Gluten Free Questions

I now have to be gluten free and have read "Wheat Belly". I can handle the GF cooking at home, but my husband and I eat out a lot and I am interested to find out if you are GF, where you eat out locally or within a 10 mile radius? Other than Mama's, who has GF. Also, any place not GF that has a meal you just love that happens to be GF?
Appreciate any input!

makin' jam makin' jam
Jul '13

A little further, but Chipotle and Red Robin offers a gluten-free bun that supposedly is pretty tasty.

Christography Christography
Jul '13

Enzo's Pizza in Budd Lake has GF - full menu
Ron's Landmark in Netcong full GF menu
Dominos Pizza makes a decent GF pizza (shocking right??)
Uncle Sal's in Budd Lake (pizza only)

Asian food is pretty much out of the question due to the soy sauce issue. You could always order stuff without sauces though. Depends on how comfortable you are with that.

Antimony Antimony
Jul '13

I would not eat at some of the places mentioned due to cross-contamination. Ask if they have a dedicated kitchen and dedicated equipment. If they can't answer that questions, walk away. Gabby's also has gluten-free pizza.

Someone
Jul '13

I'm pretty sure the Pandan Room can do Gluten Free, no?

For some amazing gluten-free sweet treats, check out Vegan Treats in Bethlehem, PA. Amazing, amazing, amazing sweet cookies and cakes. They usually have one or two different kinds of gluten free cookies and an entire rack of gluten free mini-cakes.

Challah Challah
Jul '13

Oh - Bragg's liquid amino acids is a great alternative to soy sauce.

Challah Challah
Jul '13

I've had good experiences at Pandan Room--the menu is marked & they seem knowledgable about their offerings. Bea McNallys has items listed on their menu as GF, but some of those items are actually NOT GF-- so be careful & ask about the ingredients. I've also had good GF meals at Luigi's Rancho (not listed as such on the menu, but you can ask questions & they'll accommodate if needed...all fresh cooked foods there.)

I also have had good luck with local places that do Taco lunch specials. I just ask for no cheese (a lot of pre-grated cheese is doused in flour to keep it separated.)

Good luck to you!!

TaraRx TaraRx
Jul '13

When it comes to gluten free treats, Demi's has a whole line of biscotti and brownies. They have dedicated equipment and have to clean the whole place before they can do the gluten free baking.

Check out Pandan's online menu here: https://www.1111delivery.com/5_pandan-room-menu.htm - They specify what is gluten free.

Silver Birch Kitchens in Long Valley is also very accommodating: https://www.1111delivery.com/9_silver-birch-kitchens-menu.htm

As we add more restaurant partners, we'll be sure to indicate dietary options.

Hope this helps...

Kim Torres Kim Torres
Jul '13

Unfortunately unless the establishment is cooking nothing but gluten free items the items they are telling you are gluten free are not. The minute that gluten free product hits the air of that kitchen that gluten products have been handled in it is no longer gluten free. So if you have a major sensitivity to gluten than I would suggest finding a Restaurant that is exclusively gluten free.

Painkiller
Jul '13

Matars has a gf menu. Fujiyama has gf and will give u gf soy sauce. Hing king palace will cook with your own soy sauce if u bring it.

That's not true, Painkiller. There is an acceptable amount of gluten that can be in a food, and when it reaches a certain point, it is not gluten-free. Unless there is cross-contamination by touch, the food is indeed gluten-free.

Someone
Jul '13

Acceptable to the FDA and acceptable to someone with celiac who has a major sensitivity to gluten are two different things. This is why most restaurants that claim to serve gluten free items have a disclaimer on the menu.

Painkiller
Jul '13

I should know, I'm so gluten intolerant that I can have nothing over the acceptable limit. That being said, if you have any questions makin' jam, tell me & I'll e-mail you :)

Someone
Jul '13

I should also clarify, Painkiller - the limits of gluten set by the FDA do not indicate whether or not an individual will get sick, but indicate how much it takes (of gluten) to flatten the villi in the intestine. That itself is an indicator of whether or not someone will get sick (the flattening of the villi) so the limits set by the FDA are largely correct.

Someone
Jul '13

If you are gluten free due to celiac disease, you should never eat anywhere that does not have a separate, dedicated gluten free kitchen! There is always cross contamination to some degree. In my case, just a few wheat flour crumbs can make me very ill for several days. Most restaurants do not have a dedicated gluten free kitchen like Mama's does.
These restaurant owners and employees seem to be under the impression that we are eating gluten free due to some fad diet. However, in my case it is medically necessary. I have seen pizzerias with a gluten free menu (but not a dedicated gluten free kitchen) use the same pizza cutter on the gluten free pizza that they had just used on the wheat pizza. If you are gluten sensitive, this may not bother you, but if you have celiac disease, you do not want to eat there!

Beverly G Beverly G
Jul '13

I'm with you, Beverly! Thank gosh for the emergency Zofran!

Someone
Jul '13

I truly feel for those who are of the 1% of the population who have a true gluten allergy. It certainly can be difficult to eat out at restaurants. What bothers me, though, are the number of people who say they have a gluten allergy or are "gluten free" when they have no sensitivity. They just like to say it because they think it must be good for you. As a restaurant employee I've seen the number of people who say they have a gluten allergy skyrocket over the last two years and is a problem. We have to be super careful about what we are doing on our end to avoid contamination, change menu items and preparations on the spot, etc...only to have the people order a non-gluten free dessert at the end.
"Wait...you said you had a gluten allergy", I'll say.
"Well, I can have some if I want to. I just read that gluten is bad for you."
ARGHHH!

Gluten is a protein found in wheat and some other grains that is perfectly digestible by 99% of the public. For the 1% with Celiac disease, I will do my utmost to protect their well being. but if you are eating gluten free because it is trendy...please stop.

eperot eperot
Jul '13

A very informative and accurate video about a gluten free diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.