Is Rich Appel at WRNJ?

I've missed Rich Appel's show the last two Saturdays. Is he still with WRNJ? Sort of a selfish reason for asking here, since Rich has allowed me air time on his shows to relive old sports memories.

Anybody could look stuff up on the internet or research almanacs, but I enjoyed sharing actual experiences from my early days of sports reporting when I was very lucky to have a job that enabled me to meet people like Phil Rizzuto, Richie Allen, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe, the Flyers, Phillies, Ed Kranepool, on and on. ... and I never asked for a dime for going on Rich's programs ... just did it because it was fun.

Well, Rich, if you've actually listened to that lady who said "take your records and get out of here" and have moved on to other things, thanks for your friendship and I'll always remember your advice ... the best thing to be, is to be yourself.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

I was wondering the same thing, Andy. I've missed listening to him on my way to and from work the last two Saturdays.

I didn't hear the lady telling him to leave but maybe she should have just changed the radio station. While he didn't always play music I loved, the commentary was fun and he was a great help during the hurricane last fall. How many others were so dedicated that they slept at the station to keep us updated!

If he is gone, he will be missed but I hope he's just on an extended leave since he is still listed as personality on their website!

Rich is such a nice guy plus very music knowledgable plus entertaining. I wondered also, "Where is Rich?" I hope he is on vacation. But, then, I remember Doc's departure from WRNJ; here today; gone the next with no announcement whatsoever. I still miss Doc and hope I don't have to add Rich to my 'miss' list. Does anybody have the answer to "Where is Rich?"

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jul '13

I found his Facebook page, no mention of WRNJ or the Rest of the Week since his last show two weeks ago. Someone asked in the comments when he'd be back but he didn't answer. There's also a fan page to his show but no mention of his absence the last two weeks.

Since we know WRNJ monitors this site, I wonder if they'll chime in shortly.

This has been week "3" and no Rich Appel, my weekends are not the same. I have stopped listening to the station as much as I really enjoyed his shows. The music is the same as the other stations, love those oldies he played and all of his knowledge. I have some other friends asking me if I know where he is and they are not listening that much either, it is just not the same. I hope WRNJ brings back "The Rest of the Week with Rich Appel".

Karen Jacobs Karen Jacobs
Jul '13

For those of you who missed it, that "take your records and get out of here" was one of several bits he had to close his show. He also had clips from the Jetsons, Flintstones, all kinds of funny stuff. He often used a funny Leave It To Beaver clip to lead into ABC news.

He really put his heart and soul into connecting with Hackettstown .... one day he asked me for a Tigers football roster and next thing I knew, he put together a song about the team (including lots of names) called The Boys of Hackettstown, to the tune of The Boys Are Back in Town.

He also did a Hurray For Hackettstown song to the tune of Hurray for Hollywood that Jim Sheldon and the Htown BID people should have loved.

I listened to Dan Ingram, Joey Reynolds, all the old classic DJs and Rich is the best ever, in my book, with all due respect to my friends Russ and Dave.

Also, a kind word to Terry Southard, who did so much to help me do football broadcasts, both on the air and off, a wonderful fellow who suddenly is out of the picture, as well.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

Here is his email. Ask him and get back to us.

therestoftheweek@verizon.net

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

Done. Sent him the email.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

For those who don't know what they have been missing, here's a little sampling of the show. If nothing here makes you laugh, then you just aren't human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrQDoFjKKiw

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

I just asked Rich why he is not on and he told me its not his decision! I am so upset! I loved his show and so did so many of my customers. Every Saturday we would all wait for the trivia! I loved his selection of music and he had great interviews.

WHAT are you thinking WRNJ? SERIOUSLY! You have made a HUGE mistake about this. The last 2 weekends were so boring! Why???????

I am not going to listen now! BRING BACK RICH!!!!!!

Christine Christine
Jul '13

I think the "powers that be" on WRNJ are again messing with the programming and the personalities that many of the local audience loved. To this day, I miss Doc South and now I can add Rich Appel to the list. I guess they really don't care about the longtime listener nor, in fact, the older listener. I waited for Doc South to come on the air and I found Rich Appel very interesting, informative and an overall nice person. I loved the trivia part as well. I don't understand the thinking but I guess they never heard the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". We want the oldies music brought back to our local radio station. I can choose any station and hear the same music but WRNJ has billed itself as a local station and should, at least, put your longtime listener into the decision making.

justwondering justwondering
Jul '13

Please everyone write to Norm Worth at WRNJ.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

Odd that this happened. Rich always mentioned at the close of his show to tell others about his show--and especially WRNJ. I'd been meaning to do that for some time. About three-four weeks ago, I wrote WRNJ (Norm Worth, I believe) and mentioned how much I enjoy the radio station, but ESPECIALLY Rich Appel. I actually don't think I've heard him back on since I wrote it. What a jinx that turned out to be.

I just checked the WRNJ website, and he's still listed under the Personalities.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jul '13

I sent a message to them on their website. I, too, miss his weekend shows. He was also their go-to guy for filling in for the other on-air personalities. So sad

Hockeymom115 Hockeymom115
Jul '13

I also just sent a message to Norman Worth thru the WRNJ website. He was the only personality left that was worth listening to and the best thing to happen to WRNJ since Doc South! Has anyone else noticed the change in music that they've been playing lately? There is a lot of music from the 90's. The other day they played a song from Train from 2012. Not my kind of changes going on there at the radio station!

Beverly 2 Beverly 2
Jul '13

Lets not blast WRNJ too much just yet. Remember how we were all singing their praises during the excellent coverage that they provided during the Storm Sandy last year-

For all we know, this could be an issue with Rich moving on to bigger and better things, or possibly even making demands WRNJ just cannot afford.

I always thought Rich was talented enough to be on a major market- NYC for example- I think he is that good-

Much like Mark Simone, who is now on WOR, Rich really provides an entertaining show- I really am a big fan.

But, the inner workings of a small station like WRNJ sometimes are just not able to keep talent- and lets face it too- they probably arent paying all that much!

I also missed Doc South- and if Rich is truly gone, it is a loss- but will open the way for another talented, yet unknown person to get a chance to fill the slot.

WRNJ has a budget and internal struggles, like any business-

I hope Rich is just taking a break- and is on to bigger and better things.

But, much like Russ Long- if it doesnt work, I hope he comes back.

WRNJ- you serve us well- if the station cannot comment on this thread, I understand, it might be something that is internal and not for public consumption.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jul '13

Rhyme animal read above this was not Rich's idea!

What really makes me mad that he was the most popular! No word from WRNJ he is just gone! Explain please. Yes money is tight everywhere....but I know that there is enough to keep him on! BRING HIM BACK! You made a huge mistake.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

I guess I'm the only one. I'm glad he's gone. I will turn WRNJ back on Saturday mornings. His vociferous howl and my 6 am coffee didn't go well together.

auntiel auntiel
Jul '13

I agree with auntiel i'm glad he is gone too. Very hyper for my taste.

Dear Mr. Worth:

I stopped in at the station Friday (7/19) to (politely) voice my outrage at the sudden disappearance from your airwaves of Rich Appel and his terrific weekend shows. I have maintained for a very long time how fortunate WRNJ was to have a man of his talents, energy and dedication as part of its on-air staff; in fact, in spreading the word among family and friends about Rich, I have often wondered why a major market station had not grabbed him, so high is the quality of his work. His show is seamless, informative and highly entertaining, especially his Top 20 countdown every Sunday where one gets to hear the great songs that have long since disappeared from radio. Even New York has nothing to compare with "The Rest of the Week," at least since the demise of WNEW well over twenty years ago. I cannot believe that you do not appreciate the tremendous amount of preparation Rich must put into his program in order to give it the variety it offers listeners, nor do you seem to value the fact that Rich has always "been there" to cover for other DJs, thus giving evidence of his loyalty to the station, something that is very obvious to astute listeners. The person I met on Friday said she did not know why Rich was "on leave" nor whether the "leave" was temporary or permanent; I hope it is the former. I have had my radio alarm set to WRNJ for a very long time. I was upset by your sudden dumping of Peter Ward, who also put together a sophisticated Sunday morning program, supposedly because of your quest to appeal to a "younger audience," but I stayed with the station anyway. Not this time, however. I shall boycott WRNJ until Rich is restored to your line-up. Sincerely, Nick Andrian, Hampton,

Nick Andrian Nick Andrian
Jul '13

Please check the Rest of the Week page on Facebook where there are now several comments. I wrote an e-mail to Norman Worth about Rich.

Oldies Fan Oldies Fan
Jul '13

I too will boycott WRNJ until Rich Appel is brought back! It was not Rich's idea to leave, WRNJ canned him in an effort to update the station and appeal to a younger audience.
That is quite obvious from the music that they are now playing. If you are also upset by Rich's termination, please go to WRNJ's Facebook page and voice your opinion. You can also send an email to the station's owner at: nworth@wrnj.com

Elizabeth Elizabeth
Jul '13

Re: Is Rich Appel at WRNJ?

Right on Nick!!

All they are interested in is the I phone zombie generation of Rap Crap Music.

True talent is a dying act! It is a shame but its reality. We grow up in the best generation as far as I see it. I had nothing and I had everything!

At least I have my jukebox to enjoy!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

I too tuned in every Saturday morning preparing for work and loved Rich's show. I loved hearing the early music from that day that no other station plays. He worked hard finding the songs from exactly the date 20, 30 plus years ago. It was a lot of fun what he put together. Now it's back to being boring!

Spring
Jul '13

Does anyone know why he is gone? Everyone is jumping to conclusions and no one on here is saying why he is gone? Christine said that Rich told her it wasn't his decision (what does that mean)? Is Rich telling the truth or is he hiding something? I'm glad he is gone (for whatever reason) like I said before and will tune in to WRNJ . Thank you Norman. And to SNOW I think I heard more then just Rich on the radio during SANDY.

Not to knock anyone, but Rich has more personality than many other WRNJ personalities combined. His love for what he does comes through and it's nice to hear something other than the typical "WRNJ Juke Box", which I suspect is often automated.

I would listen to him on Saturdays & Sundays, but will start surfing the dial on weekends now. On a side note, I miss his interactions with the news guy Terry. Those two worked really well together.

PetPeeve
Jul '13

Rich's show was the best thing on radio! Not only did you get to hear great music,you also received an education about the music,and the pop culture of whatever year he was covering.

I will no longer listen to the station until Rich is back!
I am also going to make it a point to boycott WRNJ advertisers that I usually visit..Stella G's,Marley's and Hometown Hardware come to mind. I will make Sure these business's
know about it to!

Catswamper Catswamper
Jul '13

Mr. Negative- Is that a 1957 Seeburg VL200?

WRNJ will find out the hard way who their real audience is. Trying to reach a younger audience on AM radio has long since passed. Kids don't even listen to FM anymore. My kids use their I phones and MP3 players to listen to music whether at home or in the car. I also miss Peter Ward's Sunday morning show.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

@o no - at what point did I say that Rich was the only personality on WRNJ during Sandy? Oh that's right, I didn't, what I did say is that he was the only one spending the night at the station to keep us updated. I appreciate all the radio hosts that took time to keep us updated during the storm but I'm pretty sure this topic is about Rich!

Well, Snow, I learned a long time ago that people don't read what you really wrote.

So many times I've had folks come to me and say, "how could you write such and such," and I would just reply, "I didn't write that."

Reading and comprehension skills are sadly lacking today.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

I think the idea that WRNJ is trying to appeal to a "younger- more hip" audience is nonsense.

You listen to Dave Kelber in the AM? Now, Dave is a great guy, and a true pro, but he really caters to an audience pushing the other side of 60.

If they were serious about a real change- which I don't think that they are changing anything format wise- a change in the AM would be the first thing that they might do.

That they aren't, tells me they aren't doing any format changing.

Music that is classified as "old" is growing all the time- They play lots of stuff from the 80's now- even some stuff newer than that- but their format is essentially oldies and contemporary- with an occasional odd ball newer song thrown in.

I always thought that if they wanted to expand the audience, Rich Appel in the AM would be a great choice.

Now that appears to not have a chance.

As long as Dave and Russ are the two AM and PM anchors, WRNJ format wise and personality wise will remain the same- that is where the "big" dollar advertising is, AM and PM drive time- those personalties draw people who have money, older people (and yes, even me!)

WRNJ has a good niche here, lets not at all forget the community service they provided during the last couple of crisis.

And, what about a possible new personality coming to fill Rich's spot?

Someone new might bring some real talent- they just haven't had the chance yet.

I wish Russ Long would bring back the Hackettstown Life Forum discussion part of the program, this topic would be good to hear!

Jul '13

Even if the HL Forum part of the show was being done, I highly doubt WRNJ would have such an open forum on their program schedule. It would be a bold move if they did, one that I would respect.

But Rhyme Animal, I think you are exactly right...there are no major changes afoot as long as AM & PM Drive remain largely unchanged in terms of both the hosts and content of their programs.

Come to think of it...in recent months Rich filled in for Russ at times...I wonder who slots in when Russ takes some time off these days...

PetPeeve
Jul '13

I think that boycotting businesses that advertise on WRNJ is not only shortsighted, but potentially harmful to town. People complain about empty storefronts in town, and now someone is taking about hurting businesses that ARE operating successfully and bringing people to Main Street? Why? Because they advertise on one of the very few local media outlets available? Really?

How about rethinking your plan and not hurting small, independent businesses like Stella`s and Hometown Hardware that are part of our local economy?

I think notifying the businesses that advertise on WRNJ is informing them of what is going on but I would NEVER boycott the businesses. They had nothing to do with their decision.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

SNOW this is what you wrote "he was a great help during the hurricane last fall." What about the other DJ's that helped? Snow do you know first hand that he was the only one that slept there? Did others sleep there? Can you answer those questions? ANDY why don't you learn to read yourself because that's what she wrote. "Reading and comprehension skills are sadly lacking today." you are what you write.

Even the songs by the Backstreet Boys are "oldies" now and Taylor Swift's songs would be hits in any era ... what WRNJ really needs to do is be the LOCAL source for keeping everyone informed about what is going on in their community. Entertainment Tonight just does not do it for me.

There are lots of young people in the area involved in local sports ... and they maintain really good grades and do community service, too. They will go on into careers that are something other than sports. You never hear about them on WRNJ.

I don't want to burn any bridges by being some sort of a critic, but that's a point I needed to make. WRNJ seems to be unsure of just what exactly it wants to be, so I hope they take anything I say in the spirit of it being suggestions. I do it publicly because public opinion matters ... if someone in the public agrees with what I say, that helps make my case, since ratings and public opinion are everything in radio.

If Rich needed to make any changes to his show, he would have done them and in a most professional way. His shoes will be very hard to fill.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

@Gregg

Yes that is a 1957 vl200 and here is my 1956 v200

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

Bring back the "GOOD GUYS"

Here is my sweatshirt I won in 1966

Darn good days!!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

Dear listeners:

My name is Terry Southard and I had the distinct honor of working alongside Rich for over a year at WRNJ, primarily reporting the news during the 7am - 10am slots on Saturdays, as well as my other weekly reporting assignments. In addition, Rich made it a point to include me in his program for the day. But this isn't about me. It's about Rich.

Although I am not at liberty to speak on the specific details, I can assure all of you, that the decision to remove Rich came directly from ownership. He is not hiding anything, but is not at liberty to discuss specifics.

I can speak for him when I say that he greatly appreciates everyone who is voicing their support in him not being on the air and by the many wonderful comments that have been posted either on this forum or on other social media outlets.

If you truly want to voice your displeasure in his not being on the air, I URGE you to write, call or stop into the station. I also agree in letting local businesses know, as well as local officials.

I don't, however, advocate boycotting local businesses. It is not their doing and all of them are trying to make a living like everyone else. Unless they are engaging in unscrupulous business practices, I urge you to keep supporting local. But, as I mentioned, let them know about Rich.

I also should mention that Rich is an immense talent, who puts HOURS into his preparation for just his weekend programming. From choosing songs to lining up interviews, choosing cultural tidbits that relate to the theme, he does it all. Most of all, he is a genuine guy off the air as well as on...extremely passionate about what he does and an extremely humble and great guy...one I can continue to call friend.

One quick personal note...thank you to Andy and the other listener who said kind words about me. It is greatly appreciated. The banter between Rich and I was the best part of my day and we clicked from day one.

Forgive my ramblings, but again, I want to encourage you to spread the word or let WRNJ know how much you do miss his program.

Thank you again for all of your wonderful words for Rich.

Sincerely,
Terry Southard

Terry Southard Terry Southard
Jul '13

Thank you for your post, Terry. I have been in contact with Rich as well and have done as you suggest....I really loved his show and also was one of his listeners who realized that he did not just show up to do his WRNJ show but spent hours in preparation to make it the best show each time he was on the air..

joyful joyful
Jul '13

@Terry

Thanks for the update.

It's WRNJ's loss.

I could see myself hanging out with Rich, I am sure he will have another job asap.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

I think readers need to look behind Norman Worth.

Ms Realistic Ms Realistic
Jul '13

@Terry "Although I am not at liberty to speak on the specific details, I can assure all of you, that the decision to remove Rich came directly from ownership. He is not hiding anything, but is not at liberty to discuss specifics."

If you can't talk about specifics or Rich cant come on here and tell people why he was removed then this tells me there is more to this story then ownership simply getting rid of him.

Andy wrote "who suddenly is out of the picture, as well." Terry why are you out of the picture? Didn't know you were gone from the radio station.

"If you can't talk about specifics or Rich cant come on here and tell people why he was removed then this tells me there is more to this story then ownership simply getting rid of him."

Perhaps he signed an agreement whereby his severance (or payment for whatever time is remaining on his contract) is tied to not saying anything negative publicly about management? Just a guess... but it's not an uncommon arrangement.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

@ianimal that could be true. The way I read it, seems like Terry knows. Rich must have told him. So if Terry knows then Rich is speaking about why he was removed. Thats just how I took what he wrote.

WRNJ severance pay? Yeah right!!! LMAO!!

The owners decided to let go of Rich. Well at least one owner did. Their loss. They have done it before with Doc South! Its all about the mighty buck!

Christine Christine
Jul '13

Could it be he was getting bad ratings?

Isn't radio based on ratings - ive filled out a couple radio survey books in the past. Maybe he wasn't pulling in enough listeners & the station decided to go in a different direction.

Christine, of course it's about the almighty buck. Anyone in business is making decisions based, ultimately, on the almighty buck.

You took your store out of Hackettstown because you could do better in another town, even though by having a business in H-town you were helping local people and being a part of Main Street. You did that, and you've said it on this forum, that it was a financial decision for you.

St. Mary's School had to make a difficult financial decision. It's what happens when you have a business. businesses make decisions based, in large part, on the financial implications for their business.

While I get that many on here like Rich Appel's show, and you're disappointed that it's cancelled, anyone in the broadcasting business will tell you that it's part of the game. Broadcasters rarely spend years and years in a single media outlet. How many times have radio stations fired an on air talent, only to bring them back years later?

Bottom line: if Rich Appel no longer fit the demographic or image that WRNJ wanted to appeal to, it's their right (and responsibility) to move in the direction that they think they want. Maybe the new direction will work.....maybe it won't.

Those of you who liked Rich Appel are free to protest and make your feelings known to the powers that be at WRNJ, but none of us know all of the reasons behind their decision. So those power that be are free to stand by their decision even in the face of complaints.

BTW: I too listened to WRNJ throughout the Sandy mess, and know that MANY of both the on-air talent and behind the scenes people were deeply involved in keeping our community informed. Rich was one of them, but not the only one.

lilac1 lilac1
Jul '13

Harry Chapin's take on the radio business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVh6aOwY08g

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

Lilac1 made the key point. I suspect that Appel was not bringing in the age group of listeners that would bring sponsors. I believe that the 18 to 35 group is the most desired audience - that's probably why Doc South was canceled and Rich Appel may have had the same short coming.

I would find it hard to believe that WRNJ would ever appeal to a 18-25 year old crowd, maybe a 25-35 year old. If that's the age group they're going for, they must be secure in thinking they won't lose the people that have listened to the local station for years. I guess it will be interesting to see where it goes. I used to listen to them many years ago when they had the computer guys and Dr Balter on Saturday mornings, I've probably aged myself there.

Bessie Bessie
Jul '13

I think the people who consistently listen to WRNJ are not in that demographic and in this day and age they will never grab a younger audience. Just my opinion.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

I've been teaching classes at Warren County Community College the past four years with most of the students being in the 19-21 age range. One of their ongoing assignments is to keep a media log, a semester-long record of what they see, hear, and read in "the mass media." We hold open forums on what they are into each week.

When I bring WRNJ into the class discussion, to teach about the role of local radio, they are, like, huh? What's that? Not just about WRNJ, but radio in general. With all their new stuff, they are living in a totally different world than us over-60 folks.

Dave Kelber has been great, in being a guest speaker at classes when he's had time to join us. His many years of teaching experience make him a great classroom presence and the students have enjoyed his visits and found them informative. But even Dave, live and in-person, had very little impact on their daily media consumption preferences.

Good luck, WRNJ, in making them your target audience.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

You are so Right Andy
This I phone zombie generation will never know the great radio personalities that informed our lives growing up.

Ed Baer, Dean Anthony, Jack Spector, Dan Daniel, Gary Stevens, Frankie Crocker, Murray the K, Joe O'Brien, Harry Harrison, Herb Oscar Anderson, Dan Ingram, Scott Muni, Bruce Morrow, Ron Lundy, Charlie Greer, & Chuck Leonard to name a few.

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

Dear Andy- (The Walrus)-

I hope WRNJ does not get mad at you for voicing your opinions here- your a good local voice to hear through the year on their airwaves- lets hope your opinions dont put you in the dog house with them, as we can all expect their management is reading this thread daily.

However, I do totally disagree- they are not at all trying to connect to the 19-25 demographic, there is totally nothing they are doing that says they are.

And, why would they want to cater to that age group? Generally, they are either in college and broke, or out of college and jobless- and have very little disposable income.

Where WRNJ is stumbling is with their real target audience, 25-55 year olds. Rich Appel would have been a perfect way for them to get some more of that audience in, and his perfect spot would have been in the morning drive time.

He is up beat, interesting and makes me want to tune in. Dave- the pro that he is- I tune into, but just because I want the local news and weather/traffic.

Much for the same reason I dont date 25 year olds, is the same reason maybe they should think of a shakeup of the morning program (the answer to both- I dont relate to either of them anymore-)

Something a little more geared to a slightly comtemporary audience, not the Bingo hall would inspire me a bit more!

Another thing I noticed Dave doing this AM (perhaps in reaction to all this talk about how Rich prepares for his show and gives alot of info), he is now talking about the songs after he plays them, where they were on the Billboard chart, etc. I find it to be a bit of a perfunctory reading of facts, with no inspiration or any other song or group info beyond those facts- like anything read off a web site, the deliver is well, dull.

Doc South and Rich both have their sides of the story- I have spoken to Doc South about his side. And Rich has his. Doesnt matter, WRNJ is a private employer and has the right to hire or fire anyone- due to whatever reasons exist behind their doors.

And, lastly, lets give whomever they hire a chance. Rich Appel once was the "new" guy- maybe whomever they hire will have the inspiration and creativity to make their program listenable.

WRNJ can use a general shakeup- but I still think at the end of the day, they will be very similiar to what they are now, but just with a shuffling of the deck chairs.

Jul '13

Very well written, Rhyme Animal.

Lady Jayne Lady Jayne
Jul '13

AGREE RA...but this listener is gone!

Christine Christine
Jul '13

I've noticed Dave doing those informational and historical bits regarding the songs he plays, too. I was a co-worker of Dave's over 35 years ago at Hunterdon Central. He's a good man.

I've been critical of Bud Selig, too, but I still watch baseball. I would hope the powers that be at WRNJ can accept my honest outpouring of feelings the same way.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

What I really like to do is sing the praises of our young people who are true scholar athletes and they do community service, too. We've always had news, weather, and sports. Sports has always been a big part of community life.

I like to praise that which is praiseworthy and Rich was as praiseworthy a DJ as there ever has been ... I'll miss his show.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

+1 Realist

can't stand hypocrit
Jul '13

WRNJ is one of the last old fashion radio stations left standing. The struggles they must go through to survive considering the competition of subscriber base/commercial free stations like Siri, Pandora, etc dumbfounds me. But they fight to survive! They are business just trying to survive in a bad economic situation amongst a highly competitive market. I am sure it pained them to shut down Rich and I am sure their reasons were a good one. No business trying to stay afloat would ever get rid of an employee who was bringing in the bread and butter. All of you are coming up with absurd conclusions without any true understanding why WRNJ made this decision. Norman Worth is one of the greatest men I have ever met. My daughter decided to host a fundraiser carwash at Mcdonalds a few weeks ago to raise money for a local family who tragically lost their 14 year old son. This boy was also very good friends with my daughter. I contacted WRNJ the day before the carwash and asked if they could advertise the carwash for these kids. Without hesitation or any questions they for free advertised this carwash. They do so much for our community it isn't even funny. Obvious IMO! the ones here complaining have never been a business owner and do not understand the complexities of today's economic crisis in which us small business owners have to face to stay afloat. You should all be ashamed of yourselves. IMO! Remember there are always three sides to a story. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Until you hear all sides of the story you have no right to bash, petition, boycott, etc. I as a business owner completely understand the pains of having to change my business model constantly in order to stay afloat in this highly competitive market. I am a huge fan of WRNJ and will not boycott them due to a business decision they made that is none of my business. I will continue to listen to them knowing how much they have and continue to do for our community.
Christine I am boycotting your store due to your nasty comments regarding the youth of our society here on HL. I'm sorry but seriously I have had enough of reading your reckless rants especially your attacks on the youth of our community. Also I'm boycotting your store for moving it out of Hackettstown and bringing it to Washington. Why did you move your store to Washington? Was it for good business purposes and you found it to be more lucrative? If so good for as a business owner you have to do what will bring you the most profits to your business. Just as I am sure WRNJ is doing by their decision to take Rich off the air. Why they took him off the air is none of my business as why you moved your store to Washington is none of my business. Perhaps we should start a thread to boycott/bash your store since you decided to move it to another community! What disgusts me most Christine is the Hackettstown Community raised several dollars years ago to help support your family due to a crisis yet you turn around and move your store to another town. Hypocrite! Christine when you hire or fire an employee does anyone question your motives? What as a business owner would you say? Touche!!!!!!! On a note and not trying to be mean Christine I greatly suggest you start focusing more time on your failing business, trying to provide for your family(healthcare to begin with instead of going to the clinic for free health care as you posted u do on another thread and stop depending on this community and society to support your family while you bash all of us on HL!), stop judging kidsbusinesses/families in our community who you don't even know and less time here on Hackettstown Life bashing others. People that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Out of respect for my kids and as a business owner I will not say anymore nor stoop to your level!(even though there is so much I want and could say regarding you). Remember the very people you bash daily here on this forum are the very ones that stepped up to plate to help your family through a crisis a few years ago.

Realist Realist
Jul '13

Mr Negative,

You listed some incredible radio jocks there! I'll chime in and add the amazing Bill Brown from WCBS-FM 101.1. He actually lived locally in Hopatcong and sadly passed away in 2011.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Brown_(radio_personality)

Andy thanks for the Harry Chapin link. Harry was the man!

Actually I think I'm one of those rare demographic busters. I'm in my late 30's but actually prefer listening to all the wonderful music that is OLDER than I am. I'm plugged in with Sirius Satellite radio 50's on 5 and 60's on 6 channels with the "CUZ" on Wednesdays. Used to enjoy Terry "Motor Mouth" Young on the 60's channel till, like Appel, he was suddenly gone and nobody knew anything.

Sadly I never knew about Rich Appel when he was on WRNJ. Sadly that is my loss, I would have absolutely loved to hear those weekend shows of his. Especially after seeing that awesome Youtube sound check of his (Thanks again Andy for that link!). He appeared to put so much preparation into those weekend shows!

Realist, really well said.
I've been watching this thread for fun (and I really don't have a dog in the fight) - but Christine's hypocrisy is incredibly aggravating. She really has some nerve.

Very rude.

theHHSinformant theHHSinformant
Jul '13

AMEN @ REALIST
As a business owner I can relate to your post 100%.
Excellent Analysis!

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

Realist: Amen.

organic organic
Jul '13

WOW Realist tell us what you really think! I stand by my posts! I have the right to an opinion just as you! DEAL with it!

I still will not listen to WRNJ on Saturday mornings as I always have! The show is now boring and that is my right.

BTW I in no way attacked anyone personally as you have! So that says something about you.

You can boycott my store as you wish. People like you I do not need.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

I have been reading, and participating once in awhile, but I am so turned off by some on these blogs who feel the need to attack and belittle others for voicing their opinion. It is everyone's right to an opinion and the word "bullying" comes to mind when you don't agree with said opinion.

justwondering justwondering
Jul '13

I will still be tuning in to WRNJ for local news etc, but agree that this may turn out to be a shot in the foot for them.

Andy, I just viewed the Digital Media Archive clip you posted. If that gets in the right hands, I don't think Rich will be unemployed long. He has talent ! I hope someone will post here when he gets hired and let us know the station numbers.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Jul '13

Since I was in high school in 1968, when it was on the charts, the only radio station where I've heard this beautiful instrumental was on one of Rich's countdowns on WRNJ. Enjoy, classical pop at its best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFsdDcgwdQ

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

Here is some music/sports trivia ... the New England Patriots logo is known as the
Flying Elvis.

http://www.dinesh.com/history_of_logos/nfl_logos/new_england_patriots_logo_-_design_and_history.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

If Rich was doing his Saturday show today, I might have gotten on during the 9 a.m. hour and talked about what was going on in sports on July 27, 1974.

The Mets had the best E.R.A. in the NL East, they had three starters with double-digit wins that year (Seaver, Matlack, Koosman) and they won 15 games by shutout. They finished fifth, 20 games below .500 as manager Yogi Berra probably wanted to grab a bat on several occasions and step up to the plate himself to drive in some runs.

The Yankees were last in the A.L. East, but they went on a 19-6 spree in August and got into the race, finishing with 89 wins, in second behind Baltimore. Lou Piniella and Elliott Maddox batted over .300 and Bobby Murcer drove in 88 runs for manager Bill Virdon.

After three straight last place finishes, the Phillies were baseball's most improved team as Mike Schmidt rose from obscurity and led the NL in homers. They were close to first place all summer, chanting "Yes, We Can," before finishing in third, eight games behind Pittsburgh.

George Foreman was the heavyweight boxing champion, training for his upcoming title fight against two-time champion Muhammad Ali in Zaire, Africa.

Rich would ask, OK, hot shot, who won the British Open in 1974? I'd reply Gary Player ... then Rich would give me the ring, ring with his bell and go on to play a summertime commercial from 74 and whatever was the number one song that day.

I missed that today. Don't expect any comments from the WRNJ folks. I'm working a seasonal temp job at an insurance office this summer. I need the $. They had me sign an agreement that I would not say anything about the place on social media. I'm sure lots of people are signing such agreements these days. It is the way of the working world today. The First Amendment does not apply to salaried employees, and I don't have a problem with that.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

Andy you and Rich always connected on the show.

A customer came in today and asked what happened to Rich on the radio. I tuned him into the show. It was sad explaining it to him. BUT as someone posted on HL life goes on..............

Christine Christine
Jul '13

Yes, it does, but I'll certainly keep in touch with Rich. Despite what happened, he has a great future.

WRNJ hates sports, plain and simple, so I don't have any future there. I hope the times Rich gave me a forum for sports didn't end up costing him his job.

It's a fact that WRNJ does a real minimal amount of sports coverage ... and young people are involved in local sports. If they want younger listeners, how can they ignore local sports the way they do? I just don't get it.

I remember in 2011 when Hackettstown won 15 straight baseball games. Their scores, in those one-minute 'let's get this sports stuff out of the way' reports of theirs made no mention that the Tigers were on a historic win streak, even after I called a person who shall remain nameless, letting him know that Hackettstown was 15-0. Totally unbelievable.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

I never listen to WRNJ cause have no clue what kind of station they are...are they a talk station or music station & what kind of music do they play? They seem to be all over the place.

They don't advertise anywhere that i can see - they need a better marketing department and probably better off simulcasting national shows with local news updates.

There are local resources around - that dude John C is hooked into TAPS - give him a show and let him talk about ghosts for a few hours.

Let Andy talk local sports for a few hours. There are local bands all over the place -play their music!

It's not rocket science but unless you listen to the station you wouldn't know it exist's unless you drive down 46 mountain or stumble across it on the dial.
lol

Andy- I agree with you to a point- regarding WRNJ's lack of sports coverage, or at least local sports coverage-

While I think broadcasting the Hackettstown Tigers football games is a great idea- and I am sure sells advertisers- broadcasting other local sports, probably is not going to draw many listeners.

I know they broadcast some Centenary College basketball games- I cant imagine that they draw many listeners to that.

I remember when that semi pro basketball team came to play at Centenary as their home court, they had some reps on from the team, and gave away some free tix- so they tried there.

I do not think they give local sports enough of a forum- they might be well off to do a radio show with a local sports angle, similiar to the one that you and that other host used to do over at WNTI at night time- a mix of local and regional sports, I bet that would actually get listeners.

Listening to the couple of minutes they give to "sports" in the AM drive time is pretty lame- most of the stories are read copy, with plenty of mispronounced names and it sounds a bit sloppy- certainly not where I would turn to for any info- I would question if even the scores are being read correctly!

I do not think at all your participation with Rich's show had much to do with their decision to let him go.

Andy, I am hopeful they keep you on doing the Tigers football games, and even your occasional calls into the station on all things sports. You might even be able to teach them a thing or two!

Jul '13

Thanks for the kind words. Some game broadcasts that would draw listeners would be Warren Hills field hockey state tournament games on Saturdays ... especially the state finals .... where they go practically every year. Hackettstown soccer is very strong, boys and girls ... selected big games (they play some night games at Morrison Stadium) would draw more listeners than the same old automated music. Hackettstown boys basketball has been winning and would be great to broadcast on Friday nights. Pope John has had potential NBA talent on the court the last few years. Blair has produced NBA stars and is one of the nation's top prep programs in both basketball and wrestling. They dominate wrestling, nationally.

District and regional wrestling are HUGE ... draw packed houses, the devotion to wrestling is fanatical around here. Centenary wrestling ... nationally ranked!

West Morris is a perennial sectional champion in football, so is Lenape Valley ... their playoff games are worth broadcasting (although West Morris has the world's most unsafe press box in my opinion. Bad press box or not, they go to Rutgers or the Meadowlands just about every year).

That Sports Buzz show on WNTI ran because they had a student who wanted to do sports. Know who would be a great co-host, if WRNJ wanted to do that kind of a show late in the evening? Cole Kimball. One night when the student host was in New Orleans, I asked Cole to spend a half hour on the show as a special guest. He ended up staying the entire two hours and it was a great show. He plans to finish his criminal justice studies at Centenary when his baseball career ends, but he'd make a great baseball commentator on radio. He's pitched in the big leagues, for goodness sake.

They need some interviews with our local shining lights, like three-sport star Jessie Sharr (has a nice ring to it) and some on-the-scene reports I could call in with a cell phone, if they don't want to do too many play-by-play remotes. There is so much they could be doing.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '13

Lets no forget how much we depended upon WRNJ's DJ's to keep us informed through the horror of hurricane Sandy. I was very grateful to have their voices and the voices of everyone who called in to give updates. I wish Rich was still on the air. I really did enjoy his show. One less good DJ at WRNJ is a terrible thing.

Momma J Momma J
Jul '13

I just found Rich Appel's take on Anthony Weiner.

https://soundcloud.com/rich-appel/congressman-wienershnitzel

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Jul '13

Who needs Leno or Letterman when we have Rich Appel?

Radio en-RICH-ment. Rich is one rockin dude.

I have one problem with political jokes. We keep electing them. LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

Andy- I heard you call into the morning show this AM- for the trivia challenge segment that Dave Kelber does.

I sensed that Dave gave you the big brush off once he realized it was you and rushed you off the air.

You have many more long term ties to this area than Dave-

I hope this isn't the stations position on anyone that shows some dissenting viewpoints- to get them off the air- it was more than a little obvious to me what was going on.

Aug '13

Well, Dave has a very busy morning show, moves from one feature to the next and has to stick to a by-the-minute schedule. Very similar to the morning show Russ had for so many years. Sometimes he falls behind schedule after the traffic guy does his comedy routines.

I didn't take any offense. I simply add my "jewel" to the trivia king crown and go on with my life. Thanks for the kind words, anyway.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

Well, since I've been deemed a heretic, might as well tell a story from a few years back when somebody who listened to the HHS football broadcasts, the WNTI Sports Buzz and read the Warren Reporter stories, recognized me as we were leaving a basketball game (thanks to my mug shot). He actually waited for me to finish an interview to say hello to me, which was nice of him.

He said I'd never make it in big time radio, because I'm "too sensible." I'll always remember him saying, "to make it in big city radio you have to be a jerk."

I just said, well, enjoyed chatting with you, Elvis has left the building.

I liked Rich Appel's closing line, the best thing you can do is be yourself.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

Being yourself Andy, totally works. That and your years of credibility covering and writing about local events has earned you that prestige.

Dave K. has been unusually cranky towards this forum lately, his on the air comments have often veiled references to things that he doesnt like that he reads here.

He doesnt have the cache of local knowledge that you have- and perhaps he feels a bit challenged that people are supporting other talent- former and current on the station.

I know your trying to be gracious and offer Dave some slack- but I am not buying it, he is responding in a classic passive agressive way- to protect his turf-

Bring back Russ Long to the AM Drive time!! (or a new face!)

Aug '13

Perhaps Dave feels that Andy was disloyal to the radio station by making disparaging comments in a public forum.

GenXX GenXX
Aug '13

I heard this AM when Dave K said on his show..sarcastically to his listener while laughing, "Oh boy..just read what people say about Rich on Facebook & the forum". I just wish a person would call in during his trivia to ask point blank what happened cause Mr Worth never cared to respond to my email. Yes..I agree Russ should be AM then Chuck & Rich for 3-7 PM!!!

Lauren Lauren
Aug '13

Reading over everything that's been written in this forum, a lot of NICE things have been written about WRNJ on these posts, too. People will not forget about the service they provided when we all went without power in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

A guy I need to give thanks to, who hasn't been around WRNJ for a few years is Harlin Jeffries, who mentored me a lot about broadcasting when we did Hackettstown football together for eight seasons and also teamed up on Hackettstown adult softball games in the summers of 03 and 04, Centenary basketball and we did sports talk shows off and on at WRNJ and WNTI. Harlin, Rich, and Terry all have moved on now and I feel a terrible loss. If it hadn't been for learning from Harlin, I never would have felt confident enough to take the play by play football role when it became available

Hey, everybody gets criticism at times. I got some thrown at me in this thread, but I didn't go belly aching about it. Constructive criticism can be a great teacher. When I feel there has been an injustice somewhere, I speak up. It's the newspaper columnist in me.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

Well said Andy, you have the right to speak up and say how you feel. Who knows what happened behind the scenes and WRNJ as a private company had the right to make changes they deem necessary. I remember when John Gambling was let go at WOR in NY many many years ago. There was an uproar from their long time listeners who wound up boycotting the show which hurt them in the ratings. He was hired back years later and their ratings quickly improved. I do not know why they let him go in the first place but they evidently thought they needed to go in a different direction which at the end of the day was the wrong move. The typical WOR audience was an older one and I do not recall who took over his slot but it did not work. I think it is critical to know who your audience is and maybe WRNJ will figure that out.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '13

Doc South certainly was part of what made WRNJ special. He never made a lot of money in corporate radio, but it was a labor of love for him and it showed.

I should thank Doc here, for a comment he made on his Front Porch show while promoting the next Tigers football game, when Harlin and I were doing them.

"Those guys are good," Doc said without reading from any script. "They could do the Super Bowl." Thanks, Doc.

Now I just get to say hello to Doc at Memorial Motor Madness every year. Happy to see he still gets to do what he has a passion for doing, playing the best (not necessarily the most popular, but the best) songs from an era that lives on in our hearts, and telling stories the way only Doc South can tell them.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

so....whatever happened to Rich? Does anyone really know? I would call Rich from time to time on a saturday morning just to say hello and welcome to Hackettstown for the weekend. I enjoyed him so much when it was just music and "him".THAT was what i had tuned in for. The music from my past that I could wake up to and just sob because it was such a blast from my past.Some songs I actually hadnt heard in 40 YEARS! Or else music that I had never heard before by an artist from my past. Terry and Rich would get a bit chatty and at times "off color" and I would wait around saying to myself "okaaaaaaaay Rich...another tune". The songs, I thought got fewer and fewer with different people calling in. It wasreal disappointing after awhile as it was not the same show that i had loved. And then all of the sports talk and waiting around for the "next tune". I just tuned out eventually and would turn on every now and then. The whole essence of the show was gone for me when he was sidetracked. I miss Rich. The weekend will not be the same as the new music does not do it for me. WRNJ needs someone else like Rich for the weekends. This new guy seems like a good guy, but there will NEVER be another Doc South or a Rich Appel. "Rich Rich Rich Rich Riiiiiiiiiiiiiich". I will forever miss you.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Aug '13

Got an email from Rich this week. He isn't letting the grass grow under his feet.

While it is so hard to please everybody, no matter what you do, I can say Rich kept the people who called in to a time limit and each caller served a clearly defined purpose.

In the case of my sports related calls, Rich always let me know an hour ahead of time, when to call, and I'd fill him in on what I planned to cover. I knew I'd only get a couple of minutes so I had to be well prepared and on point, because he would not allow me to "just ramble." It's the same deal when Dave and Russ have guests on their "local live" segments. If it's a topic that is not of interest to a particular listener, it may sound like endless rambling, but I assure you, it is not. I teach speech classes at WCCC and I make the students stay on point and not ramble. Lots of "chatter" may sound conversational, but it has a purpose and a plan.

To survive, WRNJ has to be a forum for interesting local people, and be a station people turn to for local information. Music has its place, too, but you can get just about any song you want on the internet (including those golden oldies) and from various other sources these days, and that's what the young people are doing.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

Dear Sir: I am writing to express my outrage at the recent dismissal of Richard Appel from his position as an on-air personality by the administrators of radio station WRNJ with studios in Hackettstown. Rich's program was aired on Saturday and Sunday and included material which one would expect of a DJ on a major market radio station rather than a small regional one like WRNJ. Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that the station owners were too parochial in their outlook to recognize what a gem they had in Rich and what an asset he was not only to the station but to the community it serves. Having once worked as an on-air DJ at two local stations years ago, I am in a position to recognize the tremendous amount of research Rich would have had to do during the week in order to make his weekend program run so seamlessly. Among other activities, Rich would take the current date, apply it to an earlier year and then play the Top 20 songs of that date, thus allowing his listeners the opportunity to hear hits that had not been heard on any radio station since. In between, he would intersperse interesting facts about the personalities and news reports of that era as well as invite listeners to call in and discuss top films, television and sporting events. He varied his program by including segments on the Beatles, country and western songs and top five hits in the UK, among many other features. Rich was invariably a gentleman in his dealings with calls from listeners and had the sparkling personality that I, personally, found to be a breath of fresh air, given the sad quality of the many radio personalities these days. As a (formerly) regular listener to the station, I am aware that Richard could be found covering for his colleagues when they were on vacation or otherwise filling in faithfully despite the rigors of doing his own program. He gave his listeners the sense that he truly enjoyed his job and appeared to be very loyal to his bosses. Unfortunately, they appear not to have returned the favor. I know I am speaking for my many friends around the country (who listened to him regularly over the Internet) when I say that the managers of WRNJ have committed a real faux pas in letting Rich go. Perhaps they will recognize their error and bring Rich - and many listeners - back before some station in a major market scoops him up.
Sincerely, Nicholas J. Andrian

Nick Andrian Nick Andrian
Aug '13

Great summary of what Rich did at WRNJ.

Well, the Red Sox got rid of Babe Ruth once.

Cincinnati traded Frank Robinson, saying he was "an old 30."

The Mets traded Nolan Ryan.

WRNJ is in that conversation now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

If it was simply a case of Rich moving on to a bigger market, I would not be mad.

Nobody would expect WRNJ to get into financial bidding wars.

That does not appear to be what happened here.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Aug '13

How come we have not heard from management at WRNJ?? They are not answering emails or commenting on the remarks on this forum. I suspect it is because they know they were wrong and now they are hiding with their tails between their legs!

Lizzie Lizzie
Aug '13

Hey, Rich ... someone took a photo of me with Harry Kalas at the Phillies game.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewFoundPhoto.asp?userid=philliesfanphotos&group_id=&stype=3&sword=3X8G&tcount=102&scount=42

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Will Miss You Rich!

Rich was always interesting, truly a real asset to WRNJ. One can always speculate about what happened, but one fact remains clear about radio broadcasting in the USA: It is in the state of constant change:

1. You cannot expect anything to remain the same. PD's will always experiment with format changes and personalities, either because they want to or have to (from management)--or both!

2. Clustering of radio stations in markets under on the big operating companies is increasing, reducing the choices available to the listener. WRNJ has been a rare exception. Lets try to keep it that way. I would go with Norm running it over Cumulus / Clearchannel/ Greater Media anyday. Let's keep it independent.

3. With regards to Hurricane Sandy and item#2---do you think we would have had that much community support if WRNJ was network run? And that's we get back to Rich, Terry and others (Dave,Joyce and Russ, too), who stayed on the air during a difficult time.

Mradio Mradio
Sep '13

I'll remember Rich as the last DJ that I ever listened to for music. He was the "history channel of radio" and his documentaries of music and pop culture made me want to listen. People don't listen to the radio for music anymore. I can hear any song I want at anytime on You Tube. A select few music fanatics and me share favorites by posting them on HL. Handheld iPods have been siphoning young people away from radio for years.

I still listen to WRNJ, but for local information, not music. AM stations that are surviving all the changes, have done so by converting to non-music formats. Tottering precariously into the future, radio stations (lulled by decades of success with old business models) have little margin for error and need to adapt.

As Lew White used to say, you can't be too local.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

I've also noticed more FM stations going to sports formats in recent years.

WPST out of Princeton (97.5) was a prime new-music station for many years through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Now it is The Fanatic, affiliated with ESPN but offering many local shows targeted at fans of the Philadelphia teams.

And, WIP is competing with them, for the sports audience, on both AM and FM ... on AM with national CBS shows and on FM with more local shows. I grew up with WIP as that nice mainstream easy-listening music station with the pleasant good-humored morning DJ etc. On the FM they went to rock music ... now it is all sports.

In New York, WFAN and the ESPN affiliate also are heard on FM now.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

I listen to and have been for a long time to WDVR FM out of Sergentsville, NJ The Great Little Station in the Nation! 89.7 FM - (Hey Rich, there you go)

Spring
Sep '13

Andy,

You mentioned "...the last dj..." three posts back and I immediately thought of this Tom Petty song..

http://youtu.be/00sy6_jv7Lc

Good song. Thanks for posting it. Not surprised that I'd never heard it on the radio before ... well, radio isn't the only place that makes people tow the corporate line.

Internet radio is the future ... our only hope for real freedom of choice.

Power to the people. Radio used to play all those anti-Vietnam War songs, even though people like LBJ and Nixon could not have been happy about it.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

One point I do want to make in the wake of all this: good people do lose their jobs sometimes.

Many people (especially those with titles like human resources director) put a stigma on people who have lost a job for whatever reason, and it makes getting back into the mainstream working world very difficult for a lot of folks who simply were unlucky.

Here is a real life example of someone who worked hard, above and beyond the "minimum daily requirement" and lots of people liked what he did ... and still got let go.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Did I just hear Dave Kelber say BASKETBALL Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt is celebrating a birthday today?

Sometimes that station's lack of attention to sports makes me cringe.

Yes, Mike is celebrating a birthday. He hit over 500 home runs, in BASEBALL.

Still love the show, but that place needs a sports guy.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Yup I heard it too Andy....I spit my coffe out and almost drove off the road !

Did I just hear Dave Kelber say BASKETBALL Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt is celebrating a birthday today?

Sometimes that station's lack of attention to sports makes me cringe.

Yes, Mike is celebrating a birthday. He hit over 500 home runs, in BASEBALL.

Still love the show, but that place needs a sports guy.
Andy Loigu Andy Loigu Message Andy Loigu

Andy, you and I have talked about that before. WRNJ has to realize that sports is a BIG part of today's society. BTW, you didn't know Schmidt was the Power Forward for the Dr. J 76'ers

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '13

It's funny ... I first met Dave before most of the folks who post here were probably born. Dave was a teacher at Hunterdon Central and was in charge of a very good school radio station ... WCVH. They did a quality 5 p.m. newscast on weekdays, but one day in May of 1978, I heard a young girl read "Pete ROSS of Cincinnati reached the milestone of 3,000 hits ..." I told Dave you can't have someone reading sports on the air who would say Pete Ross.

They let me read the sports on Friday evenings the rest of the spring ... I didn't care that I didn't get paid ... I was there as a PR intern finishing a master's program anyway. I got into reading the AP wire, selecting what was of interest that I could read in the time allowed and PREPARING MYSELF before going on the air.

Poor Dave has so many things to handle on that morning show ...

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Dave's readings of line copy of "sports" are things of beauty!

They do make me tune in- "how much will he bungle the names or specifics of any sports related issue" on any particular day.

He is certainly a "nice" person- no question- but the continued misprounication of town names, people names and an overall scattershot delivery in areas even non sports related tell me that he might be a bit tired- it is very noticable to me, a long time listener of the station.

WRNJ needs a major morning show overhaul- the bits are stale, the pace is plodding and the personalities, to state it plainly- have become dull.

One would ask- why would I listen to a show that I just gave a pretty low rating?

I like the local angles- the local news stories- traffic and weather local reports. The other 45 minutes they have to fill after those things every hour have me more increasingly spinning to other spots on the dial - something I didn't used to do a few years ago, but do so with more frequency now.

Sep '13

Hi Clyde, you mean it WASN'T Darryl Dawkins? LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

You always post very good, thoughtful comments, Rhyme Animal. We do appreciate that we have a locally oriented radio station ... the Jersey Shore has one, too. I've heard Frank Lombardo do the weather for them, too. Very few truly local opportunities in media for journalists, anymore, something I advise my WCCC students about ... the realities of the world.

However, now that Rich isn't on, I have re-discovered what a good "voice of reason" for the sports world Richard Neer is on WFAN ... used to listen to him before Rich came to WRNJ and I've gone back to him now. He's an old WNEW dj who got the boot but went to a different direction and kept his career going.

In an off-air conversation with my old WNTI co-host, he said Richard Neer and Ed Randall "are boring." Too sensible, I suppose. Different generation. He worships the ground Craig Carton walks on.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

These guys fire vitriol at their co-workers and station publicly and still keep their jobs. Know what? It makes for interesting radio, that's for sure. They're like the Billy, George, and Reggie "Bronx Zoo" Yankees.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/11/francesa-fires-back-at-fellow-wfan-host-carton/

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Does WRNJ still do HHS football games? If so, my guess is that Andy, you are not in the booth anymore lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '13

Nope, I'm not, not complaining ... have a part-time job in PA and I can't make it to Htown's Friday night road games (in far off places) in time to do pre-game preparation and broadcasts. Saw West Morris win tonight, great ground game and play-action passing from the Wing-T, gave Roxbury its first loss, 21-10.

West Morris home games start at 7:30. They give the commuters coming from distant places a little more time to get there for kickoff.

Something for them to howl about in Long Valley tonight.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

They do the games. Marty Yudichak (a former HHS player and North Warren coach) is in the booth. He's done radio before, I'm sure he'll do very well.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Without Rich Appel on the radio ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy3kJt_tQrY

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Thank you Andy, couldn't have said it better!

MR. 4paws

4paws 4paws
Sep '13

WRNJ gave the question to JS

m-kitty
Oct '13

Rich is alive and well as a writer. Anybody interested in the future of radio should read this.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/backbeat/5740648/backbeat-radios-best-discuss-the-mediums-present-and-future-state-at

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

My two cents ... radio needs to convince the 25-under population that it is a reliable source of information, that checks facts and cares about accuracy.

As I tell my WCCC students, you can't be sure about everything you see on the internet, many who put information on the web are biased in one way or another, or simply are scheisters with a profit-making angle.

When we assure people that radio is reliable and factual, and live up to it, radio will remain the immediate "now" information source of choice.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Oct '13

Saw this quote from a politician in the paper upon winning an election ... "I've always said that if you're doing your job and you care about what you're doing, you don't have to worry about losing your job."

Well, didn't Rich Appel do his job, care about what he was doing?

One of my pet peeves is when people display the attitude that those who are unemployed or underemployed or working for minimum wage ... deserve to be ... due to laziness or stupidity or whatever.

Sometimes employers make bad decisions (they're human) sometimes they make decisions based on politics rather than reason ... sometimes cuts are made because there just isn't any money, bad economy. From 1995 to 97, I was the Athletic Director at WCCC ... now as time has passed, people don't even know they ever had sports ... I worked at it, I cared about it, really wanted to make it something special, but the funding got cut. A lot of people in this county don't think sports are important; that's something beyond my control.

A lot of people, in many ways, are victimized by things beyond their control ... all we can do is try to pick up the pieces and go on with our lives. And donate to food drives and do whatever acts of kindness we can, so we can be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

Whatever happened to people saying, "there but for the Grace of God, go I" ???

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '13

Andy, Interesting that you bring up “By the Grace of God.”
In my view of life, I was place in the easiest place on earth to survive in this world by “His Grace.” I was placed here to believe in God through his son Jesus to spread the word of his love. This life is the most difficult time to get through. Jesus said give unto Caesars the things that are Caesars and unto God the things that are of God.
I take part in the worldly goings on, as that is my duty but fall far short of my duty to Him and the world. I have worked hard to not be a burden on my fellow man. The only hope I have is, I can be forgiven for the asking through Jesus.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '13

Well said Andy....I completely agree.

positive positive
Nov '13

Spot on Andy, you can also add ' if I don't have it, no one else should.'

vous
Nov '13

Nice sentiments, all.

I'm not on any crusade against WRNJ, just that attitude that people who are struggling deserve their lot in life. That attitude, and I see it everywhere, just isn't Christian.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '13

I have been hurt by some employers also but my attitude is they will have to answer for their deeds such as I will for mine. I just moved on. The Lord said vengeance is mine.

Old Gent Old Gent
Nov '13

Yep, we're a lot happier if we can give things to the Lord and then let them go.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '13

Hang in there Andy, believe me 90% of the people are good..a lot great actually.it's the 10% that grind ya down.

vous
Nov '13

Old Gent and Andy- This is the first time I've ever seen God mentioned on this forum and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised and inspirited knowing that you guys are not reluctant to proclaim your faith and Christian values. :)

positive positive
Nov '13

Praise the Lord and Amen. God loves Republicans, Democrats, and Independents all the same.... wants us all to learn to help each other.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '13

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone who posted here.

The best show on radio for me right now is the Rev. Frank Fowler's "Lets Talk About It" on WRNJ Monday mornings at 10... whether or not you consider yourself religious, it deals seriously with topics that matter in today's world ...I don't always get to listen to it as I go back and forth trying to cobble together some sort of a living.

Anyway, can we access re-broadcasts of it, "on demand?"

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '13

Come join me at my new radio address...RewoundRadio.com...for "That Thing with Rich Appel," Sundays 6-9pm Eastern. It's everything you remember and more. And if you're on Facebook, join our group ( https://www.facebook.com/ThatThingRichAppel) where all the action takes place during the show.

Happy holidays.

- Rich

Rich Appel Rich Appel
Dec '14

Rebound radio link

http://www.streamlicensing.com/stations/rewound/instanton.html

Mr Negative Mr Negative
Dec '14

Cool.

Best of luck, Rich.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '14

Andy,

Here is a link to audio archives of Frank's previous programs - it looks like they keep about a month of previous broadcasts.

http://wrnjradio.bandcamp.com/album/lets-talk-about-it

Here is a link to a page containing all the audio program archives for WRNJ.

http://wrnjradio.bandcamp.com/

Thanks!!

Any help I get with techie things is greatly appreciated.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Dec '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.