Skank of America (new thread)

This is despicable. I had my purse stolen (story for another thread) and canceled my BofA card over the phone. The person on the phone said they would send me a new one in 3-5 business days.

I went in today to get a temporary replacement card and they informed me that I would be charged $5 for it, along with another $5 the one being sent.

I told them that I was never informed of a fee and that it's really poor business to be charged for something stolen, considering most credit card companies don't do that (though this is an ATM Visa).

The lady pretty much agreed with me and I respected her openness. She then canceled out one of the fees.

To add fuel to the fire, she then tried to get me to open a credit card. Yeah, like that was on my mind after having my purse stolen.

Sure they have to pitch their products but it seems like a wrong time to do so when someone is in crisis like having their purse stolen.

Oh, and if you live in PV, lock everything under the sun.

Stay away from BOA. Their ATM machine ate my PNC card. PNC charged me $7 for a new card, but reversed it because it wasn't my fault the machine ate it. The manager at BOA was a nasty bitch and didn't care.

Just to make it clear - It was NOT a BOA around here. Central Jersey.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

I thought I was about to read an article about my ex-wife when I saw this title. LOL

I got rid of Bank of America and went to PNC. I like their business practices better.

Metsman Metsman
Aug '13

D'oh...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

Small banks are the way to go. I love Peapack Gladstone bank. Not extremely convenient since the closest one to hackettstown is Long Valley, but they're a really great bank.

Lunasmom Lunasmom
Aug '13

I would never bank with a company that gives credit cards to illegal immigrants without social security numbers. BofA is the worst.

Can you elaborate more about the locking everything in PV though?

ljrubi ljrubi
Aug '13

the story is complete bs, BOA does not charge $5 for replacement debit cards. I issued 4 already today and there is no charge.

liar liar liar liar
Aug '13

Sorry, liar liar. I can pm you the name of the woman who in the downtown branch who informed me of this. I wouldn't waste my time on here lying.

Why would ess make that up?

And the skank is BOA, not the one who stole your purse.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

@ljrubi: Middle of the night break-ins. Same old crap.

Was your home broken into it a car?

A good day
Aug '13

well then that person needs to be fired because there is no such policy. The Hackettstown branch?

liar liar liar liar
Aug '13

I like the hometown banks to what the problem is with mine. It has changed names 4 times in the last six years and every time it does I have to buy new checks

oldred
Aug '13

oldred - skip the checks and pay online. 99.9% free. ;)

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

Change over to a credit union. I know it's the last thing you want to hear when you're going through having to replace all of your documents, I feel your pain. Once this is resolved, get your money out of that BofA crapstand.

AliciaStill AliciaStill
Aug '13

I have had more than one bank, both the personal one and the business one change names. Never ordered new checks. Never ordered the new check stamper either, old accounts just carry over.

The Hackettstown branch on stiger, yes liar liar. Where do you work? And yes my home and car good day.

What part of PV is experiencing home and auto break in's?

LJRubi LJRubi
Aug '13

ESS. Sorry to hear that. They are scum and will get what they deserve eventually.

A good day
Aug '13

Loosely related to this story - I went away this weekend (near AC), and left the front door to my house open from 9am on Saturday until 4pm yesterday. Came home, and nothing had happened, thankfully. I checked the house ten times for psychopaths. Still only one here...

I am thankful that nothing happened, am sorry for the thefts ess, and I do not recommend my mode of home security to anyone.

Oh, and I hate banks too, for what it is worth.

liar liar- Ess is telling the truth because one..I used to work for a BOA and two I have lost debit cards in the past (I would lose my head if it wasn't attached to my neck!) and I was always charged $5.00 to replace them. Maybe it depends on the teller you get, but that is a standard thing.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Aug '13

Nothin' good about Bank of Amigo.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Aug '13

I agree that small regional banks seem to be the way to go. The large banks don't care about giving loans (revenue) or gaining interest (revenue) anymore, they seem to exist for service fees.

I had one account at Wells Fargo that if I didn't keep a couple grand average in it, the service fee was $30 per month. For that money, they should buy me dinner once a month.

However, if you can live without brick n mortar, Ally does a nice job and they are very human for an internet/800 bank.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '13

I live near the back gate of PV. We even had our TV on! Moron! The guard was useless when I called. The State Police were excellent, despite their delay in getting here.

Straight from the BofA Web site:

Are there fees for requesting a replacement debit card?
There are fees for each requested replacement of an ATM or debit card. The replacement fee does not apply when we replace a card upon its expiration. Fees also apply for each requested rush delivery of an ATM or debit card, including the requested rush delivery of debit sticker (tag) or other debit access device. A Replacement ATM or Debit Card Fee may also apply and would be in addition to the rush delivery fee. Please see your Personal Schedule of Fees for more details. Note that fees apply when used at a non-Bank of America ATM.

Another reason to move everything to another bank. BoA is scary, I learned that when I was in my early 20's and was not as meticulous with my checking account as I am now. Several times I would glance at a statement and see random fees that if I called would be removed. Would never bank with them again. I use PNC now and have no complaints (except their credit card stopped giving good rewards, so switched to another credit card). I highly recommend them for checking - no cost, they usually give you a hundred bucks or so when you open an account and have your paycheck direct deposited, and they reimburse you for all ATM fees, that is very handy.
I am sorry about the purse - hope karma gets the bastards that stole it.

Natalie Natalie
Aug '13

So BoA's policy was clearly defined on their web site. You have no argument then.

umjustcurious
Aug '13

botheredbyu,

Why is BOA a skank, yet not the thief who set this all in action?

ess,

Both home & car were broken into, which was your purse in?

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Aug '13

Right umjustcurious. I am sure if u had your wallet stolen you would go on a web site first to verify fees before canceling your cards.

We have several accounts with B of A and are customers they say they want to keep, and of course, always trying to upgrade. We had a savings account with minimal money in it that we wanted to close because they charged us $5 a month to have it. After 2 years of fees, it would be drained, but we had a home equity and a checking account as well. When we tried to close the savings account last year, they convinced us that if we transferred $25 a month automatically from our checking to our savings it would be free. We fell for it. Yet despite their "deal", each month they continue to charge us the $5. Each month we go in (in the good old days to PV - now we have to drive to Stiger Street) to have them remove it. Each month the people at the desks are amazed that their system doesn't work. Each month they take off the charge and say it won;t happen again. B of A corporate has an "open ticket" to resolve this nationwide problem. It was supposed to be resolved by June but now it is Aug. 31st. How convenient to BofA that they charge customers nationwide $5 each month that they are not supposed to. How many people do not check their bill? What a fraud! There should be a class action suit. They are unethical as a corporation - I think the local BofA people mean well, it is corporate that is ripping us off. $5 a month nationwide - just how much money is BofA pocketing illegally? Who saw Office Space - that was only fractions of pennies.

observer3 observer3
Aug '13

Lori - Oopss.... forgot the ? Was really asking ess which one is more "skanky".

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

My husband lost his card with PNC and we were charged $7.00 for a replacement card. I was irrate and pulled my accounts..I deal with Tri Co and also Ally. I love both of the banks.

Got it bbu, LOL

Aug '13

lets settle this

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/manage/faq-atm-cards.go

There are fees for each requested replacement of an ATM or debit card. The replacement fee does not apply when we replace a card upon its expiration. Fees also apply for each requested rush delivery of an ATM or debit card, including the requested rush delivery of debit sticker (tag) or other debit access device. A Replacement ATM or Debit Card Fee may also apply and would be in addition to the rush delivery fee

https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/resources/personal-schedule-fees.go

Replacement ATM or Debit Card Fee $5.00 per card

skippy skippy
Aug '13

I'm getting ready to pull all our family accounts from PNC too. Too many issues.
And starting Jan. 2014 they will be charging a fee if your checking acct falls below $500. Ridiculous!!!

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

Longtime BofA customer. I've never had the problems all of you have run into. I stay with them because you really can't beat the availability of their ATM's. They're everywhere. So convenient. We keep enough of a balance that there's never any fees.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '13

I was so excited when I saw Skank, I really thought I was going to read some juicy opinions that we all witness on HL!

notafan notafan
Aug '13

ess,
umjustcurious didn't say anything about checking the website before canceling cards, he/she just stated that it wasn't a secret.

Karma will get the thief eventually...

Aug '13

Yes, Lori, was thinking the same thing. You can blame companies all you want, but if you don't read the terms of things when you sign up, then that is on you. They revamped the card laws and disclosures awhile ago so that they are all spelled out concisely in one spot. Do I read everything? No, but I'm usually aware of the important stuff.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '13

BBU - Per the PNC website the change doesn't take place until June 2014, not January. Also, if you are a student and you show proof of enrollment they will waive the fees. Check with your local branch.

Free Checking

Effective August 18, 2013, Free Checking will no longer be available for new accounts.

Our new account Standard Checking will be available.
•There is no monthly service charge for Standard Checking if you meet any ONE of the following requirements:

◦$500 in combined, qualifying monthly direct deposits*
◦$500 average monthly balance in this account
◦Account holder is age 62+

Otherwise, the monthly service charge is $7.
•There is no charge for paper statements if you meet the above requirements. If not, there will be a $2 fee.
•If you open Free Checking prior to August 18, 2013, your account will be moved to Standard Checking in June 2014.

If you have questions, you may call us at 1-888-PNC-BANK or visit us at a branch.

Bottom line they Suck! Check NPR.

fitter
Aug '13

Fee is free minus the r!

BLD - Thanks. Will have to pull my paperwork and re-read it. Thought I read differently. I have had a regular checking acct with them for about 2 years and there are no fees and no balance needed. So not happy that's going to change. Thanks again.

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Aug '13

Bank of America is up to it's antics again.

I don't have any accounts with them but go in all the time to cash one of their checks I receive from my work. Today for no reason I had to get "approval" and sure enough I got the "speech" --
"oh, we HOPE we won't have to charge you in the future to cash a check -- Chase Bank is now charging $10 to cash a check --- who knows if WE might have to do this too, because Chase is now charging ..... (she then waved my check in the air and said TEN DOLLARS -- we might have to charge you TEN DOLLARS to cash this check, waving it like a flag ..... LOL)
Then she asked me where I bank (none of their business) but I told them. She then put down M&T (the former Hudson) saying
"oh, Hudson USED to have good CD rates, but who knows about now, M&T is a COMMERCIAL bank. Who knows what their rates will be now."

By the way, I also heard them ask a man doing banking there where HE banks as well.

Then came her cheap ploy ......
"If you open a savings account with just $300 --- slush money ----- you won't be charged to cash a check."

Is Bank of America so desperate for my $300 ??
LOL

By the way, BOA:
Your interest rates for Cd's are --- from 0.05 to 0.15 ---- even if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars and lock it up to 10 years !!!!

Some examples of M&T rates are:
9 mth - 0.75
13 mth - 1.06
36 mth - 1.65

happiest girl
Apr '16

So if you have your own bank account elsewhere why not just deposit the check there?

The only time I've ever had to enter a bank as a non-account holder was when I sold a car and I wanted to witness the teller handing their customer (the guy who bought the car) a cashier's check for the payment.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '16

The answer, Mark, is because I am free to do so.

happiest girl
Apr '16

Banks are all the same they just screw you in different positions

All Banks are doing this now. When you deposit in your account they hold it for a ridiculous amount of time.

Christine Christine
Apr '16

M&T Bank (the old Hudson)(2 to 3 day hold on deposited checks) and Fulton Bank (if you deposit a ck today it is cleared by tomorrow). Both wonderful banks. I highly recommend both for I have never had an issue with "unknown fees"!

Jacqui Jacqui
Apr '16

"The answer, Mark, is because I am free to do so."

Then don't complain because you *choose* to use a bank with which you have no customer account. Banks actually have no legal obligation to cash a check at all for a non-customer.

That's like complaining that Sprint won't give you free data on your Verizon cell phone and Gold's Gym won't take your Planet Fitness discount card.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '16

Hey, Mark, don't tell me ---- or anyone --- what we can and can't do.

"Banks actually have no legal obligation to cash a check at all for a non-customer" --Mark

Too bad you were not able to understand what you read.
BOA does, and did cash my check. My post was about how ridiculous and unprofessional the woman was.
LOL

happiest girl
Apr '16

Christine - I get next day clearance on all checks at Fulton. Even out of state.

Banks have no legal obligation to cash one of their checks for non customers. Can set any policy/fee they want. It takes up time and can deplete their cash for when their actual customers come in.

Friday afternoons would be a line out the door when I would go in. All non customers Cashing their paycheck

Darwin Darwin
Apr '16

Yes, next day clearance at Fulton. Great customer service too, just like at M&T.

happiest girl
Apr '16

"Too bad you were not able to understand what you read. "

I understood perfectly. You were whining because BOA said they could/should charge you a fee. I'm just saying you're lucky they cashed it at all.

They provided a service and you got your knickers in a bunch because there is a potential fee involved in doing so.

I highly doubt the teller was waving things around and yelling out the fees. I've never seen a bank employee exhibit any animated behavior... it's probably a pretty dull job and it's all they can do to even stay awake.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '16

LOL at Mark!

happiest girl
Apr '16

I've done business with B of A for 20 years with no issues whatsoever.

texaskeystone texaskeystone
Apr '16

I have a savings at Fulton and never had a problem when I went there for my business checking. Although I did like it better as Skylands. They got stuffy and all of a sudden people I was use to were gone. Don't talk to me about the uniforms. UGG

M&T is my checking and I have been with them since my teens. Then it was Orange Savings Bank BUT when it was Hudson they held my out of state checks 10 days. It was ridiculous especially since I had enough in my checking to cover it. Now M&T has the Debit card with the chip and I have so many problems with it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. AND they only allow one debit per account. My husband and I are going crazy sharing a card!!

Christine Christine
May '16

10 Days? WTF. Today's banking clearing house means all checks clear the same. That's down right criminal. Last I knew the max allowed out of state was 5 business days. (7 calendar days) Only foreign checks could be more than that. If that was what they were doing, they could well owe a lot of customers compensation for their fees back.

Chips are a bit problematic everywhere. Some places don't have the equipment, some readers are rejecting legit cards, etc.

Banks are the worst. Best of luck through this situation.

Hank Arthur
May '16

Bank employees get transferred all the time.I have been with Fulton bank for years.I don't care that they changed the name.Now we care about what they wear? Explain Christine.

Meadows girl
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.