Paint the pole ! :)

Ok I know that this is trival however everytime I ride by the Hackettstown Post Office it really bugs me that the flag pole needs to be painted------badly !
I just feel it is really disrespectful to the American Flag ----especially from a government building
I know many are saying---well then go paint it.....and I would if I could.
Thanks......just had to vent.....

ziggy ziggy
Jul '13

I was thinking just the same thing today.

PetPeeve
Jul '13

I noted that a few years back as well and was looking to have a Boy Scout refinish it as part of an Eagle project. Sadly liability prevented it.

That is a specialty job and it was done before and will be done again. Take a good look while driving by your house!

fitter
Jul '13

if they display the american flag on it - it needs to be in good repair. otherwise take the flag down. men and women have died for that flag.

skippy skippy
Jul '13

I think a lift truck is req'd to paint the pole. Perhaps a local business with one would loan or rent it out cheaply to a service organization that could supply the manpower to paint the pole. This has bothered me for a long time, and I have spoken to the postmistress about it, but no result. Is the BID interested? Or one of the veteran's organizations? I'd be happy to help. Anyone else?

At the time my thought was to include the VFW and the American Legion as well as the other the civic organizations in town for supplies and support. I was thinking Grand Rental Station for one of their lifts; or even Wires Electric for their help as they have bucket trucks too. Naturally some of the sign companies in town as well if needed for their lifts. My thought was to include some sort of permanant perhaps bronze marker(s) at the base of the pole that included what the American flag represents as well as flag etiquette. I envisioned a brick paver surround at the base with the markers and have the pavers etched with the various donor names and etc.
Again, I thought this could be a great Eagle Scout project. It woud take some time to raise all of the monies and in kind donations but could be accomplished.

I think the whole front of the post office building needs a little help. Needs to be weeded, swept and cleaned up!

Christine Christine
Jul '13

Wow! I was thinking this just yesterday. For some reason, it never stood out to me as much as the other day and it really looks terrible. Can we start donations or something to help raise money for paint/cherry picker?

persona persona
Jul '13

thanks for saying this...complete disgrace that bothers me each time i drive by. Who is the postmaster there anyway? maybe a phone call campaign is in order?

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Jul '13

Thank you all for your support....I thought I was the only one who was bothered by this. I think a phone call campaign and or a mention to someone at the post office each time we go in might help. At the very least they will get sick of hearing about the unpainted pole holding the Flag of America and something may get done.....

ziggy ziggy
Jul '13

The post office building in Stanhope is in terrible shape too. Next time I'm there I'll check their flag pole!

When I mentioned this one day (after ran had poured onto my head from a overflowing gutter), the clerk said that the building was rented and there was "nothing they could do".

So many things could be done just with volunteer labor if Americans weren't so lawsuit happy!

hktownie hktownie
Jul '13

"Nothing they could do" maybe they should ask the owner of the building to fix it. They (us) are paying rent and should demand that the owner fix things. Unfortunately it sounds like they don't give a crap.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

not, unfortunately, surprised to hear their response --

have you observed how the mail carriers dress anymore...many are downright slovenly with dirty hair, baseball caps, shirts untucked, and ratty dirty shoes...remember when postal workers were almost revered and took pride in their duties! ours smoked so badly that we had to request a different carrier because our mail stunk and bothered allergies.

since the USPS is not a true gov't agency, past calling the postmaster, who do we contact?

Gen3Townie Gen3Townie
Jul '13

any ideas?

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '13

Somebody Do Something features Allentown post office flagpole.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/allentown/index.ssf/2013/11/somebody_do_something_pole_for.html#incart_river_default

Perhaps if Allentown gets a positive result, Hackettstown can follow suit.

I think the pole has cancer.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Dec '13

It's painted! Looks fresh and clean.

seenit
Oct '14

i drove by this morning and couldn't believe it! so much nicer. looks like they are fixing the steps too.

Poppy Girl
Oct '14

Just to give you an update, and for the many concerned citizens that stopped in the post office. This has been an ongoing project for over two years. The Hackettstown post office had to be put on a waiting list as the project was a capital expense due to lead based paint. Your local office had to have engineers and DEP involved and when the funding was finnally approved in September, we recieved the go ahead to complete the project. I personally wanted nothing more than this repair work to be completed, as I am a veteran myself. It wasn't an easy task. I had to go through many steps incuding local officials, Mayor Giovanni, Conressman Garret, Senator Booker, Senator Menendez, My local, district, area and headquarters office along with the Postmaser Generals office. It was a trying period, and I would like to thank all cutomers and officials involved and especially thank my customers for their patience and the hackettstown Police Department for their services.

Postmaster Hackettst Postmaster Hackettst
Oct '14

great job!

skippy skippy
Oct '14

If this isn't an example of how ridiculous bureaucracy is, I'm not sure what is. Glad this got done.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

So much more respectful.. thanks for your perseverance!

hktownie hktownie
Oct '14

Thank you for your perseverance. I am sure it would never have been done if you and your employees had not kept up the pressure, it would have been ugly for another ten years. Thanks for listening to my complaints. The flag can now fly in the style it deserves.

sientje smith sientje smith
Oct '14

I could not agree more, Calico.

It does look great. Everyone involved in the process should feel a great sense of accomplishment and pride. Thanks to all!

Thank you Hackettstown Postmaster for seeing this through to completion. It always made me sad to look at that flagpole in such disrepair. It looks Wonderful now, and our Flag can wave Proudly at the pole's top.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Oct '14

This is a prime example of why we are in the state we are in. Engineer's, DEP, the Mayor, our Congressman, Senator's Menendez and Booker, local district and area headquarters and the Postmaster General all to get a flagpole painted. God only knows how much it cost in time and money to get this done. I am glad it ius finally done but two years and a ridiculous process says a lot about how government has run amok.

kb2755 kb2755
Oct '14

All those people were needed to get a flag pole painted? Government work at it's finest.

darwin darwin
Oct '14

Should have taken it down and put up a aluminum pole and not have to go through all the BS next time, just sayin.

rapmuzik rapmuzik
Oct '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.