Any runners in town?

Hi in a young mom looking to get into shape and start a new and healthy hobby Iove walking but have decided iI'd really like to start running but I need advice on how to start every time I start to run I have a lot of difficulty breathing and my throat feels tight but the doctor said I don't have asthma . I would appreciate any tips for a beginning runner.

I may even be interested in a running partener who would have patience to help me out in learning techniques and finding my rythm but running together seems much more fun . I would prefer a female running partener it would be more comfotable for me maybe even a fellow mom or another begining runner who would like to learn together and help push eachother. Please post advice. Thankyou

proudmom12 proudmom12
May '13

Welcome to the club!

I know people with a similar feeling when they run. First, can I ask do you have any anxiety? Most of the people I know who have that feeling with their throat tightening or difficulty breathing have found it is because they get anxiety when they feel their heart rate get elevated.

megan megan
May '13

Run, don't walk to Riverside Health and Fitness in Mansfield! :):)

Contact Kelly Shea for some great advice

http://www.riversidehfc.com/runners-world.php

Good Luck!

My wife started running by using the Couch to 5k app on her phone. She has just completed the program and is now getting ready to run her first 5k this weekend. It is a gradual progression of walk/jogging. I started it about four weeks ago as well and I am enjoying it as well. I am a former smoker that has not had a cigarette in over two years so breathing was definitely an issue when I started. Look it up if you are interested

englishe30 englishe30
May '13

First of all, good for you for taking the jump into running. I'm not a runner but I've always kind of envied people that could run for miles and miles. It doesn't happen overnight though and like anything else, you have to train your body, especially your lungs, to take on a challenge like running. Start slow and look into the Couch to 5k program. Good luck.

Tracy Tracy
May '13

Couch to 5K is awesome! I couldn't run at all, and it really helped me build my endurance. If you get the app, it will tell you when to walk, when to run, etc. So easy! Good luck!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
May '13

Thank you for the tips on the app I will download it . I do have anxiety yes always about my health I constantly feel like I'm dying for no apparent reason .. but I don't like the way anxiety pills make me feel walking usually helps but yes I can see how the heart rate may be jumping my anxiety I will work on that .

Also does anyone know if it matters what time of day you run cause the best t one for me is around 11 or 12 noon.. I wasn't sure if the time effects your body's reactions .. I would go to the gym but I don't have money for that I have a total gym and treadmill at home and go to park for walks . I have 2 kids and 2 dogs I don't need another expense ... I'm sure they are great though

proudmom12 proudmom12
May '13

Everyone is different I think. I find it easier for me to run around 5 p.m. I have tried morning runs around 7:30 and I find I run out of energy much quicker.

englishe30 englishe30
May '13

Hey! I'm a 38 year mom of one. I just ran my first 5K this past Saturday. I managed to not get injured or die in the process. I am probably one of the least physically fit person I know -- I truly don't like exercise. I'm lucky to have been blessed with a great metabolism.

I followed a C25K program by a woman named Carli Fierce. You can find her at runningintoshape.com. I chose her program because it was preset to music and included audio cues for walk and jog intervals. It was a great training program for anyone that does not like watching a clock or having to march a set pace. I finished the race in about 40 minutes with an average pace of 13 min/mi. Considering that the course was super hilly, I walked a lot of it, and I had to stop training about 3 weeks ago due unrelated medical issues -- I was thrilled with my results.

Good luck! Remember you have to goals: 1) start and 2) finish

Everything else is just the in between stuff!

Antimony Antimony
May '13

I've been running for about a little more than 10 years and found that pacing is key. The expression "slow and steady wins the race" holds true. You are racing yourself and as Antimony said you have two goals: start and finish.

When starting out it's much better to do a slow pace so you can develop stamina (and confidence) to go longer distances.

As for times of day? I think it depends on when you have the most amount of time. If 11 or noon works for you, then go for it! The key is consistency. You're more likely to stick to a routine if you do it around the same time everyday!

I usually run around town in parks like Fields of Dreams and Riverfront Park.

PM me if you want to run!

I walk at river front every day with my kids but I want to start running without them and get some me time in 11-12 is the only time I really can because of my husbands work achedule and the kids . I would love to run with u if that time is good with you . I'm not sure how the pm works on this site

proudmom12 proudmom12
May '13

Good for you! I used to, and sometimes still do get that feeling when running. It is totally normal, you just have to build your stamina. I used the couchto5k program last summer and I lost about 30lbs by the fall. The great thing about running is the only person you're in competition with is yourself. So simply by trying you are doing better than you did when you weren't trying. :)

AliciaStill AliciaStill
May '13

To PM. Simply click on the envelope next to your name :-)

ess is right on, saying that pacing is the key.

A quarter-mile track like the one at the high school is a good place to start. A track coach explained to me a long time ago, that running a mile in six minutes (which was a requirement to play on the basketball team) is simply doing four 90-second quarters. Starting out, you have someone with a watch call "pace" every 90 seconds and you either speed up or slow down depending on how far you've run to that point.

Before you worry about speed, just jog a quarter of a mile. Then do another, even if you need to walk part of it. Before long, you'll be running a mile and then two miles, perhaps even three on a day you feel real good. Once I was doing three miles four times a week, that six-minute mile when it was time to do it, felt easy.

When you've worked on establishing a comfortable "pace," you'll soon know if you are on it even when you're running alone ... when it starts feeling easy, you can either speed it up or just maintain it and go further out.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '13

Yes..Everyone is running out of town.

Davy Crockett
May '13

Hello,

I just moved to town and am also just starting to run and get in shape again. I'm not a mom, but I am 30 years old. I tried to run the other day and did much more walking then running, so if that is the level you are on, we should meet up! I find more success when I am accountable for meeting with another person.

Would love to help this post. I have been running for over 30 years and would love to pull the Htown walking and running community together.

jmo517 jmo517
May '13

jmo517. I've searched on meetups for running groups in Hackettstown and was so disappointed to find nada! I'd totally be interested in group runs.

I wish that it allerted me when the thread is commented on right now I'm still at a wlking pace I need to work up to jogging and running but I'd be happy to meet for walks. And eventually runs .. right now I go walk at lriverfront park its so nice there .

proudmom12 proudmom12
May '13

ess, I am hoping to get something (informal) going this summer with the HS cross country kids. Many different levels there so it should be pretty inclusive. The Riverfront park idea is good too because the loop there is about 1-1/2 miles and it really won't matter if the paces vary because everyone will end up in the same place for the social (informational exchange, advice and sharing ideas) which keeps everyone motivated.

jmo517 jmo517
May '13

Hello there,

I'm not in Hackettstown but I'm in Blairstown and I pass by every day on my way home from work. I've been running for many years and have done numerous races from 5k's to marathons but due to an injury I'm starting all over again after having a few months off. I would love people to run with. Starting over quite honestly sucks :)

I agree with Ess that pacing is the key. Sometimes if I'm in a big race where there are a lot of people I know watching I get very nervous and screw up my breathing. Right now I am self-conscious because I am starting over and I know that isn't helping my breathing at all. In reality runners are the most supportive people out there and would do anything to help other runners, but it's a mental thing.

If you or anyone ever would like to run after work just drop me a line!
Karen

red76nj red76nj
May '13

I love this idea as well -- does anyone know what the distance of the trail in Doctor's Park is -- going all the way around the basketball and volleyball court where the pavilion with the picnic tables are and back to the playground? Thanks in advance!

I hope this happens ~ I vote early morning :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
May '13

happy2bhere, the loop including the trail around the volleyball area(other side) is about 1.5mi. Seems all of the local 5ks are following the same loop (2x). There is actually a 5k next wkend, (St Mary's 5k) and on June 1 (Run for Ryan) so walk or run a good place to start..

jmo517 jmo517
May '13

Thank you, jmo517 ~ I would like more info on the upcoming 5Ks -- so 2x's around that loop is 3 miles?

happy2bhere happy2bhere
May '13

As a side note, for anyone questioning mileage I highly recommend the mapmyrun app. It is a great program and very accurate.

megan megan
May '13

Yay fellow runners! JMO517 can you post here when you round up the gang or PM me?

Hello running people!

Please don't desert me now! After having yet another setback with a bout of bronchitis for two weeks I need people to run with (slowly at first) now more then ever.

Any ideas? Places to run? Meetups? Running with beer afterward (which always helps in the summer)? ;)

red76nj red76nj
Jun '13

I'm happy to run a 13:30 minute/mile for as long or short a distance as you want! I usually run from Countryside Apts down Main Street through Almuni Field and back. Or I do a loop up back 517. Happy to run anywhere, though. PM me if interested. Once summer comes, I'm available anytime - but until then, nights, or very early mornings during the week - weekends negotiable. ;) No beer for me afterward, but happy to share my coconut rum.

Challah Challah
Jun '13

Let's do this folks! Been so wanting a Hackettstown running club. As a runner for more than 10 years, I am happy to help,

For beginners, I would do short-term goals. Pick 1/4 of a mile and jog. Find your pace. If you reach your short-term goal and feel that you can keep going, by all means, go for it.

I can meet Thursdays and Fridays from 10 a.m.- noon at Riverfront Park, or Fields of Dreams, both excellent running spots.

I'm also free on the weekends when DH is around to look after DD! And beer? I'm in! Nothing like replenishing those carbs :-)

Please PM me if you're up for the challenge :-).

ess - I'll hit you up in July when school lets out for the summer. I'm down for Thursday or Fridays.

Challah Challah
Jun '13

There are 5k cross country runs in the former Greystone Park (Central Park in Morris Plains) every Wednesday night (6:45pm) during the summer. There are many walkers, and very young kids who walk/run. Its about 40 minutes away (kind of a haul). It is run by NJ Trail Series, they are sensational people (just an idea). Have to work during the day, but I love the Field of Dreams grass (have a 2-1/4 mi loop) so perhaps evenings, Sat or Sunday if anyone is game. Out the door tomorrow morning at 6, so perhaps I will be saying hi to a few more of my fellow runners.

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Where's Field of Dreams loop?

Challah Challah
Jun '13

I'm game Saturdays/Sundays, too. Evenings are tough with a little one, but I can probably do one night, if someone wants to pick. Wednesdays are out though!

I was finding it hard to find time away from the kids but picked up a jogging stroller today I am a begginer so I don't know my limits or pace yet but I'm planning on mornings at riverfront park before it gets to hot in the day. So if ur not apposed to joining someone attempting to run with kids. Ill be starting there . Not sure what time exactly its hard to say with kids but mornings not would be willing to set a specific time tho

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

Hi proudmom12: Jogging strollers are awesome! My kiddo loved my runs as evidenced in her conking out :-). Maybe try the 1/4 mile by the basketball courts, light jogging?

I sometimes stop by Riverfront by 11-11:30 Thursdays and Fridays before I pick up my daughter from school.

It will be new for me, I was pushing it around todya it didn't seem to turn as well as I'd like but I'm probly going to he starting next week with a regular daily park visit. As of now I usually just go walk with the kids and hubby in the afternoon but he doesn't want to run with me lol but if u see me ill be pshing a double jogging stroller . Bluish color . With my kids

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

Oh, this is turning out great! Let's get this going guys/ladies ~ but let's keep it on here until we come up with a game plan ~ I really want to see this happen and am game for all the suggestions offered.

So, let's set a one time meet -- what days/nights, times work for those interested and let's coordinate for a meet up/run/walk/jog/fUN ~ :)

If I read it right, so far, we have weeknights and Sat/Sun available ~ what do you say to a one-time Sunday morning meet up at the park behind the American Legion --- Doctor's Park I think it's called. From above I think it's 1.5 miles one time around - there's a space with tables with a roof where we can wait for each other between the basketball courts and the playground ~ 10AM Sunday 6/9 ~ sound good?

Let's make this happen! :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jun '13

Challah: field of dreams is off of 46 west on cemetery road. It is technically great meadows.

Is that before or after the library? To the left or the right?

Challah Challah
Jun '13

im a big walker.......... but only just yesterday added some running to my mix.......... but i am slow and dont last long yet................. would love to join you guys but NOT ready for the real straight running for a mile..... heck for a 1/4 mile either.............. so keeping an eye on thread just in case I get the oomph to join you guys.............

dismom dismom
Jun '13

Challah - If you're leaving Hackettstown headed west on 46 it's well past the library. The Cemetery Road turn off is just past Central School on the left when Alphano Road is on the right. Then it will be near the fire house but on the other side of the road.

I am up for s Sunday morning meet up, , but weekday mornings and weekends are best for me .

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

I'm headed to river front park thismorning to give my jogging stroller a try.

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

Challah, the Field of Dreams can also be accessed via the Great Meadows Middle School parking lot, except on school days between 8am-3pm. If you go to RDJ Schell and take a left (Hope bank is there too) there is a 1-3/4 paved loop (there is a color coded sign showing the fields[hope its still there]).... I am game for Sunday AM at Riverside too. I have a soon to be 12 yr old who needs to get out there too...

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

jmo517 -- bring your child (I have a couple as well :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jun '13

Sunday 10 a.m. sounds good. I am leaving dd at home or I will b running onto the fields keeping her out of the games! Lol

Sunday 10 am is good for me . Ill be bringing both of my little ones .

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

OK so Sunday at Riverside 10am? My 12 year old says he is in for a mile. Maybe will get his older brother(s) to come too after we run in the early am.

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Sounds like 10 am on Sunday at Riverside it is ~ see you guys by the tables by the playground :)

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Jun '13

Where do you all go for your running equipment? I'm in need of a new pair of shoes.

btownguy btownguy
Jun '13

I got a great pair of Nike running sneakers at famous foot wear in mt. olive up in the trade center . They have a very large selection of many different brands asics, Nike, addiddas, new balance whatever u prefer I prefer Nike

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

I like Sports Authority in Ledgewood, mostly because they have coupons on the Sunday paper.

I have two favorite brands: Nike and asics.

There are way too many choices and styles for running sneakers that I get dizzy. But I immediately rule out the ones that are way out of budget!

And I totally avoid the scams like the sneakers that claim to "get you fit." Nothing gets you fit except you!

@proud mom: How old are your little ones? I have a 3-year-old!

My boy will be 4 next month my girl is almost 16months

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

Btownguy - Runners Haven in Randolph http://www.runnershavennj.com/#1

Unfortunately something came up and I won't be able to make tomorrow at 10 hope everyone has a good time and maybe we can do another meet soon

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

I second Runners Haven. We took our son there for his cross country sneakers, on the recommendation of one of hubby's co-workers, and we couldn't be happier. They provide wonderful customer service and my son feels a huge difference when he runs. We had previously taken him to Sports Authority for sneakers, and though he liked them apparently they weren't the best for his feet. The ones we got at Runners Haven cost about the same and support his feet in all the right places, and that is key. If your feet are supported properly not only do your feet feel better you perform much better :)

The workers at Runners Haven are all runners themselves...

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Jun '13

I know about RH and bought my last pair there. I was just wondering if we had anything local to the H-town area.

btownguy btownguy
Jun '13

kohls has a good selection.............

dismom dismom
Jun '13

I may be late this morning if anyone is still going.

I unfortunately did not make it (10:37). For some reason I have succumbed to stomach pains that I thought would have subsided.

I am still really interested in doing this. Maybe next time we can PM our cells to directly say if we can't attend :-(

I did not make it either today was hectic. Hope your feeling better and hope I don't get that. Lol but I'm definately up for a meet up I wish I could have made it today . Did anyone make it today ?

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

FYI ~ Salt in Byram has a running club, Salt Shakers. You can find them on facebook

nutty nutty
Jun '13

Yes, the H R/W C (4 of us) met up for a 3 mile jaunt on Sunday at 10. My 12 yr old made a respectable .83/mile. Hopefully we can use this forum to get some momentum going into the summer. If anyone's kids are running XC this fall at the high school this would be a good place to check in for group runs..

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Jmo- It was fun. 2 loops around went by quickly. Hopeful to get more out there.

Grumpy67 Grumpy67
Jun '13

Grumpy67, Lets hope so, nothing better than a good workout and taking advantage of the long summer days. Here is a link for races by some great folks I hope everyone will check out... http://www.njtrailseries.com/. Cross country tomorrow night at the former Greystone park in Morris Plains. Walkers, runners, and super kid friendly. We all hang out afterwards and share war stories. C'mon Hackettstown get your run on!!

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Super night at Greystone(now called Central Park off of Hanover Ave in Morris Plains). A bit warm but lots of smiles and good conversation afterwards. There were a good number of walkers, joggers and kids. I think the walkers were coming in in the 36-40 minute range on the 5k course. Very reasonable entry $10 for adults and kids/high schoolers are less. Most Wednesday nights (at 6:45pm) throughout the summer(there are a couple of vacation breaks).

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I figure runners would know best. I want to get a heart rate monitor. Ideally, it would be rugged, waterproof, and also double as a watch. I tend to do more trail type stuff. I don't run but do like to bike ride. The only one that I have seen is the Timex Ironman but they don't have good reviews for durability on amazon.com. Any recommendations?

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Jun '13

Garmin, I like mine because of Garmin Connect which puts all of your workouts together(calender, connects to friends, shows their workouts too). I just got a new one after my old one tanked after 5 years. There is Suunto as well which is likely worth a look, but I never had one. Martys in town would likely be able to help you with the choice, and likely have feedback from cyclists who use one.

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Thanks jmo. I recommended Marty's in another thread and didn't even think to go them for this.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Jun '13

Hackettstown was represented in the Presidents Cup night race in Millburn last evening. I ran into a familiar face from Htown(if you are on this forum please let me know) but figure anonymity is best for now. It was the 30th anniversary of my first ever road race (Presidents Cup 1983).... OK now the important part, the Sam Adams Beer trucks were in full swing after the race, which is hopefully motivation for a larger crowd from Htown next year! We will need a minivan or 2 and we can draw straws for designated drivers. Happy Running Hackettstown.

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

If Stone Brewing becomes a sponsor, I might be motivated to show the world my blistering 8 minute (per mile) pace....

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jun '13

Start running trail races bro, notorious for the best brews(you'd be surprised what they find in cans), BTW a 26 minute 5k gets you in before there is even a line for beer. Under 18 minutes gets you behind the tables at the taps before security even knows you don't belong there....But this isn't a beer thread...

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

>>But this isn't a beer thread...<<

Correct-O, bro! No more mention of beer here....except for a reference to certain Clydesdales, whom I apparently share a pace with (thoroughbreds are too temperamental, anyway...)

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jun '13

Looking to run my first 5 k this fall in the zombie mud run. I've walked 5ks before but I have to run the zobie mud run . Is anyone else interested in this or will he attending one ?

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

Proudmom12...The mud runs are alot of fun and the vibe is very positive. Plus the training can be loads of fun too.. Not 100% sure I can attend, but have some good ideas on training. I will look it up though.......On a separate note I noticed a runner tonight at the Greystone cross country meets (that I mention often)... She ran the 5K cross country course with 25 pounds in her military pack,...not 100% sure what she was training for (deployment maybe?) but was very impressed..

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Hi runners, wanted to keep the thread alive and hopefully motivate all as the summer hits full swing. I ran my first "hash" last night and had a great time. A great variation of Cross Country running/walking/trail checking with all kinds of folks young, older, corporate execs...you name it. Worth a look, check out the history of hashing Worldwide and in the great USA..Also I saw a renewed thread on geocaching in HL so check it out. Happy running!

jmo517 jmo517
Jun '13

Geocashing looks pretty interesting . I just heard about that recently

proudmom12 proudmom12
Jun '13

Join the meetup.com Hackettstown's Runners group! We are active and have almost daily group runs scheduled. You can either join on meetup.com's website or download the mobile app.

Linda G. Linda G.
Oct '14

I am overweight but want to start jogging as I definitely can't run yet. Not sure I can ever make a mile. It took me an hour to walk a 5k but I finished. I'm looking for a group that would work with me and not leave me behind. If you're putting a group together that's all inclusive I'd love to join.

Tina Auriemma Tina Auriemma
May '16

Hi Tina! I'm an experienced runner who is coming back from a long list of injuries. I believe I am physically up to run again now but honestly at the moment I'm running about 12 mile minutes. I have a mental block against running I think...or I'm just nervous. I also belong to he Morris County striders and we welcome everyone. We are the only team in NJ that as a long distance running competitive team and we are all very proud of our 80 year old ladies. Our next race is on May 14th in Newport, NJ. Flattest race in three states.

I love meeting new people, in running, walking or just being social..

Keep it in mind and hope to see you soon.

www.morriscountystriders.com

KAREN KREOLL -Women's Captain Morris County Striders Captain

red76nj red76nj
May '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.