way out to Columbia is soooo depressing. Empty aging buildings and the business that tends to be there looks to be in a time warp. You'd think that farmer across from the Belvidere Diner would clean up his farm??? It's best years along that stretch of roadway are obviously looong gone thanks to Interstate 80. Sad.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Oct '15

Actually, I think it's kind of neat. Nothing wrong with places that looked like they were forgotten in time. Enjoy it before CVS builds more stores along that stretch.

John C John C
Oct '15

Stay out of my time warp, Lenny

kepa
Oct '15

Hopefully, Rt46 in that area stays just like it is, before it becomes overbuilt and begins to look like Mt.Olive along Rt.46- which if you remember only 30 years ago, was fairly barren from Budd Lake to Hackettstown. Now it is pretty unsightly.

Staying to the topic of A&P in Belvidere, again, the area is underserved by a Quality food store. If a competetive market goes there, it will pull market share from those stores whose patroms are travelling 10 miles plus from this (my) area to get their groceries currently.

Oct '15

"You're out of the loop??? ;-)"

99.9% of us are "in the loop" even if we don't know what it's called. Haven't you been reading any threads???

Justintime Justintime
Oct '15

Yes, the Mt. Olive A&P is going to begin a liquidation sale, even if it doesn't necessarily close (though it's clearly pretty hopeless)
http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/2015/10/16/liquidation-sale-underway-boonton-p/74045212/

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

A 1999 A&P commercial. The beginning of the end.The new stores and remodels did not bring in new customers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVpfmOfqmvI

Urge
Oct '15

Califon A&P has a banner announcing closing.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '15

Urge-
Strangely, I don't remember that commercial, but from what I've heard, A&P has been in decline since at least the 80s, and this decade and the last has just finished it off. I have to say, I hope someone revives that name some day, it's got quite a bit of history behind it.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

I was at the Belvidere NJ A&P today. The employees told me that the store has no buyers and will close. The store was running out of stock and there were signs all over warning of the closing. Prices were reduced on all grocery items 30 percent off.

Zobo
Oct '15

What happened to your vendor reports Zobo that you're taking the word of the employees? You already said it was a Foodtown after you said how nice a Shoprite it would be. (after you implied Stop and Shop at the very top of the post and Weis supposedly searching for Washington/Belvidere stores in your post 4 days ago)

Well I guess watch and learn as the Shoprite employees go in to buy the 30% off just like everyone else. The real level of interest in any of those stores was zero from day one. The auctions closed after the first of the month as others already pointed out, and no sales.

GC you are the Master Of The World.I actually like it when you abuse me about my comments. Thank Goodness for your blessed opinions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiLXCCMHjfE

Zobo
Oct '15

There probably is interest in those store sites. Nobody wants the union employees that go with those stores. So a smart store owner will let those stores close and buy the real estate at a fire sale bargain. He would then reopen with his own people and no union.

Brad2
Oct '15

Ooooooo!! Talk dirty to me, Consumer. How did you know we met Raymond Burr in Fiji when he was buying his island???

xoxoxoxoxo

GC have you ever considered running to be a judge. You could work like this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_r-fur3Zr0 xoxoxo.

Zobo
Oct '15

Your family are the politicians, not mine.

Califon A&P has everything on sale 5-30% off. There is also a sign saying that all the equipment, shelving, etc., is also for sale.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '15

OnTheEdge-
Any idea on how much the equipment costs? It would be really neat to have an old shopping cart or sign in my newly finished basement

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

@1988lj: haven't stopped in, only seen the signs.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '15

Belvidere A&P starting to look a little empty

MrCharlie
Oct '15

And so it goes. Sorry to see A&P going out of business. Worse yet they bought Pathmark and dragged it down with them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKq4lYPX5P0

Urge
Oct '15

Pathmark Supermarkets deserved better than to be bought and ruined by A&P. This is a commercial from the 1980s when Pathmark ruled the grocery business in the New York marketing area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq2be4oIE0o

Urge
Oct '15

Urge-Pathmark was never in our area, and the ones I've been to are not very nice...certainly I don't miss Pathmark.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

Pathmark in Parsippany was down right disgusting. And that was well before A&P. Pathmark in Deer Park was no better, particularly in winter. You are SO right 1988LJ. They made Netcong look good and modern.

Sorry but Pathmark has never ruled anything......

Oct '15

Pathmark was going down the tubes when A&P made the mistake of bailing them out. Look up Ron Burkle. It remains to be seen if A&P brought them down or vice versa. They both had their problems on either end. It will never be known if A&P would have survived if they never took on Pathmark's mess. Does not matter much now anyway.

Jane Parker
Oct '15

Pathmark was the first store in our area to have an in store bakery, their own florist, and a Barnes and Noble book aisle. My Dad would get a hankering after supper for donuts to go with his tea, and we would have a great time looking at books, getting donuts(and ice cream for me!) What a neat store that was in it's day-that one was in Gillette in the mid-70's.

Pathmark would have survived if the Royal Ahold deal had gone through. Royal Ahold a Dutch company tried to purchase the chain and the deal got shot down by the Federal Trade Commission. Pathmark and parent Supermarkets General Corporation was a powerhouse until the 1987 buyout. Pathmark treated their employees very well. When a Pathmark supermarket set a sales record the company would send the store employees out for a free dinner at a good restaurant. They had holiday parties for the employees. For many years Pathmark and ShopRite had a huge rivalry. Pathmark was once a part of the Wakefern/Shoprite organization. When Pathmark left Wakefern the companies became competitors.Ron Burkle was a turn around artist the company brought in.Burkle had some success with other supermarket chains . He could not unravel or fix the whole A&P/ Pathmark debacle. He tried very hard but the company was too far gone.

Urge
Oct '15

Urge-
I hate to say it, but I feel like your posts are poorly researched and often false...you talk of Pathmark like it was this great store ruined by A&P, when in actuality it was a crap store that has never had a Warren County or western Morris store, poor service and as far as I can remember, terrible prices, whereas A&P has always been a major player in our area, and up until 5-6 years ago was a great store.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

1988LJ , Pathmark was a great company. Pathmark was one of the first supermarkets to embrace scanning technology at its registers. Maybe you should have traveled farther east and visited a few Pathmark stores when they were still a powerhouse chain. The Pathmark of today pales in comparison to what the company was in its prime. A&P markets never re-gained its competitive stance after the restructuring of 1980.They were at best a small player in the supermarket business. And poorly managed at that. The company almost went out of business then except for the sale and lease back of most of the assets that A&P owned. During that time many long term managers fled A&P for other supermarket companies or left the business entirely.Nothing False Here. On another note the new Acme market in Blairstown opens on Friday October 30.

Urge
Oct '15

I shopped farther east for years as a resident of both east of Parsippany and Long Island. When it was a 'powerhouse' trying to undercut the competition but with crappy no-name generic brand lines and dirty stores. What nonsense.

A&P brand for sale too... http://supermarketnews.com/ap-bankruptcy-2015/ap-puts-brand-data-block

Brad2
Oct '15

It's confirmed. Street signs on 46 saying A&P store closing about 5 signs.

RichieRich25 RichieRich25
Oct '15

Need more Wegmans and Trader Joe's, or another market delivering good product at a fair price with employees that actually want to be there...

I live in Belvidere and while I'm sad for the people losing their jobs, I rarely shopped at that A &P SINCE THE prices were so high. We need a store to come in that offers the area something people want to go and shop at. like a farmers market, with fresh food and an updated look. Not sure if anyone's ever been to Valley in Pa. But, they have the nicest selection on fruits & veggies. Counters with fresh fish, meat and a deli. Love going there. But it's a 40 min trip each way.

Caroline Caroline
Oct '15

Urg, Pathmark was once a part of the Wakefern/Shoprite organization. When Pathmark left Wakefern the companies became competitors.,I remember those days. They both flourished. They put the pressure on A&P.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '15

And another Point is A&P was unionized at that point and the others were not.

Old Gent Old Gent
Oct '15

Where is valley food store?

shopper
Oct '15

RIP Budd Lake A&P
1997(?)-2015

1988LJ 1988LJ
Oct '15

Valley food is in Bethlehem, Pa near William Penn Highway off Route 33. It's awesome.

Caroline Caroline
Oct '15

http://www.shopvalleyfarm.com/valleyfarm/mobile.jsp

Caroline Caroline
Oct '15

The irony for the Washington A&P is that they fought so hard to delay the Shoprite opening and now they are folding.

Oct '15

I guess now we know why they fought so hard... they knew they couldn't compete.

ianimal ianimal
Oct '15

As usual GC comes across as a very crass person who comments here. Yes as I mentioned in previous posts Wakefern Food Corporation and Supermarkets General Corporation were both in business together for many years. They separated their business operations in 1968. Both companies went into competition and fought price battles in their stores. The competition between Wakefern/ShopRite and Pathmark was fierce. They drove Acme and the 1970s version of Stop And Shop out of the marketplace. Foodtown was hurt by the price wars by Wakefern /Shoprite and Pathmark. A&P felt the pressure also. I still stand by my comments about Pathmark .They were a well managed neat and clean supermarket chain until Merrill Lynch bought them out in 1987. After the buyout the chain went into deferred maintenance and let the stores go into disrepair.They also pushed out some of the better managers from the company. Merrill Lynch was an investment bank that bought into Pathmark/Supermarkets General Corporation. They had no idea how to run a supermarket business .

Urge
Oct '15

Acme circular comes today -

Spend $100 and get a free turkey??!!!!!!!!! I'm shopping Acme even if it's more of a drive. That's an easy decision. No more $400 or probably $500 next year.

This puts Shoprite to SHAME. Amen for change.

Wow.
GC, can you check your circular and see if they also offer the Tofurky and the Stouffers Lasagne.
Thanks!

happiest girl
Oct '15

Sorry happiest girl, but the coupon for Acme says only your choice of the whole 22 lb turkey, or a 7 lb turkey breast.

OK thanks for checking, GC!
Enjoy your holiday!

happiest girl
Oct '15

Thank you very much - I intend to donate the turkey to Anita's Family Dinner. Volunteered with family last year and will be doing that again. Very worthwhile.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/calendar/2015/11/26#e11190

So that is a free Thanksgiving meal for the community?
I would think alot of single & elderly people would go to that.

happiest girl
Oct '15

happiest girl - All sorts of people go, it's really not so much about the free part as the community. I'm glad I found it last year, and also so did a good half dozen other HL people. So did big families who just don't want to cook for one reason or another. It really is just for absolutely everyone.

Has anyone been to the Washington/Hampton A&P? Is there anything left? I was thinking of going down there on Saturday to see if they have any deals worth buying.

Regarding Anita, I think it's wonderful what she does. Great person with a big heart.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

I drove by the Pathmark in Landing tonight while stopping by another store and found that they are having a closeout sale as well. I could have sworn I saw a handlettered sign that said that CVS was coming to that location. Wonderful. It would have been nice to have had another grocery store there. Pathmark was almost always more expensive and the produce wasn't always fresh, but it was like a large, close convenience store. If you needed something quickly, it was easy to get to.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '15

I stopped into this A&P on Tuesday night and they still had a ton of stuff in there. The discount was between 10%-30% depending on the item. I have to admit though that even with the percentage off, ShopRite was still cheaper. The cashier did tell me that they plan on closing the store completely before thanksgiving. My bet is that as the day’s get closer, they will continue to drop the prices.

Curly1311 Curly1311
Oct '15

10-30% depending on what category of item is the same the Naughright A&P is doing. If it's something you want the 30% items are good, the 10% not so much.

Landing NJ and Rt 15 Jefferson Pathmarks got their closing notices yesterday. The A&P closeout prices will go to 75 percent off by the end of the store closings. GC. The Acme turkey coupon is strictly for a free turkey during the Grand Opening days of the new Acme. You have to spend $100.00 on the first shopping trip. A door buster promotion. What happens to customers who spend $100.00 and would prefer not to get a turkey? Vegetarians might be insulted.No Tofurkey redemption on this promotion.That makes this promotion insulting to Vegans. GC I know with your powers of litigation you can remedy this awkward situation.

Urge
Oct '15

Urge - Normal litigation won't work, it needs State Legislation. That would seem to back in your family's court.

As for vegans, I'm sure not having to spend an additional $300 at Shoprite will buy plenty of tofurkey elsewhere.

When I passed the Rt. 31 A&P yesterday the sign said up to 40% off.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

Are we really discussing if Vegans would be insulted by a free turkey promotion. They could also donate it the food shelter. Good grief just when you think you have heard it all.

Oct '15

A&P Naughright Rd now has up to 40% signs.

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Oct '15

"Good grief just when you think you have heard it all."

Oh Bob, HL can always take it to the next level. Hahaha!

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '15

As usual GC has all the answers . Thank Goodness. For all of GCs advice and criticism. A&P and all the stores associated with the chain will still go out of of business as of November 20 2015. Sorry to see them go .Thanks to Union Locals 464,464A and Local 1262 UFCW most of the NJ A&P employees will have jobs open for them offered by the new companies that bought the stores.There are other Unions that have not been mentioned here and they are hard at work to see the former A&P and company workers get hired at the stores purchased by new owners.Want a memory just look at all the A&P barn stores that are closed all over NJ

Urge
Oct '15

For the edification of the less well informed, the ad Acme is running is their normal company-wide program. It is not a for a grand opening. The turkey promotion was set up long before talk of acquiring their new stores. Judging by the business in the last 2 days at the Blairstown location, it is being very well received.

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Nov '15

What answers, Wegmans is the answer or at least a Trader Joes's. An A&P out and an Acme in, what is the difference...

The Mt. Olive store is a disgrace...well, more than normal. I ran in this morning for cream cheese for our Sunday morning bagels. Almost everything left is still only 10% off, which is still 50% more than Shoprite or Weis. I walked out empty handed.

I'm sorry to see a store close and an empty building, but I'm not sorry to see A & P go.

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Nov '15

I wish everyone would stop thinking Trader Joes and Wegman's are the greatest, most incredible supermarkets in history...not only is it extremely unlikely that one would open out here, but they are not that good....Wegman's is always PACKED and more than once I've found spoiled food on the shelves at Trader Joes...

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '15

The biggest down side to Trader Joe and Wegman is they are both expensive and people wouldn't like them when they got here anyway.

But I also agree with Tracy - so far Mt Olive hasn't reduced prices that much at all. Not worth it at this point.

http://m.newjerseyhills.com/mt_olive_chronicle/news/a-p-in-budd-lake-closing-bidders-fail-so-far/article_85c5b629-c223-5013-acbd-34f7a353848e.html?mode=jqm

It's not entirely hopeless for Mt. Olive A&P but it probably won't be another supermarket, according to this article.

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '15

It wasn't my favorite store, but it was very convenient for me. I was hopeful something else would open there.

I went to Byram Shoprite on my way home Friday from work and it was a zoo. Maybe I hit it at a bad time... it was crowded and the lines were long. The plus side was the great fish counter!

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Nov '15

Guess I'll go to Weis Market. Can't stand ShopRite or Wally World.

4paws 4paws
Nov '15

The Rt. 31 store now has a sign saying "Up to 50% Off".

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

The Naughright A&P has like 4 categories at 50% but most things are 10-20%. If it weren't for the fact that "Pet Accessories" was one of the 50% off sections, it wouldn't have been worth it to me. But one way or the other, the amount of items left is dwindling quickly.

Randolph seems like no one has even noticed there's a sale going on.

Believe it or not, Acme has been increasing their quality and service by leaps and bounds for the past year or two. See, from 2006 to 2012, they were owned by grocery conglomerate SuperValu, who seemed to resent the chain. Despite remodels and the occasional new store, they were content to let Acme go into free fall, having stripped their store brand products of the Acme name, increasing prices and generally being incompetent. Thankfully, Albertsons rebought them and merged with Safeway, which has resulted in lower prices, cleaner stores and better shopping. I follow the unofficial blog Acme Style, and Acme's been bringing in professional cleaners before they open- Blairstown would presumably have had the same process. When I can check out the store, I'll report back.

TheMisterFree TheMisterFree
Nov '15

I was in the A&P on rt 46 near Belvidere NJ on Nov. 10th. Signs say "up to 60% off", but once inside, I saw most stuff was 30% or 40% off the full manufacturer's suggested list price. So a 2 liter bottle of soda at $2.00 would be $1.20 at 40% off. I didn't find much in the way of bargains that I could not match at other stores. The store is mostly empty. There was still spaghetti sauce on the shelf, but at over $7.00 full price for 1 jar, it wasn't discounted enough to fit my budget.

Joe Hartwick Joe Hartwick
Nov '15

So sad about A&P: The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company. It was truly the first "anchor store, stretching its financial arms from the East Coast to the West Coast!

Chapín Chapín
Nov '15

Stopped at the Rt. 31 location today. Not much left. Sign outside says up to 60% off, but most things were only 20-40% off. Most original prices were so high that the discount didn't matter. I did pick up some canned goods and stuff. I spent about $16 for probably $23 worth of stuff. Not that great.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '15

I went to check out Acme in Blairstown last Sunday because I was already out that way. My experience was great!! I was very impressed with the produce and meat departments. The store was super clean, which I appreciate. They do not have a "savings card" and double coupons up to .99 like most stores. The prices were comparable. I spent $102 and received my free turkey breast (you can get a full size turkey if you wish instead if you prefer that) because I had the flyer coupon with me. I appreciate only having to spend $100 rather than $400!! You have to gave the flyer coupon though. The cashier was friendly and helpful. I was thrilled to find out that they kept alot of the staff from A&P therefore there weren't many jobs lost at that store. It's sad to see the large amount of people losing their jobs in our area because of the closing. I wish good luck to all those at the Belvidere, Mt Olive, and Washington stores and hope they find new jobs that have comparable pay.

bepositive bepositive
Nov '15

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/montville/sections/business-and-finance/articles/its-official-acme-is-purchasing-a-and-p-in-boonton

jeffjohn jeffjohn
Nov '15

A&P is officially done and over on November 20,2015. GC who was spreading FUD? The vendors now have to pick up all the remaining empty merchandise pallets and display cases left at the closed stores. All that is left will be left to liquidators.Adios A&P.

ssob
Nov '15

Interesting out of the 6 names you've used on just this thread alone, you need to go back to the one at the beginning of the thread. You'll notice you even admitted it was FUD later when you said A&P's demise was a "prediction" when that's not how you started the thread at all.

However, if you look closely my FUD comment was about the union and ACME keeping their word. Not about store closings after that was made official. If you read the link provided by jeffjohn it refutes the FUD, it says:

"ACME representatives will be at the Boonton store at 10:30 a.m. on Monday morning to provide orientation for all remaining A&P employees," acting store manager George Alfonso said."

Just found out yesterday that the husband of someone I know at work was let go from the HQ in Montvale (didn't know he worked there until yesterday as well)...

Drove past the A&P in Mt. Olive today. Completely closed. It's a shame, it's the first time our area has been without an A&P in at least 60 years.

Rest in peace, A&P

1988LJ 1988LJ
Nov '15

Has anyone heard anything about Weis moving into the Belvidere A&P location?

MB, That's the rumor. I do not believe there is anything official statement from Weis.

2 cents
May '16

Thanks, 2 cents.

There's a Weis about 10 miles away from Belvidere on the PA side. Would they want another one that close together?

ianimal ianimal
May '16

Shop rites are clustered together less than 10 miles

Bug3
May '16

A local from Belvidere called Weis corporate and they did confirm that they are moving in but didn't have a date yet. According to some old workers, the building needs a ton of work - which Weis doesn't seem to be afraid of because they sunk a ton of money into the Flanders location when they moved in there.

mad248 mad248
May '16

How about the A&P location in Mount Olive? Does anyone know what is going in there?

Iluvsnow
May '16

It's more like 20 miles to either the Weis on 209 or 611 in stroudsburg, and not sure if many people would want to pay the toll into PA every time they shop. Living in Belvidere, I'm ready for almost anything to move in here-for us it's either a 20 minute trip to P-burg or Washington. There's also the 2 senior communities in White township, must be especially hard on them.

I heard this as well. I hope it's true. It would be nice to have another decent supermarket option in the area.

Calico696 Calico696
May '16

Jams, there's a Weis on the corner of Uhler Rd and Sullivan Trail in Forks Twp about 10 miles from Belvidere. And there's no toll to cross the bridge.

iphone-imal iphone-imal
May '16

I checked it out ianimal, but it's still about 20 minutes for me, and for folks near Mt. Lake it would be almost half an hour. But thanks for tellling me about it, I like to check out new stores. I've been to the Giant on Sullivan Trail -that's very nice.

yes we were told that Weis is moveing in to belvidere old A&P makes us happy

Caged Animal Caged Animal
May '16

I live in Mt.Lake and pass that Weis in Forks just about every day, and shop there every once in awhile. It takes about 25 minutes to get there, not a hard ride, just what it is.

Besides have a liquor section, because it is a PA store where they can do that sort of thing, I see Weis as nothing but a marginal replacement for A&P. Their prices are really pretty high, just like A&P in Belvidere was and there is nothing inspiring about the Forks Weis that makes me want to stop there to shop.

Glad it is a supermarket maybe filling that void, but I will still be going to other stores to get the bulk of my products, they will be my store of last resort, much like A & P was.

May '16

Not sure..but I thought you had to go to an official government liquor store in pa..not available in supermarkets..they might sell beer though

Bug3
May '16

Regardless of what banner flies over a supermarket in Belvidere, the pricing is going to be at a premium, I would imagine.

There just isn't the population density for them to make their $ on volume, so in order to be profitable, the locals will have to pay a "convenience tax" on the price of their groceries. The question is how much more they're willing to pay to avoid driving to PA, Washington or Greenwich/Pohatcong. Would they be willing to spend $20 more for a cart of groceries to avoid an hour of travel time and the crowds at the Greenwich ShopRite? Maybe... but much more than that and I would say probably not.

ianimal ianimal
May '16

exactly, ianimal, and unfortunately produce and perishable good turnover wasn't high in the AP there. So many fruit flies. Smaller inventory easier to turn would make for a better shopping experience for everyone

kepa
May '16

A & P was always a last resort for me, but at least it was there for emergency items, and I could get in and out a lot faster than Shoprite, especially around the holidays!
What's the matter with a few fruit flies, Kepa? Extra protein ;-) The worst was the smell at the meat counter towards the end-awful! Love to have an Aldis around here- bet that would do really well. Same owners as Trader Joes but cheaper.
Weis will probably be similar price-wise to A & P, same as Acme, which took over Blairstown store. I've been doing some shopping at Stop and Shop in P-burg lately and am fairly happy with their organic and natural store brands, and the prices have dropped. Giant stores have really nice health foods, almost like a health food store within.

So sad the one in my olive and the one on 31 are still empty

As of 2019 the Pathmark supermarket name is undergoing a resurgence.A new Pathmark will be opening in Brooklyn NY.The owners have plans to open more stores in the future.

murof
Feb '19

Better off not having a large shopping/supermarket in the Belvidere area......this is the country..... peace and quiet is rare to come by in NJ and I'm more than happy to just drive the extra 20 mins to stock up on groceries and be able to come home to tranquility....

Snowpocalypse Snowpocalypse
Mar '19

Weis Markets has no plans for either of the closed Washington or Belvidere A&P markets.They turned both locations down .

murof
Jul '19

Amen to that, Snowpacalypse. I’m always confused to hear people who’ve recently moved here from the city area lament about the lack of close shopping. They moved hear to escape the hustle and bustle but want to turn this preserved area into the same concrete and pavement they left. This country boy says “no thanks!”

Consigliere
Jul '19

Hoping Stop and Shop or Acme goes to the Washington A&P as another food store should take that space and it disappointing to see that store vacant for several years now

reisdent08
Jul '19

The landlord at the former A&P market site on Rt 31 Washington wants any new tenant in the building to complete all repairs. Not to easy to get a new tenant under those circumstances.

murof
Jul '19

"The landlord at the former A&P market site on Rt 31 Washington wants any new tenant in the building to complete all repairs."

this is the problem I have with commercial renting. other than whatever damage they might do - if any, why is it the tenant's responsibility to upkeep the building? why would they, say, be responsible for replacing an old roof? this is suppose to be why the landlord collects the exorbitant rent they want.

Just saw on Facebook, Retro Fitness is coming soon to the old A&P Mt Olive.

Angela Angela
Jul '19

Meh...many years ago I used to love shopping at A&P. I shopped there every week back in the 80's when A&P used to be in the Village Green (where Home Goods is now) and then when it moved to the top of Hackettstown mountain. When I started working in Hackettstown, sometimes I'd quickly run to Walmart after work to pick things up and was amazed at the price difference - I mean, REALLY amazed.

I stopped shopping at A&P when I realized I was wasting my money paying too much for items I could buy for much less at the Mansfield Walmart. I missed A&P but just couldn't justify spending $50 or $60 more a month for the same items. You can only be 'loyal' to a retailer for so long without eventually shooting yourself in the foot so I stopped shopping there. I'm always sorry to see any business go under, but it's really not rocket science as to why it happened.

Cathy R Cathy R
Jul '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.