Gold's Gym rates

Hi all:

I looked up threads on gyms and Gold's but they were more than a year old.

I'm wondering if anyone has the recent rates for Gold's Gym in town or if you know how much personal training costs?

I called but didn't want to give my phone number during the sales call transfer :O

46 a month i believe with taxes...

brian brian
Jun '13

Gyms can be so costly, if you think about it, its cheaper buying your own machines over time.......

Mine are ~$48 a month. I had a 1 year commitment and now it's month to month. A bit expensive but well worth it. It's a nice, clean facility with lots of great equipment. When I was shopping around, all were basically the same price.

Just go in and ask for the pricing. It's a 15 minute tour. No biggie.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '13

i just joined! its about $46 a month. right now they are waiving the $99 entrance fee and its only $1. that's only like $550 a year... i think its a good deal. plus its an investment in you. and the equipment you can buy for your home is not near as good.

Poppy Girl
Jun '13

it all depends what you want from a gym. You are paying higher prices at Golds because they have the movie room, basketball court, juice bar, day care, etc...

All I need is some weights and a treadmill...

I went with 24 hour fitness which was $300 for the entire year.

Anyone can purchase the same quipment a gym has. These brands are very accessable. If one considers the time you waste going back and forth to the gym, the yearly cost, the gas wasted (unless your walking distance) and the probability you will purchase something for the gym or at the gym it really comes out the same price but you dont have the comfort of your home nor any product to show for it. Like Neko said, not much needed if you want to get into shape, high quality tredmills got for about 300 bucks, and weights are extremly cheap, buy a bench and your under what you pay yearly... Jog outside to get real resistance versus created resistence from an eliptical.. Then yearly to can add more to your own personal gym.... just an idea... everyone is my house benifits from it and if you put into consideration the amount of potential people in a house going, its so worth it... half the things offered at a gym people rarely use.. just a thought even thought you have your membership already :-).......

Some people need the gym for motivation, less distraction or pressure to work out and others work out better at home because of convenience, ease, and time.

Membership vs at home, everyone has their own reasons that we do not know. For one, I live in an apartment so there is no way for me to have a treadmill.

I see both sides and both have benefits.

I would rather run outside in a heartbeat but sometimes weather or the time of the day puts me in the gym.

I belong to LA Fitness and pay $37 a month, including tax. There are two locations convenient to my work. Used to belong to NYSC, talk about a rip off. Was paying close to $70.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '13

be very wary of gold's gym's contract that you signed ---- when I wanted to discontinue, I found that I had agreed (without having read the fine print) to CONTINUE paying for three months beyond my intended stop date!!! They billed me whether I wanted to stay or not - and this was beyond the time I signed up for initially....

pmnsk pmnsk
Jun '13

Meister: I used to belong to LA Fitness as well. Thought they were reasonable. I don't like the fact that Gold's doesn't even put on the deals on their Web site and want to lure you into a tour, etc.

If you are looking for something a bit quieter and less expensive. Consider Synergy Physical Therapy and Fitness (Mansfield) @ $35.00 monthly or Get Fit (HRMC) @ $38.00 monthly. Both facilities have a lot to offer but are not open after 7 PM nightly.

ConcernedCitizen
Jun '13

Had a month trial there, Thank god I didn't have to pay.
To many guys loading up a bar on the bench to walking away to chat with their friends still claiming the bench. The tredmills are always taken and people hold them for their friends.

Not worth it for what they charge or the contract you sign. RIP OFF!

SNOWMAN!
Jun '13

If you want everything out of a gym including swimming Randolph YMCA is the place to go, $53 a month, but well worth it for all they have.

towny towny
Jun '13

I used to go to golds, and am considering going back I don't think they have monthly memberships though, so I may go with another gym in the area.

Also, I wish there was a bigger gym with a pool, steam room, etc. something a little more full service. A steam room/sauna would be a huge draw for me, and I am sure I can't be the only one!

RIverside fitness in town is good. They have childrens programs if you have kids and are less expensive than Golds. They are on the opposite side of 57 from Golds in the strip mall before Walmart.

YumPretzels! YumPretzels!
Jun '13

Tony... Nobody works out @ home regularly. it's like when your in college, to get any real studying done the best place to go is the library.

Gym equipment at home is such a gamble when eventually it turns into a closet to hang your clothes on.

Everyone needs to get out of the house and be in a new environment once in awhile.

carbs83 carbs83
Jun '13

Having a hard time understanding the cancelation
Procedure for my golds membership on the back
Of my contract. I suppose they make it confusing for a
Reason? My initial obligation was 18
Mths and that expired three years ago. Anyone have a
Recent experience canceling their membership there and could explain
The process. Thanks in advance!

Townies Townies
Jul '13

I joined Gold's Gym when it first opened here in town. I cancelled my membership 4 years ago and it took me an entire year of sending them certified letters to finally having to put a stop payment on my bank account for they continued to charge me. Lo and Behold I applied for a Parent Plus College Loan for my daughter 2 weeks ago and was initially denied for Golds Gym had it placed on my credit report as a delinquent account owing $128! lol! I have great credit, never late on any bills yet this one minute factor which wasn't my fault almost impacted my child going to college. I immediately contacted Transunion, filed a dispute and had it removed off my credit report within 10 hours for it was a bogus charge and Golds Gym has a horrible reputation of doing this to many of their members when they try to cancel. I won the fight, received the Parent Plus Loan and my daughter is going off to college. All I can say when you join Gold's Gym be prepared you're signing your life away and don't try to leave for they follow the motto of the old classic rock song "Hotel California!" lol!

"Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
Tryin to find the passage back
To the place I was before
'Relax', said the night man
We are programmed to receive
You can checkout any time you like
But(cha) you can never leave"

Realist Realist
Jul '13

I signed up for Golds before it opened, and I'm still locked in at $32.00 a month. I like it because of the basketball court. There can be some good pick up games there during the week. I had a nightmare cancelling my Riverside contract years ago, they tried to bill my credit card in one lump sum for almost a year long after I canceled. There might be different owners now though.

Denis Denis
Jul '13

I'm on Tonys side. I went to a gym, now we have a squat rack, weights, bars, treadmill, elliptical, and other odds and ends. My boyfriend and I work out at home 4 days a week, sometimes more and LOVE it!!!!. No waiting for a machine, can blast my own music, and can go any time. Not to mention, dumbells and barbell workouts are wayyyy better than machines. We found most of our stuff on Craigslist and here on HL. Have a good workout, everyone! :)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Jul '13

Had the same ridiculous experience as "realist" .... When you cancel, they keep billing and if you deny the payment, they send you to collections.... even if you have cancelled!!! Almost impossible to talk to anyone, I called the gym and they referred me to their "billing company" - the ones who keep billing, with no result.... shows up on my credit rating as it did on "realist's... scam

pmnsk pmnsk
Jul '13

I used to pay $46, was a member for several years. I work out at home now.

I have a basement with, punching bag, bicycle, bench and power block dumbells, stepper, elastic bands, TV and DVDs. I got this

With more time I can workout more, I can tell you I do not miss the gym much. I miss the baskettbal court.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jul '13

@carbs83 - Quite a few people do, and you get nice results. That is all mental, if you are not strong willed than you would have to go to the "library". When you want to study or work out you do it and get the job done anywhere...

Gym equipment is what you make of it, if you aren't going to use it at home, you certainly aren't going to make a trip to the gym..

You can get out the house and go for a jog :-)

I still use my 10 year old treadmill when I can't run outside. I play the video games on io and boom an hour is gone!

I'm one of the people that needs a gym. In my teens and in college, I had a Weider bench press set and dumbbells. I used this for many years but over time, in addition to advancing beyond the equipment I had, I found it harder and harder to stay focused on working out at home. I'll admit that it may have had a lot to do with a lack of advanced equipment.

A gym membership is quite motivating for me. I'm only 3 minutes from Gold's so the travel time is negligible. I really hate wasting money so the thought of not going to a gym and paying for it is unfathomable. I'm fortunate though and my company reimburses me for almost 100% of the cost. I can definitely see, for those that have to pay for all of it out pocket, how a home gym would be worth it.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

Golds Gym is great! Joined a few months ago. Its clean, nice people that work there, a variety of classes and its just around the corner. Also, if you bring more people with you to sign up, they may bring down the monthly price for you. You'll have to negotiate it, they won't be the one insisting :)

Jay831 Jay831
Jul '13

I was a member for a few years. Originally I signed up for a two year contract @ $45 per month. I had to cancel my membership due to financial reasons. All I did was go on to the gold's gym website and canceled. It took a few months but it was canceled. My wife still goes there and she just got her monthly payment lowered to $30 per month. All she had to do was pay a $117 registration fee.

englishe30 englishe30
Jul '13

I just did the same thing englishe30. When I think about all of the chiropractic visits (at $30 each) I had to "treat" my neck pain, a gym membership with neck strengthening exercises would have been 1/2 the cost.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

I was wondering what the $30 billboard catch was.... englishe30 is that an annual fee like the rest of the cheaper gyms or is that a one time fee then locked in at $30 a month?

Shoebie Shoebie
Jul '13

One time fee.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

One time fee...but did you have to commit to 18 mths or whatever or are you still able to be month to month at $32?

Agree with all the home gym people...my husband and I are both golds members but have been adding to our home gym and I am really enjoying working out at home...never thought I would, but I love it. Looking to keep adding so if anyone has anything they are trying to get rid of/sell, please message me!

Thanks

Townies Townies
Jul '13

What type of equipment does Get Fit @ the hospital have? Is it just treadmills & those types of cardio machines? Do they have dumbbells? Squat rack? Is it a full scale gym?

Buffy Buffy
Jan '14

Before I get jumped on for asking alot of questions. Yes, I did check their page on the hospital's website & it did not provide alot of info. Just wanted to check here first before I potentially waste time going over there to check it out. Thanks!

Buffy Buffy
Jan '14

Planet Fitness is 10 bucks a month in Roxbury.

Try Flex Fitness in Allamuchy it was just recently completely renovated and had new equipment brought in...it's less $ and all the billing is done in house so there's no hidden fees and you don't have to do a contract. We also offer over 160 classes a month.

Flex Fitness Flex Fitness
Jan '14

I would love to find place close to my daughters preschool in Flanders. The gym I used to go to went out of business. I'm looking for a month to month membership though because I only go Feb-May when it's chilly and too wet for me to be outdoors. I'd be willing to entertain a yearly membership w/Golds in Flanders, but I'm almost certain their registration fee is astronomical and they want an 18-24 month commitment to get the best rates. I toured there 1.5 yrs ago and that's all I can remember from their sales pitch - that and will only do a one day trial. I'm entertains the idea of Crunch in Stanhope. If anyone has a coupon for them, please let me know.

Antimony Antimony
Jan '14

Be careful of Gold's. Read the fine print of your contract before you sign. They tell you one thing and it's not what their contract says.

Flex Fitness is less than a mile off exit 19.

Jan '14

How much is Flex Fitness monthly rate and what does it include?

Tweety Tweety
Jan '14

We offer over 160 classes a month...2 levels of strength training and cardio equipment,the biggest free weight section in the area,and highly certified trainers and instructors. We have no enrollment fee and no hidden costs everything is included. We offer contract and no contract options at a lower price than our competition and if not we will match it. Feel free to stop in and try us out or call us 908 813 1211

Jan '14

Here's another question to add on. Four friends and I are looking for classes that start after 6:30 at night. Seems like a lot start at 5:30 and with kids and work, it gets to stressful to get a work out in. Does anyone know of any gyms in the area that offer classes around 6:30 two or three nights a week. Jazzercise has an option but looking for y'all's expertise.

ShelbyLee ShelbyLee
Jan '14

Flex has classes that start later!

Jan '14

Anyone belong to RDA in Byram or Golds? Both have later evening classes that's friends and I need. Just looking for some feedback.

ShelbyLee ShelbyLee
Jan '14

Jazzercise of Hackettstown has four 7 pm classes, ShelbyLee, Monday through Thursday, plus 8:15 am and 9:30 am on Saturdays, and 9:30 am and 3 pm on Sundays! Come check it out -- first class free for all next week, 2/10-2/17, and waived joining fee if you say you are on HackettstownLife! Click on my link for more information!

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Feb '14

@Antimony - did you get the recent mailer from Crunch at Stanhope? It's only $9.95/month for the basic gym membership (I don't believe basic includes classes though which is what Crunch is known for; their one-of-kind 300+ classes offered every week). Actually the regular membership costs which includes classes, tanning, hydro message, etc. is only $19.95 which is still AT LEAST $20/month lower than what Gold's Gym in Mansfield offers. I was a member there in 2011-2012 and spend over $500/18 months there. I was nice but I couldn't afford to continue it.

Another thing that I loved about Gold's Gym is the daycare facilities on site. I think you had to pay an additional $20/month but it worked out well if you go 3-4 times a week. Crunch at Stanhope doesn't have any daycare services and they publicized that they don't plan on adding any soon either.

Liz Z Liz Z
Feb '14

Anyone have any updated information? I toured gold's and it was gorgeous but I'm nervous reading everyone's experiences with leaving.

Njchia Njchia
Sep '14

Njchia- I was 100% nervous myself. I kept debating signing up for Gold's and then I just couldn't make myself do a year long contract especially with health problems, so I had signed up for another gym. After a few months at another gym, I just wasn't happy w/the equipment, how busy everything was, lack of parking (sometimes there was no parking!!!) and classes.

My husband ended up signing us both up at the end of last December at Gold's since he loves to play basketball there and honestly I don't regret it at all! My health was getting better and I absolutely love going into the little movie theater room, watching a movie and riding a bike. After being there a year, we will then go to month-to-month vs. a year long contract. It's one of those on if you want to sign a year long contract vs. paying month-to month. Even at my old gym, I still had to give them 3 months notice (which I felt was slightly ridiculous).

Good luck!

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Sep '14

I am all for a home gym. I would be much more likely to spend an hour 3 times a day as opposed to getting in the car and driving to the gym a few times per week. But the hook is having the room for it. Having a family and not a particularly large house makes owning the equipment difficult.

Tanya Tanya
Sep '14

What happened to fit happens?

Empathetic Empathetic
Nov '14

Fit Happens was sold and is now Flex Fitness.

Lynnada Lynnada
Nov '14

Anyone know what Flex charges monthly?

LJRubi LJRubi
Nov '14

Trying to get the prices for gyms is like pulling teeth...

Hey Flex is $40 a month all classes and full use of the gym included!!!

FLEX Fitness FLEX Fitness
Nov '14

Is there an upfront fee or contract for Flex Fitness?

ldiva ldiva
Nov '14

gold gym does not honor other gold' rates.. my hubby pay on 9.99 a month out in Totowa!! WTF

nutty nikki nutty nikki
Nov '14

Re: Gold's Gym rates

I know some people think that Achieve 24 Fitness is not as nice as Golds gym. But I have to say, having the option to go when ever you want at the prices they have is worth it.

It's what you put in to the gym that you get out of it. If you want the Glamor then you can pay for it. Just remember when you go to Achieve 24 you will not see this (what is in the attached picture) unless it is for repairs, cleaning or upgrades.

Flex Fitness, are there any other conditions on the $40 per month? Can I pay month to month with 0$ down?

ldiva ldiva
Nov '14

I am relocating to the Hackettstown area and looking for gym membership prices. Any information on current prices and promotions would be appreciated!

Melissa K. Melissa K.
Apr '15

About 2 years ago, they ran a promotion for existing members - $100 one time payment, $29.99 a month fixed. They had an even better deal for new members. Don't know what it is now.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '15

Melissa K. - There are so many promotions and the rates change so often you'll need to call around and get prices from all the gyms. There is a lot of competition so visiting the gyms and playing them off each other should get some pretty good deals.

I actually just emailed Gold's 2 weeks ago for the Htown rates. The trainer/promoter got back to me with this.

"Throughout the year my enrollment fee is $149 onetime and my monthly dues are $42.99 per month plus tax.

Right now with my promo, I would take $40 off of your enrollment fee AND $29.99 monthly dues LIFETIME RATE!! This is a great promotion!

My other options are $79 one time enrollment and $39.99 per month, or $1.00 enrollment and $49.99 per month."

Planet Fitness is in Succasunna, they're $10 a month. For $20 you get perks like haircuts and tanning beds, half off drinks and other stuff.

Lilith Lilith
Apr '15

Just as Lilith stated via her quote, they are still relatively expensive. If you're towards the North end of the Hackettstown area, Crunch Fitness on Rt. 183 in Stanhope has two levels of membership also, $9.99 and $19.99. I forgot what their enrollment fees are, but they aren't as high as Gold's. If I did join a gym, it would be Crunch, since it's actually right on my way home (Hopatcong) and to work (in the Hackettstown area).

My Health care plan also offers a $20 per month rebate if I sign up at a participating gym (both Crunch Gold's & Riverside are in the plan) and check in 3 times a week. For Crunch, that would cover all the dues at the better level of membership. I just have to check out their free weight section sometime to see if they have what I need. Of course there's always the weight I have at home, plus various bars, dumbells & kettlebells I could use to make up for what they don't offer to round out my workout.

Check into your own Healthcare Plan. Part of the reason so many gyms are popping up is due to that "fitness/wellness" rebate that's enticing more people to go and work out (or at least to sign up). You may be surprised to find that it will cover part of your membership fee, as long as you're consistent about it.

My favorite gym was the Field House in College with its indoor 1/8th mile track, several workout rooms with machines, pull up bars, etc. and matted workout rooms with lots of room where we could spar or practice martial arts workouts, do yoga, etc. Of course for the real serious stuff, I belonged to the Campus Weightlifting Club, where we had our own rooms filled with tons of weight, lifting platforms, squat racks, benches, etc. That was for my strength and powerlifting competition training.

I think Centenary used to have a local program, where you could pay a fee to use their facilities during certain hours as well, but since they expanded, I haven't seen that program shown anymore, just the pool program.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

If you choose Gold's take time to read their contract closely.

Ollie Ollie
Apr '15

Ollie

Agreed!!!!!! I was one of the people that bought a "pre-opening" contract and by the time they opening had some illness issues that precluded me from using it, however I couldn't find any way out of the contract and it kept coming out of my account automatically until I later forced the issue.

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.