Motion to lift ban on overnight parking

Council members approved the introduction of a motion that could potentially abolish an ordinance that bans overnight parking on all streets in Hackettstown.

Enforcement of the overnight parking ordinance that prohibits vehicles from parking on all town streets from 3 a.m. to 4 a.m. takes place each year from Oct. 1 through May 1, and council said this will be in effect until the law is changed.

Council proposed a new ordinance that would allow residents to park registered vehicles on the streets at night, but would ban commercial vehicles and trailers from parking overnight from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.

The original ordinance dates back prior to 1970 and entailed a year-round ban on overnight parking, Councilman Leonard Kunz said. The ordinance was then amended to exist during the snow season, but Kunz said this is no longer necessary because of changes in snow management equipment.

Gerald DiMaio Jr. said that the public will be able to comment on the potential change at the regularly scheduled meeting on Thursday, Oct. 24, at 7:30 p.m.

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2013/10/hackettstown_council_motions_t.html

I'm not totally against the ban i just think it is too long. Nov 1st thru Feb 28th would be fine with me. Allows car to be off the streets during the heavest snow months. Nothing worse then having a car on the side of your road and the blow has to go around them.

but if they want to remove it all together i'm fine with that too!!

darwin darwin
Oct '13

OMG I would so be for this! Its about time. We try to juggle who has to get out first in the morning. This would make it so much easier. Plus sometimes I forget or am too lazy to park the car. LOL

Christine Christine
Oct '13

Trust me I have lived in towns that allow parking on the streets 24 hours a day all of the time,, it's not a pretty site, people leave cars that don't run parked on the streets forever,,they may be registered but a real eyesore, also I can't believe they can efficiently and effectively plow our streets during snow storms, the streets would not be as safe and clean and I am sure overtime would go up because of having to maneuver around parked cars,, we have a beautiful town and clean streets, and this is one sure way to downgrade our environment,, lets keep the good thing that we already have,,

BlueFishEd BlueFishEd
Oct '13

According to the ordinance you still cannot park on the street during snowfall which is a smart move to stop that Darwin.

Christine Christine
Oct '13

You can park on the street over night but you must call your car in.

Happy2Seeyou Happy2Seeyou
Oct '13

Best news I've heard in ages..I just hope if it changes that it's implemented quickly and that I don't have to wait until next year.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

I have never been so excited about something in town as this potential for not having to call in cars every night from October thru April! When it snows, I will gladly park elsewhere but if not, please just let me park in front of MY house without having to call the car in!

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Oct '13

I'm with you 100% Walking Girl..truly a happy day for me if they end that part of my daily routine from October 1st to May 1st. I will, of course, miss talking to the dispatcher nightly, but I think they can handle it.

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

Reading this just made my weekend!!! I

Johnny pops
Oct '13

BlueFishEd probably has a six car garage and only two cars

eapos eapos
Oct '13

Opps said the snow plow driver wow only hit three cars to night lol

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '13

Does anyone know what happened last night at the meeting? I tried to look online but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks

Skipper Skipper
Oct '13

Ordinances were adopted last night. Will most likely take effect November 1st but not yet official.
A news release will be going out shortly to the Town web site, press, facebook and nixle explaining the repeal of overnight parking ban and the establishment of revised overnight parking requirements as noted by the original poster (Jim).

Townie Townie
Oct '13

News release out will take effect midnight Nov 1 hooray

eapos eapos
Oct '13

so what's nixie??

nails nails
Oct '13

Nixle is the communications system the PD uses to send out phone, email, and text alerts.

Thanks G

Nails Nails
Oct '13

Made my day yesterday when I saw Townies post, and double made it when I saw it on the Hackettstown Police FB page...

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

So glad to see this!! Made my day :)

Sunshine Sunshine
Oct '13

Re: Motion to lift ban on overnight parking

This is an interesting addition to the new rule:

"(c) No trailer shall be parked on any public street, highway, or thoroughfare in the Town of Hackettstown at any time. "Trailer" shall be defined as any vehicle with or without motive power designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle."

What type of trailers are they targeting here? Farm trailers? Just about every other type places some weight on the towing vehicle.

Do we really have a farm trailer problem in Hackettstown? What about trailers designed to be pulled by horses?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '13

Mark - I thought that most townships have a ban on street parking of trailers and recreational vehicles. By recreational, I mean boats, RVs and the like.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

By their definition, boats and RV's are OK, since those trailers typically place weight on the tow vehicle.

Even if that is their intent, the way the law is written, you can't park it on the street for 30 seconds to run inside, pick up a friend, or shuffle cars around your driveway.

What about landscapers? Can't park in front of the job site anymore?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '13

Good point about landscapers.

In the town where I grew up, you weren't even allowed to park a recreational vehicle in your driveway. You could get a fine if people complained about it. If you had a boat, RV or trailer, you had to park it in a garage or store it somewhere else.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '13

I'm guessing their intent is to prevent long term (even overnight) parking of unattended/un-hooked/commercial trailers on public streets.

However, I have zero-tolerance for poorly written laws (especially one so uncomplicated as parking trailers on a street). They try so hard to word them in a generic way that they actually avoid describing the situation that initially prompted the law.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '13

While calling my car in tonight I tried to confirm with the dispatcher that Thursday is the last night I have to call it in and she wasn't aware of the change so she checked for me. She said they have not be told of any change in the ordinance yet even though I told her it was mentioned in the FB page. Just a heads up that you might still need to call it in even after Nov 1 just to be safe.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '13

Thanks for the heads up jrsemom..

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

The Town will be notifying the 911 Communication Center of the change. More importantly, the Hackettstown Police Department, who enforces all Town Code, Chapter 13 Ordinances, is aware of the changes and the effective date.

Townie Townie
Oct '13

Thank you for the update Townie.

jrsemom jrsemom
Oct '13

Your welcome. No worries....

Townie Townie
Oct '13

bet the crime rate goes up. it was a good ordinance

How does the crime rate go up just because people don't have to call their car in any more?

Bessie Bessie
Oct '13

I'm sure it was a good ordinance for people who don't live in Hackettstown. People who don't know the same nightly sweeps are going to happen so there's no change in coverage no matter what the ordinance is.

What's the updated regulations on overnight street parking?

Htown987 Htown987
Nov '15

Park any night, all night. The exception is when there is a parking restriction due to an impending or ongoing snow event.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.