Is it blueberry season yet?

I'm jonesin' for some homemade blueberry pie. Are local berries coming to market yet?

We're heading to Rice's Market in New Hope this Saturday and I was just wondering what to expect from a fresh fruit standpoint... thanks in advance.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '13

I know the strawberries are ready. I would think blueberries too.

Bryan Bryan
Jun '13

Not quite yet.. end of June, July for blueberries.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '13

Dang... what IS in season now? Just strawberries?

ianimal ianimal
Jun '13

Answered my own question... looks like just cherries and strawberries. Cherry pie can be good... but not as good as blueberry =(

http://www.jerseyfresh.nj.gov/agriculture/jerseyfresh/find/availability.html

ianimal ianimal
Jun '13

Re: Is it blueberry season yet?

I agree 100% ianimal, while a good slice of cherry pie can be good, a homemade blueberry pie or cobbler is banging. I made so many last year I think I began to look like Violet from Willy Wonka -just not as round!!

Sandy knocked down my elder berrie tree so we are out of luck this year

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jun '13

I've always gone blueberry picking in July into the first or second week of August so it may be a little early yet for local berries.

Davis Davis
Jun '13

The blueberries are starting picking next week per some relatives down near AC. They're a bit early compared to all of the generic list of dates.

The Red White and Blueberry festival in Hammonton,NJ will be held June 30th

longhorn longhorn
Jun '13

Donaldsons strawberries are awesome this year. So juicy and sweet. I had blueberries from SR last week not so good!

Christine Christine
Jun '13

Does anyone know of a organic blueberry farm somewhere within reason?

sm, try this...

Box J Farm
523 Bellwood Park Road, Asbury (Bethlehem Twp.)

Directions:
Rt. 78 to Exit 11, Rt. 173 W over Jugtown Mountain, left onto Tunnel Rd., 1 mi., left onto Bellwood Park Rd., on right up the hill

Phone:

(908) 479-2268 or (908) 419-7149

Email:

boxjfarm@patmedia.net

Open:

Weekends in May & June, June 25 - September 5, dawn - dusk

Roadside Market:

All produce certified organic heirloom and hybrid varieties, eggplant, zucchini, bush beans, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, sweet corn, peppers, sweet basil, cilantro

Pick Your Own:

Red raspberries, blueberries

Also Available:

Free range and 100% organic brown and white eggs

Please call ahead for u-pick

ianimal ianimal
Jun '13

Re: Is it blueberry season yet?

Today I ate my first, fat, juicy blue berry from the bushes that have grown in my yard for 30 years. Not enough to make a pie yet, ianimal, but tasty just the same.

Chickadee Chickadee
Jul '13

Chickadee: If you make a blueberry pie as well as you bake quiche....I'll be over!

joyful joyful
Jul '13

Thanks, joyful. I'll try my best.

Chickadee Chickadee
Jul '13

Are farmstands selling blueberries yet? The prices at the supermarket are still really high, so I figure maybe the season is starting late?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '14

I think you're late - shop-rite had a 6 pack of pints for abut 8 bucks a few weeks ago --
last I saw pints were 1.95----I could be wrong but I thought it was just about over

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '14

We got 5 quarts of the best blueberries last week at Donaldons. 1 to freeze, 1 to eat, 3 for pie. This week we'll get 5 more, 1 to freeze, 1 to eat, 2 for blueberry bread, 1 for smoothies... short answer, yes they're here!

hktownie hktownie
Jul '14

our bushes produced a bumper crop this year, it was a good haul, several gallons of blueberries.

we're pretty pumped about it over here,

thank goodness, we all get blessed in different ways on different days,

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '14

Ian, the three blueberry bushes I bought from BJs a few weeks ago have had ripe and ripening blueberries on them since then, until the birds took even the unripe ones on Friday:-( They are "midseason" varieties, so I imagine there are other bushes ripening even now as well. Next year I'll be netting them so I can hog them all. I did get a few to eat this year though:-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '14

I've noticed blueberries sourced from south jersey in Shoprite for the last few weeks. Before that they were from North Carolina. We were in the Verdi Fresh fruit market in Budd Lake on Friday and picked up two pints of Driscoll's brand blueberries that were large and delicious. I believe they were sourced from the west coast. On the package label I saw a "Oregon Bounty" logo so I'd have to assume they were harvested in Oregon. $1.50 a pint it was at Verdi this past Friday.

We've been getting blueberries from Alstede for a couple weeks. Delicious.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

Last week we drove by chester forgot the name of the farm they are having blueberry festival..check it out

Farm in Chester = Alstede.

Stella G's has been doing special blueberry dishes for a few weeks now.

I don't know if any of you has heard of Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck. We had their blueberry crumble pie last week. It's awesome.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

The colors of my alma mater, Rider University, are cranberry and blueberry, because the first president made his fortune growing and selling them in the Hammonton area.

Love em, blueberries are so tasty on top of my Cheerios and cranberries keep your urinary tract clean.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

@ Meister my mom discovered Delicious Orchard a few months ago and now we are taking twice monthly trips there! It is fantastic!! Try their Cranberry Apple Cider next time you go.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jul '14

Having grown up and spent 35 years in Monmouth County I know Delicious Orchards well!! My former boss back in the 1990's would always get us pies from there for Thanksgiving. Went apple picking there as a child.

My mouth is watering for one of their apple pies now as I type this. Damn you Meister!! :-)

Ha. Grandma Meister lived in Freehold, maybe 5 miles away. We would always stop there after visiting her. Mmmmmm applesauce cake.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jul '14

Did you ever run into Springsteen in Freehold?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

Big Springsteen fan here...unfortunately no I never did Andy but my sister did when she worked at the Galleria in Red Bank back in the early 2000's. She came away with a nice personalized autograph.

Anyone hungry here for Italian that happens to be down in Freehold be sure to check out Frankie Feds. Was there in June...good stuff.

Ohh that's right....... blueberries...

I actually have a remote Springsteen connection ... we are the same age and were both students at Ocean County College at the same time, but I never knew him.

I'm sure, in Ocean County, we both ate lots of blueberries.

I was on the basketball team, the staff at The Viking News, and I wrote the lyrics to the song which was selected in a student competition as the Alma Mater song.

I do not know if Springsteen submitted a song, he was probably too busy writing Born to Run.

http://www.ocean.edu/campus/alma_mater.htm

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jul '14

Stopped by Delicious Orchards yesterday on the way home from the beach. Blueberry Crumb pie procured. Also an applesauce cake with cream cheese icing to go in the freezer. Tummy very happy.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Aug '14

I recently tried a blueberry wine at Four Sisters Winery, called Mia's Blueberry. It was really delicious. :)

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.