New Hackettstown school district director of security?

Does anybody know if there is any truth behind this and who the candidates are.

BigBlack BigBlack
Aug '13

I wonder where the job announcement and requirements is...I sure can't find it.

BigBlack BigBlack
Aug '13

Security issues don't allow them to reveal any information on this subject, how secure is that?

eapos eapos
Aug '13

The job description was in a board agenda for a meeting back in the winter (jan -march somewhere) and they advertised in may or June.

Re: New Hackettstown school district director of security?

heard they hired this guy for the post:

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

Nope! This is the new director of security!

John C John C
Aug '13

I vote Wiggum for Chief

skippy skippy
Aug '13

Too funny! LOL!

positive positive
Aug '13

We all know this is the type they will hire.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '13

run baby run!

skippy skippy
Aug '13

They are looking to hire Stephen Spiers, formerly of the prosecutors office.

irishgirl irishgirl
Aug '13

ROFL... nice, guys... nice!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '13

Was he one of the drunk guys years ago who hit a woman and a car full of kids? A mom and daughter were killed - there is a memorial at the Library on 57 near WCCC. I think O'Reilly was the head of the Prosecutors at that time. They had been drinking (allegedly) at the old Cannonballs. Never charged. . . Be better off with an officer and attack dog!!

acl76 acl76
Aug '13

The town Board Of Education chose a man for all seasons for this position. The decision was very well thought out.

HtownForum HtownForum
Aug '13

Here he is

Keep them coming! I love it!

positive positive
Aug '13

mall cop?

skippy skippy
Aug '13

That's the best one yet!! I love that guy! LMAO!

positive positive
Aug '13

The prosecutors involved in that accident all died in the wreck. They were drinking at the Triple S Saloon in New Village (now Playmakers), not at Cannonballs. The fact that they died may have had something to do with them not being charged...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

Back to the subject, was that when Spiers was there? Little before my time..

acl76 acl76
Aug '13

It was January of 1995. John O'Reilly was the County Prosecutor at the time, having succeeded Richard Hare in 1992. Speiers would have been in his early 30s then... Not sure if he was with the County or still a cop in Washington at that time.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

What's your point ac176? Your questions have nothing to do with this topic.

Observer3 Observer3
Aug '13

Who is retiring and collecting their pentions and now going after more public money.

franksNbeans
Aug '13

A fine NJ tradition a pension double dipper...

Yep another double dipper in NJ. Go figure.

pampur pampur
Aug '13

Why dont they just place cops in the school?we have plenty?It would save the tax payers another salary,and pension,and benefits for life!They get paid to watch road construction as part of there shift,kids are more important,you could always use a school guard to watch the road constuction,less money spent,lets wake up,double dipping,is not good for the town,unless this is about someones friend needing a job?

Robert Robert
Aug '13

you answered your own question - it allows for the collection of a second pension from an autonomous board.

skippy skippy
Aug '13

The bigger issue is the constant increase in the number of administrative positions being added in the district in the past few years. A couple of years ago Chris Christie came down hard, and districts were forced to make hard decisions. Hackettstown eliminated supervisor positions at that time, and the previous supervisors were brought down to directors, that ran curriculum as well as taught classes. We also, at the time, had a business administrator who was also in charge of facilities. Over the past few years, they've brought back various supervisors, hired someone solely in charge of facilities, and is now bringing in this new administrative position.

I don't think this town can afford to maintain the direction Mr. Mango is taking the district.

TownFriend.
Aug '13

Has anyone asked why we need a director of security? What statistics have changed to warrant increased vigilance in our schools?

A quick reference:
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Hackettstown-New-Jersey.html

Just sayin'... I don't have the answer.

justintime justintime
Aug '13

The Hackettstown has an ad for a class 2 special police officer. I wonder if this will have to do with this new security position. Since the town uses the Civil Service Comm. to fill the roles of police officer I wonder why this is different.

When Mt Olive BOE hire a retired police officer the chief of police in Mt olive had to sign off paperwork and he still had to have some attachment to the police department since he was armed. Still had to qualify and the MTOPD had to have new rules and regulations in place to cover him even though he was hired by the BOE and not the town. Officer Kluska is the guy they hired.

Anyone know the salary this new title will cost taxpayers and the reasons we need it? Have things in our school district gotten that out of control? Not going to judge, but IMO! dollars could be spent wiser by creating more AP classes at the High School level, broadening our band at the Middle School level instead of just offering wind instruments perhaps add string as well and add some "true middle school sports teams(even by collaborating with Independence and Allamuchy) or just adding more after school clubs to intrigue our youth to cherish education and keep them off the streets. Just curious as a homeowner and taxpayer of this town along with being concerned of my property value! Again not going to judge, but would truly like to see the discplinary reports along with the criminal reports of our youth in our school system prior to agreeing to footing the salary of a post like this that may truly not be needed! IMO! We are already too top heavy when it comes to Superintendants and other high salary individuals in our school. Please just give me more insight/facts, so I as a taxpayer can understand why this position of security is more important than supplying our youth instead with more education? Thanks! Also I am aware Hackettstown wants to become a "NJ School Choice District", but what exactly does our district offer to intice "out of town residents" to send their kids here? Again just curious! Also I openly admit I am one of those "NJ School Choice District" parents who took advantage of sending my child out of Hackettstown School District. Whereas I didn't think the grass would be that much greener I truly am shocked at how much greener it truly is! My younger child in her new school being in average math will actually graduate at the same level of math as her old sibling did here in Hackettstown being in all high honors, highest level of math you can be here in Hackettstown!!! I get so much more educationally with my tax dollars sending her to another district outside of Hackettstown! Middle school! My child now has middle school sports, clubs galore, respect and most importantly isn't treated like another statistic/juvenile deliquent! Tax dollars spent on educating my child instead of being spent on pre-warned high school drug busts and now adding a useless position as "director of security"! If you care about your kids education have a voice taxpayers! Oh and I'm so not crying the victim for with my first borned I loved Hackettstown School District! My first born had no issues and graduated top ten of her class in all high honor classes! What I want to know is what happen? Is it our administrators of our school district that ruined it or the "new" lack of parenting that has moved into town? Curious minds want to know? Judge me as you may, but education is of upmost importance in my home, because my kids won't be kids forever and it's up to me as a parent to give them every opportunity in life to make them competitive in our horrible jobless country we live in! Our educational system here in Hackettstown is drastically falling apart! IMO!

Realist Realist
Aug '13

Ooh and thanks for all the laughs fellow forum posters. Glad I'm not the only one questioning this "new position"! But if forced to vote as a fellow Hackettstown taxpayer I must choose the mall cop! Lol! Now can we move forward and choose school uniforms? Lol! I hope I am not the only one to read the school budget or minutes from recent prior meetings!

Realist Realist
Aug '13

I bet in Newtown, they didn't think they needed any director of security either. I would never put a dollar amount on my children's safety.....

oldschool oldschool
Aug '13

An overpaid security director could not have stopped the massacre at Columbine as per what my niece, nephew, sister and brother-in-law(victims of this massacre) will tell you! Do some research and perhaps you will understand!

Realist Realist
Aug '13

@ Realist,
The BOE meeting is tonight and no less than 500 yards from your front door, are you going? Sounds as though you have an opinion, are you going to share it the people who will actually vote on the matter or just spew your thoughts into the vacuum called Hackettstown Life?

Have a nice day

crazyjane crazyjane
Aug '13

I actually have kids in the hackettstown school district. "Secure all schools in hackettstown" is my motto ! I pay taxes, that is not the issue.. the issue is - better safe than sorry.. there are one too many loose cannons out there.. anything can happen anywhere, any school, any time.. why not get the security top notched? I AM ALL FOR IT!! carry on...

darlughh darlughh
Aug '13

Better safe than sorry is always a good position to take.

Who will ask the BOE to arm all teachers, students, and parents with tasers, tear gas, and bean-bag guns? No such thing as being too careful, is there? ;-)

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Now we can both feel the same way...

justintime justintime
Aug '13

Realist "our horrible jobless country we live in" REALLY????? How about this move to another country then, no one is forcing you to stay. GO be gone with you.

Earnhardt Earnhardt
Aug '13

Hmm, my attempt at word-play in my previous post didn't come across as I had intended darlughh. I'm not trying to downplay your views, but rather punctuate that this is just another subject that is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I don't see any reason whatsoever for a new security position because quite frankly I don't see any threats that can't be dealt with through normal channels.

justintime justintime
Aug '13

every kid has the right to be sheathed from head to toe with bullet proof bubble-wrap,

it's the only thing that will ever work.

maybe we should have virtual classrooms and get rid of the school buildings? no more busing, no school dress codes, no need for permission slips, just intensive studying.

virtual schools without walls, who knew?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

no worries justintime... :)

darlughh darlughh
Aug '13

I guess they got rid of those Classroom/Teacher Assistants so they could afford his salary.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '13

I would have moved yesterday if I could have, but "Basic Economics", Supply to Demand is dictating that so I cannot! You are free to buy my home if you would like d I would gladly move to Brazil to get out of your "hair"! If our town/school district wasn't so bare to the bone perhaps my house would have sold already! IMO! Real Estate Economics 101(Once again Supply and Demand)! Perhaps I will just sell my house for peanuts(Which in return will make it hard for you to sell your house) or even better maybe I will just rent it out to a bunch of druggies(As long as they pay the rent why should I care) and ruin another neighborhood in our community.
As for my attending a BOE meeting I would love to once I form an army to enable myself to fight against them. As many of you have proven on this forum you are not willing to support "My Army"! Last I heard it takes an army to win a war!!!!!
Stop judging seriously instead wake up and stand up for your community!
Oh and I will gladly attend a BOE meeting with much research/facts in hand only if I have a team standing alongside of me. Any of you willing to join my team and try to bring life/prosperity back to our community? Sorry but I was never one to live life with horse blinders "Blinkers" on!

Realist Realist
Aug '13

Amen Brotherdog and justintime!!!!!!!!! I'm wrapping my kids in bulletproof bubble wrap now so they can attend a movie at the local movie theatre. You do know there was a massacre in Aurora, CO at a movie theatre recently? My kids were there the day after that massacre and also visit Columbine every summer! Their cousins were in locked down in the schools at Littleton during the Columbine shootings, so for me it's quite personal!
Oh and we won't even breach upon the recent news of how Hackettstown School District is under investigation for possibly cheating on the NJ ASK scores(Or the pre-announced High School Drug Sweep a few months ago that made the papers!). Yup that will really help Real Estate Economics 101, Supply and Demand and bring buyers galore to my door offering top price for my house! NOT! Horse Blinders "Blinkers" are off!

Realist Realist
Aug '13

I see Realist is on another rant............A little over the top again. LOL

Christine Christine
Aug '13

Hackettstown hired the candidate for Security Director. Anyone know how much? I hear he is evaluating the security situation. How much will it cost when he is done?

Takenback Takenback
Sep '13

All for making sure our children are secure.. but why is this a full time director position? Why not just hire a consultant, implement some changes if recommended, and then let the consultant go?

One of the other administrators could own security and conduct a regular review to be sure everything is working as planned.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '13

many districts get "investigated" for NJ ASK scores and it could be as simple as a kid erased too many bubbles and it is questioned. many investigations result in nothing. our town gets beat up enough without surmising the worst and spreading rumors. as far as the security director, wrnj mentioned Spiers getting hired? i know his kids went through the high school...any other updates?

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Sep '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.