What to do if you find an injured/abandoned wild animal

What to do if you find an injured/abandoned wild animal

I used to volunteer in wildlife rehabilitation. It's springtime -- the season of baby animals of all kinds -- and over the past two weeks, I've gotten a few requests for advice on what to do with a possibly injured or abandoned young animal. Here is some helpful information on where to turn, and whom to call, in New Jersey.

On finding injured or young wildlife: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bornwild.htm (Read this first before moving the animal.)

If the animal definitely needs human intervention to survive, call a licensed animal rehabber. They are listed here:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/rehab_list.pdf

Note that only licensed rehabbers are allowed to care for animals. You aren't allowed to try to do it yourself, nor am I. I might know what to do because of my past volunteer experience, but unfortunately, I am not legally allowed to care for any animals because I am not currently working in a center. (And I generally try to limit my law-breaking activities.) ;-)

Thank you for caring about an animal who might need help.

(Attached pic is a former little "bandit" patient, happily re-released into the wild.)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '13

So... "chop up some root vegetables and fire up the stew pot" wasn't the right answer?

ianimal ianimal
May '13

Here is a wonderful local resource - Wild Baby Rescue Center is a (Blairstown) New Jersey-based non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of wildlife through education, rehabilitation, and release.

http://www.wildbabyrescue.org/about.html

Click on "Help An Animal - What To Do"

As Rebecka stated - be sure the animal even needs your help! Sometimes moving an animal can cause more harm than simply leaving it alone...

honey badger honey badger
May '13

First thing I do is contact Rebecka! j/k~ though you have directed me to the proper place last time...thank you.

I have taken a couple of orphaned cottontails and one baby squirrel to Woodland Wildlife Refuge in Pittstown last summer. Their number is 908-730-8300.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
May '13

is antler ridge still taking in wildlife?

stressed out stressed out
May '13

If you click on the second link I provided, you will get a list of all rehab centers that are currently taking in wildlife.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '13

This is great info. thank you!

Poppy Girl
May '13

Most "abandoned" babies are not in fact "abandoned". The primary defense mechanism for rabbits and deer is their lack of smell. In other words predators cannot readily smell them. So often mothers move away from them when they are young. Returning to them only when they feed, and then moving away leaving the fawn or kits hiding in the weeds.

The worst thing you can do is handle them or move them, then the mother cannot find them or you have added your smell to them and predators can find them.

If they are injured then call a licenses rehabilitator, if they look lonely leave them alone.

Agust Agust
May '13

Antler Ridge is suppose to wonderful and in Warren County.
http://www.antler-ridge.com/
That's great you are reaching out to help the helpless, wish there were more people like you!

I volunteered at a wildlife rehab center for 9 years. One mistake a lot of people make is 'rescuing' a fawn. Female deer leave their babies alone up to 12 hours a day. If you do hear the fawn crying continually for a long period of time, then that is the time to contact a rehab facility and let them advise you what to do. Another thing to look out for is an opossum that has been hit by a car. It could be a mom with babies in her pouch that could still be alive. You can remove the babies and get them to a rehab facility. Always call the facility first before showing up. You don't want to just leave an animal at a facility if no one is there to receive it. (I mention this because it was done numerous times at the facility I volunteered at). If you see a fox with mange, they can be successfully treated; again, contact the rehab facility. I, same as Rebecka, can not care for any wild animal as I am not a licensed rehaber and I too like to keep my law breaking activities to a minimum!

Thank you for the info Iris. I may be thinking to into this but don't Opossum "play dead"? In other words, if I were to hit one and it was still alive just faking it and I tried to take her babies out of her pouch would she attack me?

jrsemom jrsemom
May '13

They certainly do play dead, jrsymom! And they are very convincing. Maybe look for breathing? Although I've actually handled one (moving it away from my dogs) when it was playing dead, and it just kept up the act, it didn't attack. That said, everyone should use their own judgement. **Wear gloves** when handling wildlife, and know that all mammals can carry rabies.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '13

I am bumping this thread up because of course it's still the season for finding all kinds of baby critters, and also because Alicia posted this link on another baby bird thread. The link is to is a really great chart on what to do if you've found a baby bird. Thank you, Alicia, for finding this!

http://www.nantucketsafeharborforanimals.org/Safe-Harbor/News/baby%20bird.jpg

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '13

Sadly, I always thought if a baby bird fell from its nest, it would die slowly or the mother would abandon it. I found out later the best thing to do if possible is to put it back in its nest. I also found as was previously stated, if a fawn is alone, leave it there and the mother will eventually come back to it..

boobalaa boobalaa
Jul '13

I volunteer at Antler Ridge and Wildlife Freedom - and I've seen how often people think fawns or bunnies need rescuing - when they don't. The rule of thumb is first that the parents leave the babies alone for hours. Deer visit their young at dawn and dusk generally. Rabbits do the same. So unless you find the dead parent, leave the babies alone overnight unless they are crying in a distressed manner. If they are lying in the same position the next day, call your local wildlife rescue. Re bunnies the trick is to put thread or dental floss - chrisscrossed over the nest. Check it the next day. If it is disturbed you know the mom has been by. If not they may need to be brought to a rescue. If you are not sure, call the local rescue. You will be given great advice about what to do with whichever critter you've found. Injured birds are taken 24/7 at the Raptor Trust - which is - by the way - a wonderful place to visit.
Antler ridge works with all wildlife - mammals except predators - ie foxes and coyotes. Wildlife Freedom works with all including foxes and coyotes

The good news is that busy season is winding down in the rescues except baby squirrels. They are being brought in by the dozen.

noname noname
Sep '13

driving to Blairstown to the wild baby rescue center. I've called and got directions to get there from Hackettstown. Because I'm not familiar with Blairstown and don't have GPS, asking if this is an easy drive. Has anyone driven up there from H'town? .

denise denise
Jul '14

Yes, Ive been there a few times and it is easy to get to. I believe you make a right off of Rt 94 and then another right which is the street the center is on. Can't remember the names of the streets but if you have the directions, you should find it easy enough.

kayaking kayaking
Jul '14

You can always map it out on map quest or google maps also.

Made it there and back. The place is just a little out of my comfort zone because I don't travel in that area. A nice place, and good to know there are places like this for this type of emergency. And any effort on my part to nurse the little guy back to health would've been a disaster!

Denise Denise
Jul '14

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.