Foster Parents and Warren County DYFS

I just read a posting under events that Warren County is in dire need of foster parents. Why is this? I know exactly why this is but I would like to hear if anybody else has had postiive or negative experiences with this office. Thanks for sharing!

Mr.Mudge
May '13

I saw the post too. I've never dealt with any foster service, but know people who have gone through it. I hear it is such a long, drawn out invasive process.

grapes grapes
May '13

I am a foster care worker in the Morris county DYFS (DCPP) office.. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like .

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '13

Been there done that... Can be rewarding can be traumatizing

Happiness
May '13

Sadly there is always a need for qualified homes to house children who for reasons beyond their control have been removed from their homes. DCP&P (formerly known as DYFS) generally likes to house children in the foster care system close to where their homes were so that if possible, they can remain in their schools and close to other family members or support systems. This is likely why there is a need for homes in Warren County (and the surrounding areas). While the process to become a state recognized foster parent might seem long, I have dealt with the foster care system and can say that from the cases that I’ve seen, it is well worth the time to become a foster parent as you’d really be helping a child improve their chances at succeeding in life.

Someone
May '13

Grapes and Happiness are correct. The approval process is very long and also invasive. If only the division would use similar standards and guidelines when hiring and training employees. A common problem that I have had is that some (not all) caseworkers take the little bit of power that has been granted and abuse this power and take advantage of the system. I have seen several caseworkers that have not been trained properly (if at all) that feel they know what is the best interest for children placed in the system. Like you said Happiness- fostering can be very rewarding but if you happen to be one of the unlucky families to become involved with a bad caseworker the results not only effect a poor child (or children) but also the fostering family.

Mr.Mudge
May '13

The process cannot take any longer than 150 days from start to finish. The foster care caseworkers have no input on whether to remove a child or not, we just recruit people to become foster parents& assist them with the licensing process. The facts& the choice to remove a child& keep them in foster care lies solely in the hands of the judge. If the judge feels that there is not enough evidence presented by the caseworker to warrant a removal or keep the child in care then he/she will not grant the removal& at times we have been ordered to return the child back home if we did an emergency removal. Contrary to popular belief we have very little power, the problem lies with people not knowing what their rights are. A police officer cannot enter your home without a court order and neither can we. I inform all my clients of what their rights are& encourage people to educate themselves. Most people know what their rights are when the police are involved through tv& the movies, but know nothing about family law& the child welfare system.

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '13

Don't get me started about DYFS... Half the people they hire for that organization couldn't hold a job as a cashier at McDonalds....

Metsman Metsman
May '13

As in any organization you will get good employees and you will get employees who are just there to warm the seat and take a paycheck. Do not judge all of DCP&P by the bad apples they may have, they have plenty of employees who like you are working to do what is best for the children and families.

Resource Parent Resource Parent
May '13

Yeah well those bad apples tear families apart. It's a serious matter.

Metsman Metsman
May '13

“Tear families apart?” How about assist children by taking them out of circumstances where they are not safe and provide education and chances to improve parenting skills to the parents/guardians. The goal of DCP&P is NOT to “tear families apart,” instead it promotes reunification and permanency in the lives of affected children. Wow, just wow. To make such a harsh statement about a job that is so emotionally fueled to workers who work so hard to better the lives of children with zero evidence to back it up is outright ignorant. Also, workers must go through rigorous training and are not permitted to make judgment calls without strong evidence.

Someone
May '13

Well Someone... in a properly run orginization that truly has the best interests of the children in the forefront to promote reunification and premanency would be splendid, however, that is not the case when it come to the Warren County Office. We have been fostering for ten years now and have had nothing but horrific issues with several people (including so-called managers) in that office. They lie to your face, they attempt to bully you, and if you call them out on their b.s. they black list you. They operate with a true C.Y.A. mentality that is number one on their agendas. As for this so-called "rigorous training", I would like to know exactly what that entails and where it takes place.

Mr.Mudge
May '13

Someone, I can tell you from my own experience that they don't need strong evidence to screw with your family.

Metsman Metsman
May '13

@Metsman-what did they do to your family

Lawyer Lawyer
May '13

I don't want to post it on here. If you'd like to know then PM me.

Metsman Metsman
May '13

Mr. Mudge I can see you have had many bad experiences with your case workers. What did you do to try to escalate the issues and have them rectified? Can you give more examples of what you have experienced? Do you have names of the workers that you can share? How did they black list you and how do you know this?

Resource Parent

Resource Parent Resource Parent
May '13

Metsman,

You are giving me something to be concerned about. My husband and I were thinking about fostering a child but have reservations on how it will affect our son and of coarse our current life as we know it. I know it must be ver rewarding in some ways but can you tell me the drawbacks?

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
May '13

I don't foster. Just have had dealings with DYFS because of my ex-wife.

Metsman Metsman
May '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.