Propane Prices - 2013 -14 Heating Season

Greenworks/Dieter Brothers has jumped to $2.729.
4 years ago they were under $1.99.

I'll use them for the next fill up (next week), but if there are better prices out there, please post them.

Thank you.

4of4
Nov '13

We got a coupon in the mail for $1.99/gal from Region Oil. We're new to this house. We filled up with Greenworks in August for $1.99. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if they can come closer to Region's price. Otherwise we'll go with Region this time, unless there's any shady terms.

Natalie53 Natalie53
Nov '13

I have used Greenworks/Dieter Brothers in the past. I am wondering what other companies are out there.
I used to be a customer of Amerigas and Suburban however, their prices grew to be unaffordable.
Can anyone recommend who to try?
I called Region, and they told me that I had to go on automatic delivery in order to become a customer.

ElizabethHreha ElizabethHreha
Jan '14

Just paid $2.29 for a propane fill from Fairclough in Newton.

http://www.faircloughfuel.com/

Got Propane?
Jan '14

Dieter Bros up to $2.889

I just got off the phone with Fairclough - $3.59 a gallon.

Region is $2.99

Siiiggghhhhh....

4of4
Jan '14

Sigh is right.

It appears that many of the small independent suppliers have been bought up by Suburban and Amerigas. I thought forming monopolies was against the law.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Jan '14

I should have mentioned that I own my 1000 gallon tank. If you've got a smaller tank or have it on lease, the price would probably be much higher.

Got Propane?
Jan '14

There is actually a shortage of propane in the northeast. NJ lifted hours restrictions for delivery drivers. Watch the prices keep going up.

Batman
Jan '14

Amerigas are gougers

First time poster on this forum but saw this thread and wanted to chime in. When i bought my home in White 5 years ago I was required to get my propane through Amerigas since they owned the tank. Needless to say they killed me on the price per gallon. I had the tank removed and another put in which I now own. I'm constantly on the lookout for the lowest prices now and receive my propane from "Modern". They're located in PA but if you're located in Warren county then they will provide service to you. Unfortunately that's the only county in NJ they come out to. Last few years I was filling up at anywhere from $1.65 to $1.89 which is amazing compared to the $3 to $4 per gallon Amerigas was charging me. Unfortunately it went up for this season, but not like those crooks from amerigas/suburban. I just got a refill on Wednesday (1-8-14) at $2.19. Give them a try if you're in Warren County and aren't tied down to another company. Moderngas.com

Vascinating Vascinating
Jan '14

good info, thanks for posting

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jan '14

Thanks for the post. I will contact Modern Gas to see if they will service my tanks.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Jan '14

You're welcome...I hope it all works out for anyone that gives them a call

Vascinating Vascinating
Jan '14

Thank you so much! I called Modern and they're filling us up for $2.41. We have a 500 gal tank. Greenworks wanted $2.89. You saved us $200!

Natalie53 Natalie53
Jan '14

Vascinating - thanks for the information. I live near Hope and have the same issue with Amerigas. Can you provide me with the name of the contractor you used to install the new tank and remove the old one?

Mike L Mike L
Jan '14

What did you pay for your tank? Size? Did you buy it from Modern?

4of4
Jan '14

@Natalie53 - Happy to help you, that's great!

@Mike L and 4x4 - I feel your pain Mike...I ended up calling Precision Propane to unearth Amerigas' tank from my lawn. At the time (2011 I believe) Precision was its own company but about 6 months after they removed it and put another in, I got a letter in the mail saying they were bought out by Suburban. Luckily I didn't have to open an account with Precision otherwise I would have been back to square one after they were bought out.

Precision's terms where that the 1st fill-up with the new tank had to be through them and then I could buy the tank outright or if I couldn't afford to buy it outright then I would have to get my fill-ups from them for the next 5 years and the tank would have been "free". Needless to say I bought my 1,000 gallon tank outright after the first fill-up. The tank (and excavation/installation of the new one) ended up costing me $2,000 and whatever the first fill-up cost which was about another $1500.

I still have the guys name and number who was the owner of Precision and he's the one that removed the original tank. Chances are that he is still doing this sort of work and doesn't work for/with Suburban. At the time, he was asking me to tell anyone I know that was in the same predicament as you currently are, about him. I live in a development and most neighbors of mine all contacted him after I told them. He was a good man and you've got nothing to lose in contacting him. If he can't do it personally he probably knows somebody that can. His name is Doug Toscarrello and his cell # is (484) 892-9038. Let me know how it goes....good luck!

Vascinating Vascinating
Jan '14

if you have a tank from another company, does that company always have to fill? Or can you have another company bring propane?

Summer Summer
Jan '14

None I have talked to would fill a rental tank from a competitor.

4of4
Jan '14

The big companies are crooks. When I purchased my house
Last Nov the owners had just had it filled and paid for it.
When I went to switch it in my name, the company
Wanted me to pay for a full tank even though it was
already paid for.

Kerry Kerry
Jan '14

Kerry they can't do that. I'm sure you paid for it as part of the sale of the property. It's standard procedure I thought to get a tank reading and at closing that gets taken care of. That's how I've done it in the past with oil tanks.

Kerry, when I closed on ny house part of the closing fees were paying the sellers for the propane left in the tank.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Jan '14

No I didn't pay for it at closing and no monies
were put in escrow for it. It was a private sale and
no realtors were used so I had kept track
of every penny.
And I told them it was illegal and they gar me no
answers. Told them to come pick up their tank
and went with another company.

Kerry Kerry
Jan '14

That's what I would have done. Let them take their take and beat it!

Thanks so much for the detailed info Vascinating.

Mike L Mike L
Jan '14

You're welcome Mike...here's wishing you the best on breaking away from Amerigas Cheers!

Vascinating Vascinating
Jan '14

Heard from a friend prices for propane in a couple of days will be double almost 5.00$
for a gallon Due to demand. and the Temp outside. I guess ill have to buy a electric heater. No Way I can afford a delivery at those prices.

Jeff77
Jan '14

Wow what a jump in price

Sallylou
Jan '14

Call Deiter Brothers(former Greenworks) I checked a couple of days ago and I think it was 3.17. Expensive but get it now if you need it. Call Fairclough and see if they are any better.
If you own your own tank you can shop around.
Just as a note, I called Modern and they said they would not service my area as it was too far for them to drive. I hope that they will expand their service in the future.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Jan '14

Good luck to all. I hope the weather warms up soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/25/us/winter-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

@Jeff77 you called it correct on the pricing! We have an Amerigas contract with 1 auto-delivery per year (we only use for cooking so we don't use much) ... cannot lock in pricing of course. They delivered on 1/20/14 and when I received my invoice this weekend they charged $5.12 per gallon. Nuts!!!!!

I can understand high prices for small deliveries because most people don't own their own tank. This is how my delivery guy explained it to me and it made sense.

Say you have a cooking account and use 20 gallons a year...
Company owned tank costs them $150.
Company owned regulator costs $75.
Then they have a truck and driver come to your location to fill it (another expense).
So even if they charge you $5 a gallon and they pay, say $1 a gallon to buy the gas in the first place they make $80. Minus all the expenses they take several years to make a profit.

Now for home heating I think its highway robbery. They have it and you need it and your at their mercy!

Batman
Jan '14

I just ordered from Greenworks/Dieter Brothers it was only $2.82, just passing it along.

a Parent
Jan '14

I see what you're saying Batman ... but we do pay $88 yearly for renting their tank ... and the Amerigas depot is at the end of our street so they drive 3 blocks to deliver it. Regardless of how much we use I still think it's nuts @ $5.12 gallon. Since natural gas is not an option in our area we are looking into whether or not it will be cheaper in the long run to buy our own tank or changeover to electric stove. Anyone needing propane for cooking, heating, etc. is definitely at their mercy.

For those of us with Amerigas for residential propane, have you received your price program for 2014-2015?

mike l mike l
Jun '14

Still waiting. Usually have it by now.

Redwing
Jun '14

I received mine. $3.88/gal. It pains me to pay the propane bill every year.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Jul '14

Just had our residential tank filled (Amerigas)- 3.55 gallon. I wasn't able to find the market price, but does this seem like a reasonable price? We were a bit surprised it was so high in the summer, but haven't been able to figure out what the actual market price is right now.

Frustrated! Frustrated!
Aug '14

Paid up front and got $2.99 from Suburban.

ShouldBeRetired ShouldBeRetired
Aug '14

Dieter Bros (Green Works) is Price Per Gallon: $2.479

4of4
Aug '14

4of4-is there a minimum gallon required for that price?

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Aug '14

Amerigas=Amerigreed. Total ripoffs, the theives know what their doing! How do some of them sleep at night, or on the job?

fitter fitter
Aug '14

Has anyone shopped propane for this season? I own my own tanks and I have checked dieter brothers. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there.

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Sep '14

Greenworks delivered on Thursday. 2.31 a gallon. They said price will go up by Oct 1

I just called Greenworks/Dieter Brothers and paid $2.15 a gallon.

Justthoughts
Sep '14

Thank you. I think I will give them a call.

Checking in to see what people have been paying for propane recently.
Thanks

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Jan '15

Greenworks about a month or so ago I paid $2.13. Figured that was a good price since Amerigas charged my mom $4.26. It pays to own your own tank

Ollie Ollie
Jan '15

Greenworks/Dieter Bros is $2.179 today

We rent a tank from them. $15/month for 325 gallon tank.

4of4
Jan '15

Just got my Amerigas renewal for the 2015-2016 new season. They are showing $3.50/gal. I have a 500 gallon tank. Pricing seems out of line with 2014/2015. Any info? Thanks.

mike l mike l
Jun '15

I noticed it went down this year. While it's not as low as I would like, I'll take the .39 decrease.

smilingbecs smilingbecs
Jun '15

Can anyone explain why propane is so much more expensive than fuel oil?
I just got an order of heating/ fuel oil for 2.10 a gallon and that is up from a few weeks/months ago. I thought that was high!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jun '15

I just switched from AmeriGas after having them for 17 years and they had given me a new locked-in rip-off price of $3.50/gallon for the next year. It was $3.59 last year plus all the freaking fees involved. I now have Advantage Propane out of the Califon/Flemington area. It's a smaller company and I dealt with the owner directly and he completely worked with me. Chris Colson of Hackettstown Oil referred me to them. I just got the new tank and they filled it. I believe it's about $2.09/gallon. AmeriGas just took their tank away and want to charge for that.

Done That Done That
Jun '15

As of a few weeks ago, the price at Eastern Propane was $2.19/gallon. They don't send out the pre-buy rate for the next heating season until late August.

FarmerJake FarmerJake
Jun '15

I have had Eastern Propane for 10+ years ..always competitive prices, great service , great people !
And a family owned business !!

Steven Steven
Jun '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.