Hair stylist for SHORT hair

We've had plenty of threads about hair salons, and I believe we even had a thread for curly hair, but I need to find someone who's excellent with short hair. I had very short hair (think pixie cut), which I'm currently growing out, but only to change up my style. I definitely want to stay with short, but maybe go a little more edgy. I don't want someone who's just 'capable' of cutting short hair, I want someone who's fantastic at it. With long hair most mistakes can be fixed, or at least aren't terribly noticeable. With short hair, if a mistake is made, you really can't go much shorter, and any mistakes are a glaring eye sore that you have to live with until the hair grows back in. With horrible hair that would feel like a lifetime! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '13

I was at a game and there was a woman with a gorgeous short hair cut and she told me she goes to Frank Anthony's in Chester. I personally have not been there but I also work with a girl who goes there and she do a beautiful job on her hair...good luck!

rierie rierie
Apr '13

Lori I am with you 100%. In have short hair as well. A ponytail
Is not an option after a bad cut! Sorry don't have any
Suggestions as I am in same position as you right now
So thank you for the thread!

Townies Townies
Apr '13

Townies

I'm glad you understand! If nothing pans out I'll just go back to what I had as I did like it, and people ask me all the time why I don't have it that way anymore. I just feel like a change ;)

Apr '13

Flowbee.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '13

Meister,

Not on your life! LOL

Apr '13

Re: Hair stylist for SHORT hair

I've got a pair of Wahl clippers if you are interested in the "Britney" look...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

Go see my girl Jenn at Kristina Michele Hair Salon in Hackettstown.

She is great with any length hair and alway loves to cut mine short. :)

jk, Your version of short and mine are a bit off, LOL

But if I do, will you come and hold my hand? Maybe do lunch after and catch up? it's been a WHILE ;)

Apr '13

Hey Lori,

I too have short hair and have a GREAT stylist. She uses the razor, mostly, to cut my hair, but sometimes she uses scissors too. Her name is Michelle Wagner at Lighten Up in Budd Lake, right next to Home Goods. They have decent prices, not cheap, not high, $42 for my cut. I HEAR you when you say whathappens when they make a mistake with short hair... YIKES. You can count on Michelle, I've been going there for 2 years... good luck... Julie

Julie Henry Julie Henry
Apr '13

I have very short hair also. Been going to Courtney at Westside for my short cut. Right now I am growing it a bit longer on top to change it a bit but she uses clippers to cut out around my ears and the back. She was the one who convinced me to spike the top. I just get sick of the same style all the time. Once you go short its harder to do anything else with it. This is why I decided to grow it out a bit. She also was the one who convinced me to go funky at 50 and do the bangs blonde. I loved it but again got sick of it. By the way I love her hair the way it is Lori! I was thinking of doing it that way next with some highlights.

Christine Christine
Apr '13

Lori - I have a 50% off coupon to Frank Anthony's if you want it. Pretty sure it's good through the end of May. PM me if you want it. I have a gift certificate to Depasquales that I need to use up so I know I won't be using this coupon.

Antimony Antimony
Apr '13

OK, so I know I'm going to upset the horse cart as a guy. But when I see $42 is not high, I can't compare to the $13 a cut I pay as Supercuts.

I had a lady I thought was great 15 years ago in a different town. She originally was at a small place that charged $11 then after being successful at the same owner's $24 a pop place went to a mall place that charged $16. Exact same person doing the exact same job with a 130% difference in the cost. She got the same $, I got the same thing, but places within 100 yards of each other owned by the same people got over double the profit one time, and different people made 50% more. But still half the cost of what's "high"? Maybe someone else's definition, but not mine.

Julie,

I'm glad you love your stylist. That is SO important! I know I'm asking a lot by wanting awesome hair AND a decent price, but for a $42 cut, plus tip, I'm leaving $50 lighter, and I'd be doing the same every four weeks :(

Like Christine I went to Westside. I used Stephanie and was very happy. In the beginning I could swing the cost even though it was higher than I'd have liked, but she worked her way up, and once I started paying $50 it was time to call it quits.

This is such a tough decision for me. As much as I want 'change' it looks like I can't afford 'change'. The woman who cuts my hair in the original style has a salon right in my town (Blairstown), and I only pay $20, tip included. Hard to beat that!

I thank you all for your suggestions :)

Apr '13

I'm paying $32.00, not including a tip. Lori, like you, my hair is short so I go every 5 weeks, it does become an expense. As much as I would like to get rid of the gray or do some coloring, that is just not in the budget for me. $20.00 in Blairstown sounds wonderful.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '13

Yes I would love to go with you.
Lunch would be great.
Let me know if you set something up with her.

Cheryl in Entourage is great with short hair best short hair cut I ever had....This is by walmart in the ITC

Caroline

caroline caroline
Apr '13

I got my hair cut. And I love it!

I was feeling brave this morning and wandered into Salon Cheveux in Blairstown. I showed the stylist what I wanted and held my breath. She delivered! At a price that allows me to maintain the style too :)

Apr '13

anyone have an angled haircut and who would you recommend?

sunny sunny
Jul '14

This thread hasn't had any posts in a while and I'm looking for a new salon to transform my hair before my kid's wedding. I have somewhat short hair (slightly above chin-length) and I need someone great with short hair who is also great with color.

I probably need a double process color: dye it dark brown and then caramel highlights. I am not looking to spend top dollar but I've already gone the budget route on haircuts and have colored at home before so I need to step up my game.

Thoughts? I've heard good things about Lighten Up and Hope Haircutters (Hope looks more affordable), but I'd like more recommendations. Thanks.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Aug '16

Dee at Hope Haircutters is excellent. Mad my hair done before a wedding and it looked lovely.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Aug '16

That should have said 'had' instead of 'mad' ..

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Aug '16

Kiim at McKenna's on Main Street! She is back from South Carolina, opened up a new shop and will work magic with any type of hair! Love her and soooo happy she has returned!

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '16

Stacey at Hair Designs by Kim in Hackettstown is awesome. She is by far the best when it comes to short haircuts. They charge $40.00 for haircut. 9098-979-9600.

Michelle at Lighten Up or Luis at Arrangements in Ledgewood

Htown mama Htown mama
Aug '16

I tried so many girls to do my angle cut and I finally found ....
Leslie from cult voltage in belvidere.....she is tgevonly one to get it right.......she is amazing.

Josepcan Josepcan
Aug '16

HOF in itc by SAMs club is great! I think they are better than lighten up which has been my go to place for years.

Ashley C is fantastic she's back at lighten up budd lake.

Jessica C Jessica C
Aug '16

McKenna's on Main Street is amazing! Love my cut nd style.

outsider outsider
Aug '16

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up going to Turning Heads after a few friends recommended the salon and Stephanie did my hair. She did an awesome job! I haven't had a cut and color this good in years. I had a double process color and I'm amazed at the transformation and am getting lots of compliments.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Sep '16

So, so, ️Happy Kim McKenna is back. No one has been able to cut and color my hair like her.....welcome back Kim. Love your new place on Main. So welcoming and relaxing.

JJill
Sep '16

Grace at Turning Heads Salon over by IHOP! Best stylist hands down. You won't be disappointed!!!! Schedule an appointment today....she has been cutting/styling my hair for the past 6 years and I've had many cuts....short, long, in between. She listens and will tell you what's best for you. Her goal is to make you feel your best about yourself and she's not satisfied until you are.

I must say, I started going to Krista at Super Cuts about a year ago....she is amazing, and my hair was destroyed from radiation treatments and chemo meds....she layers my hair to make it look like I have more then I actually do ! I am very happy with her,,,,and happy with the price....$17 for a cut.....A friend at work recommended Super Cuts to me, she goes for coloring and styling and her stylist does a beautiful job.....very happy....

bowie bowie
Sep '16

Just had my hair cut Saturday at McKennas salon on main st i love my hair cut just washed it for the first time this morning and it fell right in place. The owner was friendly and the salon itself is adorable. I highly recommend this place.

Jenny Jenny
Sep '16

Not all Stylists are great. From experience because the salon is well known means nothing. Sometimes finding who you click with and does a good job is a hard task. Recommendations from someone is great. And hope you find a great stylist without paying city prices lol

Old timer33 Old timer33
Sep '16

Yesterday KIM from McKenna's on Main Street cut my hair.

She was friendly when I walked in and the cut was great. I recommend her and I am fussy about who I let cut my hair.

I think her price was normal. $25.00.

Bernie Bernie
Sep '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.