What Main St Needs

Curious about what type of business you guys think Main St needs. Have a friend who is interested in opportunities. Thanks!

Entrepreneur Entrepreneur
Apr '13

Have you reviewed the previous posts on the same subject? As well as the study that was done in 2008?

Where can I find the 2008 study?

I always thought having an independent movie theatre would be neat. A place where smaller films could be shown, maybe serve beer/wine and small upscale food items. Does the college have anything like this?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Apr '13

A "going out of business" sign warehouse?

Some Guy (Art) Some Guy (Art)
Apr '13

Lol. Good one!

Philliesman Philliesman
Apr '13

And here we go!

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Apr '13

That's a great idea D-Man

I also like the idea of a coffee shop as was the topic of another recent thread.

JessMphone JessMphone
Apr '13

Have the friend call the BID office and talk to Jim Sheldon - there is the JGSC study from 2007 but there was a more recent one done indicating several gaps. And he knows most of the property owners to find a good location for your friend. If you want to take a look at the old study go here, but it's 5 years old....
http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2007/12/jgsc-report

Hackettstown Business Improvement District • 207 Main Street • Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Director Jim Sheldon • Phone: (908) 850-5004 • Email: director@hackettstownbid.com

So have him call/email Jim to set up a phone call or meeting, her really does have the latest and greatest insight.

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '13

I always thought that this town needs a high school/Centenary merchandise store. One where parents can come and buy shirts, sweatshirts, hats, bumper stickers, etc. I've never seen a town that has a college in it that didn't have some sort of college store.

It would be good to have a store that sells Hackettstown pride items as well Centenary items.

darwin darwin
Apr '13

I was thinking a place where I can sell my gold.... ;)

jiro03 jiro03
Apr '13

Coffee shop, which hopefully will come to fruition, based on another thread.

Art gallery, though there was one off of Main that didn't last.

Have the M&M store return full-time. It definitely bought business to town.

Incentives for some existing businesses to spruce up their signage and make them less dated, tattered, etc.

D-man , The Strand is missed by many old townies.

carl reed carl reed
Apr '13

Fresh seafood or a good butcher.

Vanessa Vanessa
Apr '13

Vanessa- my thoughts exactly!!

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '13

Gadfly: I was just about to post those exact words! I'm with you, Vanessa.

I agree Vanessa.

We should start a thread of things we don't need!

Cash for Gold...
Consignment stores...

Yum Pretzels Yum Pretzels
Apr '13

A yoga studio. "Hackettstown Yoga" - that offers yoga, massage, etc . . .

mefoley4literacy mefoley4literacy
Apr '13

ess - the BID offers the VIP Grant program - many use it, many don't, but it's there! We try our best to get the word out, but if you know a property owner / business that wants to take advantage of it, please spread the word!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2011/4/2013-visual-improvement-program

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '13

I don't know of any property owners per se, but there are businesses that do need a façade facelift so to speak.

It needs more stores with signs in English so I know what they are: )

Tombo
Apr '13

Wine and Cheese Shop, a frozen yogurt place like Yogurtland, a gourmet specialty food shop, a fish monger, butcher, a candy store, an upscale clothing boutique, a childrens clothing boutique (like Denim and Daisies in Denville)

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Apr '13

More people who are willing to shell out money... not everything is free folks...

iJay3 iJay3
Apr '13

Darwin, there's one of those in the lower level of Centenary.

Someone
Apr '13

I second Everything JrzyGirl88 mentioned. And, I agree with Tombo and Yum Pretzels. I think the Cash for Gold and Consignment/Used Items Shops will eventually be putting themselves(each other) out of business because there are way way too many of both. I would also love to see a nice ladies boutique much like the one that used to be on Stiger St. (first on Main St.) where Rita's is now located. I'm referring to Isoscoles. I would love a Trader Joe's, but I know that will not be happening any time soon or probably never. I'll have to keep traveling to Westfield or Livingston for TJ's. I know nothing, but I actually believe they would find a market in this area. I don't mean brick and mortar market; I mean shoppers.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Apr '13

Trader Joe's is coming to Randolph. Sorry, not on topic, but had to let Mrs Pipes know. Not sure when it will open though. On Rt. 10 near Millbrook Rd.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Apr '13

How about signs so english speaks can understand,.

fitter
Apr '13

What Main St needs is to get rid of ALL on street parking, and will continue to languish unless this is done.

MrCharlie2
Apr '13

Ask your friend if he or she wants to come up the road a little bit and open a GOOD Chinese resturant/take-out in the Panther Valley Mall.

fortune cookie fortune cookie
Apr '13

Thank you Ms Fishy for letting me know that TJ's will be opening a location in Randolph. I used to live in Randolph years ago.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Apr '13

Ms Fishy were did you find out that trader joes is openning in randolph....... nothing on their website about it............... i always end up at the Florham park one or the Paramus store......

mrsgrey mrsgrey
Apr '13

A really good Italian deli like Sergio's in Denville.

Wiggs Wiggs
Apr '13

I was hoping when they redid the sidewalks that they would switch from parallel parking to angled parking. It would make it easier for people to find a parking spot.

grapes grapes
Apr '13

Would love to see a store like Hayeks in Newton.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Apr '13

Bowling Alley.

Off topic, but D-ManPV that place is looking awesome!

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '13

Urban renewal.

pampur pampur
Apr '13

Ditto on a bowling alley

copygirl copygirl
Apr '13

Consider that the businesses that stick around do so only because there is a clientele that keeps them here. Obviously, with the economy the way it has been, the Cash for Gold stores serve a purpose. Making fun of them or seeing them want to disappear, without offering an alternative, is kinda naive. Unfortunately there's a need, so perhaps it would be better to put our energies toward eliminating the need for those shops rather than just picking on them? What a fun thread that would be!

The bottom line is that if anyone has an idea for a business that will bring in repeat customers, like the ones we have, then just do it! Waiting around for someone else to do it certainly won't make it happen!

justintime justintime
Apr '13

There definitely is a parking situation for sure. I have been living in the area for 3 years, and there were so many times I wanted to just stop to browse "down mainstreet"... the traffic is always conjested & there isn't time to see what shops are there. I think there should be a "no parking - within the main store area". Also, we definitely need a beauty supply store, a food specialty store (maybe an Italian Deli)? The yogart shop is another great idea... If you want to bring people "back to Main Street"... open it up! Give people a place to park so they can easily walk the Avenue... Right now it's just a conjested mess ~ people driving through don't have the ability to really stop when they see a store they may want to visit..

Rosie Rosie
Apr '13

Main Street is in need of some fun, entertaining, and cost effective outlet for both families & our beloved college students. There is NOTHING for college students to do besides hang out at the bars, and that usually ends badly. Maybe some type of arcade, with wi-fi nook & a smoothie,healthy snack shop or yogurt type operation within. Kind of place a family could go to with the kids & after 8pm turn into a place
for the college students with movies playing on big screen tv's & the like. Just a thought. The old tile store with all that parking would be a great spot. Sports store with teamwear for the local schools logo's and again some seating for game watching without the liquor factor...??

GMmom GMmom
Apr '13

Oh GMmom, I am with you...but not just for college students...for all students...their is absolutley NOTHING for these kids in this town. Have a place that has like you said arcade games, wi-fi, serves frozen yogurt, ice cream, some coffee drinks how bout like an old candy shop in there...with perhaps small juke boxes at each table like at Jonny Rockets...something!!! I have always wanted to open something like this up in this town, but just do not have the finances to do so...

htownlifer htownlifer
Apr '13

Arcade games? You guys are showing your age (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

What college kid hangs anywhere that isn't free unless it's to buy brewski's or music?

Apr '13

Thank you all for the great ideas! It's nice to see that people still want Main Street to succeed. Some good comments on here, both positive and negative. Of course, we can't ignore all the problems, but it's refreshing to know that people see Hackettstown as a place with potential.

Entrepreneur Entrepreneur
Apr '13

Arcades are still popular...we just call it Dave & Buster's now.

Dave & Buster-Lite would be great downtown. Include free wifi and I bet you would have a great local hang out for kids to gather. It doesn't matter what the economy is...kids always find ways to spend video game money.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

More liquor licenses and trendy bars/restaurants is what downtown needs. Make it like a mini version of Montclair.

sandman
Apr '13

How about an Asian massage parlor? Or a check cashing business? Maybe another bodega that sells phone cards? Anything that's a good drug front.

Haha jk, I love the idea of a Sergio's type of Deli.

Mike18 Mike18
Apr '13

emaxxman, does D&B have a lot in the way of coin-op video games and pinball machines? I don't know why, but I was under the impression that it was more of a Skee Ball and basketball free throw game- type place. Not that it matters much; it's not like I'm gonna drive to Philly and that's the closest one to me.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

How about the new slalom course they're setting up on Main St.? Should be a hoot and there free, except to the taxpayers to keep the striped pipes up and in pristine condition. That's a tall order with all the wide trucks and poor depth perception some parkers have.

Any bets on how long before they get tired of replacing them?

One-Eyed Poacher One-Eyed Poacher
Apr '13

Im with sandman, more bars. I always thought one in the building next to the train station would be perfect (think murphys in dover). Tons of PA folks come to hackettstown for the train and would be easy business

dabozzzz dabozzzz
Apr '13

Ian...D&B has tons of video games. It also has a bar, pool tables, and the traditional skeeball and hoops stuff as you mentioned.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

The state has limits on how many liquor licenses a town can have based on population.

We have 4 and will always have that many unless the state law changes. Unless I'm missing one, I thought we had 5.

Applebee's (big corp had the money to cause a bidding war for the Jiggers)
Marley's
Bea McNally's
Leo's (last I heard it was a full license, cannot fathom why it isn't used that way or sold)

There are two ways I can think of to to get around it. Brew Pub (but can only sell what they brew) and Social Club (Moose, Legion, etc).

D&B is a fantastic place, but we really don't have the population to merit it, maybe Parsippany does, but you would think they'd already have one.

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '13

ianimal, D&B's is also a full service restaurant. The games aren't "coin-operated" per se, as I think the only option is to pre-pay on a card and go from there.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '13

Hookah Lounge :)

JessMphone JessMphone
Apr '13

Take the Ford Dealership and turn it into a HUGE nightclub. Could have two or three rooms/dancefloors/stages in the showroom and garage, plenty of parking, and seems to be pretty well buffered from residential. Contiguous businesses are day time so they shouldn't be too put out.

mistergoolge mistergoolge
Apr '13

Entrepreneur,

Do these suggestions help?

Apr '13

Trekster3 - The 5th is David's. Leo's may not have been used previously, but is in use now. But very judiciously so as not to be a nuisance to the town. We need more businesses like that.

Mister Google....By Jove!! I think you have it! What a great idea and perfect location... but in all reality cannot see that every happening..but thanks for the suggestion.

joyful joyful
Apr '13

Joyful,

I agree and wish I had that kind of investment money and a few more years....

Apr '13

How about a burger restaurant with something different than on mountain ave. Maybe cheeseburger cheeseburger like that which is opening in Easton in their downtown area. I believe students from the college as well as families would like a choice beyond McDonalds, Burger King etc. They are all the same imo. Maybe a Fuddruckers type with a choice of meal and a help yourself toppings bar with fixings for your sandwiches.

Mistergoogle, a nightclub without a liquor license? I guess you could give the old "under 21" scene a shot.

LM1, there's a Fuddruckers right in Ledgewood, but maybe a 5 Guys would work. They have urban walk-up type restaurants in DC; no reason why the same model couldn't work in Htown.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

5 Guys outside of Stroudsburg --- bad parking but tastey.

No, you would need a liquor license, but the thread was "what main street needs," not "and fill out the permits, plans, dot the i's, etc." But thanks, I will take it under advisement and file accordingly :>)

Apr '13

Get rid of Wal-mart and main st. would be a booming business.
No more bars.
Showing my age---bring back Newberry's with the soda fountain. You could get just about everything you needed and then have a big hot fudge sunday with whip cream and a cherry on top. Those were the days.
The roller rink was great on Main st. and the bowling alley. True there is not much for the kids to do in town (if you could get them to put down their iphones for awhile) :)
A lot of great ideas above.

4paws 4paws
Apr '13

Sport supplies and pool supplies. The big stores have generic stuff, poor quality, inexpensive and a small supply and few choices. Unlike a Modells I don't think we need the huge supply and choices of shirts, shorts and the like, just shoes (cleats), gloves, equipment (bats, gloves, pads) for soccer, baseball and football, for kids and adults. I know other sports (lacrosse, hockey) are growing in popularity but perhaps not so much here. Pool supplies, chemicals can be found in Walmart (until July when they run out) but nobody has parts for filters, covers, ladders, and/or cleaning equipment. After a decade in the area, these things (other than an adult night spot) are what I find myself traveling far to find. Good luck.

roywhite roywhite
Apr '13

I have an idea we should go to the marketing & business students at the college to come up with a plan to implement a revival of Main Street. I think that would be awesome, and maybe we can see if between the college & the BID in town we can find some funding to make it work after they present their ideas in an open forum to the town & the residents. Just thinking, even open it up to the High School kids for a project as well. We need to get the kids, and young adults involved in the town in a good way and I think this may work. Let’s take Main Street back to the good days when you shopped & enjoyed the "Avenue" without vacant store fronts & people hanging on corners. We need to change the face of Main Street to a grand place that will put us back on the map of places to go in NJ. LET'S DO IT!

GM mom GM mom
Apr '13

We were on the map?

Apr '13

What a great idea GM mom!

Kate23 Kate23
Apr '13

GM, some of what you mention is already in the works - and THANKS for the positive attitude and the support! Jim is working on some innovative projects to revive our town, so look for some new things. Our budget does not allow us to make a big Splash, but look for it in phases. And YES, we've looked for funding.

Also, the BID meetings are open to the public and our schedule is posted on our website - has been for years. Very rarely do we get someone new to come out for either to the BID Board Meetings and Event Meetings (except Darwin, or course).

We have 2 interns from the college that are calling just the kinds of businesses you all mention and Jim is making visits to some to promote Hackettstown to them and encourage them to open a new location. There is also a program at the college that has a group of businesses students help businesses with new marketing ideas and ways to improve their product and/or service.

BUT with that said, there are stores time and time again - open, get busy for a couple of weeks and then mysteriously they disappear. Part of the problem is that new stores rarely have room in their budget for advertising to remind people that they're there.

The hard part is changing everyone's psyche. Get people into the idea that when they need a new outfit to stop and re-style and get something really different that you're not going to find at every store. Or to go to Petals n Pine or Country Collectibles to get a unique gift or commission them to do something unique for your home decor. If you need lumber go to Blue Ridge, If you need plants or basic hardware go to Hometown. It's not just a change of image it's a change of attitude.

So GM (or anyone else) please come to a Board Meeting or Event Meeting and be a part of the process.

The next Board Meeting is Thursday May 2nd - 5:30 pm at the BID Office and you'll meet the hard-working volunteer property owners and business owner's that are working to achieve that very same goal.

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '13

mistergoogle...we are on lots of maps! ;) Do you know my friends Rand & McNally?

The town has alot to offer we just need to pull together and make it work! Maybe having a support Main Street rally of sorts or free parking 10 to 2 everyday so the
food shops get a chance to have lunch business without patrons needing to dig for
quarters??

GMmom GMmom
Apr '13

No snarky slur intended GMmom, I am actually a supporter of Htown and Main Street. It's just that we really don't have "history" as a major resource like Blairstown and the Blair family for example. We do have many "collectibiles" like M&M, Centenary and more.

My take-away from all this, with my personal bagage attached, is to work towards:
- removing wires over time
- improve parking, parking signage, and parking walkways --- this is a big one
- events, events, events touting agrotourism, holidays, scheduled events like farmer's market
- stores, stores, stores ---- especially the return of the M&Ms store placing us on the map as the hometown for M&Ms
- less loitering, catcalls, and daywalkers
- less congestion (goes with improved parking)
- less gold shops, pawn shops, etc. You know, those less attractive outlets
- free parking days (for the suburbs)

To me, what is accomplishable by the town is to improve parking and establish events.

Unfortunately, to me, improved parking means more spacious slots which means less parking but more enticing and available. A double-edged sword to be met with much contempt no doubt.

Events too are problematic is that they take a lot ot thought and planning. The Farmer's Market is a great idea --- recurring, non-competitive, seasonal, but others like the sidewalk sale seem a bit bogus and contrived (just put the stuff in the store on the street). Once-a-year time events like the parades are great but take time to be established so returns might not be instantaneous.

Perhaps working with M&Ms, Centenary to see if they might have events in mind might dovetail events with some of our major resources. M&M days could attract chocolate lovers from afar. Any gems that sound like the Farmer's Market would also be a prime candidate in my book although none come to mind. Would also love to see M&M factory tours; that would put us on the map.

Lastly, and minor, but I think it would be nice to get rid of the High Street signs and let the M&M Chocolate Avenue signs rule. That will give both Rand and McNally something to think about.

Apr '13

The KIDS really need a SODA JOINT l .. Bring back STEWARTS ROOT BEER and how about a GOOD JEWISH /POLISH/ITALIAN Bakery that you find in the Cities! Or Become like CHESTER or Peddlers Village with all the FLEA market type atmosphere. We already have the congestion- it might as well be for SOMETHING!

sha44ss sha44ss
Apr '13

a smashburger could do well around here, and maybe a cicis pizza. but what hackettstown really needs is some sort of public m&m presence. hackettstown is in the middle of nowhere, but so is hershey, pa. hershey is able to bring many people in, and probably still would without hershey park. an idea could be an m&m museum, like hershey has

hluser
Apr '13

It would be nice if M&Ms put us on the map with a great Main Street factory store and some factory tours. That would bring people to town fer sure.

One would think that would turn a profit for a fairly low investment. And the fringe benefits of good will, brand awareness, M&Made in USA would pay off as well.

Apr '13

MisterG - This is as close as you are going to get to a factory tour in Hackettstown - http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2013/01/17/n-how-mars-makes-mms.fortune/.

The plant in Hackettstown is not conducive for factory tours. It's too small and would require extensive work to enlarge it and renovate it to accomodate tours. It's not a small investment but if you're willing to finance it drop off your check at the front door. Once it clears they'll get back to you.

I would like to see a complete refresh of main street. As of now it's just very difficult identifying wha'ts there, between all of the signs in Spanish, as someone else pointed out, and closed store fronts no way really to see any value there. There really are just a handful of worthwhile businesses there. Stella G's for one, but I'd like to see other nice eateries like that. It would be nice if we had a cigar shop, that also had a lounge, I realize that's not everyone's cup of tea, but there is absolutely nothing like that in this area, and I feel it would do very well and pull in business from surrounding areas and make people "want to come here". As of now sadly it's just ugly, like they say you reap what you sow.

Just sayin' Just sayin'
Apr '13

Cici's Pizza is the most God awful trash that was ever cooked and served and disguised as food. It truly is not even worth the $5 they charge.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '13

Where is CiCi's Pizza Tracy?

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

Firefly, there's one at Northampton Crossings in Nazareth/Easton. I've never been, but all you can eat for $5? I wouldn't expect a lot, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

Firefly, we actually went to one while we were in Texas because we were tired and hungry and it was close to the hotel. Huge mistake.

I didn't realize there was one up this far north.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '13

There is a CiCi's in East Stroudsburg across from Walmart next to KMart and the Japanese restaurant (Ichiban). Been there twice only because it was a family function and do not want to return. It's a Domino's or Pizza Hut type thing. I will pass as well. If you like that kind of pizza, sure it's a great deal. But not for me.

I must have missed something..Did someone mention a CiCi's for Main St. God Forbid!

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

Firefly, see hluser's post from a day ago.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '13

"The KIDS really need a SODA JOINT"

What year is this?

darwin darwin
Apr '13

Just saw the documentary 'Tapped' in honor of Earth Day. How about a drinking water fountain near the gazebo so that people don't have to carry water bottles around?

hktownie hktownie
Apr '13

Yuck, that's very "germy".

botheredbyu botheredbyu
Apr '13

FYI, took a drive down main street there are a total of 5 stores with one sign in Spanish - and that includes the vacuum store's no loitering sign (Top large print English, bottom small print Spanish). So, if 5 is 'all the signs in Spanish' that doesn't seem like much and if that's keeping you from going to Demi's or Jack's or Re-Style or Petals n Pine then I really don't know what to tell you....

trekster3 trekster3
Apr '13

I wouldn't think a public water fountain would be any more germy than every door handle that you have to touch to enter an establishment on Main street. Now that's nasty.

auntiel
Apr '13

I'll give and admit it's not as cheap as if the factory was already built with considerations for tourism.

And no, I have given M&Ms enough money already to fund this thank you very much :>)

But what you said is NOT what Corning said about building a factory tour around, of all things, a glass factory with active blast furnances, fire, smolten glass-lava, broken glass shards, and nasty, nasty stuff. Not nice like Chocolate. They started small with only some tours and a few exhibits. Years later, they have one of the world's finest glass art museums which was funded by glass-tourism, a kid-friendly interactive glass museum, numerous factory stores, tours, and are a tourist mecca in central New York. Oh yeah, both Corning and the town have prospered.

They may not have room in the M&M building but it's not like they don't have space.

And if they follow the Corning model, they might start modestly and build out based on success. It's not like we don't have the traffic that you might see in Central New York. And it's not like Chocolate-tourism is not a seller. Heck, they have the street named already, the heavy lifting is done :>)

Just need a little vision and a little capital. The rest has already been modeled for them.

It sure would be a show stopper and sure, I will donate my incredible managerial skills for free for the first year post opening.

Apr '13

A record store!!! That would be great!

JessMphone JessMphone
Apr '13

JessM. We have one already. Sound Effects is in the building across from Hometown Hardware.

I have noticed several times that people have wished for a store that opened and didn't make it or one that is already there and possibly struggling.I have a question for those of you that wish for certain stores How often will you actually shop in them?

Wandering around a cool town and browsing in stores is fun but IMO it's not something the average person does that often. There needs to be a constant and unique foot travel for a little store to make it ( or a hefty bank roll behind it) and it needs to provide a novel item - something you can't pick up just anywhere.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

Bring back Sound effects & JB ...I can here the crouds now.

kevmo kevmo
Apr '13

"But what you said is NOT what Corning said about building a factory tour around, of all things, a glass factory with active blast furnances, fire, smolten glass-lava, broken glass shards, and nasty, nasty stuff. Not nice like Chocolate."
- MG

Obviously MG you have never toured the Mars factory. In addition, the Mars plant manufactures food products. Have you read the Venting thread where the "ladies" of the forum have been discussing the feet of people who live in the area? Would you like that in your M&M's?

"Just need a little vision and a little capital."

Mars has already determined that THEIR vision and capital is better served with other projects that will give them a better rate of return on their investment. But as I stated before if you think otherwise you are welcome to build such a facility and run it yourself, (according to you it only requires a little capital and from all your posts about how you save money I have to believe you have a LOT of capital available). If you think a store with all Mars products would be a success in Hackettstown then open one yourself. Mars would be happy to have you as a vendor and there are plenty of vacant storefronts on Main Street in Hackettstown. America is the land of opportunity.

BLD - Are you now the Mars spokesperson?

Oh man I was so excited to see that I looked them up right away... But alas, after reading their latest, what I feel is somewhat pretentious post on FB, I will continue to dig for my used vinyl elsewhere. Bummer. Can I change my vote back to Hookah lounge? ;-)

JessMphone JessMphone
Apr '13

BLD: geeeez touron, it was just an idea, an opinion, a muse. Unknot the knickers. It's not like anyone anywhere tells the Mars family what and what not to do. Even the Mars family has had issues telling any one Mars what to do.

We are allowed to have ideas though and you gotta admit; it they did it, they would come and come and come and come again. I would give my eye teeth to watch those M's being printed.

But for the record, wise guy:

Amazingly, at Corning, the tourist's feet do not touch the molten glass or glass shards. They are separated from the sensitive part of the factory..........by glass. It's a novel concept used by some of the most trendy of companies.

But you're right, it can't be done. It's impossible. It's impractical. It's.....it's.....it's done all the time.

Hersey had factory tours for years, now they have turned the tour into an actual amusement ride.

Ethel M (I wonder what company they are a part of) has a really nice factory tour: http://www.ethelm.com/about_us/factory_tour.aspx

And no, I have never toured the Mars factory. They don't have tours, remember ;>)

They don't have tours because, like you said, they choose not to. And that's the nugget of truth of the Mars bar. However, the Mars family is a bit whack-a-doodle (in a good an innovative family sort of way) and when they get a bee in their bonnet, you never know what they might do. If you have even been to the McLean headquarters, you would get the idea. I mean, here's a company that renamed itself Masterfoods for awhile. A company that the retired head started Ethel M because he was bored. And E.M makes chocolate in Nevada, isn't that like making ice in hell? When you look at the Mars portfolio, the word "a bit wack-a-doodle still comes to mind: chocolate, pet care, gum, food (unkie bens, pasta sauce and combos), drinks and, oh yeah, symbioscience (Mars releases research on impact of cocoa flavanols on cognition). Kinda fits, kinda doesn't. Oh yeah, they used to own a dollar-bill validation business (it was a market leader too). But again, in a good, innovative wack-a-doodle incredibly successful way.

So, like I said, rest easy, it's just an idea that I, for one, would love to see. And if the tour guys looked like Justin Timberlake in M&M suits singing "head on down to M&M factory tour........" it would be heaven.

Apr '13

What used to be Brisas, formally the jigger shop is currently being renovated to become a middle eastern restaurant with wifi access. They are dumping a lot if money into the place...complete renovation. Looking forward to there opening...wishing them the best of luck. Better than another thrift store or Chinese restaurant..that seem to change hands and the food turns to hell. Has anyone tried the Brazilian restaurant? Awesome food! Expend the seasonal farmers market in Moore street . Oh yeah by the way Brian's Market needs to return to Main Street and be A Butcher! Was great at it and was the only place on main to get great cuts of meat for the grill!how about a neighborhood cook off! For the summer Main Street has residents too! Just a couple of thoughts...

Shaddog Shaddog
Apr '13

A bigger ice cream store, and maybe a wing/burger joint for the winter!

Shaddog Shaddog
Apr '13

Wing/burger joint = Marley's. Awesome wings and the burger is darn good too.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

I hear Sunday night is open mike at Marleys. Has anybody been?

Apr '13

Not to be overly optimistic, but we've gotten some fantastic calls and visits on businesses interested on either opening or expanding in town! Great Things are Happening!

Wendy @ Hkt Bid Wendy @ Hkt Bid
Apr '13

Oh no..... I've been told all sorts of fantastic things (at least I think so) and if one in particular comes to fruition I'm sure we'll hear cheering in the streets and another one will also be cause for celebration.... but for now, I must bite my tongue... and it hurts :) --- the second I can blab, you know I will!!

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

Trekster - you know where I live...feel free to drop by and spill the news. :-)

emaxxman emaxxman
May '13

I strongly feel a fourth quick chek would thrive! Maybe we can 'squeeze' a second target in somewhere, or a water park. LOL

All kidding aside, It would be awesome to re-open the Strand as a live act comedy club. Plenty of nice places to eat in town, a comedy club with drinks after dinner would be a nice touch.

maureen
May '13

I don't remember who asked about grants, but my super boss and those super people at Centenary College worked together to get this one! Church Street between Main and Jefferson will be getting a modified streetscape - at minimum they'll be getting the lightposts. The rest will depend on the design!

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2013/05/warren_county_municipalities_s_1.html#incart_river

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

That's good to hear. Good work.

FYI, It is confirmed that Main Street Ice Cream does have Frozen Yogurt. I'm trying to get details on flavors, etc. so I'll get the info as soon as I can.

May '13

I am wishing for a Trader Joe's but I realize that isn't realistic. Given the economy, a small discount food store might be something to think about. I have been to one out in PA that sells foods that are close to the "sell by date" for a fraction of the cost. Obviously it carries mostly non perishable items. A $1.69 box of Cheez-It's 3 months away from the "sell by" date tastes the same and is much better on the wallet than the $4 box you get at ShopRite.

If you are talking about ALDI its a great place, one is also in Rockaway on rt 46. I go out there often and feel it would be great in the town, but im sure it would never happen.
http://aldi.com/

H-town guy
May '13

H-town guy -I think you are right. Aldi is owned by the same company that owns Trader Joes.

I think i nice YMCA or fitness center with an indoor pool, saunas, jacuzzis would be nice. We don't have anything like that in the radias of about 1 hr. Too far to travel if you just want to work out for one hour and swim. But I guess if it doesnt have anything to do with a bar, it won't happen, lol

idlechatter idlechatter
May '13

Aldi's is not a store with things close to the expiration date. It sells off brands warehouse style with a handful of overstock name brands. They're just over stock, not near expiration. They also sell European style pack your own, bring your own bags.

We already had that same style in the area and failed - Food Basics.

It doesn't matter what you put there because it will go out of business unless it has the right number of customers. Hackettstown just doesn't have enough people who go out and spend money or even like the sorts of things mentioned here. Cafe? You have Greenes, but it closes at 6pm lol You're never going to have a downtown area that's open at night. If it wasn't for the Mexicans it would look like a ghosttown.

Dr Spock Dr Spock
May '13

Whoops, there we go.

May '13

aldi would do great down by 57.

hluser
May '13

Fro-yo place! Fro yo is getting more and more popular. Self serve yogurt bar. Definitely will spice this town up a bit

froyooooo froyooooo
May '13

I think you need more unique places so you are not competing with the chains like Walmart and Target. Think New Hope great eateries cool stores just a great place to spend a day. I think the M&M store is a great start and can definitely draw people in.

Painkiller
May '13

Dr. Spock maybe you should leave town if all the "Mexicans" bother you... because the racists sure as hell bother me...

persona persona
May '13

Psstt..... I've got a news --- Coming Soon to Hackettstown in the M&M Pop-up Location -- Home Brew University - no other info yet! http://www.hackettstownbid.com/shopping/homebrew-university-coming-soon

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

That would be awesome!!!

englishe30 englishe30
May '13

Oh, I love the ol' Mexican generalization. There couldn't possibly be any Colombians, Guatemalans, Ecuadorians, etc in the mix, or could there be?

persona, agreed. The racists bother me much more as well :(

May '13

What is Home Brew University?

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
May '13

If it's what it sounds like, my husband will be very happy.

Tracy Tracy
May '13

I'm not 100% sure, Jazzukatt, but I would be willing to bet that they will give classes on brewing your own beer at home as well as sell the supplies for you to do it.

ianimal ianimal
May '13

Micro brews and home brewing are very popular. Particularly something that does classes and has its own brew club could do well. It's got something to set it apart, it just needs to be affordable.

Okay, the Home Brew University folks stopped into the office!!

ianimal - YES, you are correct!!

There have been some updates to our web page!

A little about Home Brew University - The owners are committed to Hackettstown. They have pledged to use as many home town resources as they can in building their business!

Current Blog for future owners, look for their webpage coming soon!
http://www.finalgravitypodcast.com/

What can we look for at Home Brew University?

Retail: One section of the shop will be devoted to providing the needs of the Home Brew enthusiast, Kits, Grains, Wheats, Hops and all the items to make your own brews!

Lounge: Books to learn the finer points of Home Brewing as well as a TV with How To Video's to help you learn the craft.

Brewing Area: Enjoy a class on how to make your own brew with master instructors and using quality equipment.

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

This is great news. My husband and I will definitely
Visit them. I wish them much success!

Townies Townies
May '13

Nice. Been brewing for a little under a yer. Get most of my stuff at love2brew in North Brunswick, near work. Would be nice to have a local place if I need somehing in a pinch.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
May '13

Unfortunately, I fear this is a losing proposition, which is why so many other small businesses on Main Street have come and gone, over the years. Hackettstown just isn't a charming, financially well-off town like Chester that's going to draw enough people into small shops to keep them making a profit. A lot of money and work go into starting and operating a small business, and that means they need to do good, steady business, in order to make an adequate return on such an investment. Main Street in Hackettstown just doesn't offer that opportunity, any more. Not when you have a Wal-Mart, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, Kohl's, Shop-Rite, etc., nearby, in addition to a bunch of strip malls on Mountain Avenue and Route 57 in Mansfield, as well as numerous eateries in the area.

People are going to shop where it's convenient and where the prices are good, and Main Street simply isn't ideal. The traffic and parking are lousy, and there are too many "seedy-looking" shops and strange individuals on Main Street. (A friend visiting from out of town, recently, saw a bunch of men hanging out near the old Strand Theater and asked me if they were a street gang!)

The only practical business I can imagine is something catering to the high school and college students. But it would have to be something really special. Students, as a general rule, don't have a lot of money to spend. And you'd have to come up with an idea that was very popular, reasonably profitable, yet wouldn't become problematic (like a dive bar). Find that idea, and do it well, and your business MIGHT stand a chance.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
May '13

"Hackettstown just isn't a charming, financially well-off town like Chester that's going to draw enough people into small shops to keep them making a profit."

Completely disagree. How is it possible that I see people walking around town with $100+ sneakers, iphones, kids wearing expensive brands like Abercrombie, and how many nail salons in town thrive if Hackettstown doesn't have the money.

Look at the Prickly Pear and Pandan Room. Those are two thriving restaurants with prices that range are approaching the upper end of prices. Pandan Room even did well enough in a bad economy that they were able to open a second location.

Small businesses need to provide a product that the larger box stores can't compete with. That is either in service (ex: Donaldson's has always been extremely patient and helpful with all of my questions) or a unique and consistently high quality product (ex: Pandan Room, Demi's).

If a business fails in this area, it's because they were mismanaged or didn't provide a product that people wanted. It is/was not because the people of this area don't have any money.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '13

If a business fails in this area, it's because they were mismanaged or didn't provide a product that people wanted. It is/was not because the people of this area don't have any money.

Well said emaxx

This store offers something you can't find anywhere else nearby and therefore has a shot of being very productive for a long time if it has proper management and marketing. Best of luck to it

darwin darwin
May '13

Excuse my grammar in my post. Jeez!

emaxxman emaxxman
May '13

"Completely disagree. How is it possible that I see people walking around town with $100+ sneakers, iphones, kids wearing expensive brands like Abercrombie, and how many nail salons in town thrive if Hackettstown doesn't have the money. "

thanks obama

emaxxman, I didn't mean to imply that Hackettstown was impoverished--far from it. What I meant was that people don't seem willing to drive to Main Street just for some little novelty-type store, which is why so many small businesses have failed, there. (As compared to other towns, where people flock from miles around for the charming shopping experience).

Some businesses seem to have done, and continue to do, quite well, on Main Street, and I think there's room for more. But the competition is fierce, and I just think that somebody needs to come up with a really good idea, and do it very well, in order for them to survive and prosper there, long-term. And I think, if I had money to invest and were looking to open a small business, I'd likely look elsewhere, unless my type of business were specifically tailored to that area.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
May '13

JerseyWolf - I gotcha now. I agree that lots of people don't drive here for many of the stores. When I first moved to Hackettstown in 2000, there was nothing downtown that I was really interested in. Now, to be fair, I judged the stores from the outside and never really gave them a chance. In the past 5 or so years, I see more appealing stores opening up. I've been a customer of Demi's, Marley's, Bea's, and New Image. I think Martey's is a great addition (I bought my bike from their rt. 10 location about 18 years ago .) My cars have always been serviced by Rich Fixit and Camps and they are both great. Pandan Room is easily my favorite restaurant in town.

I know the BID has stuff to help new businesses out. I hope any new business takes advantage of it. I see marketing as the biggest weakness of most stores. People simply don't know about what they have to offer. Look at Alstedes. People from as far as Long Island are aware of them - that's good marketing.

emaxxman emaxxman
May '13

emaxxman, you hit the nail on the head - the BID tries to help small businesses with marketing, but many seem resistant to it. A quick conversation with Dolores or Mary at th SBDC would also help them. We have so many resources that they don't even call to find out.

Right now we're making phone calls to verify their information because the BID directory is getting re-published. Unbelievably so many businesses do not have even a Facebook presence online and many still don't have an email. They also tended to hang up on our intern making the calls since they thought we were telemarketers!! Not even recognizing the Business Improvement District as an entity that is here to help.

Next is site visits! I'll keep you posted how that goes!

But ultimately you all are right - a unique niche product or service (homebrew U) and several different layers of advertising (radio, coupon mailers, newspaper) are really the only way to survive. Even if you look at Chester there are many vacant store fronts because no one ever knows what's there.

Thanks as always for everyones support of our town, now park the care and take a walk about and see what's out there!

trekster3 trekster3
May '13

I am sorry trekster, but if Bid was a marketing genius, we wouldn't have pink sidewalks, maroon street signs, wrong-facing benches, and really quaint antique street lamps where the LED is visible at night ruining the entire effect. I still wouldn't turn down free advice, but consider the source before you adopt the style.

And Pete et al: H-town is not as affluent as Chester, period. We are most certainly a different place. H-town has: 62K median income versus Chester's 162k, less value in housing: 314,371 vs. 559,578, younger --- 37.3 versus 44.4, more diverse ---85% white vs. 93%, less educated 24% college vs. 48%.

Yes, I would say both consumers and retailers in Chester have a different outlook than in Hackettstown. And compared to Chester, we are impoverished ---- at least in terms of wealth.

May '13

FYI - Homebrew U. has their soft opening today - we'll let you know when the Grand Opening is!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/shopping/homebrew-university
160 Main St.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840

Jul '13

Are there any freebies?

pampur pampur
Jul '13

pampur - I haven't heard yet, but either way, I shot the gun! They won't be opening until the end of the week - sorry for the mis-information and as soon as I hear about the Grand Opening Plans, I'll let you all know!

Jul '13

it needs to have more shops open past 4 or 5 o'clock and the BID needs to recognize that too many of them are off on Monday, it's just odd

Erik B. Anderson Erik B. Anderson
Jul '13

Oh this just in!!

Luce Custom Home Decor

289 Main St.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 269-8129
http://www.lucedecor.com

And Erik, you'll be glad to know they're open til 7 on Thursday!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/shopping/luce-custom-home-decor

Jul '13

Wendy - Isn't the saying, "I jumped the gun"?

"it needs to have more shops open past 4 or 5 o'clock and the BID needs to recognize that too many of them are off on Monday, it's just odd"

Erik

The BID has no control over what hours stores on Main Street are open. That's up to the individual store owners.

Main Street needs no parking !!!

MrCharlie
Jul '13

" pink sidewalks, maroon street signs, wrong-facing benches, and really quaint antique street lamps where the LED is visible at night ruining the entire effect."

i agree with this, can't the benches be turned around ? and/or relocated? that seems to be something easy to do.

the street lights, can they have a lens or translucent filter put in them so you don't see the leds? It looks so cheesy at night it is a real turn off. Just cheap looking and ugly, (fugly, really)

the maroon signs are what they are, and it is sad,but at least two out of three things can be addressed pretty easily.

the pink sidewalks are horrible as well, but they are there now, maybe sell some brass medallions that can be inserted as a kind of h-town walk of fame? that would generate some interest and some buzz.

these simple things would make a huge difference in how main street looks and is perceived.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '13

Besides Erik, when are shop owners suppose to have off?

Having your own business does not mean you work 24/7, have unlimited time, expendable cash or have to cater to everyones whim.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

People who can spend money are most likely working during the day. They would not be able to make it to a shop that is only open until 4 or 5 pm. That makes no sense to me either. Although, many people have different work schedules. Not everyone is off on weekends either. I get being closed on a weekday but later hours is a good thing for people who work.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Jul '13

With the way online shopping is now a days stores are quickly going out.

Why not have a online store where the workers assist people in finding hard to find items online and help them get the best prices at a nominal fee?

Darrin Darrin
Jul '13

Why do we constantly focus on the sidewalks and lights? How many people really bought something or stopped buying stuff in town because of the color of the sidewalks, the direction of the benches, or the glare of the lights? If those things affected your decision, then you have real mental problems.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

Eric is right as is youngfresh shops collectively need to stay open one night a week. Thursday always seems to be a good choice but this only works effectively if most or all of the shops stay open late. This is for the benefit of all the shop owners. As far as working 24/7 that is one of the draw backs of being self employed. You either work a longer day or hire someone to cover those hours. I don't think asking a store to be open so I can spend my hard earned money in it is catering to my whim.

The BID may have already posed this thought to the shop owners and they cannot force anyone to stay open later but suggesting and encouraging them to do so certainly seems like something they should do.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '13

Because emaxx......

first, all things being equal, I will shop in more pleasant versus less pleasant surroundings.

second, when the town spends your hard-earned tax dollars, don't you want the biggest bang for your buck?

Do you want to waste your money on useless Maroon signs that did not deliver the intended effect? Do you want to waste your money on a sidewalk with a color incongruous with the style of the town. Do you want to spend your money on really, nice, quaint streetlights with visible LEDs to diminish the positive effect which is really very nice? Do you want to buy really nice benches with backs and then face them so they just don't work? Often good taste and style do not cost extra. In this case, bad taste, style and to quote BDog "cheesy" were free. We did not pay extra to look cheesy, it was a choice.

But we could of chosen, like Jack's did, a backless bench that lets you "swing both ways." Would have probably cost less. Or, BDogs idea to shield the LEDs to put the retro back in the retro-look lamps. Probably would have cost nothing if we did it at time of purchase. Or have thought to pick a sidewalk color consistent with the town look n feel. Again probably no cost at time of purchase.

The most important part is to realize, own, and perhaps remedy the mistakes, but most importantly ----- learn from them and don't repeat them again.

BDog ---- in one town I lived in they put a named-brick brick wall in, another uses memorial plaques on trees n such donated by folks in memorial (often with the tree). Many times we have returned, parked, perused, and purchased just to see, and sometimes polish, our contribution plaque.

PS --- personally the sidewalk color grossness has diminished over time for me at least.

Jul '13

Thanks everyone for your input and support - We're actually working on at least one month a night to have a Shoppers Night Out:

So, if you could have a particular night where you would be most likely to shop - What day would it be? We're thinking here either Thursday, Friday or Saturday Night....

Thanks!

Jul '13

I have all day Saturday to go to stores, I think that defeats the purpose of giving extra hours to people that work during the week. I personally would prefer Friday as a more traditional night out kind of day.

At the old Ford place, it would be great to turn that into a really upscale fitness center with an indoor pool. Great exercise and could be used all year round. But never see that happening in Hackettstown. Should have a nice spa, and a java shop inside.

idlechatter idlechatter
Jul '13

I agree, Friday would be good.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Jul '13

"memorial plaques on trees n such donated by folks in memorial"

my father did this to remember our mother at the college they met at, tree is outside the dorms and mess hall, and the plaque has her name and everything. it's kinda of a cool thing to do i think.

moving those darn benches is something that should not cost a lot of money. they are facing the wrong way,

i was just thinking of repurposing some gallon milk jugs to use to manufacture some translucent baffles for those LED lights, how hard can that be?

emaxx - i still shop downtown, the ugly lights and backwards benches won't keep me away. bought some algicide at the hometown hardware last night, stopping by again tonight for some more chlorine.

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '13

BrotherDog, agree with everything you said, except memorial plaques on trees. Normally a nice idea, but kind of pointless in this town when the family is likely to see the tree cut down before the plaque can even get a little rusty.

Denis Denis
Jul '13

What way are the benches facing?

Spring Fever
Jul '13

the benches are facing the stores and not the street. Which makes sense to me on everyday except for parade days. I would rather look at the sidewalk, stores and see people as they walk by then stare right into a parked car. There are some benches that have no backs and if you face the street you are looking right at parked car most of the time. People find silly things to complain about.

Darwin Darwin
Jul '13

Thank you Darwin. I vaguely remember some disagreement on which way the benches should face a year or two ago. ; ). I agree they should face the store fronts and not the cars. However, I have visited a town or two that had the backboard in the middle of the bench so you could take your choice as to which side to sit on.

Spring Fever
Jul '13

Spring Fever... No matter which way the benches are facing, they will always be facing the WRONG way. You can't make everyone happy. When I go downtown, I go for a particular product. I couldn't care less which way the benches face.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

Firefly, I agree stores should be open 1 night a week. If you remember I actually was open 7 days a week and late Thursdays. Same in Washington. But when no one else is but you it doesnt work. For the life of me I could not get any other stores to participate.I even tried to get one night a month to have open late hours.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

Years ago Main St. Hackettstown and surrounding towns Friday night was the night the stores (all stores) were open for business. When we would have special sales and sidewalk sales.....they would include Friday night and Saturday.

joyful joyful
Jul '13

A GENTLE MENs club would be nice

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Jul '13

I would love to see a Tom &Chee restaurant!!!

Luck pick 6
Jul '13

Benches facing the stores are in many different towns that I visit. It's not something new but it's more of a new style/trend that these towns have taken to. I agree on stores extending their hours. As stated before, some people do work and that is the only times they could come. Maybe the stores should have a test run and change the hours/days and get a feel for how much business they are getting. It can be a trial run and could make them weigh out the difference

"second, when the town spends your hard-earned tax dollars, don't you want the biggest bang for your buck?"

As for out hard-earned tax dollars, be thankful they even put those benches, lights and sidewalk. Some towns are high in tax but nothing ever seems to be done to improve. We may not like the colors or the design of things, but at lease we got them.

jerseygirl1 jerseygirl1
Jul '13

Oh JerseyGirl, yes there is always somewhere worse. That does not absolve our elected officials from making the best choices to get great returns from our investments. Much of this improvement money was stimulus I think so we spent our Federal Tax dollars as well, not just town taxes so even us outlanders have a vested interest in the expenditures. We should always make the best use of the money available and we should relish feedback so we can improve.

I would love an evening on Main Street that included sidewalk seating at restaurants n pubs, maybe a little pleasant music. We could watch people walking from all the benches and bask in da pink under the LEDs. I just love sitting outside Demi's today sipping, talking, and watching the world go by.

Jul '13

Beat cops

neighborhood watcher
Jul '13

LOL Luck pick 6 i just went to a Tom And Chee in Cinci this past weekend!! had the grilled cheese and bacon on a glazed donut, soooo good. :)

Darwin Darwin
Jul '13

ok, ok, ok, just cause 'I' like the benches the other way is no reason to make a lot of changes. i thought most agreed. guess i can always bring my own lawn chair and face any which way. sorry for being so 'pedestrian' about 'bench facings' i have now 'evolved' on this issue and can now openly swing the seatback both ways. thanks for the comments everybody

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jul '13

I just walked by Homebrew University. What a shop. Opened 7 days (to begin with) and week days open until 8pm. WHAT? A store that actually is open past 5pm? Awesome. I am definitely getting my BREW on!!!

Hops2it Hops2it
Jul '13

If the final sign is as nice as the banner, it will be one cool section of town fer sure.

Jul '13

Homebrew U grand opening Sept. 7 - http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2013/07/fresh_local_hops_and_award_win.html#incart_river_default

I'll put my 2 cents in....How about a Chick-fil-a? Nice, clean cut, good food, closed on sunday. Yes, they have their own myopic opinions on politics and such, but their food is good.

There's one in P-burg and where would we put one on mainstreet?

btownguy btownguy
Jul '13

Re: What Main St Needs

Welcome Homebrew University great looking store inside

easy going guy
Jul '13

A few pictures inside.

easy going guy
Jul '13

A few more pictures inside

easy going guy
Jul '13

It looks like there are a lot of huge water bottles and buckets available. I guess those are some of the essentials to home brewing.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

Does the homebrewing place have the hardware that I would need to make hard cider. Best's will be making cider in two or three months. They make the best cider around so I assume it would be good for hard cider to.

dantheman
Jul '13

danteman - your best bet would be to contact them directly ---

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/shopping/homebrew-university

HomeBrew University
160 Main St.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 452-5352

Jul '13

Being a Homebrewer I am sure they can accommodate and steer you in the right direction on making cider. It's the same process of fermentation. Good local Apples with Good Local Honey make for a great Cyzer too!!

Hops2it Hops2it
Jul '13

looks like someone is moving into the old Eckerd Pharmacy store... but looks like it will only be for a short time. Saw a sign for Spirits on the door. They are a costume shop, so it looks like they are just going to use the empty store for Halloween season. oh well i guess short term use is better then no use

darwin darwin
Aug '13

Store opens in September. Sure you'll like it! Stop in and say Hi!

John C John C
Aug '13

Glad to see it, can't wait to shop. I love H-ween stores, and short term X-mas stores. Lets see if the bitches complain about this short term like they did with Mars short term on Main Street??

auntiel auntiel
Aug '13

i think main street needs smaller flower pots, the big ones are too hard to tip over

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Aug '13

yeah auntiel. cause I need Halloween 12 months a year. And Christmas too.....

But chocolate ----- nah, just once a year is good.

BDog ---- given the humidity, you have to imagine that they did work up quite a sweat.

Aug '13

What Main Street Needs is people to continue shopping there! Thanks to all of our loyal downtown shoppers --- people often forget the wide variety of shops that we have and the unique things you can find right here in Hackettstown!!

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '13

Spotted one of the new benches in town

easy going guy
Aug '13

You beat me to it easy guy.

Christine Christine
Aug '13

too bad they are facing the wrong way :)

JK, they look great and is exactly what i have been asking for, more of a relationship between M&Ms and H'town. the street naming, the lamp posts banners and now the benches are such great partnership between M&M and our town. Great job BID!!

darwin darwin
Aug '13

I question the bench facing wrong way. If I was sitting on the bench, not sure if i want to be directly facing a parked car right in front of me! I dont mind facing the sidewalk and the stores. Whatever direction they would have put them, people will complain rather than be happy that there actually are benches to rest/relax.

optimistic optimistic
Aug '13

that has been my point optimistic, but there are others on here that would rather sit right in front of a parked car

darwin darwin
Aug '13

Of course you would orient the benches to the storefronts and pedestrian traffic. The only reason you would orient it the other way is if it were a bus stop, so you could see the bus coming.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

Or the parade, or across the street where you can voyeur without the shame of being caught :>) Just take the backs off like Jack's did is the answer and then you can bench both ways (Iman likey that :>)

I love the new benches. The best part is that they don't melt where you sit!

GREAT job BID.

Aug '13

Very nice bench! No matter which way it faces. Thank you to our Mayor as well. I know she has been working one on one with MARs. It's a long time coming.

just a guy just a guy
Aug '13

Cool bench! I think the branding will add some identity/character to Main Street. Did Mars sponsor the benches?

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

The parade? If you're sitting on the bench, how are you going to see through the three rows of people standing between you and everything going on?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

Thanks all for your support! This has been in the works for a while - there will be more popping up too!

Thanks M&M's for getting more involved!

Aug '13

Obviously I appear to be in the minority, but I think the M&M bench looks tacky! However on the bright side it does fit in with the new Main st.

Denis Denis
Aug '13

What are they really doing for the community? Out of curiosity why are we advertising for them?

pampur pampur
Aug '13

pampur is there a thing in town you don't b1tch about? Why do you still live here if you hate everything about the town?

darwin darwin
Aug '13

YOU DO NOT WANT M&M TO LEAVE TOWN PAMPUR!!

Why must you be a troublemaker with everything good in the town? You must really be unhappy to constantly complain about things. I agree with Darwin. Why are you still here?

Christine Christine
Aug '13

If M&M left H'town, we would turn into Detroit, Camden etc, not like we're not close to being there as it is now.

What we need is a Red M&M bench for Pampur and Denis with a big caption saying "And I won't do that!" :>)

My goodness. I thought I was the king curmudgeon on Main Street. How can anyone not love the new benches? The only advertisement is the joy of having M&Ms as a good neighbor willing to help keep our benches from rusting.

I don't see you making that offer Pampur.

Aug '13

Denis, tacky would be if the town sold advertising on the benches and some realtor’s face was on them... M&Ms is a part of this town and gives us recognition. Why not embrace that and it show off?

darwin darwin
Aug '13

I get that M&M's is part of the town, and provides lots of jobs for the locals, great, wonderful. I still think the benches look tacky. Yes if a realtor paid to advertise that would look tacky, but so is any other form of advertising in my opinion, including M&M's. But as I said it fits in well.

Denis Denis
Aug '13

here are the lamp posts in Hershey, PA. Do you think they look tacky too?

darwin darwin
Aug '13

Still amazing. I am a small town guy where our small businesses pitched to to maintain the benches and put their ads, faces, whatever on the benches with our blessing.

We were only too proud to promote our local businesses and not to proud to take their support for the benches. Tacky? Only if you think our businesses are tacky.

You should be thankful Denis that Mars supported what you are too cheap to.

Aug '13

You know that saying you're damned if you do & you're damned if you don't? Well that's what I feel Pampur is all about. There isn't one thing that pleases you. Amen to Darwin & Christine! And please before you comment, just tell us what YOU have done for the town. A lot of people volunteer their time to make things better. Do you Pampur? If this town is as horrible as you feel, I ask the question too, why not move? Ok I'm sorry I'm done!

Fur babies Fur babies
Aug '13

I love that bench. I used to travel on business all over- morocco, Japan, Chile etc and whenever I opened the hotel minibar and found a package of MM s I would laugh because on the back it said Hackettstown NJ. Reminded me how small a world this is .

A good day
Aug '13

I think the benches are a great way to advertise the positive aspects of small town America.

I would love to see a variety of flags or art work advertising the uniqueness of the town all along the Main Street .... Centenary, the Museum, Library, Hospital, train station, Fish hatchery, preschools and private school, public schools by name, school mascots, sports teams, WRNJ, the Star and the Cross, Alumni Field etc. I know I have left off a lot, but Hackettstown has ample places to display what many most love about Hackettstown, whether on a flag, or a flower pot, banners, etc. It is still a special place to live and visit especially to those of use who grew up in or nearby Hackettstown . I hope those who do not see the charm and potential of this town will someday move to a place they too can be proud of and call home.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Aug '13

Christine, is something wrong with your reading comprehension? I did not say I wanted M&M to leave town! I simply asked what they did for the community they are the only real tax payer in town.

Christine since your part of the parking authority, why are they getting rid of the parking lot attendants? Does that mean your out of a job too?

pampur pampur
Aug '13

Mr G, I should be thankful that Mars supports what I'm to cheap to, really?? Mars hasn't paid my property taxes for the last 20 years which are used to support the town. Because I don't like the bench's that means I think our businesses are tacky? I never said that. Once again you try and do your nonsensical spin job, and put words in my mouth. It's what you do best. All I said is to me the benches look tacky, my opinion!

Yes Darwin, I do think those Hersey lamp posts look ridiculous. Just my opinion.

Denis Denis
Aug '13

It seems to me that our tax dollars paid for so much to be done to make Main St look good. I think that the M&M bench really takes away from all that has been done.

Jesse
Aug '13

Denis, I was up town and spoke to a business owner this afternoon and I asked what has Mars really done for the town. His response to me "nothing".

pampur pampur
Aug '13

Mars has done so much and continue to do so much.

Spring Festival-Partnership with WCCC
St. Patty's Day Parade-partnership with HBID.
Pop Up Store
Numerous donations of candy for Halloween parades, parades and BID events.
Volunteer on the BID Board and Events Committees.

If a business has no idea what they do for the town then that business is out of touch.

Christine Christine
Aug '13

The new benches are great. Would love to see more M & M stuff around town.

A tech center for startups within walking distance of the train station makes sense to me, but maybe not this decade... If the town and county would stop wasting money maybe they could purchase one the buildings and renovate them, and then lease them to "startups". A partnership with Centenary and maybe Mars... Pie in the sky for sure, but when they waste 600k plus on a football field it does not seem so pie like...

iJay3 iJay3
Aug '13

You can have your "tacky" opinion, that's fine, but I disagree. And I really do feel, IMHO, that if you think a picture of the M&M --- no words, no slogans, no pitches, not even ownership that yes, if you think that is tacky then you think the very thing that identifies the business is tacky too.

As far as cheap, no opinion here, you are cheaper than Mars. They too pay taxes, I would guess a bit more than you, but the bench refresh is out-of-pocket, not tax dollars. What's in your wallet?

Actually I am trying to help the foot you have inserted....not put more words in.

I just love Spring Fever's idea and would extend that concept to local businesses too ---- as long as they were done as artfully and low-key as the M&M bench which is certainly not blatant advertising in any way.

Off-line I had suggested to BID that painted directions from the back parking lots to town stores, especially through those darkened alleyways, would be great, including painting the walls and deck of the alleys. You know, like large arrows saying "walk this way to Pandan or that way to Trading Post) In that small town I am from we painted an alley to look somewhat like the yellow-brick road with town images on the walls (farmer's market, local crops and historical sites). Painted street signs on the walls indicated which way to turn for different stores. It was great and increased the traffic through the alley which increased the traffic to the Main Street. Everyone was saying "follow the yellow brick road......"

Benches were painted too.

Painted up can look good especially in the dark places in town. And if it highlights directions, places in town, things to do ---- what can be the harm?

Aug '13

In addition to what Christine stated:

- Mars also hosts the annual Memorial Day car show of which the entrance fees, if I recall correctly, goes to charity.
- A portion of the profits from the pop up store was also donated to the town.

It's a shame that some people continue to bitch about things rather than get facts.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

A video store. Not a rental place, but a store where they sell DVDS and Blu-ray and maybe VHS tapes

Lngvly22 Lngvly22
Aug '13

Mr G, I said the benches look tacky in my opinion, any other associations you create are just a figment of your imagination. I never said M&M's wasn't a good neighbor, or that there is anything tacky about the company. I don't like the benches, plain and simple. As far as being cheap because I never donated a bench, I guess everyone else in town is also in your book. You have no problem complaining about things from time to time, but that's OK in your book. When someone has a different opinion than you, even if it wasn't directed to you you feel the need to hurl direct insults . I don't feel like I put my foot in mouth, another one of your favorite quotes, but I can think of another place I would like to put it.

Denis Denis
Aug '13

how about we bring back the M&M store as a permanent fixture? I loved that

skippy skippy
Aug '13

DVD"s. and Bluerays are for sell at Selling Tales in town. Got some great deals there

Christine Christine
Aug '13

emaxxman, I have the facts, my family worked at M&M's for many years. That company has changed drastically. Do you work there?

pampur pampur
Aug '13

Denis,

I give up. You have out tacky-ed me by far.

Aug '13

The benches look great just the way they are.

It's not 1955 anymore so it's time to grow up.

"It's not 1955 anymore so it's time to grow up."

Or, buy a DeLorean with the Mr. Fusion upgrade...

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

Spring Fever - Great idea! -- and mistergoogle - we're looking at how to make the painting happen - we should have more information at the end of the week, but 'wayfinding' is one of the BID Directors concerns that he is taking action on -- the wheels have been in motion for a very long time.

Re: tech / information center for new (or any) business is the BID and SBDC both in town - the property owners were sent a letter from the BID and the businesses get an email with tips and helpful information about seminars, training sessions, etc. and all have been invited to come to the office for a intro to internet marketing session --- sadly none have taken the bite.

Many of our successful businesses do not wait for something to come to them, they are out and about doing things ALL THE TIME to make their businesses successful - the new business who's done it right from the beginning is Philly Pretzel - yes, it costs time and money, but they are building their business in small ways every day!

re: M&M Support - their funding as well as help from Centenary and Hackettstown Regional Medical Center brings you all sorts of things --- in addition to the one's above the Farmers Market. Why do this larger concerns do this stuff? For one M&M has a new President that includes community service and involvement as one of her commitments, Centenary's President has spearheaded the Community Service component of the total education they provide (next week is the Community Plunge, look for Centenary students all over town next Monday) and the Hospital has always included our town in their scope.

And remember if you don't shop at our unique stores that so many say they love - the stores WILL go away....

trekster3 trekster3
Aug '13

I too like your idea Spring Fever, the more we embrace all the good things about the town the better it'll be.

darwin darwin
Aug '13

emaxxman, I have the facts, my family worked at M&M's for many years. That company has changed drastically. Do you work there?

Pampur you don't need to work for Mars to know how much they do for the town. Christine and Emaxxman just listed a bunch of ways Mars supports our town, yet you continue to say you have your facts? Clearly you don't. And good job finding 1 clueless business owner

darwin darwin
Aug '13

"Many of our successful businesses do not wait for something to come to them, they are out and about doing things ALL THE TIME to make their businesses successful - the new business who's done it right from the beginning is Philly Pretzel - yes, it costs time and money, but they are building their business in small ways every day!" trekster3

Very good.

Activate Fitness Activate Fitness
Aug '13

i don't think mars does enough. maybe a permanent store or visitor center would help. for example, hershey, though a company town, has many attractions, and people come from far away to visit attractions like hershey story, the chocolate world and hotel. if mars were to do something like that in hackettstown, full time, and advertise it, there would be many people coming to hackettstown. besides, unlike hershey which is around 145 miles from new york, hackettstown is just 45 miles from new york.

hluser
Aug '13

Trekster: Thanks and I like that BID is really reaching out, trying to listen.

Aug '13

One more thing to remember - Mars is not the only game in town so to speak --- MANY of our hometown businesses donate their time and products for good causes and give back ALL THE TIME! Shop local, your dollars go RIGHT BACK to the community!!

Latest Example: Moose for Margaret Tricky Tray!!

http://www.hackettstownbid.com/news/2013/8/moose-for-margaret-tricky-tray-aug

Thank you to the following BID Businesses that have already helped out!

Prickly Pear
Stella G
Dunkin Donuts
Scrub A Dub Doggie
Marleys Gotham Grill
Philadelphia Pretzel Factory
Scotty G's
Turning Heads Salon
Mamas Pizza
Dominos
Hackettstown Pet Supply
Hackettstown Hardware
Centenary Stage
Main Street Auto
Tickners

And also to our neighbor businesses!
Golds Gym
Riverside Health
O'Neill Jewelers
CVS
Weis
Piggys Deli
Enchanted Chocolate
Enzos Pasta Grill
Sonnys Pizza
Pump House
Skylands Orthopediac

Aug '13

I don't think Jack's actually modified their bench, it's just a different type of bench. C&L's bench is the exact same backless one with a different kind of seat.

But after about the fourth time now of bench direction discussion ad nauseum, there is no winning answer. It's functionally equivalent to the Ann Landers debate of which way the toilet paper should be put.

TP should be over the top and not under. End of debate.

emaxxman emaxxman
Aug '13

Christie is coming to Hackettstown on Friday morning to make a quick tour of the Mars plant.

I like the idea of M&M's in the town. I think it is good for the town and will draw folks in. Since there is advertising all over town then I think the next step is a store. The statement needs to be completed. I think a store is good for the community and great for the kids.
We need more for kids around town. If anyone has been to the Creamery in Morristown? I think we need something like this for parents & kids to go to or even for a place for young teenagers to meet and have something to do. No one walks in town and it is a shame because the sidewalks and benches are nice and town looks clean.
I even thought of an accessory store for kids/teenagers. Something fun that they can go into. They can shop and then go get ice cream or a cupcake.
Just my thoughts.

"Christie is coming to Hackettstown on Friday morning to make a quick tour of the Mars plant."

Is it the all-you-can-eat tour?

ianimal ianimal
Aug '13

i was shocked ianimal it took that long for someone to make a joke. seemed BLD tossed one right over the plate :)

darwin darwin
Aug '13

Thanks Darwin. Mine is but an acquired taste, humor like a fine wine, only the refined can truly enjoy it.

Aug '13

Saw the ad in the classifieds for the forthcoming Indian/Pakinstani restuarant:
http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/18942

Trekster - Any idea when it's going to open?

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Thanks Emaxx --- I'm reaching out to them now to see if I can get an answer, as soon as I have info I'll let you know!

The property owner says it should be early next week, pending final inspections....

Sep '13

A sushi place or a frozen yogurt!!!

Tbones23 Tbones23
Sep '13

I hope if you order Pakistani and Indian dishes you don't get a nuclear stand-off in your tum tum or worse yet, a Kasmir dispute :>)

Sep '13

Tbones23 - you got it!

Frozen yogurt
Main Street Ice Cream
205 Main St.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 914-7072
http://www.mainstreeticecream.com
features - Taste of Perfection Yogurt and yes they have a toppings bar.

Though not on Main Street, still very close:
Little Tokyo
207 Mountain Ave.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 850-1188 ‎
http://www.littletokyo207.com/

trekster3 trekster3
Sep '13

several years ago i saw a set of M&M's christmas tree lights for sale in one of the fabric/craft stores down in succusana, haven't seen them since, regret to this day not picking up a couple of sets

anyone know of these? are they still available?

town is looking nicer last couple of years, still want to baffle those led bulbs inside the light fixtures, think it would make a positive difference even if it cuts the lumens spread a tad or two it would be worth it in my view.

and i would love to see more of the just white Christmas lights strung up around the windows and other architecture features up and down main-street at night, i think it makes a really nice ambiance

(can you guys tell i used to run a light show company in an earlier life?)

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

Hackettstown needs a minor league baseball team. And Centenary could use a home baseball field, as well.

Just take that Skylands Park from the Sussex County farmland, move it brick by brick (the way they moved the London Bridge to Arizona) and we'll have something that draws people to town during the summertime.

We'll bring the Mets' Triple-A team over here from Las Vegas. LOL

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

If you think I'm being silly, such a facility could also host a lot of musical and cultural presentations as well during the off-season and when the team is on the road.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

That would be great Andy! I agree. I honestly can't wait til spring to attend my grandson's games at the Yoga Berra Stadium in Montclair.

Firefly Firefly
Sep '13

Talk to the people who brought the Blue Claws to Lakewood ... growing up in that town I never had the foggiest idea there would be a vital minor league team playing there someday.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

i like the idea Andy, but where is the acreage to put up a AAA ball park?

needs to seat (i think) 2 -3 thousand patrons? is that right?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Sep '13

Andy, the Mets AAA team is currently playing in Queens...

ianimal ianimal
Sep '13

We could buy out that golf center, or put it up right next to WRNJ ... if people are serious, it could be done. They did the Hackettstown spring festival on Mountain Ave about four years ago... never realized there was that much space out there.

There's a lot of space by the Mansfield-Hackettstown border between the shopping plaza and HHS. If they could find a place in Allentown, Pa., for a ballpark, they could put a ballpark in any town you can name.

Hackettstown actually is eligible for an affiliated minor league team by the rules regarding major league affiliations.

The reason the Somerset Patriots are independent (non-affiliated) is because Somerset borders Mercer, where the Yankees' Double-A Thunder plays.

You can't have affiliated teams in counties that border each other.

Well, Sussex does not have one, Morris doesn't, Hunterdon doesn't and Northampton doesn't (Allentown is in Lehigh).

If Sussex could have one from 1994 to 2005, I'm sure H-town is far enough from New York that it could work here ... as close as we are to all that Morris County population (and money) it really could work. We would have something that Morris towns do not.

Hey, Hackettstown BID, how about it?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

ianimal, I actually did laugh out loud when I read your comment!

When we get baseball going, hockey is next!

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Love the ideas between a new skatepark and my hubby would love a baseball stadium. But, we did have semi-pro basketball that no one went to last year, so I think it would be hard to convince any team to relocate here. Oh and the HBID operates in the city limits, so there really is no where in city limits to put it (and the parking).....

trekster3 trekster3
Sep '13

Don't go by the basketball team, it was very poorly promoted. There is a reason the teams in that league are so nomadic.

When it comes to winter sports, this is a wrestling area. I grew up in a basketball area and I know the difference, although that area I grew up in has since developed some powerhouse wrestling programs. Come on, Skylands Area, keep up with those pineys..

Just so there is no confusion, the only affiliated teams playing in New Jersey are the Trenton Thunder in Mercer (Yankees) and Lakewood Blue Claws in Ocean (Phillies).

The Somerset Patriots and New Jersey Jackals (in Essex) are independent, so if a team for this area needs to be located in Morris (as close to Hackettstown proper as possible) the fact that Morris borders Essex and Somerset will not hurt the case for affiliated baseball here.

I expect people to say the area will not support it. Every good idea has its naysayers in the beginning. They said the same things in the Lehigh Valley about putting a team into Allentown, for many years.

I would think the Mets would like to have a team playing in New Jersey and they would work with us.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

The Lehigh Valley also had a pro basketball team, from 1999 to 2005, that was poorly promoted and did not draw ... it was called the ValleyDawgs and was coached by none other than Darryl Dawkins.

The fact that it bombed financially did not discourage the visionaries who brought minor league baseball there. Since 2008 the IronPigs have been a huge success at the gate.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Love the Bowling Alley idea!! We definitely need a Beauty Supply store, that would bring tons of repeat business.

Cinsby88 Cinsby88
Sep '13

Psst.... A little bird told me that Tandoori Kabab at 223 Main Street should be opening tomorrow - Thurs. 9/19 at 10:30 am.
http://www.hackettstownbid.com/restaurants/tandoori-kabab

Sep '13

Psst.... A little bird tells me there will be a full report on the food at Tandoori Kebab posted on line tomorrow. ;-)

I love some of your ideas. But I have to say it may be a wasted effort. In the past 12 years I've lived here I have watched Hackettstown go from being one of the best places to live to become a "Little Paterson" or "Little Dover" if you prefer.

I only see it getting worse for quite some time down the road. It is a sad thing watching the degradation of a community Like a lot of other people that used to live here it's time to move on.

Hubby's been here 56 years. It was once a vibrant town where everyone knew your name and they helped one another. Now it's sewer hole where the Main Street element pisses in the street and ally ways, dumpsters full of furniture and old mattresses in parking lots...You would have never been able to get away with that years ago.

pampur pampur
Sep '13

MDS --- I have to disagree --- Yes, I think 5 years ago things were pretty grim --- but I've seen a big turn-around in the past 2 years ---

This summer I saw A LOT more shoppers and people in general walking around town. I've seen more cars stop for pedestrians (though we still need improvement) and more involvement by HRMC (which has always been a huge supporter in town), Centenary College, M&M and all of our small businesses.... Remember to shop at all of the businesses you want to see stick around and most notably those that support the town and groups at every turn.

YES, there is a lot more work to be done, but I see far more people and groups pitching in to make things better than there was before --- Residents and Businesses are starting to take a vested interest in town and the more that do, the better things become.... resigning yourself to only the negative is a sad way to live --- I prefer to look at all of the positive things that are going on.... Call me Pollyanna if you will, but I will live in town for a VERY long time --- and gladly!

trekster3 trekster3
Sep '13

I agree Trekster. I also see less "collections" of "like-minded" people just hanging around although I admit I might just be getting up later :>)

I tried Demi's and oh boy, that's nice.

Sep '13

Sewer Hole, Little Dover, Little Paterson?

Not sure where you 2 live BUT we are not even close! I still wonder why you are here if that's the way you feel. Take a walk along any Main St. USA and you will see the same thing.

The world changes. Get out there and change with it or sit on your computer and complain. Volunteer, go to the landlords, go to the town and let them know what you see. Be part of the solution not the problem.

Christine Christine
Sep '13

How come if I walk down the street in Mendham or Summit or Ridgewood or Glen Rock or even Cranberry NJ I don't see the same things I see in Hackettstown. Even Newton has cleaned up it's act.

Where else can I witness a drug transaction right in front of me as I pick up a pizza pie in the middle of the day. I will think twice before I send my children or grandchildren to walk home on Main Street these days.

pampur pampur
Sep '13

LOL Mendham's avg household income is $112K, the avg house value is $614K and the avg property tax is $12k so how he hell can you compare Hackettstown to them?? Also Mendham has what a 1 block "Main St" if that.

Summit: avg household income $114K, avg house value $695K avg property tax $12k

Ridgewaood: avg household income $146k avg house value $663K avg properyt tax $14k

Cranberry: avg household income $130k, avg house value $565K, avg property tax $10k

Glen Rock: avg household income $140K avg home value $577K

HACKETTSTOWN: avg house hold income $61k avg home value $271K

HOW THE HECK CAN YOU COMPARE HACKETTSTOWN TO THE TOWNS YOU JUST LISTED!!! Hackettstown is and always was a blue collar town, all those town's you listed are upper class high end towns in NJ with the exception of Newton

darwin darwin
Sep '13

You obviously have not been to Newton lately or read any of their news reports. Every town has crime, drugs and foreclosures and bankruptcies!

I always love hearing the quotes like above, " Where else can I witness a drug transaction right in front of me as I pick up a pizza pie in the middle of the day". Did you call the police? Did you report it to a detective or did you just go on with your business. How about tell the owner of the pizza place? That's what I would have done. So pampur do you send your children and grandchildren to school? Library? Church? Walmart? These all have had crime in them and you are worried about Main St?

BTW I worked in Ridgewood many years ago and had my car stolen twice in a month. So what's your point that crimes do not happen anywhere but in this town? Or you don't like the people walking on Main St? Because it reads a little fishy to me.

This topic is so old that the same people keep going over it and over it. I still do not understand why they have not left.

Christine Christine
Sep '13

The drug dealers live in Mendham.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Sep '13

Well said Christine.

Even better, if people don't like what's going on downtown, why don't they just rent one of the spaces and open up the kind of store they like? Easier to complain.

In the 13 years I've lived here, these all opened up:
Bea's, New Image, Marley's, Demi's, Martey's, Homebrew, Main St. Ice Cream, Pandan Room (OK, not really Main St. but close enough), Stella's

I'm sure I'm missing some. If you ask me, I see things improving despite a recession that will be studied in history books for decades to come.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Heard on 96.1 (cat) Hackettstown police will be going undercover as pedestrians to man the crosswalks and ticket your sorry ass for not stopping when they cross. That is a really good thing Main st. needs. Although they had to wait for $$ from the state before the go ahead. I don't think their undercover as a regular Joe is going to fool anyone, we know all the cops and what they look like. I hope their disguise fool some. Including the j walkers.

auntiel auntiel
Sep '13

pampur - please please please please stop with the rhetoric. You never offer a solution. You sign on periodically simply to point to evidence to support your theory that Hackettstown is going to Hell in a handbasket. While you are not incorrect that our town is different than it was 5 decades ago, I would argue that there are a lot of redeeming qualities about this town as it stands today. Coming on this forum periodically to complain about our town is useless in my opinion. If you have thoughts on how to improve our town, speak up. There are many people on this forum (and in this town) that I am sure would support any reasonable solution to improve Hackettstown.

*steps off soapbox*

nafrupmapaton
Sep '13

Bea McNally's is where Charlie Brown's used to be, which replaced a restaurant which was there earlier than that. Marley's replaces The Laughing Lion, which replaced the old Town Crier. Stella's (at the corner of walk and don't walk) is at the location where The Jigger Pub was for many years.

Now, I'm not complaining. It is nice to see new businesses replace the ones that leave. In most towns, restaurants are here today and gone tomorrow ... it's a really tough business.

The arrival of Pandan Room, across the street from where I used to have my office, was really welcome and I'm glad to see they are still going strong. They renovated a building which had been vacant for a long time and was becoming an eyesore. I used to go to Pandan for a good, healthy meal, every payday.

Now, my work travels take me to the Lehigh Valley, WCCC, and I do a lot at home on my laptop. No longer having me in Hackettstown on a daily basis must be a crushing blow to the restaurants in town (LOL) so I'm glad to see they are still keeping their heads above water.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

While there may be some issues, it is not so bad. I do think things are looking much better and am happy to see all the businesses mentioned above doing well. I still think we have a great town.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Sep '13

Chipotle's

Birdlover Birdlover
Sep '13

emaxx didn't mention all the Spanish establishments as a bonus to Hackettstown, nor the cash for gold, etc.

neighborhood watcher
Sep '13

I love the latino/columbian restaurants on Main Street, very reasonably priced and great food. Rico Pan makes the best empanadas, great prices and very nice people.

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/forum/19705

positive positive
Sep '13

Chipotle

Lala1313 Lala1313
Sep '13

ugh, I can't believe I'm going to beat this dead horse again.....

NW - so Plate Jewelers is now a bad thing since they also promote cash for gold? They've been a stable town business for DECADES.

When you go down main st., please take the time to count the 'spanish' businesses, there are far fewer than you think. There's enough to meet a need, no more, no less. How many neighborhoods in the city had German, Italian, etc. signs for YEARS.

Having an ethnic shop is good business, plain and simple and I applaud them for meeting a need. If you got to know any of the of hispanic community you would know that they are hard-working people just trying to make ends meet and bring a better life for their families. (oh and EVERY segment of society has bad eggs from Priests to Bottle Washers, so lets not go there).

And guess what? I saw many parents, with limited english, at Back to School, helping their children succeed! Thankfully we have great language arts teachers that work hard to help build the students abilities and their confidence, bridging the culture gap.

trekster3 trekster3
Sep '13

neighborhood watcher - So what if I didn't? What's your point if you even have one.

The town doesn't want more tatoo parlors around but the one on Main Street (where Shutterbug Ed's used to be) is one of the nicest stores around. I didn't mention that one either.

emaxxman emaxxman
Sep '13

Pei Wei

Lala1313 Lala1313
Sep '13

Colombian*

And that's not a spelling nor grammar error, it's geographical :)

Sep '13

If you don't like it in Hackettstown, MOVE! Simple!

botheredbyuu
Sep '13

Thanks Lori...Lol! I had no idea that I've been geographically incorrect for many years :)

positive positive
Sep '13

A few days ago I suggested pursuing a minor league baseball team (Sussex is so remote yet the Cardinals still drew fans) ... and someone asked where in Hackettstown could it be located?

If Hackettstown is too jammed up and nobody has a large parcel of land to sell, I'm thinking Independence, Great Meadows, or Liberty -- plenty of space. Most of the crowds would be coming from Morris ... ads on the outfield walls or the program books, along with creative promotions, may entice them to visit your business on the way home or the next time they come. Food establishments can set up concession operations in the ballpark... which could lead to some new off-season business if people like the food.

The Yankees and Phillies have farm clubs in New Jersey, we need a Mets affiliate.

Don't laugh, the Mets' Double-A club had a real good year this year. They always have great prospects, it's when they reach the majors that they develop problems.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Metsman could throw the ceremonial first pitch, as a reward for his loyalty.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Trekster, You're sounding racist with your dead horse beat, and I don't think anyone is looking for a history lesson.

....and emaxx....so what, I'm still a rockstar....

neighborhood watcher
Sep '13

Psst - Wendy - turns out the credit card machine wasn't ready yesterday and the kitchen was still going through the paces with prep work.

So the opening was today.

My suggestion is that the really simple kebab rolls are going to get over looked. The kebab plates are pretty big but just a simple roti wrapped kebab with all the fixings is a full meal. Very tasty kebab wrapped with tandoori bread or thick paratha, salad fillings, and a spicy yoghurt sauce for dipping. Bargain at $6.

The place looks very tidy inside I might add. Totally opened up by taking absolutely everything out of the front and going with simple cloth covered tables. The cash register and counter was moved all the way to the back to leave the room.

Christine, how do you know I didn't report it, the fact of the matter is drug transactions are very common here.

Darwin, Now you have justified a reason for not having a merchant come into the community to do business. Send your comment to the BID Director for review! I am sure he will love seeing that.

nafrupmapaton - I am a concerned citizen, apparently your not. . I go to the meetings. Do you? The problem with this town is people like YOU who stick their heads in the sand like ostriches.

pampur pampur
Sep '13

pampur reread what I said! I asked you if you reported it. So did you? Its very easy to find out if you did or not. What pizza place? When did this happen recently? I am just curious. Maybe we can all watch out for this.

As I said before don't be part of the problem be part of the solution.

Christine Christine
Sep '13

Once again someone pull out the Plate jewelers card to try and blur the distinctions between a cash of gold/goods/or whatever you got store, and an well established jewelry store that offers cash for gold as just one of many services, and certainty not their main source of income. If that was my store I wouldn't appreciate that association, and that link has not been made by anyone complaining about the plethora of cash for gold stores in this town.

Denis Denis
Sep '13

Denis when a huge sign sits outside the store that says WE BUY GOLD & SILVER they are not doing it for fun. Times are tough for everyone and I am sure they are making money from it also like everyone else. The Gold Mine store also sells jewelry and buys gold and silver. I find them very nice and did things the right way by taking pictures of your license and the jewelry.They have a couple of stores and I had a good dealing with them.

Christine Christine
Sep '13

Thanks for the update Christine but your comment "they aren't doing it for fun" in no way disputes my assertion that they should not be seen as the same as anyone of the many new types of stores here that operate as as a cash for gold/goods/or whatever you got store. It's just one service they offer as a full service jewelry store.

Denis Denis
Sep '13

"the plethora of cash for gold stores in this town."

There is 2, count them 2 cash for gold stores in town. And there won't be anymore.

darwin darwin
Sep '13

"Darwin, Now you have justified a reason for not having a merchant come into the community to do business. Send your comment to the BID Director for review! I am sure he will love seeing that."

What? You lost me on that one. And i'm pretty sure Jim knows the economic and demographic stats of our town and what businesses would fit.

darwin darwin
Sep '13

Darwin, at least you don't lump Plate jewelers in with them like some others here. I'm also glad it's down to 2. Why won't there be anymore?

Denis Denis
Sep '13

http://www.nj.com/warrenreporter/index.ssf/2012/04/hackettstown_votes_to_limit_ca.html

there is a town ordinance that limits the # of cash for gold stores to 2.

darwin darwin
Sep '13

Watch out for those pedestrians!

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Slow-down-for-pedestrians-or-else/-/121458/22011260/-/uw42x/-/index.html

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

I was post number 300, do I win a prize?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

Yes, two tickets to Betty Buckley in NYC.

Sep '13

That's a good one MrG!! Lol!

positive positive
Sep '13

As the old joke goes, first prize is a week in Philadelphia.

Second prize is two weeks in Philadelphia.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Sep '13

I left my heart in San Fran......cisco...
But I left something way farther down......in Phili town.....

(before you yell at me, my family is from Phili, I like to touristo there, but let's face it, south phili can be tough and nasty ------ at times.)

Sep '13

Product pricing at chain stores is not always the cheapest. Hackettstown Pet Supply has lower pet food prices than the chain stores. Support our local stores.

Mike L Mike L
Oct '13

I have lived in Hackettstown since 1955. I too have seen changes.
The M&M candy factory brought a lot of work to this town and the town grew.
It has changed with the computer age in the factories.
When you get a chance, just go out to Hershey Pennsylvania.
There you have the famous Hershey plant.
They do so much for their town and schools that you would not believe your ears or eyes.
They pay for books, pencils training and more. At the holidays , they are there for their people.
Just read the history of the Hershey company and how much one company cares for their community.
Wouldn't it be nice if M&M candies do the same.
You really have to understand how a large company like Hershey cares for its community.
For one , they put their town on the map when we had the great depression.
They still help schools and underprivileged children.
They built homes and gave people work.
I spend time there and study more about their great help to the community.
I would like to see M&M give to our schools and children who need help no matter where they come from.
All I am asking is for you to take time and compare the difference between 2 major factories.
Remember, the Vietnam War put M&M's on the map until they merged with Mr. Mars.
Our leaders should approach M&M and ask what they can do to help our education system.
Speak out and be heard.
Thanks Charlie

Charlie Charlie
Nov '13

Charlie,

I will never, ever want M&M's and Mars to be compared with Hershey - Ever... I will never look at Hershey the same way again.... Great build amusement parks, that's nice. But they move all of the manufacturing out of the US while Mars builds a new plant in Kansas, increasing US production. And now this? ==== Thanks, but no thanks.
http://www.change.org/petitions/pennsylvania-attorney-general-kathleen-kane-abbie-bartels-has-died-after-indefensible-hershey-school-decisions-it-s-time-to-put-child-welfare-professionals-in-charge-before-any-more-children-are-harmed?share_id=yscshNTzXa&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

And by the way Mars is working more every day to help out the community in general, the amount of community service hours their staff does is increasing every single year and they are looking for new ways to help, all of this takes time --

trekster3- trekster3-
Nov '13

Trekster. Love Mars and what they do but you should research before you slam a company......wrongly. Hersey's closed down the Canadian plants, Hers-eh? They closed some US plants like Reading and opened a plant in Mexico that focuses on low-value products and emerging markets. They still make the good stuff in the US.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/hersheys.asp

Just saying.

Nov '13

MG - Yes they do, but they are shrinking their US workforce while Mars is growing it - and if that school article is true (no, I didn't fact check it) they should be ashamed of themselves....

trekster3- trekster3-
Nov '13

Yes, but to say "they move all of the manufacturing out of the US" is incorrect.

And Mars has chocolate factories outside the US also, they just started one in Egypt of all places with 300 factory workers.

Again, not slamming, just saying.

Nov '13

"Remember, the Vietnam War put M&M's on the map until they merged with Mr. Mars"

Charlie

????? What does this mean?

You have to understand Mars and Hershey are two completely different companies and are run as such. Hershey is publicly traded. Mars is privately owned and run by a single family. As such the Mars family can run their company and make decisions as they feel appropriate. It's their money - not yours.

trekster3 - The school article does seem to have legs. I read through it and at the end found a link to a Harvard Law School's Child Advocacy Program (CAP) event discussing the same subject. The event was last week, Oct 29, and the page includes a video which I haven't watched yet:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/programs/about/cap/cap-events/eventhersheyf13.html

What are the requirements for being allowed to attend the "charity" school at $100,000 per student per year? No where in the article does it state that Abbie continued to meet the criteria, whatever they are. In fact, the article implies that perhaps she no longer needed the charity school because she had made improvements.

If this does have "legs" then I'm guessing this will be yet another nail in the coffin of private charity. No good deed goes unpunished these days.

I don't know, this seems like another tragedy that is making it's case by tugging at our emotions. Time will tell, I guess.

justintime justintime
Nov '13

Trekster-3
Sorry but the complete town of Hershey is part of Hershey. They have schools for youngsters who cannot afford good schooling. They look better than our colleges.
They supply school needs and medical care for the townspeople . Their trust fund alone would take care of our town.
The amusements is only a sample of what takes in money to support the community.
Read about it and than talk.
You are way out of touch.
M&M's owns so much out of the country it isn't funny.
Much of their products come from other countries.
They moved many employees south because of cheaper taxes and lower wages.
I use to work there when there was over 2,000 employees.
Now a lot of it is farmed out to cheaper help.
Only the retired make out good.
I would bet if they could , they would move the complete plant.
Only Holiday candy is made there
Hershey has people and a trust plan to continue to make their town great.
They even take care of the needy in the town when it comes to the holidays.
Charlie

Charlie Charlie
Nov '13

Entrepreneur

Main St. or the area needs an enclosed mall like the one we had in the past.
People like to go indoors and shop in one location.
The old Hackettstown Mall was a nice place to go and it brought in people.
The only way Main St. will make it is if it were to be situated with free parking, open market sales and more like Chester.
More store front outside sales and items for the public to look at.
It will never be a college town as the students do not have Old Navy, Macys, JC Penny's or a large book store.
Indoor malls are in and outdoor sales are weather permitting.
The Ford dealership that is closed in town use to be ACME That would be a great start.
If we don't do it, Independence will.
Any large food store there would bring a lot of shoppers to the town. The parking is there and the store is already there.. A good face lift and it would help the people at the North End of town.
Charlie

Charlie Charlie
Nov '13

Charlie where do you get your info. Post links to prove it please.

Christine Christine
Nov '13

Charlie might be correct regarding world-wide manufacturing but he carefully said M&M companies which in the US include Chocolate, Pet Food, Gum, Drinks, Food and....a bio division that makes at least dietary supplements. I am pretty sure most of the US chocolate is made in the U.S.

Many of the M&M companies are overseas purchases with major markets and manufacturing across the globe on most continents.

Regarding getting an accurate picture, good luck, but I am guessing he is pretty close to the mark on the other stuff. Just a guess. However, so what? You expect manufacturers in really competitive markets like candy and sodas to take any cost advantage they can get. We should be impressed and grateful they are still here and should bend over backwards to help them stay.

Nov '13

Charlie - There's a lot more to Hershey's situation than has been discussed. You talk about the Hershey Trust almost as if it's something separate. It actually owns over 50% of Hershey Foods the $5 billion company. It has rules that makes it spend ridiculous amounts of $ because it's so large, and short changes the people it's supposed to help. That was in the Harvard video how they shipped in millions in marble that will never be spent on kids education. You are right about the looks but the ostentatious display is inconsistent with the mandate to help. You speak of "they have schools" and their funding of education as if the beneficiary is the town when that's not the case. It was supposed to be an orphanage but now accepts other live in kids with special needs. The amusement park was also supposed to be free or at cost as a non-profit. They corrupted that purpose too.

If you want the equivalent in Hackettstown, then you are asking for the company to buy ever property out, turn all the current residents out, and make a for profit destination that is mismanaged to spend as much money as possible no matter what the return is.

When it comes to the other comments about being like Chester and malls are the in thing everyone wants, you're living in a world 30 years ago. I can't comment on how being an employee was, but even that sort of sounds like 30 years ago. But for sure Chester's open air market closed long ago, replaced not by the malls that are now passe in favor of outlet shops, and Macy's & Penny's are bankrupt companies completely uncool to the college market. The over 40 crowd still likes book stores, but college kids want e-books. Do I even have to go over the idea of an Acme? Acme?? Large food stores are already saturated to the point A&P in Mansfield failed. Not to mention you already have a small market on Main St, and a mini Mall. How often do you go to those places? If you don't go to those now, how do you expect them to be a solution? Too many people say "I didn't know we had that" and "I want an xyz type place, but not THAT one". You have to make up your mind and if it's a solution you have to already be putting your $ where your mouth is.

They wanted and courted the in-favor American Eagle, A&F, Hollister, etc. for such a college complex, but they came out with pitch forks and tar at Council meetings. Not to mention remind me who has been a leading killer of the Bergen site development that was supposed to be the home of those shops that are exactly what you are asking for??

Chester is a disaster far worse than what we have now with a far higher empty rate all killed by the "Streets of Chester". The restaurants we already had, which are a first step, is a successful strategy. We are now getting even better at that. Small specialty shops with additional college based anchor stores would build on the destination possibilities. Places like the pet store, health food, Old Souk, these are the specialties that help. Living in 1954 does not.

Main St. needs a population that's got some money to spend.

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Nov '13

Instead of cracking down on j-walkers and cross walk violators, they need to clear out the illegals. They are draining our services dry without contributing to the tax base.

But that's too much like hard work. It is far easier apparently to have undercover officers pose as cross-walkers and spring the trap and ticket our tax-paying residents.

How about springing a trap on the day workers that are there in plain sight on the corners every morning? How about arresting the guys in the trucks that stop and honk (darn honkies) to pick them up? Write down the business names and check their tax records. Put an end to it. That'll be a big step toward a quality of life improvement. it is really the only hope that the town has.

I dare them and you all should too.

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '13

Reggie Voter - Same stuff, different day. I dare you to give me their names, addresses, and immigration evidence. You already know who they are from your post, so all we need is your evidence. If you have no evidence, then how is anyone supposed to do anything? If you have no evidence, you're more of a problem than they are.

I get what you're saying Reggie, however, this is still america and I for one wouldn't tolerate the police, or anyone for that matter, stopping people and demanding them to prove their immigration status. Police need probable cause to do a "Terry" frisk.

skippy skippy
Nov '13

GC, what are you talkin' 'bout?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Nov '13

You hit the nail on the head Reggie....you have my vote for mayor !

"GC, what are you talkin' 'bout?"

In order to make your statement you must already know exactly who these people are and have proof of their status. So turn it over. If not, then you know nothing. Fairly simple.

Here we go again lets play the illegal card!

Christine Christine
Nov '13

What's up with the for sale sign in Demi's Biscotti window.

Emaxxman Emaxxman
Nov '13

Yes Reggie apparently since you don't have access to there personal records, and the police can not ask anyone for ID without probable cause you need to ignore what you eye's can plainly see, and what everyone knows. You have assume this town has no problem with illegal immigrants, just like the rest of the country. That is except for the times you see there names, and residential status posted on the Hackettstown Facebook PD page.

Denis Denis
Nov '13

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.