poison ivy?-help

burning and painful blisters on hands. Looks like 3rd degree burns

mysty mysty
Jul '13

Welcome to my world. I currently have it on my eye lids, face, hands, feet, and legs.

They don't do shots anymore but you can get a RX for lotion that helps big time.

Also, Dawn dish soap helps with the spreading as it washing the oils off of you.

Nosila Nosila
Jul '13

zanfel $40 a tube but worth every penny, Instant releif

wally85 wally85
Jul '13

Previous discussion:

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/425122

Tecnu is a good product, one of the ones that works.

But wally85 is right - Zanfel is the absolute best above all the others. It won't just work on removing the poison oil, it will give you relief from the itching right away. Remember to follow the directions and rub the zanfel paste between your hands first, then on where the poison is. It's gritty to get the oil all out from under your skin. Really works.

tecnu.

http://www.amazon.com/Poison-Oak-And-Treatment-Tecnu/dp/B0006GDBI6

sack
Jul '13

Walgreens Poison Ivy Wash Dual Action Formula, the exact generic of ZANFEL for $24.99 - a savings of $15.00 and Benadryl.

Tea Tree Oil cleared up quickly on my son.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jul '13

jrsemom - Completely off topic from poison ivy, but could you describe the odor of tea tree oil? There's an industry on line forum that's discussing that at the moment.

Nosila: Since when did they stop giving shots for poison ivy? I know I went last year and got a shot and I have a friend, like you, who usually gets a severe reaction to poison ivy and she gets a shot. My husband has it bad right now, I threw every lotion, wash, cream, etc. that I had in my arsenal at him this morning; poor guy has to do a presentation today in long sleeves! BLD: thanks for that info on the Walgreens product...btw Zanfel didn't work for me last year!

Iris- I was told several years ago that they do not do it anymore. I asked two different doctors and all I got was the an RX for the lotion.

I used to get the shot :(

Nosila Nosila
Jul '13

What did they give as a shot? I've had a course if Prednisone when I had some PI/allergic reaction.

Blackcat Blackcat
Jul '13

If you have good medical insurance the RX cream only cost me $3.00

Nosila Nosila
Jul '13

@ Iris,
They do still give the shot. It just depends on how bad your reaction is and your physician.

PianoGirl PianoGirl
Jul '13

I still can get a cortizone shots and steroid pills when I have had severe poison ivy. You must wash all sheets, towels, clothes, etc. Immediately. Wash with Tecnu or dish washing liquid immediately to remove all oils from your body. BTW--it is a myth that ypu can spread the rash after the oils have been removed from scratching--all you could get is more irritated and a possible skin infection. I, unfortunately, have dealt w this all my life!

Tigermom
Jul '13

GC- tea tree oil smells!! it's very strong (very odorous as soon as you open the top) and god help you if you should get any ANYWHERE because you'll smell it for days. It's a smell kind of like bad incense, hard to explain. Kinda earthy but so strong it's a nightmare. it works wonders but be careful not to leave it open, spill, or leave anything (tissues, Q-tips, cotton balls) out with it on there because I'm serious, it reeks.

persona persona
Jul '13

I use a product called ivyx by cortex products...They have a before and after wipe that works great..

Mr tone Mr tone
Jul '13

GC, the scent is sinus clearing. Some people actually like the scent and find it refreshing. I don't but I tolerate it as it's an excellent natural antiseptic.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jul '13

persona - Earthy as in soil, earthy as in mushrooms, earthy as in pine trees, earthy as in a side walk after it rains, etc. Anything else you could point to as a comparison?

Thanks.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/domeboro-astringent-solution-powder-packets/ID=prod5012-product

embryodad embryodad
Jul '13

YESSS Embryodad! Domeboro! I thought the same thing! Probably because it's what you and mom gave me to use. HAHAHA... GOOD STUFF! Makes a nice drying, soothing paste.

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

Met a woman- gardener his morning. I mentioned my poison ivy. She commented that all life is balance. I asked her what she was speaking of and she said that next to where poison ivy grows there is usually a tubular plant with bright orange flowers, very thick stemmed. She said the hummingbirds love this plant. It is the counter of poison ivy. You break it and use the inside as a salve like aloe. She went on about how nature balances everything and we just need to inquire and we will always find the answers close by. She uses the salve when she has any hint of the poison ivy and swears it works promptly. Interesting. I went home and honestly found this plant next to my poison ivy. I tried the salve on my arms about 6 tonight and will let you guys know tomorrow.

JackTrefer
Jul '13

Jump in a pool. Chlorine helps to dry it out. Next time you think you've been anywhere near poison ivy, wash up. I used to work in a landscape nursery. After a few times of getting poison ivy pretty bad, I learned to rinse off at the nearest hose regularly. Never had a problem after that. If you wash up within 30 min to an hour of contact, you won't break out. Or very minimally, and it won't spread. Like Tigermom said, you can't spread it after you wash off the oil.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '13

All these well intended folks have very helpful suggestions; some may help more than others. But if your poison ivy reaction is to the blister stage, you need medical help. Coritco steroids are essential to get you real relief. In the future, Tecnu, and other means of removing the poisonous oil, and topical treatments for what rash does develop are great. But for now, please seek medical assistance. The last thing you want is an infection in that rash. Best of luck and healing to you.

GC- like a strong pepperminty smell.

persona persona
Aug '13

persona - Thanks. Interesting to put bad incense together with peppermint. I wonder if they added that to the oil. Peppermint is said to be "woody" but sweet. They might use it as compatible to something musty but you want to sweeten it.

GC - I don't think it smells like peppermint- more of a Wintergreen (BenGay) meets pine-sol. I have very sensitive skin and if I use too much tea tree oil then my skin goes crazy. I have to dilute it with a carrier oil and pray for the best really. Allergies to tea tree oil are in fact quite common. Also, men tend to be more sensitive to this particular oil and from what I've read in it, the testerone levels can be affected. Use sparingly! I think if you want to use it for nail fungus though that you should be okay.

Antimony Antimony
Aug '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.