Quaker Steak and Lube

Great burgers, great wings... coming soon to Pohatcong. Can't wait...

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf/2013/07/quaker_steak_lube_franchise_ge.html#incart_river_default

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

Funny you mentioned this. This past Saturday i went up to Scranton to see the new AAA Yankees stadium and we went to this place before the game. It was really good. Very cool looking place with great wings and burgers like you said. Everyone seemed very friendly. And of course they have a good bar too. That's great that one is coming to Jersey.

Bryan Bryan
Jul '13

This is AWESOME!!!! Now why can't we get this instead of a lousy CVS??????

Darrin Darrin
Jul '13

Gross.....LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

The name alone turns me off.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

The original restaurant was/is located in an old service station. All the restaurants have a service station/auto racing motif. That's where the "lube" reference comes from, lol.

http://www.thelube.com/Sharon_PA/

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

It seems like such a cool atmosphere....women would never understand!

Darrin Darrin
Jul '13

I understand it completely.....it's men wanting to clog their arteries to the max with nasty greasy fast food.

I wonder if there are enough of those kind of men in that area though. Remember that the Sonic didn't last very long near the P'burg Mall after everybody raving about it being built.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

Re: Quaker Steak and Lube

"I understand it completely.....it's men wanting to clog their arteries to the max with nasty greasy fast food.

I wonder if there are enough of those kind of men in that area though"

It's great isn't it!!!! I live like 45 minutes from there and I will be sure to make the trip multiple times, wish one was close though.

Can't be any worst the The Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas....always wanted to go there. the waitresses dress as nurses, and the waiters as doctors. They actually put you in a hospital gown when you come in and tell you that it is one less thing the parametrics have to do. They have actually had two people have heart attacks on site.

Darrin Darrin
Jul '13

I've always looked at it as a sports bar atmosphere similar to Buffalo Wild Wings. BWW in Rockaway is always packed and when I've been there, 95% of the people aren't watching the screens. If QSL has good wings and burgers, I'm sure it will do well.

Regarding enough customers, the country is getting fatter and fatter. People eat like they're going to the electric chair. I'm sure there are more than enough gluttons to support multiple places. I never tried Sonic (and not that I wasn't curious to) but never saw the appeal of picking up the food and eating in my car.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

It's not a fast food joint... it's a bar/restaurant. They also have plenty of healthy salad, chicken sandwiches and veggie flatbread options in addition to the greasy goodness. 25 different wing sauces, too.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

Darrin Darrin
Jul '13

ianimal:

You should probably visit this place.

http://fatsandwich.com/

Christography Christography
Jul '13

Chris, it reminds me of the Sandwich Shoppe and the Rutgers grease trucks, obviously.

I'm more of a "burger/wing" guy than a "throw all the greasy fried food you can find on a sub roll" type guy, but once in a great while, I'm sure it would be delicious, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

Calico, you KNOW I'm with ya on the BEER thing.... but I LOVE greasy food! All things in moderation, of course.... I'm sure you're moderate with your alcohol consumption... ;)

I allow myself 1 greasy cheeseburger and fries meal a week. And it's not fast food (McDs), it's usually from Marley's (best burger in town), Beas, Rubys, the Diner, etc.

I love the idea of grabbing a burger (as long as it's a real one and not frozen/fast food) while getting my oil changed.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '13

Wait..you can actually get an oil change there? I thought it was just a play on words.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

No you can't get your oil changed there. You might be on to something though. The place is a typical bar and grill/sports bar so i'm not really sure why people would be saying bad things about it.

I thought that Sonic went out of business because of management issues. I'm probably not one of the ones that keeps these places in business but i do like to try them every once in a while.

Bryan Bryan
Jul '13

The name of this place is udderly disgusting. Only in warren county would we get a franchise like this.

Remember that stupid place near the Prickly Pear named "steak and cake". Ugh.....look how that turned out.

Mike18 Mike18
Jul '13

Lol, no, the service station decor is purely for atmosphere. No fluids are being exchanged (except beer for urine, I suppose, lol)

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jul '13

Well, Brick, NJ has one too and the cultures of the locations are pretty far apart. It's just a name. It could be worse. You could be getting a Frank's Chicken House.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

I haven't been to Frank's in 20 years. Is it still open? Manville, right? They used to get the best "talent" back in the day... I remember seeing Savannah down there when I first started college...

QS&L has somewhere around 40 franchises around the country, so it's definitely not an "only in Warren County" thing.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

My bad!!! I assumed it was an ACTUAL auto lube place. But what a great idea, huh???? Hey..... I could make a million!!!! :)

Jul '13

JR - I actually haven't had a beer since Independence Day. However, the vodka inventory at my house has been steadily declining. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '13

I'm a gin man myself.... mojitos have been my "drink of the summer" ever since returning from key west...

Must go check out JJR (Jenny Jump Roadhouse)- they have some tasty beers on tap!!

Jul '13

road trip to franks? if still open. yes its in manville , pretty close to rt287. They did sell chicken tho, I never seen anyone eating chicken.

Based on the scrawny legs of the stripper I saw (the one and only time I was there), the chickens were hired as dancers. Place was a dump.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

Big hit in Bloomsburg PA right by the college. Always stopped on our way to Penn State as it was a half-way point. Salads, wings, wraps, etc......not a fast food place like sonic more of a Red Robin type place.

ziggy ziggy
Jul '13

How does this work. Do you have your beer and wings inside and get the lube on your way out in the parking lot?

jerseycash5
Jul '13

Ummmmm..... Jenny Jump Roadhouse isn't opening. Something happened.....Just another silly business person. Probably got flooded like Santino's Tomato Lies.

Mike18 Mike18
Jul '13

"I'm a gin man myself.... mojitos have been my "drink of the summer" ever since returning from key west..."

You're a "gin man", yet you drink rum cocktails? You're a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, my friend (-;

My favorite summertime gin cocktail is probably the Tom Collins. Very refreshing...

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

Went to RU, twice, and have lived and/or worked in the area since 1997. Never been to Franks. Never had a desire. Not a 'Gentlemens Establishment' fan. Might as just light a few 20's on fire.

And I've been to the grease trucks maybe 4 times in the last decade. Some work people like to go once in awhile as my plant is only a couple miles away. I was a fixture there in college. Fat Sam's are delicious.

Agreed on the burger/wings ianimal. I"ve been getting raw wings from Chester Meat Market and smoking them with a rub and hickory. Then I turn up the heat and sauce them with some homemade bbq. They come out awesome and they're not fried. CMM burgers are really good too.

I like a good margarita or mojito in the summer, mostly when I'm on vacation.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '13

Calico... mine too! I switched from ultra to vodka!

nj2fl05
Jul '13

I dont like chain restaurants. I enjoy eating at more home spun places. Maybe we can get one like this to open nearby.

HtownForum HtownForum
Jul '13

QS&L is finally here... Grand Opening next Wednesday at 11am.

http://thelube.com/pdf/menu.pdf

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Thanks for the update ianimal

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Aug '14

I'm waiting for Waste Management Munchie's myself.

Marley's vs. QS&L, Marley's wins!

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/08/njs_best_wings_munchmobile_crew_doesnt_chicken_out_in_crispy_quest.html

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Aug '14

Where exactly is it?
Is there a new building in Walmart's parking lot?

I'm sure I'll be going..

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Aug '14

BEG, it's a new building constructed on a pad directly behind the White Castle.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '14

Free wings this Thursday 8/21 from 1-7.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/food/index.ssf/2014/08/free_wings_up_for_grabs_at_qua.html#incart_river

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Thanks for the heads up Ian!

I remember on the "best burger" thread or another that you mentioned they were building one there when I posted about Quaker Steak & Lube aka "The Lube". I remember visiting Sharon, PA years ago and seeing the gas station, that they bought and converted to an auto-themed restaurant in 1974. I also remember passing by there while in college less than 30 miles away, but never stopping in until between 5-10 years ago when we were in town and were wondering where to stop to eat.

I suggested it since we had seen it, but never ventured inside and my Mom said it was the best cheeseburger within memory and Pop & I both loved our meals as well. I later stopped at the one in Bloomsburg several times, never being disappointed in either the food or the service.

Not only do they have an auto-themed decor (nothing like having a Corvette or two hanging in the air, but also have multiple TVs featuring sports and racing. They also have racing memorabilia. Quite a unique place to visit and known for their hot wings, which aren't my dish - I'm more a horseradish heat kinda guy. They also have "Bike Nights" and Car Nights, etc.

It looks as though there may end up being some Friday night road trips out that way after work!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

Sign up for their newsletter via email and get one free Quaker Steak & Lube Tee Shirt.

The fine print:
Dine in only. Please present this certificate to your server when placing your order. Limit one certificate per table. May only be used once. Only valid at this location. Cannot be combined with any other offer. Minimum purchase required. Expires 90 days after Grand Opening.

http://thelube.com/email-club/

I saw a FB status that it was a 2 hr wait for free wings! Thats crazy!

Christine Christine
Aug '14

I went to the Walmart today, which is right behind QS&L and oh what a line for those free wings!

Unfortunately it brought out all the crazies who decided to venture into Walmart after getting their free wings. Lol! It was like a three ring circus today, but I hope Quaker Steak n Lube do well. I plan on visting after their grand opening.

positive positive
Aug '14

positive - That Walmart is like a three ring circus on a regular day. I can't imagine what you saw today. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I would gladly pay double for the wings rather than wait 2 hours. That's just nuts.

Bryan Bryan
Aug '14

They only gave free wings to the first 100 people who were in line at 1pn and at 7pm. They got a bucket of 20 wings each. I saw the 100th person and they gave a round wooden token for a free shirt and a wrench shaped pen. Told us the grand opening was next Wednesday. I just wanted a small 5 pack of wings to try. Wish they had given more details out. I was in the area anyway.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Aug '14

Agree Calico and Bryan..I stay away from any freebies that would consist of a long wait, it's just not worth it. Concerning Walmart, yes no matter what day I go I always get a free show. Lol! I have to say I happened to try the Walmart in East Stroudsburg today only because my daughter is moving into a dorm/apt to attend ESU. Well I have shopped at many Walmarts even in California and this Walmart wins first place as the most dysfunctional freakish and scariest Walmart I ever been in!

Back to the topic, Quaker Steak n Lube looks great on the outside and is very eye catching. I hope their food is good, we really need some good food around here.

positive positive
Aug '14

Soo funny positive...I was in that Walmart yesterday in Stroudsburg and I cannot disagree with you! LOL

It's better name than that Doggie Style grooming place on Main Street.

LeRoy Grimace LeRoy Grimace
Aug '14

where is this place - Mansfield?

jrn - Out on 22 in Pohatcong near the Super Walmart.

That Stroudsburg Walmart is a hoot for sure!

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

Hey JeffersonRepub - You reminded me of an idea a friend of mine had - "Boob & Lube" - Place to get oil change for your car, and bar/restaurant like Hooters - only naughtier!

Leroy, its Doggie Styleash!

Christine Christine
Aug '14

HOW COME NOBODY MENTIONED THAT THIS PLACE SERVES BEER?????? I thought it was a fast food joint.

A friend just posted a picture of his beer that he's having there on Facebook.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

"HOW COME NOBODY MENTIONED THAT THIS PLACE SERVES BEER?????? I thought it was a fast food joint."

Yes, lots of beer. Five of us went there yesterday for lunch. The place is fantastic. I had Guinness. Try it, you'll like it.

Lamppost Lamppost
Aug '14

Calico, try to pay attention (-;

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/535262#t535302

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

I couldn't get anywhere near the inside of the place on Wenesday so I got takeout. A fifteen pack of "supercharged" wings (30,000 Scoville units) for me, a grilled chicken wrap and potato soup for sheanimal. The wings were big and meaty and the sauce was just right... spicy enough to make you sweat and keep your lips burning for about an hour, but not quite enough to make you feel like you got maced. For those who like that feeling, they have two hotter sauces... Atomic at 150,000 and Super Atomic at 500,000. Sheanimal loved the soup and liked the sandwich; her only complaint was that they forgot to put the sauce on it. Should be a great place to hang out and watch a game once the novelty wears off and there are no longer lines going around the building.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Aug '14

Sorry, missed that post. So it has a full bar and TVs? I was picturing a place the size of a Subway store. Completely thought it was a take-out fast food place.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '14

I was hoping to stop by there tonight on my way back from Pennsy, but it was getting too late and I was worried about getting home for the dog as well as figuring it'd be very crowded the first weekend after the Grand Opening. It will be nice to be able to stop there on the way back from trips to that area and beyond.

It's definitely nice stopping at the Bloomsburg Q.S.& L. on the way back from visiting relatives in Western & Central PA!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

this restaurant is a chain moving up from the south. I was invited to join them the weekend before they opened for friends and family night. (my son's gf is an employee) Food was excellent. Service was excellent. Definitely a place I'd recommend to eat. They are known for their wings, and if you like spicy, they have one wing that you can only eat if you sign their waver. (no way would I do that) Check them out.

Cheryl71 Cheryl71
Aug '14

Cheryl71

It's moving up from the South only in that they have a couple of locations in Southern NJ (Brick & Edison).

The original restaurant was in Sharon, PA which is about as far West as you can go in PA before hitting Ohio and they expanded out from that point over the next 40 years (established 1974). The vast majority of their operations are in Ohio and PA.

Thanks for another recommendation and I hope your son's gf likes working there! Every time I've gone to one, the associates have been super as well as very polite and service-oriented, just as it should be. Now if we could only get one somewhere between Hackettstown and Parsippany, I'd be really happy!

Phil D. Phil D.
Aug '14

I go to the one in Brick when I can when I'm at my place in Whiting. You can see Wild Bill's Buffalo Wings from it but I like the wings at Quaker Steak & Lube. Wings, salad and beer. Yum

thehazguy thehazguy
Aug '14

Most people I ask think the place is a quick lube...
I keep looking at the sign because I read Quaker State

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Sep '14

So far I have heard good reviews but IDK, I'm a little turned off by the pre-packaged ranch dressing in the pic above. I guess I'm a dressing snob. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '14

Calico, I hear you on the pre-packaged ranch dressing, but in reality most restaurants do not make their own, but scoop it out a gallon jug from their supplier.

At least you know that, in the package, it needn't be stored in a refrigerator, and is more likely to NOT be on the verge of spoiling from being improperly stored.

JerryG JerryG
Sep '14

And God knows what goes in those large vats of dressing after hours...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '14

Def not gluten-free, however very picky, but admit this place already has me coming back. the ranch and blue cheese that are pre-packaged were brought to my table, but we asked the waitress if they had any other dressings fresh and they had about 4 diff ranches and 3 diff blue cheeses that came in an entirely diff container and were bigger so we know they didnt change the container then bring it back to our table. My bf was so happy he could get a tall (22oz) bud light for $3 during happy hour rather than spend more on a 16oz pint any other time. Wishing the best of luck as well as hoping your long waits continue "after new-ness wears off" even though patience is a struggle, but hey it's worth it

raquel raquel
Sep '14

If some of you weren't disturbed enough before... behold the Lube Tube!!!! No, it's not Sasquatch's bong or Mr. Ed's "enhancement device". It's a vessel designed to hold 100 ounces of your favorite liquid refreshment. Calico... If you can drain it in an hour, it's on me (-;

(yes, that's a standard pint glass in the lower left)

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Oct '14

LOL Horatio wants to know if the same deal applies for him. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

BTW - 100 ounces equals 8.33 bottles of beer or 6.25 pints. Cake walk. :-)

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '14

Tell the H-man he's on... I'll bring the bustier for him to wear out of there (-;

That's a beer every 7 minutes. The first one is a cakewalk... Number 8, not so much, lol

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Oct '14

8.33 bottles in a hour? and that's a challenge? your on!

beer 1, 30 seconds
beer 2, 1 minute
beer 3, 1 minute
beer 4, 3 minutes
beer 5, 5 minutes
beer 6, 10 minutes
beer 7, 15 minutes
beer 8, You still have 24 minutes and 30 seconds to do this!

sounds like a normal day at the bar to me!

So jealous you are there btw

Darrin Darrin
Oct '14

Finally tried this place tonight. My husband wanted to check it out. As you know, I'm not a fan of chains but I was surprisingly pleased.

I had the chicken tenders and they were delicious. You could tell that they were completely fresh and hand breaded. It came with fries and a really tasty garlic/red chili sauce. The sauce had quite the kick! The cole slaw was fresh and excellent. Hubby had the ribs and wings. He said the the ribs were excellent and the wings very good.

So chicken tenders w/fries and cole slaw, ribs with wings and fries, two 22 oz beers and one double vodka and club cost us $62 including tax and tip. We will definitely go again.

Additionally, unlike most chain places, they seem to have quite a bit of specials on different days of the week. The NFL specials look great with $5 apps and good beer specials. I was surprised at how many TVs they had. I expected a car theme, which there was, but not such of an emphasis on sports. Cool place.

Calico696 Calico696
Nov '14

Thanks for the review Calico, Clyde and I passed there yesterday and wondered what the food was like. Not a chain we've ever been to but sounds like someplace we need to give a try when we're up that way again.

Bessie Bessie
Nov '14

Went here a few weeks ago, not bad if you're looking for a bar/sports/racing scene and you're not going in expecting fine dining. I had the boneless wings, sauce on the side which I found bizarre, but apparently that's how it's served based on what I ordered? Either way, it was ok. Nothing special. I found the wait staff to be a bit pushy. All others in my party ordered alcoholic beverages, and I chose not to and got a bit of a guilt trip from the waitress. Overall, not a place I would go regularly but wouldn't mind a trip once in awhile.

Went there for the first time last night and it was delicious!

Tuesdays are 14.95 all you can eat wings FYI

Despite it being a 40 minute drive for me, we will definitely be going back, I loved the atmosphere, and the waiting staff was very nice, especially the bar staff!

We had:
The 4wheeler (a appetizer consisting of mozzarella sticks, fried pickles, onion rings, and warm pretzels)
The mac and cheese burger, which was delicious
A batch of 2 different wings, one was some sort of Parmesan with franks hot sauce, and then other was some sort of buttery garlic, both were very good!
And we both had two beers each,
Total bill after tips was under 80 bucks and we took home lunch!

Darrin Darrin
Dec '14

Went there on a Sunday... big mistake. Way too loud.. We could not have a conversation.

Food was OK... wings were tasty... burgers were ok... not a place I would frequent as I can make just as good or better at home for a fraction of the cost.

But for going out ... it was typical in price for the type of venue.

Would I recommend it. hard to say. If you want to watch multiple tv's at once, for sure. If you want wings, OK, go for it.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.