Newburgh Rd. to close for one year during bridge replacement

Starting on or around Sept. 3 -

http://longvalley.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/newburgh-road-to-close-for-one-year-during-bridge-replacement

I can't believe that job is going to take a year. One has to wonder why these small construction jobs take so long to complete. Unreal.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '13

they drag it out to justify the outrageous cost.....unreal for sure! and they will have 10 guys standing around watching.....

Hastings Hastings
Aug '13

deja vu. I hope they lengthen the left turn arrow by Mine Brook.

If I remember rightly...didn't they replace that bridge like 8 or 10 years ago??

What did they replace it with?... A throwaway bridge?

Oh!... they will be married to that for a year. All the BS federal inspectors, and dep
gcda...bhtb...and all the silly @$$...tie ups!

A real shovel ready project from what I could smell!

embryodad embryodad
Aug '13

I was just thinking the same thing Maja....

EG_1982 EG_1982
Aug '13

These comments are ignorant and disappointing. For shame! No, they didn't replace that bridge 10 years ago; they put in temporary repairs so it could get by. Second, the cost isn't outrageous, it's pretty standard for this project. Third, no one is going to stretch this out longer than it needs to be. Rt. 57 was done quickly. It's easier to give a longer timeframe so local businesses and PDs can plan. Fourth, this is not being done to you personally to drain your wallet of tax dollars. This bridge is 105 years old, it needs replacement. Nothing lasts forever, and I think 105 years is a pretty good run.

Lou Skunt Lou Skunt
Aug '13

Thanks for the facts Lou. 105 years is a very good run!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '13

Interesting how quickly Rt57 got done.... and HOW BLOODY LONG the bridge on Old Turnpike took (the one across from Watters)....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '13

Rt 57 did not get done quickly. And soon they will be starting another headache up near Heiser Rd. SMH! I understand they have to be repaired/replaced, but don't understand why it takes so long. I guess if I were in the business I would, but when you live right near it and have to detour 3-4 times a day, it gets to be a real PITA!! JMO!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

LOL! Nice name Lou.

Trebor
Aug '13

The bridge replacement/reconfiguration on 31 in Hampton has been going on for at least two years now. That said, one year doesn't seem so bad. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '13

At least the Rt 31 construction never detoured traffic. Just shifted the lanes for north and south bound.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

I actually thought they finished the Rt. 57 projects pretty fast, though I wasn't inconvenienced by the detours every day. It does seem like they were completed in only a few months. Also, I don't think the Rt. 57 detour caused as much traffic as the closure of Newburgh is going to. I remember when they reinforced the bridge a few years ago, the traffic backed all the way up Schooley's. This will inconvenience me every day, so I really hope they can finish it faster than a year.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '13

Your are right Tracy. Newburgh will definitely back up traffic.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

Rt. 57 project finished ahead of schedule. Newburgh road is a very busy road and will definitely be tougher.

Christine Christine
Aug '13

Rt57 isn't a busy road???

And if they're CLOSING Newburgh, which means detouring traffic, how busy newburgh is regularly will be irrelevant.

Aug '13

Try living near the Rt 57 construction during that time. It may have been ahead of schedule, but it was definitely too long for the residents.

Newburgh will be tough, but not tougher then Rt 57. Rt 57 is a lot busier.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

i realize no one here made the decision, but, why not start a road project as soon as school ends? traffic is less in the summer, why not use that time to start up road work? instead, just as traffic gets worse, it will get much worse. ugh

Ken E
Aug '13

It took one year and 54 days to complete the Empire State building. There is no reason this tiny bridge over a little river couldn't be done in a week or two.

Ha RJ-- You have not built anything in NJ huh? LOL. I agree it's a farce to think it will take that long for a bridge that size to be replaced.

pipe down, it's complicated. consider yourselfs lucky.

tony from lv
Aug '13

The last time the newburgh bridge was temporarily fixed it caused nightmares on the detour routes because the lights didn't synchronize for the huge surge in detour traffic...that's what makes this year's worth of work stink.

denise denise
Aug '13

My daughter goes to Kiddie U and I have pick up and drop off timed to be able to get to work on time. It's now going to take longer than I prob can manage everyday.

Sigh. I liked Kiddie U.

NJMom3 NJMom3
Aug '13

Its complicated Tony? I have to assume your joking.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '13

Hey Lou is someone suppose to take you seriously with that name? Speaking of shame!

Painkiller
Aug '13

I don't think NJDEP was involved when they built the Empire State Building, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

RJ

+1

Be nice if they pulled the old partial dam just upstream down while they are in there. Clear out a canoeing nuisance and potential threat to the new bridge, and actually do some good for the health of the river with little additional effort.

Agust Agust
Aug '13

Is it still open? Or closed...when will it close?

vous
Sep '13

It's down to one lane at the bridge right now so not too bad. I'll take that over a closed road.

NJMom3 NJMom3
Sep '13

Road was still closed entirely at 4pm yesterday, what a mess to get onto Schooleys from Newburgh. Schooleys backed up from light at golf course area to way beyond Newburgh. If this is a taste of what is to come, they better put up one of those temporary lights as used during the Airport/Rockport Rd detour.

OnlyChild OnlyChild
Nov '13

I agree. Also, the town needs to make the left turn signal from Schooleys Mt Rd. onto Rt 57 longer. Currently it lasts for 3 seconds, not allowing enough cars to make it through the light. What a mess.

DC100 DC100
Nov '13

Why not prefab the bridge while the site is being prepared. Then just drop in place and do it in half the time.

DiaHill Res2 DiaHill Res2
Nov '13

And this project is not even part of the bridge replacement project. This project was moving a gas main under the bridge so they can replace the bridge. It was only supposed to take two weeks but they ran into trouble.

Steve-0 Steve-0
Nov '13

I'm not sure of the process but a traffic study had to be done at some point in time-it was probably done when it was planned that a traffic light would have been installed at Schooley's/Newburgh(remember-for the BIG development that was going in on that corner?)!

The traffic signal at Schooley's/Mtn Ave/57 (call it minebrook) definitely needs to be retimed by the DOT before this begins. When the ewburgh bridge was closed because of flooding two years ago traffic would backup almost to the General Store sometimes and some of that could be alleviated if the left turn signal was extended some (it'll never be perfect-just too many cars)

Typically in these scenarios, regular local commuters will avoid the area some over the first few weeks-coming up with their own fixes (i.e.-maybe take pleasant grove to kings highway)

Whatever happens-it's gonna be a big inconvenience

info. info.
Nov '13

Don't you think it would take some one with a very HIGH IQ to think of these things like portable traffic lights and pre fabed bridge work may be they need a DDS tofigure it out

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Nov '13

More information regarding the holdup - http://newjerseyhills.com/observer-tribune/news/gas-line-delays-bridge-replacement-in-washington-township/article_6772cb2a-4e20-11e3-9447-0019bb2963f4.html

hmmmmm from the article above..another bridge to be replaced

Bailey said that a bridge replacement on Route 46, scheduled to be finished in a week, isn't a comparable situation. That bridge will be pre-constructed and laid in place, he said.

Brad
Nov '13

a portable traffic light was used on Rockport.......why wouldn't they think of using one for this project?? insane.......wait until there is an accident and THEN do something....

Hastings Hastings
Nov '13

You would have thought they would have had a plan for relocating the gas line before the project started. Great planning again by the DOT.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '13

And, what about that little bridge over a "brook" on Charles St. Wow, the traffic on Rt. 46/Main St. around 8:00 am is backed all the way to Best's. How long will that bridge be closed.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Nov '13

More information -

http://newjerseyhills.com/observer-tribune/news/bridge-work-to-cause-backups-in-washington-township/article_96184152-52b8-11e3-82a0-001a4bcf887a.html

Update - The bridge work isn't going to be started until the earliest spring of 2014. It may not even begin before the summer.

http://longvalley.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/environmental-constraints-halt-newburgh-road-bridge-replacement

BLD3
Nov '13

New date is June 15 -

http://hackettstown.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/newburgh-bridge-replacement-gets-start-date-road-to-close-until-2015

omg, that's gonna suck! I take it everyday to work and back and it's real convenient because I live off of Allen Rd. As soon as I get to 57, I cross over and right over the bridge. This is going to require me to go down to 57 all the way to Mountain Rd. and then cross over. Going to be an annoyance as I'm driving out of my way just to get to the spot where Newburgh would normally dump me.

MikeB MikeB
Apr '14

I understand this subject was discussed today, 5/5/14, on WRNJ..I didn't get to hear it firsthand. Did anyone hear the report...supposedly work will begin mid June and for first week police will direct traffic at Newburgh/Schooleys Mtn intersection. What a mess this is going to be...especially when the day shifts of the two companies on Newburgh let out at same time.

wonderful wonderful
May '14

Can we assume the left turn at the light at Mt. Ave and 57 will be adjusted to a longer period.

times are going to be just awful I would imagine.

LOL "wonderful",

There are more than just two companies on (and just off) Newburgh Rd.

Last year, when the same bridge was closed near the end of the gas line replacement project, there was a nice solid line of cars from one end to the other. The crazy thing was that people were still going around the "Road Closed" signage to enter Newburgh from Schooley's Mt. Rd., only to get down the road and have to try to turn around to come back since yes, the road actually WAS closed. What part of the signs and barrier did they fail to understand?

Phil D. Phil D.
May '14

MikeB-go to Kings Hwy and up the mountain that way.

It will be nice to have that bridge fixed. The potholes are some of the worse I've seen.

botheredbyuu botheredbyuu
May '14

for 1 YEAR? Who's going to do the work? Are they using people from a nursing home?

emily1 emily1
May '14

Our company, located on Newburgh rec'd notice work to begin June 24th, lasting approx 8 months.

wonderful wonderful
May '14

Our company received the same info from Washington Twp. as "wonderful's" company, though we may work for the same place... .

Phil D. Phil D.
May '14

Electronic signs have been out for several days now. The project is scheduled to start June 24 according to the signs. In addition I saw a sign that says Rockport Rd. is scheduled to be paved during July/August in the area by the Mansfield/Hackettstown border. That combined with the Newburgh bridge detour will make for some great traveling this summer.

Is the rt46 bridge over the Musconetcong going to be replaced as well?. I thought I heard that.

DiaHillRes2 DiaHillRes2
Jun '14

DiaHillRes2 - use the search feature at the top of the page

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/578629#t578639

We can put a man on the moon and yet it will take nearly a year to replace a 50' bridge. Unbelievable. One would think that the local governments of Hackettstown, Mansfield and Washington Township would coordinate w/state and county authorities and stagger the start of these 3 projects so that they wouldn't all be going at the same time but then that would make too much sense. Instead they opt to inconvenience thousands of motorists and many local businesses. Nice job Mayor Digiovanni. Lets add this one to your resume which includes the College View debacle.

njdad1 njdad1
Jun '14

Actual infrastructure work? I'll take it, since so much of it is overdue.

Surely there will be an inconvenience if road/bridge construction is done. I don't see how it could be any other way. We need the work, so let's get it done.

justintime justintime
Jun '14

njdad

nice job mayor digiovanni?? why are you blaming her? this is a morris county
project a half mile from h'town border, does it affect h'town? - sure but when has morris county in general and washington twsp in particular ever given a rat's ass about h'town?

Extownie
Jun '14

Hey extownie wake up and smell the coffee. I take it that you think its too much ask that our elected officials communicate with their counterparts in Washington Twnsp & Morris County particularly when our towns share a common border??? (The bridge over the river on 46 isn't a half mile from H-town.) Residents of H-Town, Washington and Mansfield are going to suffer for the better part of a year because of inept local, state & county officials? The H-town mayor needs to go. I've voted republican all of my life but when it comes to her I'm going w/the dems because of the bridge/road repair disaster and because she was complicit w/the HMUA's near destruction of the College View section of H-town. She is incompetent.

njdad1 njdad1
Jun '14

Isn't Route 46 a STATE highway? So it's it the STATE that determines when the project starts? I'm not sure how much pull any of the Mayor's surrounding this project would have in determining the starting time of this project.

darwin darwin
Jun '14

Oh no...tomorrow is 6/24, the beginning of the traffic nightmare. Be safe.

wonderful wonderful
Jun '14

Yep, no more 2 minute ride to the movies or ShopRite, etc. after work. I can go to the Byram ShopRite instead I guess, but movies on Tuesday, for $6, hmmm don't feel like going to Roxy-berry for that.

I'm sure that the businesses that were patronized by folks on Newburgh for lunch pickups are going to feel at least a bit of pain when they decide it's not worth an extra 10 minutes or so each way to go get lunch.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

By the way...

for those who figure they can take Schooley's Mt. Rd. to Flocktown, then left on Naughright to get from Newburgh to up Rt. 46 by the A&P to get around the left turn off Newburgh madness, there is an announcement that Naughright Rd. will be closed for the next two weeks or so from 7 to 4:30. From the Washington Twp website:

"On or about June 25, 2014 road construction will begin on Naughright Road. The construction is schedule to start at 7:00 AM and end at 4:30 PM Monday through Friday. During the hours of construction Naughright Road will be closed between the intersection of Janet Drive and Nancy Terrace. Only residents and emergency equipment will be permitted to travel Naughright Road during the closure. A police officer will be stationed at both closures during the construction hours. At the conclusion of the workday the roadway will be re-opened to all vehicle traffic. The project will consist of milling and resurfacing, which is scheduled to last two weeks."

http://wtmorris.org/index.php/2012-09-11-19-16-55/40-departments/police/725-naughright-rd-construction.html

Best of luck out there everyone! It seems as though just about everyone is starting projects around the same time and a number of people are affected by more than one of them. Whoopee! I know we need the work done, but it seems there is far too little information available on all the projects that are being started so we, the taxpayers can make plans.

Case in point - the project to update water mains along Stanhope-Brooklyn Rd. had signs up stating the road would be closed at a certain point, but today all of a sudden there were new signs that had a larger portion of it closed AND there is no even relatively convenient detour around the work area!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

I wish I didn't have to traverse schooleys Mt everyday... the traffic was horrible today around 515. :(

Smack Smack
Jun '14

Yeah, I noticed that I didn't see any police officers "monitoring" that intersection, as the article stated they would be. Go figure!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

The light at the Rt 57, Mountain Ave intersection did not seem to be adjusted either. One care made it through with the left turn arrow.

Happycamper Happycamper
Jun '14

At noon yesterday, I left work (on Newburgh Rd.), headed to intersection with Schooley's Mtn. road...policeman in his car parked in the yellow striped lane of Newburgh. I pull up in the left lane next to his car...have to inch my way forward and strain to see around the road closure signs...as I inch forward, the driver in the right lane next to me not too happy because now I'm blocking his view. A line of traffic keeps coming down from Schooley's Mtn side, and another line coming from Hackettstown direction...I could have peeled out a couple of times, risking smoking my tires, but didn't think it was a wise move with a policeman monitoring...I waited until I couldn't stand it any longer and pulled out with the "I can beat that car" attitude. Phew, finally on my way, only to proceed a short distance and find traffic stopped. Why? Because the township road dept. crew were out patching potholes and stopping traffic with their "Stop" or "Slow" signs. Summer road travel begins.

Wonderful Wonderful
Jun '14

Apparently they only "monitor" traffic during lunch hour (and by the clicker method???).

Today I noticed they had put in the traffic counting hoses on both Schooley's Mt. Road and Newburgh Rd. Wednesday morning, but again when leaving work around 3:30, no officer on duty there to "monitor" and possibly guide if needed. I did notice that the cross traffic on Schooley's wasn't too terrible when I left on Tuesday around 4pm, but was definitely worse on Wednesday when I left.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

Phil D.

The person to contact at the WT Police Dept. is Lt. Doug Compton. His phone number is (908) 876-8309. His email address is dcompton@wtpdmorris.org.
The Chief of Police in WT is Mike Bailey. His phone number is (908) 876-8301. His email address is mbailey@wtpdmorris.org. If you don't hear back from them with your concerns please let me know and I'll be willing to contact them myself. I have not experienced any problems with the detour other than to notice there is definitely more traffic on Kings Highway. I am hoping there won't be many more accidents because of the detour but I'm not optimistic.

BLD

It seems as though "Wonderful" had a difficult time during the "active" police monitoring at lunch time. While I was making note that there was no monitoring during what is usually even busier times (when people are leaving work), those times could have been during shift change or the officer may have been called away for an emergency or they could have changed to monitoring via the counter hoses.

The more amusing thing is that without the "active" police monitoring that "Wonderful" mentions, I've had no more difficult an exit than normal (so far) than usual and perhaps it's been easier since traffic moves right by, rather than being delayed by the people who would usually keep turning in front of me going down Newburgh! I really don't have any concerns so far, at least not enough to be worthy of bothering the chief with, however I thank you for the info, as it may come in handy later. I know the P.D. has to cover the projects and they're not the ones that schedule all this mess to happen at the same time.

Looking at the News 12 Traffic & Weather Channel, you can see that there is a LOT of construction that's just popped up on their traffic maps recently.

Be careful and good luck out there everybody!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

Glad to hear it Phil. My offer still stands if you need to reach the WT PD. What I find "amusing" is all the people who completely disregard all the signs and line up in the left hand lane on Rt 57 ready to turn onto Newburgh. When they see the heavy equipment on the bridge they then have to continue straight along with the other two lanes which then go down to one lane. Do they think the detour is for everyone but them?

I heard that the Long Valley mayor ticked off the Mansfield mayor, so Mansfield decided to create a traffic jam :)

It would be nice if the people waiting in a standing line of cars on Schooley's would be kind enough to let people turn into Hastings Square when they're not going anywhere anyway.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '14

Tracy

If I'm just sitting there in a line of cars, I'd definitely let them through!

Too many people close off business driveways like that too and refuse to let anyone out, like trying to get out of the Valley National bank's Rt 46 exit. After the light turns red, many times people keep flying up behind one another and will stop right in front of you as if you're not even there, including if you're trying to make a left, when you wouldn't even be in front of them, "just passing through", so to speak!

BLD

Too bad they can't cone that off to begin with, but I think that would then compromise entry to the Walgreen's & the bank. Of course they think that way, just like the last time they closed down Newburgh and people still came down there anyway and had to "U"-turn, which made a line for those of us getting out of work that led down the road past Esna Dr.! Thanks again for the info - if needed, I'll definitely use it!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

Re: Newburgh Rd. to close for one year during bridge replacement

OK, just for all the folks that have it in mind to come down Newburgh Road DESPITE the "ROAD CLOSED" signs, THIS (see picture) is what's at the end. I'm going to save you the time and trouble of flying down the road, then having to turn around in business driveways while people are trying to leave work, thus making it more crowded than it need be.

Photo taken June 27, 2014. All rights reserved LOL

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

Now in case you feel you can go around the stacks of steel I-beams and steel plate on the left and the concrete barrier towards the middle and right, here is what you'll be going over. I hope your vehicle is good at jumping, though there's no ramp there, so maybe you wish to test your all-terrain capacity. Good luck, but don't say I didn't warn you AND it's probably worth a hefty fine for trying to do so;-D

Again, all rights reserved - LOL!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

Bo and Luke Duke could clear that easy...and they never needed a ramp.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '14

Not quite right there - they never showed the ramp :-)

Besides, there's no clear path to it, so you can't get up enough speed, unless you're driving the "Mach V" that is - "Go Speed Racer, GO!"

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

I was thinking about skirting past the roadblocks and riding over the bridge, which I figured was just under a bit of repair with a small piece missing. I even said to my wife and kids "we've got a Hummer, we can cross that bridge!"

Nevermind.

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Jun '14

Lngvly22

Yep, small piece missing ;-D

Complete replacement coming, though I'm not sure whether they're going to build around and reinforce that center pier or take it out completely as well.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '14

as of July 27 does anyone know how much progress has been made on the Newburgh Rd. bridge?

C. Shuster C. Shuster
Jul '14

We appear to be right on schedule ... http://www.mandatory.com/2014/07/30/an-exclusive-look-at-the-work-schedule-of-every-road-constructio/

I took some pictures Tuesday and it seems to be moving along, though the pace may not make many happy. They've built a cofferdam and excavated on the Morris County side, as well as put in what seems to be some reinforcing rods. After work tomorrow, I'll see if I can stop at the Morris County side and take more pics. This one I took from the Warren County side, near Walgreen's.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

I was at the bank yesterday. It wasn't even 3pm and not a single worker in sight. No wonder it will take a year.

They started yesterday at around 7am, and left around 2:30pm or so. I was on the opposite side at 2:15pm and they were there. You should know that they had poured more concrete yesterday. Section at a time, the bridge abutments are coming together. They then spent some time covering the areas they poured concrete since it was supposed to rain yesterday afternoon / evening.

Lastly, you should know that the foreman told us that they are ahead of schedule and hope to finish in November or early December.

Robert Durana Robert Durana
Aug '14

After two weeks the Rte 46 bridge over the Musconetcong is now open to traffic. Why is it taking up to a year to replace the smaller Newburgh bridge? Someone has to realize that its going to take more than 3 guys with a hoe, rake and shovel working 3 hours a day to get the job done. In the meantime thousands of motorists and business are inconvenienced in the extreme.

njdad3
Aug '14

"Done Fast - Done Cheap - Done Right", pick two!

My guess is since 46 is a state highway they probably got a bunch of dough from the state and probably feds too, so they can throw manpower at it...

* Please note, when the job/project involves any level of government "Done Right" does not relate to the quality of work, it refers to having paid off the correct people.

Brendan Brendan
Aug '14

The Newburgh project is also larger. It's not just a bridge replacement, it's a road widening and re-routing.

I would imagine that concrete needs time to cure after being poured. That may be why some days the work ends earlier.

I have been there on a few Saturdays and they have been working.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

Aquarius and Brendan apologists such as you two no doubt "worked" for or with the government. We can put a man on the moon but it takes a year to replace a small bridge "right" as you say. Give me a break. Its being done on the cheap that why its taking so long.

njdad3
Aug '14

Yeah, njdad3, you got me figured out. Now get back to work on that bridge you're building, since obviously you're an expert on bridge construction.

Aquarius Aquarius
Aug '14

When are they going to adjust the left turn signal at the light coming from Schooley to turn onto 57? I think I've counted maybe 2 seconds maximum that it holds before disappearing. Who the hell is this light designed for? Even a car that is waiting to slam the gas down when it changes can barely make it completely thru before it changes. Nevermind the folks who fall asleep at the wheel and let 1 second slip before moving.
This light needs a good 10 second adjustment to relieve most of the traffic that requires the left turn. It's a nightmare if you get to that area of the road around 5:45:6:00pm. It's just backed up all the way to the Newburgh Rd. area.

MikeB MikeB
Aug '14

Just wait until next week. It will be traffic hell. These same goverment brainiacs have decided that the week of 9/4 is the best time to begin to mill and repave Schooleys Mountain Road from Newburgh road to the Mine Hill golf course.

njdad3
Aug '14

MikeB, Your post made me laugh and I completely agree. I come through there at that exact time ~ 6:00p.m. (some nights) and it is terrible. I also hate when people just sit there when the light turns green. It happens a lot over near the 5 corner intersection. If I have sat through 4 light changes, you better believe that I expect you to be moving WHEN the light turns green:)

Lets not forget they are paving Grand Ave in Mansfield (whatever its called)

Brad2
Aug '14

I'm beginning to understand how the Bridgegate towns felt, but that only lasted a few days! You don't think ....... Nah, never mind.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '14

So now what is the completion time on this bridge? Someone told me it was for this September 4th. For a moment it sounded believable considering they redid the route 46 bridge nearly in 2 weeks already. How on earth does it take them a year to redo the little Newburgh bridge?
As I was driving by early this morning I took a glance and didn't see anything put down to have a Sept. 4th completion.
So is it true then? Looking at a year to complete that little bridge? Amazing.

MikeB MikeB
Sep '14

The Newburgh Rd. bridge was expected to take about 9 months to complete based on the fact that it was outdated and the weight limit was reduced on it several times, especially after Sandy caused flooding that caused several inches of water to flow above the bridge deck itself. The bridge was also only about 20' wide, allowing barely two cars to pass each other, much less a truck from the company right at the end of the road. Another issue was that the water reached high enough to go around the bridge, which can also compromise the structure.

The new bridge was planned to reroute the rather awkward curve and make the bridge deck as wide as Newburgh Road itself, as well as to make it match the level of Newburgh at a higher point on the road itself. They are also making a downstream pedestrian walkway as part of the new structure too.

I have visited the site once or twice a week to check out the progress and it seems as though they're doing well. Cofferdams have had to be constructed to allow work to proceed, then concrete forms constructed and the concrete poured. It's not as easy as it looks and Newburgh is also not the major state artery that Rt. 46 is, especially as considering truck traffic.

Sadly, the Washington Twp. website only seems to give notice of the actual closings at 6pm the night of the closing. They did state that the part of Schooley's Mt. Rd. between the intersections with Newburgh and Rt. 57 would be closed starting Aug 27, though the signs there had a piece of duct tape over them that stated they'd be closing Sept. 4 for milling and paving.

Perhaps those signs are where someone got the mistaken idea that the Newburgh Bridge was scheduled to reopen on the 4th - yeah, there's NO way on that! It would be nice if people tried to read more carefully in order to give out the correct info.

Here's a picture of the current state of affairs on the Newburgh Rd. bridge site, taken Sept. 2, 2014 around 6pm.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Here's another pic of the Westerly side with the recently poured support. It looks as though it consists of four sections, only one of which was poured last Tuesday ( or was it Thursday) when I last took pics. It looks as though they're doing away with the central pier that was there and that was woefully battered. That should allow more straightforward flow underneath the new bridge deck.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Phil D - Another major difference with Route 46 is the old footings were reused. No need for damming, not changing the route, just redoing the top.

Thanks for clearing that up a bit Phil D.!

MikeB MikeB
Sep '14

Schooley's Mtn. Road Down to 1 Lane Beginning TODAY-Thursday from Newburgh Road to Hackettstown
http://patch.com/new-jersey/long-valley/schooleys-mtn-road-down-1-lane-beginning-thursday#.VAfmL2P4FkA

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Sep '14

OMG PhilD and GC you must be on the government take!!! What to understand the obvious differences between the two projects and to comment so intelligently about them! (tongue firmly in cheek)

Aquarius Aquarius
Sep '14

Some one call up the guy who did the rt 46 bridge and have them do it

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Sep '14

Aquarius

No, I think we're waiting for njdad3 to call us out on it, just as he did you. It took me a minute to see that's where you were going with it, otherwise I may have taken it the wrong way - LOL. Gee I wish the Govt. was paying me, instead of so much of my money going into it!

Oh - here's the other shoe dropping!

http://local.nixle.com/alert/5261188/

The administration of Washington Twp. doesn't give a Flying Fish or a Mother-Father-Sister about timely info being posted on the web. I've been checking for a posting on their website off and on all evening and only finally saw it a short time ago. Work is "anticipated" to begin on milling Schooley's Mt. road on Sept. 4!

The signage that's been up has been right at the northern tip of the road where it intersects with Rt. 57 and was placed down at the guardrail where many motorists are likely to have missed it, considering how low it is, that the date is marked in sharpie on a piece of duct tape that's peeling off the sign and that it's where the two lanes merge into one. Thanks you SO VERY MUCH.

I'm waiting for the disaster of a traffic mess at that intersection, and the backups and turnarounds. Should be plenty of fun - but only if you're watching, NOT if you're in it. Since I work on Newburgh, that's yet another detour in what seems to be an endless "Summer of Detours". It had better be worth it in the end!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Ridiculous!!! Why should it take any longer then it has?! Atleast adjust the light at Rt 24 and 57! OR would that take alot more meeting and planning to adjust it. So sad!

long Valley girl long Valley girl
Sep '14

Last week I took pictures that looked as though the bridge was ready for the I-beams to be put across to span the gap and indeed yesterday morning there were I-beams waiting by the bridge. I just took a walk down there at lunch time and found that they were in place and the concrete had been poured between them.

The only thing is. once the actual bridge itself is done, they still have road widening, straightening and leveling to do to build the roadway up to the new bridge's level so as to insure that the water flows under the structure and doesn't overflow the bank on the SE side;. That's an issue that always happens with the bridge in East Ave. on the side by the farm. Of course, removing the dam that's upstream of each of the bridges would allow for straighter flow underneath each of the spans, rather than to force the water towards one side when the water rises and the flow is greater, the way it does now.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Here's a picture of what the bridge looked like today. It's actually bridging/spanning the river - YAY! As I said earlier though, lots of work remains to be done, just as on the Route 46 bridge, which you may have noticed is NOT actually finished if you've driven across it lately. From the looks of it (without examining it really close up) that bridge may end up being bypassed with the water overrunning the roadway on the easterly side due to the slope, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Guys... look closely at Phil's picture... I think he caught something in the bushes.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

Mark Mc.

ROTFLOL - that was too much - love it! I must have been too busy composing the picture to see him in the corner, or the camera was able to decloak him ;-)

BTW, thanks again for the Electrical parts last week - it was great meeting you - fun talk too!

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Nice meeting you too. Glad those parts may find a better use than just sitting in a box.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Sep '14

According to the crew building the Bridge, it was designed with a slight slope to the up river side. It is supposed to help channel/regulate flood waters should the river get that high.

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Sep '14

4paws

If you look closely at the picture, you'll see that on the underside it looks as though the lower section of the downstream side is a bit higher the the upstream side. That would prevent a buildup of pressure behind the underside of the bridge deck itself, which would keep it from "lifting" if the river gets that high.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Thanks Phil for all of your info and those great 'progress' pictures of yours. I especially appreciate your updates as the project progresses. Now I am not so in the dark about what is going on, or how long it will take. Keep up the good work, I'll be checking in every week to see if you have anything else for us. : - )

Old Drum Head Old Drum Head
Sep '14

You're welcome "Old Drum Head" - thanks for the compliment too.

Since I work so close and have always been interested in bridges and other structures (especially covered bridges), it's cool to actually be able to actually be right next to a project like this, even if it IS very inconveniencing while in progress. I try to take pics once a week, though I don't always post them each week. I'll try to keep it a bit more regular since you're interested.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Yes, thanks Phil D.

I work on Newburgh as well and I appreciate your updates. I'm growing very tired of the detour.

wonderful wonderful
Sep '14

I just submitted an online request to NJ Dot to adjust the light onto 57 from Schooley's Mountain. Can't hurt to try, but I doubt anything will change.

Hookerman Hookerman
Sep '14

Hookerman

That might work, since it involves a State Route. The ten-second business for a green turning arrow in the PM (don't need it too much longer in the am from what I've seen) is asinine and all the left-turning folks lock up the folks going straight until it's backed up to you know where... .

Nobody at the State, Fed. or local levels seen to give a rat's gluteus in most of the construction projects going on, though I DO applaud them for the temporary change of light times during the Rt. 46 bridge closure. As an example of a total F'up, look no further than Parsippany's Rt. 80 mess. More accidents than ever right now.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Phil D & Hookerman - I was waiting until I had some news, but I have been in contact w/the supervisor @ the Mt. Arlington DOT regional office. He has been in contact with the Trenton office and assures me that someone will be out shortly to time the light and count the cars. I jokingly asked that we avoid this week due to all of the Jewish holidays ;). He is very nice, and agrees that they need to do something about the light if the project is expected to last until July. He said to keep calling him to check the status, so I will. He also said if someone does come out on a light traffic day and doesn't change the timing, call him and they will send them out again. I am hopeful that this will fix the issue!!

LizInHtown LizInHtown
Sep '14

The light has definitely been adjusted. The left turn light allows 8-10 cars now when it used to barely allow 3. At least it's something.

I appreciate the updates, too, Phil D. Thanks!

Tracy (mobile) Tracy (mobile)
Sep '14

Yes. Last week, I could barely make the left as the 3rd car. Today I easily turned left and was the 6th car.

LizInHtown

Thanks for contacting them - that may have done the trick since the light timing seems to have changed sometime this morning and there was two hardhatted guys that were standing about 50 feet apart on the northbound side of Schooley's Mt. Road near Hastings Plaza as I left work today around 3:30pm. It seemed as though they may have been conducting a count (but then maybe not). Traffic was MUCH improved through there today!

Thanks to those that like the updates and pictures. I may not be getting any tomorrow if it's rainy, but should be taking more sometimes this week.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '14

Drove that way today at around 5:45PM. No adjustment at all during that time. And I'd imagine that's the busier time of day at that intersection.

Hookerman Hookerman
Sep '14

Yesterday afternoon (around 4:30) 8 cars got through the light. Today at the same time 3 cars. Something changed between yesterday and today.

happycamper happycamper
Sep '14

I also noticed that the positive light changes seemed to have been reversed and on Tuesday night some people were tearing through there making the left turn as if they still had the longer light. I saw a good number of close calls!

Here's a picture of the bridge taken Tuesday, Sept. 30th. It looks as though they're starting to attach the rebar supports for the sides of the bridge. If you look carefully towards the right, you'll see one set of curved green bars sticking up from the rest of the bridge. The water level is really low right now and it would be a good time for them to take out the dam that's maybe 100 feet upstream. It's breached as it is and removing it would help keep the onward flow straight.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Horrible backup last night.....4:45 or so and was stopped between Newburgh Rd and Heath Village which is the longest backup I have been in for this construction project.

On the positive side, once I got through the light traffic moved very well through town.

summerhelp summerhelp
Oct '14

I am stuck in that traffic everyday. It takes about 20 minutes to get from the bottom of the mountain to the light sometimes- crazy!

I come from Bedminster so I really try to go Naughright to 46 and make the U-turn down to Target.

bmao - Have you tried getting off Naughright just past Flocktown onto Spring Lane? That turns into Reservoir Road and lets you off onto 46 just past the Target. Turnaround is just across 46. Might save you a couple minutes...

The businesses there in Mansfield must be feeling this a little bit I would think. I don't need to go through Mansfield to go home, but If I want to grab something at the food store or Bottle King, I'd take Newburgh and make my stops. Now? Forget it - I'm not waiting in line to make that left. Going straight through the light takes long enough. Maybe if I think of it in time, I'll take King's Highway. Still a pain.

seeshark seeshark
Oct '14

Phil D.-- many thanks for the pics and regular updates-- keep up the good work-- maybe next time your down there you could give some words of encouragement to the crew for an early finish!!

EarlyCompletion? EarlyCompletion?
Oct '14

I live in hasting square, the light was very short on Wednesday and Thursday. I think that contact in Trenton needs to be called again to see what happened. Liz you out there?

I am!! I've tried to call 4x today, he wasn't available apparently. I'll try again tomorrow! I will not give up :) I had commitments that had me coming down the mountain a lot later the last few days, and luckily missed the messes. From reading here, I saw the light apparently changed then went back!! Ugh! Keep you posted when I get in touch w/him!!

LizinHtown LizinHtown
Oct '14

Light was bad today. 3 cars on green was the max

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '14

They poured the entire concrete deck of the bridge yesterday. And the new gas pipeline is now ready to be installed. It's all moving fairly quickly at this point.

Oct '14

Called again this am, he is in Trenton all day today. I will call again Monday!

LizInHtown LizInHtown
Oct '14

LizInHtown

Thanks for your efforts. On Monday around 3:30 pm I saw what seemed to be another couple of official-looking people "studying" that intersection, clipboards and all. The green arrow was on for about 8 seconds, the yellow for 2 and if you include the first vehicle that must have gotten stuck at the light before since it was halfway over the stop line, only 4 vehicles made it through before opposing traffic had the rest blocked from moving.

Fortunately, the lack of significant rain since the project began has allowed it to move forward relatively quickly, especially compared to what it would have been had the river been higher and it rained a lot this summer! I'm getting the feeling that it may be finished at the same time or possibly even before the rest of the Rt. 46 bridge is done!

Here's a picture of the progress as of last Friday, Oct. 3rd. It looks as though the gas line goes through the bridge itself and will be buried beneath the roadway, at least for part of its length. The concrete sides still need to be poured and the roadway itself will have to have the grading, etc. done to widen and reroute the road to finish the project as well, but it does look as though they could have it done in Nov. sometime! YAY!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Phil D.,
Attachment?

wonderful wonderful
Oct '14

Photo now loaded for me, thanks. I appreciae the updates Phil.

wonderful wonderful
Oct '14

I will be interested to see how much work will be required to bring the road up to the level of the bridge surface and how this will effect the entrances to the Bank and Walgreen's. Still a lot of work to do.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Oct '14

I noticed 3-4 cars run the yellow/red light to make the left turn the other day. I was on the other side making a right onto 57. Even though my light went to green I just waited till they all safely got through. Luckily nobody was behind me and I didn't mind waiting. I'm sure they all were frustrated. The guy next to me inched out but I was glad he was also paying attention. Everyone needs to becareful and pay attention because if I would have just went when the light turned green or the guy next to me, it could have been a pretty bad accident.

Sunshine Sunshine
Oct '14

Sucks. I'm moving out of Hackettstown end of this month so I'll never see what becomes of this bridge, lol. One thing for sure, I won't miss getting stuck in traffic to practically the woods past Newburgh! No more of that!

MikeB MikeB
Oct '14

Spoke to Ken @ DOT again this am. He tells me the DOT team that they have been reviewing, and they will be implementing it next week. Let's hope it's a good one! Last night's traffic was awful, yet again!! :(

LizInHtown LizInHtown
Oct '14

Indeed it was. Yesterday I left work around 4pm and saw Schooley's Mt. Rd. was backed almost all the way up to Newburgh Rd. I went up SMR onto Pleasant Grove then to King's Hwy. to 57N and made it through the intersection of 57 & Mountain Ave./SMR before the Thomas & Betts semi that had been in front of me had even made it to the light after they'd come down Schooley's Mt. Rd.!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Good news from Hackettstown patch:
http://dlvr.it/797tY8

Oct '14

Keep your fingers crossed. It looks like the bridge may open for traffic late November/early December barring any major weather problems.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/county-eyes-november-opening-newburgh-road-bridge

The bridge won't be completely done but as they did with the bridge on Rt. 46 they'll be able to work around the traffic to finish it up.

It's apparently still useless to think that anybody's going to "fix" the light timing while the bridge project is still going on. The only day everything worked well was that first day when they were "checking" things out. Then it all went downhill again and people are taking heavy-duty risks trying to force their way through that intersection. I've seen a good number of near misses and I just hope there isn't an accident there.

Here's a picture taken the 16th, showing the deck finished and the side rail supports up.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

I'm a bit hesitant about the design at the moment. As I recall, the original wording of the plan called for the pedestrian walkway to be on the downstream side of the bridge, but it's now on the upstream side of the bridge (though downstream of the upstream railing). If you look at the picture, you can see that the bridge slopes towards the upstream side and the walkway.

Earlier in the build I could see how the downstream side would be better being at a level equal to or higher than the upstream side so as to avoid a pressure buildup under the deck should the water reach that high, however with the upper deck sloped that much it makes me wonder about possible drainage issues later and collection of water on that lower section of the bridge deck.

By the way, you can see the gas line on the left as it runs through the bridge deck underneath the sidewalk area. Since they were unable to run it underneath the river earlier when the old bridge was still up (apparently they hit bedrock that they weren't able to penetrate with their equipment), they decided to modify the plan for the line and run it through the bridge itself. It would be nice to see a copy of the modified plan, but I haven't found anywhere that had it on file. I should check the DOT website. Maybe it's finally up there or they may have a link to it somewhere else... .

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Here's a picture taken the 21st. By then the bridge railings were finished, as well as the "dressing" of the sides with flagstone. You can also see that the slab for the approach had the rebar and form ready for the concrete pour on the Walgreen's downstream half.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Here's another picture taken this Friday the 24th after 4:30 pm. There were about 8 guys working at the time - yes on a Friday and they've even been there from before it was light a time or two with the site lights set up as I got to work around 6:30. Unfortunately, you can only see a few of the guys working, since the pillar hides the rest, but I have another picture that shows them there. There was also what looked like a Trooper SUV there to help block of the roadway.

I also went by on the Rt. 57 side and saw that they now had the new curbing up on the Walgreen's side of the river on the approach to the bridge for the road realignment and the approach slab was poured on that side. As you can see in the picture, the approach slabs on the Washington Twp. side of the bridge are already poured. It definitely looks as though they're really making progress!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

I drove by yesterday morning on 57. There were guys working and a concrete truck on the Walgreens side. I was impressed to see them out there on a Saturday morning. Hopefully this will all be wrapped up soon, and the traffic flow can return to normal.

MO Htown MO Htown
Oct '14

The only complaint I have is that someone keeps messing with the road closed signs at the intersection of Schooley's Mt. Road and Newburgh. For a while they had half of the left outgoing lane of Newburgh blocked and it squeezed both lanes to one, blocking outgoing traffic. Apparently the driving skill deficient people coming down Schooley's couldn't make the corner around the signs or wanted to be able to take that turn quicker and moved them to unblock the left turn lane onto Newburgh after it had been that way for most of the time.

I've seen people coming down Schooley's that made a quick turn into the outgoing lanes of Newburgh, even with the signs where they are now (mostly on the center lines and not really blocking any lane, which makes more people think it;s open now). That person could easily have turned right into someone approaching the stop signs to turn onto Schooley's, since there's not good visibility right there. I guess it goes to prove that you can't fix stupid, nor people that feel that driving into the opposing lane is fine to do as long as it gets them there "quicker" and they don't have to actually "work" to turn the corner where they should. "Cutting" corners at its worst.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Supposedly DOT is adding 10 secs to the turn sign according to the supervisor that I've been speaking with... He said this week, but we all know how timely government related projects run! Maybe the bridge will reopen by the time they add these10 secs!! ;)

LizinHtown LizinHtown
Oct '14

I have the feeling you're right Liz. The bridge may be open by the time they add that time to the turn signal. If they'd have only left it the way it was that first day they were "studying" it, things would have been perfect - but of course that would have been to logical and easy!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Can't have that, Phil! ;)

LizInHtown LizInHtown
Oct '14

Here's a pic taken yesterday (Tues. Oct. 28th). The gas line on the Rt. 57 side is connected and buried. The realigned and higher curbing is in also, as are both approach pads to the bridge itself. It looks as though most of what's needed now on that side is basic curing of the slabs to usable strength and the raising/blending of the roadway and driveways to the level of the bridge approach pads and the restriping of the roadway.

Whoopee - end's starting to really be in sight.

What will be finished first though - the new Taco Bell or the bridge project :-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Just passed thru that intersection three DOT trucks there, don't give up hope, something may happen yet

eapos eapos
Oct '14

Where's there going to be a Taco Bell? Where White Castle was?

DFP

That was in another thread. They're building a Taco Bell in front of the Hotel (Comfort Suites?) between ShopRite and Ruby Tuesday.

It shouldn't take three DOT trucks to change timing on a light. Just one person at the control box is all it takes in most cases. I've seen them both changing timing before as well as manually controlling an intersection that way. Maybe something else is up.

By the way, when I left work today it looked as though they may have poured the curbing or been working on the forms for the curbing on the "realigned" section of Newburgh leading to the bridge.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '14

Phil I agree it shouldn't take three DOT trucks to do anything, it also shouldn't take four months to do it. I was just trying to give the people that turn there a little hope. I really don't give a crap, I rarely turn there myself

eapos eapos
Oct '14

Also passed through when the three DOT trucks were there (Thursday)...looks like cameras were being installed on the lights.

ideal100 ideal100
Oct '14

Unfortunately it looks as though the only camera installed faces Rt. 57. to show when it gets backed up. I didn't see any other ones facing Schooley's Mt. Rd. or Mountain Ave. while I was sitting at the light (which of course still had the 5 second green arrow and 3 second yellow, allowing 3 cars to get through). It seems the only reason there's a bit less traffic there at times is due to people taking the longer ways around to avoid this intersection. All it takes is 5-10 cars needing to make a left and everyone's blocked due to the tightness of the approach due to the narrow bridge on Schooley's.

Fortunately, the construction crew seems to be going gangbusters. Yesterday when I left work around 3:30, it looked as though they were busy prepping Newburgh for new curbing on the new alignment to the bridge approach. I believe I heard (though I didn't see the notice) that it would be open by the end of Nov. I think I heard someone say the notice said two weeks, but don't quote me on that, as it could be wrong. I didn't see anything posted on our bulletin board yet, so anything at present I'm just treating as rumor.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

Observer Tribune article states they hope to have the bridge open by mid- November... let's hope so...

Grascal
Nov '14

So that 2 week rumor I also heard may be true then.

That would be SO awesome!

The movies only 2 min. away, also lots of gas and time saved.

By the way, the camera installed at the Rt. 57 and Schooley's Mt. Rd. intersection may be due to the State's study on the Rt. 46 (from Washington Twp. through the Main St. section of Hackettstown and Mountain Ave., which is considered one of the top 40 congested traffic areas in the State. From what I saw, this is planned to be a three year study and improvement project, which hopefully will not end up making things worse in the interim.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

@Phil D. Thank you so much for all of your updates. I know I have enjoyed all of the pictures and information you have provided.

happycamper happycamper
Nov '14

I work at one of the businesses off of Newburgh Rd as well, Phil. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

wonderful wonderful
Nov '14

You're both quite welcome! I'll probably be taking more pics Tuesday on "Movie Day", that is if it's light enough and not raining.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

As I was driving down Newburgh to work today a bit before 7am, it was barely light and one dump truck had already dumped fill down onto the Morris Co. side of the bridge and another was in the middle of dumping its load, all in preparation of paving the road on the "new" approach to the bridge. The roadway leading up to it is already milled and waiting for the paving to begin as well!

Here's a picture taken Wednesday, Nov. 05

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

Here's another taken the same day, but from the Walgreen's side. It shows the new realignment, which was supposed to provide a more direct approach and better through line of travel, but I really wonder if the rush to get it done and the delay that may be caused by moving the fireplug and some power poles ended up changing the "line". I'll hold my final judgement on the project until after it's all done and we travel on it for a bit, but something about the whole project just doesn't look right to me.

What do y'all think? Here's the picture:

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

The onsite project engineer told us that the township did not want a straight-line over the bridge, and requested a slight curve to be built in so that traffic would slow a bit thereby making the entrances to the bank and Walgreens a bit safer.

Nov '14

I feel like I could cry seeing this project almost finished. Thanks for the updates!!

Nov '14

The only thing that will "slow" the maniacs trying to make the light would be police presence. Heck the old narrow bridge didn't slow some of them down!
I am looking forward to the bridge's opening!

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Nov '14

I hear ya, Mr. 4paws.

Well, .... they are paving the approach on the Walgreens side right now. We're in the final stretch! :-)

Nov '14

They were very busy today! At lunch I walked over and checked things out. They were taking a break for lunch too or were waiting for more asphalt (or both). There was asphalt from the bridge approach concrete pads to an area level with the milled surface of the existing roadway. It also looked as though the other side (Bank & Walgreen's) already was finished as far as the asphalting of the roadway and driveway junction. Here's one of two pics I took:

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

As I left work today, I looked back at the bridge area and saw that they were still working and had a large dump truck dropping asphalt to be spread and compacted. From the looks of things it could definitely be open by the end of the week, possibly sooner! Another picture of the bridge work today from closer:

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

From Hackettstown patch:
http://patch.com/new-jersey/hackettstown/newburgh-road-bridge-will-reopen-next-week-0

Nov '14

Thank goodness!

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Nov '14

Great news....a big thanks for all the updates along the way!

ideal100 ideal100
Nov '14

Was at the bank today and they are very close to completing the Bridge. I would say a few days.

Mr.4paws

4paws 4paws
Nov '14

Paving is done, guard rails are up, and the lines were painted today. Getting close!

Nov '14

I never thought I would be so excited over a bridge! I always forget it's closed and than have to go back down 57.

Is it open?

Denise Denise
Nov '14

Short answer - No, not open yet.

Long answer- I just walked out to the front of the property at work during lunch (Noon). Not sure what they're doing at the moment, but the barriers are still up.

Bridge still closed at the moment, but maybe they'll have a Grand Reopening tomorrow or something with the leaders of Washington Twp., Mansfield Twp. and both Morris & Warren Cos. there for a ribbon cutting...

Only joking there of course, just open/take down the barriers and let that traffic flow when it's done!!! Send it out on nixle when it's done too - that would be nice!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

Monday was at the bank and talked to the foreman on the job. He said Thursday it should be open. I sure hope he's right!

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Nov '14

Our company sent out an email yesterday that they'd been notified that the bridge would be opening today also.

I just walked out (Noon) and the barriers are still up with only one vehicle around.

Perhaps they're waiting on all the functionaries to show up for a ribbon-cutting OR

maybe they just have to have last-minute signoffs from a DOT inspector or something else.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

My brother just text me that he drove over the new bridge leaving work! It's like Christmas morning!!

I just received a call also about the bridge. It is open!

happycamper happycamper
Nov '14

Yes, they pulled the barriers away around 12:30 - YAY!!!

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '14

Whoo hoo!!! (Oopss sorry).

Nov '14

AMEN!

Denise Denise
Nov '14

So, how long did it take?

Nov '14

149 days! Two months ahead of schedule.

Hooray!!

Nov '14

Interesting, so union work CAN get done faster than planned... ;)

Nov '14

Just like little kids... we had to take a ride over the new bridge today when we found it was finally open to traffic.

joyful joyful
Nov '14

Unbelievable, last night on my way to work going over the new bridge the car in front of me slows down to 5 miles per hour over the bridge as if they didn't widen it enough for two cars to go through. I thought they might be sightseeing but not much to see at dusk and they never even turned their head to look. Then after crossing the bridge they sped up to 50 mph in a 40mph zone. What's up with that?

I came down the mountain on auto-pilot yesterday sometime after noon, made the left at Newburgh like I used to and about half way to the new bridge realized 'huh-the road's open!' I must've been one of the first hundred to cross if they opened it at 1230-Pretty funny I didn't miss a beat making that left though!

info. info.
Nov '14

I don't travel that way much any more, but I'm glad for everyone that they finished ahead of schedule.

@Phil D, thanks for all of the updates and pics!

Info., I did the same auto pilot thing yesterday morning driving to work located on Newburgh.....was half way to work before I realized I could have taken my direct route, not the detour route.

wonderful wonderful
Nov '14

While I'm glad to see it open, as I use it too, in my opinion, they took a bad situation and made it worse. Took me a long time to get out from the bank. Cars were flying down the road to make the light as well as flying up the road. Where as you only had two lanes to worry about, now you have three. Legally you cannot make a left into or out of the bank, two lanes of traffic and a solid double yellow line, and for the same reason you cannot make a left out of the Walgreens. It is just a matter of time before there is a serious accident.

Mr 4paws

4paws 4paws
Nov '14

Left out of Walgreens onto Rt 57 is dangerous because its a blind spot, thats why you can't do it. Left onto Newburgh is a lot safer.

Nov '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.