Dilapidated trailer on 517, Allamuchy

I am just curious, what's the story with that old dilapidated trailer on the side of the road on rte 517 north in, I think, Allamuchy. Recently I noticed yellow tape around it and the door is opened..

Curiously
Sep '13

Wow! I've no idea but I do know that's it's been there for years. I always wondered about that trailer.

positive positive
Sep '13

It's been there a looooong time. I remember that it caught on fire, maybe 8-9 years ago.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '13

noticed the door opened for the first time - think it's a photo op for those of us who like old rusty and crusty

noname noname
Sep '13

Should be removed if you ask me

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '13

There was a family living in it with children within the last 5 years or so (give or take). I pass it everyday and remember seeing something going on like them packing up and leaving it. I believe they were (for lack of a better term) evicted. Maybe due to safety issues or who knows I'm just totally speculating which doesn't really help anybody but just trying to shed some light on it.

I have always said it would be nice and should be removed however that cost money and someone would have to pay to have it removed so I guess it will remain there until it is engulfed in nature.

slippery when wet slippery when wet
Sep '13

This post reminds me of another trailer that was in Independence Twp at the intersection of Water St/Petersburg Rd and Ryan Rd a couple years back. The next door neighbor was so fed up with the overgrown property that he put out some sort of large sign saying "Is this what my tax dollars go towards?" or something like that. Anyone else remember that?

I'm sure the owners of the large house for sale right after it (if coming down from 80) would love to see it removed.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '13

I can't help but to feel sorry for that poor family.....I had no idea that people lived there.

positive positive
Sep '13

Yeah, I feel bad for any family so desperate they had to live there. How long ago was it; maybe it was before it went on fire. (Someone wrote that it went on fire a number of years ago).

Curiously
Sep '13

The fire was in the late 2000s and the family lost everything. I wish I knew where they are now. But, it's still their property, and I'm sure they don't have the money to clear it out, nor any buyers. So, there it sits. The town just can't take it, and it makes no sense to condemn and buy the land either. Enjoy the view...

Old Glory Runs Deep Old Glory Runs Deep
Sep '13

Vic, I do remember that. Reading the title of the topic, I thought of that one right away. Eventually the property was cleaned up and I believe the trailer was removed. I always wondered what the story was with that.

Vic,

I remember that too. It was cleaned up almost immediately!

I found the original thread concerning the neighbor's sign! Wow three years ago:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/214254

The trailer is being removed! I wonder if the property sold?

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Apr '14

Yes the property is sold.Cant wait to shop at Wegmans !

jerseycash5
Apr '14

Drive thru CVS would be nice

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

I heard it was going to be an Olive Garden. Look out Mattar's, the competition will be fierce!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

nah calico ---strip mall with strippers

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

My vote is for a Quick Chek / Rite Aid / pizzaria combo.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '14

Bergen Tool is looking to move back to town. Good location, close to Quick Check and CVS, plus many pizza places that deliver.

John C John C
Apr '14

someone told me it will be a landfill - making it easy for us to dump stuff

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

A nail salon would be nice.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Apr '14

Maybe Cara Mia found their new location?

Aquarius Aquarius
Apr '14

Another DD! NO!!!!!

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

what ever is going there will be nicer than that eye sore

Poppy Girl
Apr '14

Is that actually commercial property?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Apr '14

It was an eye sore but at least it wasn't a boring CVS or other cookie cutter chain store or McMansion. All the towns in NJ are starting to look the same. Also consider that a trailer can be considered affordable housing and a trailer that is not in a trailer park is more desirable. Replacing with another trailer would be nice, perhaps as a grandfathered use there.

Wendy Wendy
Apr '14

Re: Dilapidated trailer on 517, Allamuchy

Sheetz Convenience stores are looking over property near by this trailer. They are looking to make a move into this part of NJ. They are also looking at different sites in the area.

from
Apr '14

@ from I hope that sheetz does move in there. the sign says diesel 1.79 a gal. WOW they got cheap gas.

Isn't that property in the Highlands Preservation area?

Citizen
Apr '14

Let's see how long it takes for somebody to say "let's put a Wegman's or a Trader Joe's there!" Lol.

But in all seriousness, I have never seen the trailer, probably in part to the fact that I'm afraid of basically all of warren county, except for Hackettstown, Mansfield , and Washington. A little bit because of "Deliverance" and a little bit because of Wierd NJ magazine.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Apr '14

That site is not good for any commercial development. It is right at the top of where the two northbound lanes on 517 merge into one.

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '14

After a little Google Street Viewin', turns out that I do know what you're talking about. I thought it was past panther valley. And it makes me sad that some poor people had to live there, essentially embarrassing themselves in front of all those people. We always remember the people in places like south side of Chicago or Detroit, but we forget people who don't live in clusters of the impoverished-but rather in small homes on the sides of roads or in the woods.When was the last time you thought of the people who lived in the tiny house across from Ruby Tuesdays. I wish we could do something to help people like that.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Apr '14

I'm haunted by the woman who posted in the classifieds here needing diapers and baby food - aren't there resources out there somewhere?

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

So people that live in tiny houses are poor ? And I will bet all those Mc Mansions in long valley are filled with millionaires.

jerseycash5
Apr '14

5catmom- The WIC program supplies baby food, formula, cereal, etc. As far as I know it's quite easy to get on that program.

Good point jerseycash5, I'm sure there are many people who live in large homes and drive expensive cars that are not rich but live beyond their means..maybe trying to keep up with the Jones's and being overly pretentious? Their image might supersede serious debt. Lol

As far as living in a run down home, my first reaction is empathy for the occupiers, but who knows they could be eccentrics and living way below their means.

As the old saying goes, corny but true, don't judge a book by it's cover. Lol

positive positive
Apr '14

5catmom- I found the ad you were referring to and I sent her the link for the WIC program. I hope she gets the help she needs.

positive positive
Apr '14

I remember driving past when the trailer was on fire. I believe someone passed away because of the tarps they had. -- I am assuming they didnt have the money to clean it up after the fire.

Lngvly22-why do you feel bad for the people across from Ruby Tuesday? Because their house is small?

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

I love my small house! I could certainly buy a bigger one, but there is no need, my garage is bigger then my house!!! It's so much easier to clean!

Darrin Darrin
Apr '14

Drove by about 2 days ago and it was demolished.

Chopper77 Chopper77
Apr '14

Me too Darrin. Will inherit a much bigger one, in time, but for now, we are cozy. Nothing wrong with a small home.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Lngvly22, it amuses me that you're afraid of most of Warren County. You may be a perfect example of an elitist who should not have moved here. Perhaps they were proud of their trailer or tiny house, proud to not be living in an apartment and under the control of a landlord. Too bad you didn't move to someplace more to your liking. I would recommend Basking Ridge or someplace nearby there for you.

Wendy Wendy
Apr '14

Problem is that trailers attract tornados. They are tornado magnets. It's a proven fact.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

+1 Wendy. By her thread name, she doesn't even live in Warren Cty. Please, stay in Morris Cty. Elitist not welcomed here.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

She? I'm a dude, Botheredbyuu, and a straight one, thank you very much.
And I was joking when I said I was "afraid". Really what I was getting at is that in some parts of Warren, there are some creepy woods and houses that are a bit odd. Don't take it personally, and please note: I like some parts of Hackettstown and Mansfield better than Long Valley!

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Apr '14

Ooops...sorry Lngvly22. My apologies. ;)

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Htownfourm, I cant seem to find the LIKE button.

coldout coldout
Apr '14

As usual people are missing the point of the welfare system. It's supposed to be a temporary solution to a temporary problem. Not a way to make a living and not a way to support a few more kids born after you are on it. I don't think anyone is against people using it how it was intended. At least I'm not.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '14

Driving around the back roads of Allamuchy and Great Meadows at night has made me think of Texas Chainsaw Massacre before. It's especially scary when I have to go to the bathroom and I don't know what's around the corner (usually just more trees).

They don't call it Shades of Death Road for nothing.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Apr '14

Wendy, are you insinuating that people from Basking Ridge are elitist? Thanks.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '14

Tracy, not at all. I know quite a few nice down-to-earth people from Basking Ridge. The area just doesn't have the type of little homes and woods that some people consider "creepy." It does, however, cost more to live there, with rents and property values being much higher.

Wendy Wendy
Apr '14

I heard the trailer's location is CVS's backup plan

Darrin Darrin
Apr '14

So let me guess, Shoprite turns down every WIC check because one of their employees has a problem with it. Yeah, sure.

holy crap ---how do you all know so much about who gets wic?? smh!

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

@5catmom, because people here know everything, have you not caught onto that yet? Whenever I want to see the worst in people, this is where I come. On the other hand, sometimes when I need to see the best in people, this is where I come too!

Bessie Bessie
Apr '14

As far as WIC goes, my daughter is a cashier at Shop-Rite and has told me of some of her experiences.

WIC checks will only pay for specific items. A number of WIC users routinely try to buy foods not approved for WIC reimbursement. This causes a lot of delays in checkout since the item has to be returned to the shelf and/or switched for an approved item.

If a cashier makes a mistake and the store is not reimbursed, he/she gets a warning. Two more mistakes at any time in the future gets you fired, no matter how long you've been working there or how good an employee you are.

The WIC users who make mistakes can do so as many times as they like, complain about the delays that they themselves caused and suffer no consequences.

You can thank your elected leaders for setting up these welfare programs that encourage so much class warfare. Then again, that's what they want. It keeps us all distracted from all the other evil they are doing.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Apr '14

Yea check out these freeloaders just popping out kids and collecting free money instead of going out and getting a real job. Lazy bums

http://m.startribune.com/?id=253426901

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070787/Wealthy-couple-live-1-2m-home-drive-Jag-claiming-benefits-years.html

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

If you were my employee and made three mistakes regarding MY money then you too would have consequences. IT is your JOB as the cashier to know what is covered and what isn't. I know in today's world its hard to imagine that a job might actually have consequences if you don't do it right. And BTW I have seen PLENTY of customers in S/R with coupons that have them all screwed up ~ buying the wrong item, the wrong size, expired, etc. that hold up the line FOREVER ~ so don't just blame the people on WIC who might need a little assistance to get them through a bad period. MAYBE just MAYBE they haven't been on the program forever and are just learning what is covered and what isn't. There but for the GRACE of God

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '14

So....we should help feed hungry families who are down on their luck? Why? Because the shopright cashiers can't do their job correctly? Or because Shopright has a draconian three strikes and your out policy. Ah...I'm not sure that's quite logical.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '14

I just love how when WIC, SNAP, etc. come up, the concept of fraud-without-facts soon follows. This time it's the anecdotal info from a SR cashier with line delays due to improper WICage. Personally, my problem is line delays due to improperly trained cashiers, but to that point, perhaps said cashier would love to be customer-focused with solutions rather than laments.

Each state has a different list of accepted products; Indian Reservations and other entities have lists too. Here's NJ's: http://www.state.nj.us/health/fhs/wic/documents/foodlist_en.pdf Note that it's a handy pamphlet than anyone can print ezee, pzee.

Now if this cashier wants to help, just man-up, be proactive, and make the suggestion to management that it would be a valuable customer benefit if cashiers had some of these pamphlets they could add to the pile of paper they hand out at the end of the transaction to malevolent WICers who don't know/follow the rules. Cashier gets a raise for recommendation, WICers get the rules, and other customers suffer less delays.

Meanwhile, SNAP fraud has fallen to about 1-cent per dollar (1%) in the latest reporting period, 2006-2008. The previous reporting cycle was at about 4%. Theat number includes stores in violation, a large proportion of the fraud (oh, wait, it's not the little people....) Here's the fraud facts and what's being done about it. http://www.fns.usda.gov/fraud/what-snap-fraud.

Personally, I would love to see many of these investigators chasing Wall Street fraud instead.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '14

5catmom - Some of them (or at least one) works for Shoprite and sees it.

I just love how the experience of one person - with zero statistics - makes the case for some posters.................and, as we all know, everyone can find statistics to bolster their own arguments - I totally agree with mistergoogle - go after wall street - go after corrupt politicians - go after the public employees who no longer work because they are "disabled" - while they are often filmed don't things way more strenuous than their jobs - or working other jobs ---I'd far rather help those who are having hard times - at the market - will a few who maybe shouldn't be helped - than those who screw all of us.

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

I a agree, replacing the little trailer with a new one would be a nice little affordable home for someone.

Curiously
Apr '14

5catmom, I'm sorry I even mentioned it. I should have known that some people would jump all over it. Next time I will just send you a PM.

positive positive
Apr '14

Mistergoogle, I am a cashier at another grocery store. Yes, there are pamphlets that are given to the WIC recipient with their WIC folder (and the cashiers are given booklets with the same info). Doesn't matter what is listed on the pamphlet, the cashier is only allowed to ring up what is listed on the check. If we screw up on one item on the check, payment for the entire check is rejected. I have had customers scream at me because they couldn't get the desired item. One guy wanted whole milk (check indicated that he was allowed to get 2%, 1% or Fat free")...boy did he go off on me. Had another customer who wanted Baccardi drink mix (because that was juice in his mind). Customers that want cheeses/cereals that are not on the improved list. I could tell tales that would make your head spin.

Nancy Nancy
Apr '14

Jerseycash5-I've been in some of those mcmansions and I laugh everytime, because A LOT of them are barely furnished. Those people are "house poor". Can barely pay the mortgage, and can't afford anything else.

botheredbyuu
Apr '14

Thanks for your relating your story Nancy. Sounds very much like my daughter's experiences.

BTW, my daughter got her first strike because she helped un-screw-up another cashier's (huge) mistake of allowing all sorts of unauthorized items on the check. She actually got a thank-you card from her manager for helping her fellow employee.

Trouble was, in all the confusion, the WICee who started the mess never bothered to sign the check and the guv'ment rejected it.

Strike one against my daughter because of two people's ignorance and a system that is broken because the powers-that-be want it that way.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Apr '14

Waited in-line behind a wic mom....mom probably in her late 20's, holding a little girl just less than a year old. The cashier advised her that a certain item she had was not wic approved , not approved!!! Wow I felt sorry for the cashier, the woman got nasty, the cashier told her the item that would qualify they were out of. The woman was so nasty again to the cashier. As I was waiting I also noticed a pregnancy kit with her order, really lady!!! Oh did I mention the whole time she was also talking on her iphone5! When I finally left the store the woman was getting into her BMW SUV !!! I know who am I to judge, but how could it not!

Outsider Outsider
Apr '14

Outsider, it is sad to see that some people take advantage of government help. Help is suppose to be for when you need help, its should not be used as a handout or taken advantage of, people like that are who will end up bankrupting the program. The government should be more aware of where its money is going with drug tests and random screening. If you want the help, that should be the proceedures to get it.

Curiosity, great idea, although in our area all homes are affordable, its the property that isn't. I could of bought my house and set up a tent on my property for the price I paid. (Meaning I basically paid for the property) If you ever get a chance look at a assesment. Houses are sometimes less 1/3 of the property cost.

Darrin Darrin
Apr '14

In my opinion, NO money should be given by the government to citizens unless they are in physical danger. If Churches, synagogues, charities, etc want to give money, they should get tax breaks, but we shouldn't be paying for some illegal's food.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Apr '14

it sure is swell how many of you generalize from an experience or two and assume it represents an entire group of people - smh again

5catmom 5catmom
Apr '14

What kind of tax breaks should churches get? Considering they are already tax exempt I curious what kind of more tax breaks they should get?

Darwin Darwin
Apr '14

I totally agree with you 5catmom, but I wouldn't waste my energy on such ignorance.

I try to keep in mind..there are many unbiased, open minded people out there, we are just not seeing much of it on here...anonymity maybe?

Boy, I certainly opened up a can of worms. :(

positive positive
Apr '14

bbu - "Those people are "house poor". Can barely pay the mortgage, and can't afford anything else."

Funny you said that. I remember when I applied for my first mortgage. I qualified for a mortgage that would have been almost my entire take home pay. Really? Was the bank just hoping to foreclose later on? I guess people don't need to pay for utilities, cars, food, retirement, etc. Of course, lots of people took full advantage of their approvals and maxed out their mortgages. We all know how that story ended.

I had a co-worker who had her heat at 60F because she and her husband (both with very good salaries) had a 5K sq ft house and couldn't afford the heating bill. Granted, it was electric but seriously, with 2 good salaries and you can't afford to heat your house?

I'm so glad my parents taught me to manage my money properly.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '14

Emaxxman, you are totally right about mortgages, when I was approved, I too was approved for the full amount of what my salary could handle. I guess some people are not aware that the bank is not in the buisness of doing your full financial calculations for you, they are simply telling you what loan you can afford.

And electric heat on a house that big could bankrupt almost anyone, they were probally paying enough in their electric bill each month that they could of installed a more cost efficient heat source In two months bills

Darrin Darrin
Apr '14

5catmom......time to take off your rose colored glasses! The wic program is a flawed system, taken advantaged by some and needed life support for others. I as a taxpayer have every right to express my opinion, as for my previous post the incident was disturbing but I have also witnessed family's that have a genuine need. I didn't know her total circumstance but the total experience left me disgusted. So yes I judged her and I can bet other would have also. By the way your accusing others of exactly what your doing stereotyping !

outsider outsider
Apr '14

It would be really nice to have a grocery store here... Even a small one. It's odd to me that neither allamuchy nit hackettstown have a grocery store. But 3 quick checks is no prob haha!!

NoUseForAname NoUseForAname
Apr '14

Yes the WIC, along with Welfare and Unemployment programs are rife with abuse. Do some people need them, sure, I needed unemployment for a while, but I worked quickly to get off it and hated every minute I was collecting from the state instead of earning it myself. Sure, there are single mothers with kids that need the help, but there are just as many, I've seen first hand, that are lazy, don't even try to get a job and stay on the programs because they know it's free money and they can just stay home all day and collect a check to support their kid. The unemployment is a problem too, because for a lot of people there doesn't seem to be a sharp cut-off where the state says "enough! go get a job!"...there's always some other avenue someone seems to go to keep getting a check once unemployment runs out. When I had to rely on unemployment, though, it was kind of embarrassing. You had to go to this really run-down office in Dover, sit in groups, fill out all this paperwork and listen to some moron drone on about how the state has all these resources to get you a job - none of which work or guarantee placement in anything. Then, you were supposed to submit forms every 2 weeks with the information for at least 6 places (3 per week) you applied to, the person you spoke for, and the contact info, which most of the time these days there are barriers you have to go through before you are ever interviewed, automated systems that score your resume and application and reject it quietly if it's not what the company is supposedly looking for, whatever. Then at the Dept of Labor you get basically ridiculed for what's in your resume, even though you follow every accepted practice for your profession. And you have to remember to call in every two weeks for your claim, and hope the phone lines aren't too busy. And more power to you if you have to sign into the website and forget your login info. you're pretty much screwed then.

If there's any chance of getting A job, do it, get yourself off wel-farce, even if it means taking a demeaning job with high school kids at Mickey-D's.

Elliot Elliot
Apr '14

Went by the trailer location yesterday, it was gone...

mammadone mammadone
Apr '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.