Bea McNally's Pub and Eatery, continued again

The second Bea McNally's thread got equally as long as the first. Let's start anew, starting now :-).

I haven't been yet, except to see my husband's band so I can't judge the food yet. So far, the atmosphere/ambiance satisifies me enough.

I think people had real high expectations for the new kid on the block (well, Grand Street), especially since they are billed as an authentic Irish pub.

Understandable, but as I've said before, let's give them a chance to adjust to new restaurant stumbling blocks. I'm sure they've read this forum but I give them credit for remaining silent. Hopefully silence will manifest in the changes you think they need.

In the meantime, I wish them well.

I have been there just about every weekend since they opened. I have not been impressed with the food at all. And I am far from picky! Anyways I love the bar scene, the music, and that's what keeps me going back.

S@hm
Mar '13

Lot's of happy people there tonight! They must be doing something right.

Firefly Firefly
Mar '13

I was told they are getting a new chef next week.

Conrad's Mom Conrad's Mom
Mar '13

I really hope they are in fact getting it together, but it would take a few weeks of consistent good reviews before I would trust it.

Gadfly Gadfly
Mar '13

"Teacher" leave those kids alone".

Hey, give them a couple of weeks to revise and refresh. I say no more bashing until tax day.

mistergoogle mistergoogle
Mar '13

Due to a lack of funds we have not been in there yet...but hoping in two weeks to go. Keep hoping people will keep going back so they stay!

acl76 acl76
Mar '13

Personally, I don't care if the food isn't the greatest. The bar has my business. I'm really enjoying a new place with it's fun live music and happening night scene.

villani villani
Mar '13

I didn't mean to sound like I didn't like the food at all. It was decent...not the best but not the worse. I have to eat there a couple more times to give a fair review. I think they just need time to iron things out. However, I don't think they are hurting. The few times out went out there to the bar area it's always been a FULL bar. Even on a Tuesday night..and all night.

villani villani
Mar '13

We ate there tonight for the first time and were very pleased. We were seated in a beautiful room down where the old Clarendon bar used to be. The building is beautiful - we're really impressed. We had a young male waiter who was excellent. Perfect timing, perfect attentiveness.

The beer menu was excellent. I'm also pleased to report we had a really nice meal. We had chicken fingers app. They're sort of more like a tempura batter than traditional, but it was really good. Very nice bbq sauce and mustard came with it. Very large portion.

One of us had a burger and the other a grilled chicken sandwich. Both were terrific. Prepared just as described - VERY generous portions given the prices ($9.00!).

We went in there knowing they're still new, and they're also a big venue. Either one of those things can make for a sketchy start, but our first experience was really terrific. We're thrilled to have such a nice and fun place in town, and we'll be there often in part due to the really big menu. We wish them much success!

4of4
Apr '13

Enjoyed eating at Bea McNally's. I am so happy we have a place like this in town! I wish them much success.

pampur pampur
Apr '13

Eight their last night. Service was good, burger with o-rings and Black & Tan were delicious!

My family and I have been there three times thus far and had, for the most part, pleasant experiences. The food and beer are very good as is most of the atmosphere. My only dislike is the front dining room with the blue wallpaper. It is too bright and quiet in there and does not fit with the Irish theme of the rest of the place. Our last visit we specifically requested not to sit in that room and told them we had no problem waiting for a table to open up in another area. When our buzzer went off, the hostess tried to seat us in there. We reminded her again that we didn't want to sit in there so we sat and waited for round two.

I love eating out but I am very picky on where I sit. I

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '13

i been there and got sick on fish and chips,seems they were saturated in oil with discolor,also emailed them to let them know but never got a response,go figure for a new place

jim kop jim kop
Apr '13

Had drinks and an app sampler there last night. It was my first time there.

I was very impressed with the appearance of the interior. They did a fabulous job remodeling. The bar area Is classy while still being friendly and inviting. There are plenty of TVs to satisfy thesports fans, but they are not obnoxious.

I was also extremely impressed with their selection of draught beers, and more than satisfied by their selection of wines by the glass and high end hooch. I was pleased to find that they had my favorite bourbon!

I can't say that I was quite as impressed by the food. The service was prompt and the food was hot. The buffalo wings and black and tan onion rings were very good. The money bags were ok, but nothing to write home about. I didn't care for the mozzarella triangles or blue cheese fries at all.

All in the all the place definitely earned a second visit from me. I look forward to trying their clam chowder and fish and chips.

Gadfly Gadfly
Apr '13

Just went there tonight, and the food and service were great! I had Shepherd's Pie (delicious), and my son had a pulled pork sandwich that he really enjoyed. He also said the fries were much improved over his first visit. Obviously, the new chef has worked wonders. Plus, our waiter was wonderful!

If you visited early on and were disappointed, please consider giving them a second chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

brucefan brucefan
Apr '13

The clam chowder was great and I had the angus sliders. They were dry. I did enjoy the rueben sliders because they were more flavorful. Will be back to try more food.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Apr '13

went yesterday afternoon, sat at the bar and shared a sampler with a friend. Sorry to say not worth it.(everything was soggy,oily and cold.) triangles, bags, calamari, and fingers. A little disappointed.

scoop scoop
Apr '13

The triangles are to die for.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '13

Treat it for what it is....a bar.

Fixer
Apr '13

Also ate there yesterday. Our table got a Bea's Platter, which was even better than the first time I had it. I got the fish and chips, and it was absolutely delicious. My wife ate the pastrami panini (based on my recommendation) and she thought it was great. My son had dino bites, and I assume he was impressed that they baked them rather than microwaving them like Mommy and Daddy.

Four trips, and four really good experiences.

I have eaten the appetizers: thai chicken and the calamari. .both were really good when I went.. haven't had a "dinner" there.. bar section is fun when a good band is playing.

darlughh darlughh
Apr '13

darluggh - My friend's band The Wrecks, (the one we went to see up at Pub 517) is inquiring about playing at Bea's. I will keep you posted. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

thanks Cali :)

darlughh darlughh
Apr '13

I took my family to Bea's for Easter Brunch. I had to admit I really enjoyed it. The wait staff was extremely friendly. I liked the buffet option because now I know what I want try next time! The deserts were out of this world. The carving stations were perfect for those not looking for traditional Irish fare. I've been having a series of mouth issues and Bea's helped me with selections that I could eat. I will definitely be back and I can't wait!

red76nj red76nj
Apr '13

very happy with the bar are (havent eaten there yet). My only suggestion/gripe... turn the lights down! way too bright for a bar

dabozzzz dabozzzz
Apr '13

Second chance. Went there with the ladies for lunch and ate at the bar – I do think it’s a great room but the loud, crappy music they were playing was really annoying. Anyway. I had fish and chips and the fries were certainly an improvement over my first visit a few weeks ago. The fish was a real disappointment. Three nice, white pieces of meat hidden by a thick soggy coating of oily breading. The paper was literally dripping and saturated with grease – yuck. I couldn’t even finish one piece. And yes, I did share my opinion (and drippy paper) with the bartender who appreciated the feedback.

The other ladies had a tuna burger (great wasabi sauce), turkey burger (shrug), and shepherd’s pie (good fresh, but unappetizing leftovers the next day). The general consensus is that overall, the food was OK. Spectacularly mediocre. Certainly nothing special.

Bea’s is a nice looking place, and with their advertising as an “Authentic Irish Pub”, I just expect a lot more with the quality of the food. I want Bea’s to make me WANT to come back for the delicious food – not because of the interior design or because I want to keep giving them a chance to succeed. C’mon. Impress me. Maybe three times charm?

honey badger honey badger
Apr '13

IDK, I never assumed Bea's to be a "gastro pub". I assumed it to be an Irish Pub. Let's be honest the Irish and English are not really known for their food (no offense meant). As long as it's decent food, it's better than going to Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday's IMO. Most Irish pubs I have eaten at over the years were not gourmet in the least.

If you are looking for an Irish run place with a little more of a food twist, try Kennedy's on Water St. in Belvidere. It's a cute little BYOB with Irish specialties and daily specials.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

Calico, I think you hit the nail on the head. Well said! Bea's is NOT a gastropub and I think that's what everyone was hoping for. Take it for what it is.

Besides, if you drink enough of great beer, anything will taste good...LOL.

Jules Jules
Apr '13

"Let's be honest the Irish and English are not really known for their food (no offense meant)."

But the English are known for their fish and chips....which so far seems to be a dud. Also, when they charge $15 for it, they need to execute well. I can get fried fish at Long John Silvers for less than that and it's not soggy. Certainly a place marketed as "upscale" can do just as well.

Then again, it seems like lots of folks are simply happy to just have another place to get drunk at. It may do well based on just that.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

I don't get the impression that anyone expected Bea's to be gourmet, but people do expect quality, decent food. There are plenty of english and irish places around with very good food, including The Quiet Man in Dover, The Ship Inn in Milford, and Mannion's in Somerville. I've only been to Bea's one so far, but the food I had was no better than Applebee's or Ruby Tuesdays. (and I hate those places)

gadfly gadfly
Apr '13

I think most of the Fish n Chips I have had in London has been unforgetably dripping in oil. Even at a posh place.

But most important --- English food stinks and the Irish are not far behind. Hey, but what do I know; I have a lot of slavic heritage and it looks better than home to me!

Apr '13

My mother was English, and she was not a good cook. LOL

emaxx - What's wrong with another place to suck down a few cold ones? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

I could not wait to go and was very concerned after bad reviews. I ended up being discouraged also. I had the fish n chips. I will say that I did not feel they were using actual Cod and or Scrod. The fish was a different texture and coloring. It was more like a Mahi Mahi or Catfish consistency. The batter was somewhat what I expected due to it being a beer batter. The fish also seemed water logged or boiled. I did not have the over oily experience but it was very wet. I did think maybe that was the authentic way it was prepared and I was missing something? I have never had fish n chips like that before. They were very understanding about the complaint. I have a feeling many have complained about it,
On my next visit, I just did a sampler platter and enjoyed everything. The only gripe was the lucky bags could use some more stuff inside. They were good though. Loved the bartender and waitresses.

youngnfresh youngnfresh
Apr '13

ok, ok, ok, maybe I don't get out enough,

but just what is this 'GASTROPUB' you keep talking about? I am not familiar with the term.

is it someplace that has a lot of fried onion and fried mushroom appetizers?

or is it like that 'heart-attack grill' that keeps losing their new spokesmen to heart attacks?

after fish and chips the English are just about done, maybe cook up some Yorkshire pudding and some meat pies. Is Haggis(sp) just a Scottish thing or what?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '13

BD - You forgot bubble and squeak.

Regarding Gastropub, Wiki is your friend. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastropub

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

"Gastropub" is how the restaurant Salt up in Byram refers to itself. The idea is that its a laid back pub atmosphere with gourmet food. While I find "gastropub" a little obnoxious, its an apt description of that restaurant, which I think is one of the best around.

Oh, and for those of you that like Fish and Chips, try them at Salt. They are unbelievable.

gadfly gadfly
Apr '13

ok, gastrpub is a good thing,

the term by itself conveys 'greasy spoon', but that's not the case

usually in my life, as soon words like 'high end' and 'upscale' start being bandied about, I usually get off the bus a few stops before we get there.

give me a pool table and some mugs of daft beer and i'll follow you almost anywhere.

thanks for the elucidation, 'gastro-', who knew?

wishing the new place all the success that life can bring, we need good businesses in our little town

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Apr '13

Ive had fish n chips on the outskirts of London several times and it was very good and not oily at all. Havnt tried it yet at Bea's because I just dont want to be annoyed. On another note Ive had burgers twice at bea's and they were fairly good but Marleys does have better. the apple pie at bea's is very good but on the small side.

jerseycash5
Apr '13

The place doesn't have to be a grastropub to have well executed food. Gastropub just means a pub with some non-traditional pub fare. We're talking about fried fish here. I was cooking fried fish at 16 as a short order cook at a mom and pop place in my hometown. It's not that hard.

BTW,Bea's is more than just a pub:
Truffle Bleu cheese fries
Wasabi calamari
mac and cheese with black truffels
roasted short ribs
Thai steak salad
roast pork belly

To be fair, I'm not criticizing them. It's just some of the comments are strange. I hope this place succeeds and the food quality improves. Their menu sounds very good and I'm glad it's not just pub fare. I haven't had a chance to try them yet as I'm reluctant to plop down $15 for the fish (which is what I want to try) given the mediocre reviews.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

I hope people aren't scared away from the reviews. Otherwise, we'll have another empty building in town and people pining for the "good ole days..."

Food is OK, décor and service very good.

Agree about the fish and chips - nice piece of fish but batter must be too thick, since between the crust and the fish there's a significant raw-batter layer in spots.

When in bars, stick to the simple things...

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Apr '13

"When in bars, stick to the simple things..."

See, I don't get this. Is this place supposed to be a bar that serves food, or a restaurant that has a bar?

Sounds to me like most people don't care how bad the food is as long as the booze is flowing. With that said, it doesn't seem like Bea's will suffer as long as people keep drinking. Since alcohol isn't a priority for me, I guess I'm not the target customer of this establishment.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '13

You definitely cannot call this place a bar. The dining area is twice the size of most restaurants. That's been part of their problem.

gadfly gadfly
Apr '13

40 beers on tap screams "DRINKERS" to me. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

So to all who've criticized, where did you go before, and in addition to Bea's?

There is no shortage of decent food around:

Nicer places:
Circa
Tewksbury Inn
Gladstone Tavern
Brasserie 513

Casual:
Salt
Tony's Bistro
Old Mill Tavern
LVPB
Pub 517

Ethnic:
Pandam Room (and the sister place in LV)
Thai Kitchen
Taste of India
Fujiyama

gadfly gadfly
Apr '13

Personally, I would not be going there for the food - like gadfly and others have mentioned there is good food many places.

I think that Bea's is trying to be both a restaurant and a bar. The target customer is going to change at different times of day.

During the day it's a great place for retired folks to go for lunch or a very nice local place for a business lunch. It's quiet, the decor is upscale and lovely to look at it and no one is going to rush your out of the door, at happy hour time you will see a mix of ages but seems to be the 40 and up crowd - lot's of men that like to have a beer and something to eat at the bar and watch a game - later in the evening in becomes more of a college aged and dancing kind of crowd.

Do they need to work on the food? Yes it sounds like it. (Although many are happy with their meals.) They probably need to find a new supplier for a few of their items ( like the fish). Otherwise find something you like on the menu and enjoy having a nice local place to meet up with friends or to meet new ones.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

The;y also need to work on plating (at least for my liking). They "slap" a very small/unappetizing looking sandwich on a plate for somewhere around $9 and don't even have the common courtesy to pile it with meat. A corned beef reuben should contain lots of moist juicy corned beef with melted swiss, kraut and russian dressing. Not just 2 or 3 slices of corned beef and "there ya go,"bucko" (and whatever else that they decide should go on a reuben) and for cryin' out loud... plate it nice!!! How 'bout a pickle! "woo-hooooo". How 'bout a "world class cole slaw" or potato salad? Where's the LOVE behind this food deal inside Bea McNally's? It's just so pitiful. And the fish and chips? Ive never heard of fish and chips being "allowed" to be oily. Nice sized fish and chips- again with some type of slaw perhaps. Im just waiting because I KNOW that all of the kinks will be worked out. I just know it. But for now it's just plain unacceptable. I so wish them well and can't wait to again go back and with bells on. Signed, Hopeful in Hackettstown

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Apr '13

Ate there tonight for the first time no wait great food and great service.

NJ Devils fan
Apr '13

Speaking of Salt ~ I think the food needs some seasoning as well. I usually don't add salt to my food and it was absolutely necessary when I went o/w it didn't taste like anything at all.

Keep working on it --- it'll come together . . hopefully, sooner rather than later.

happy2bhere happy2bhere
Apr '13

3 of us went tonight after the good experience 2 of us had last week. Again - a very good experience.

Beverage orders were taken and delivered quickly.

Good pacing asking us if we were ready to place the food order, and the app came out in a very reasonable time - not too fast, not too slow.

The red pepper & artichoke app was *excellent*. 2 of us really liked the chips it came with - sort of a deep fried wonton. 1 thought the chips could be dryer like a pita chip.

We had Guinness Beef Stew and Shepherd's Pie (2 of our group had the same).
1 found the Shepherd's Pie quite good; the other thought it was bland. The portion was quite large. Nice appearance and presentation. The Guinness Stew was HUGE with a large portion of mashed potatoes on top. We easily have 2 rounds of leftovers from it. The Guinness flavor was evident. Quite good - not over the top wonderful - but we decided we'd order it again. However, the menu is quite large, so it'll be a while before we circle back to it. Like last week's sandwiches, the portions were just huge, and we'll be eating leftovers for a day or so.

The staff was very attentive and friendly, and again - the place is just sooooo nicely decorated. The place was hopping but not quite filled to capacity. We'll be back next week or so. We'll likely be trying salads since we've been hitting the high calorie items so far!

We're very glad to have them in town!

4of4
Apr '13

We were there a few weeks ago. Had the fish & chips and my husband had the bangers & mash. Both were great and plenty of food! We also had the corned beef & cabbage purses for an appetizer - very tasty!
Going again tonight!

Pattycakes Pattycakes
Apr '13

Just returned from our first visit to Bea McNally's. Absolutely no complaints. The appetizers (Onion Rings and Moneybags) were very good and plentiful. I had the Fish 'n Chips and thought it was very good. Three large pieces of fish and the fries were excellent. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to return. The Irish music was acceptable, considering the venue, but it was just a little louder than necessary. The service was excellent and friendly. Took a walk around the restaurant before leaving and was very impressed. I was there 15+ years ago when it was still the Clarendon. No expense was spared in the remodel. A very satisfying experience.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Apr '13

Really, how can you mess up onion rings...

iJay3 iJay3
Apr '13

Good food? yes, worth the price? no. fish and chips were very good. just not worth the prices they charge

bluelinr bluelinr
Apr '13

Has anyone gone with a large party (around 16-20 ppl)?
And have any experience to share. Considering going there
After a special event....a little nervous to do it but would like to
Give them a chance...

Townies Townies
Apr '13

Townies..If I were going to do that I would call ahead and posssibly pre-order. Talk to them. A group of 20 can be tough to manage without warning. Maybe order some apps to get you guys started when you arrive and are looking over the menu.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

Very expensive, ordered 2 fish & chips dinners take out to a tune of 33 bucks & was very disappointed because it was so greasy yuk!! Was not cod fish, the batter was dark & not light or crispy, the fries were like burger king, dry & had this gritty flakes on top of them AWFUL & NO cole slaw. 90% went in the garbage. I got a good meal for less from Charlie Browns & Red Lobster. NO NO we will NOT go back there again. You have to be polluted to go there & eat , this way you won't know what your tasting or know your being rip off ! They need to bounce out of here & red lobster bounce in.

tangerine tangerine
Apr '13

Praise for Red Lobster = zero credibility with me. No offense...

No worse chain restaurant exists on this planet or any other... except maybe Waffle House, and I would almost bet that they could produce better crab legs than Red Lobster, lol.

Take-out fish and chips? That's a recipe for disaster from the get-go. Fried foods don't hold up well in take-out containers.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

+1 ianimal...Red Lobster for seafood is like Olive Garden for Italian food.

Yuck.

Jules Jules
Apr '13

+1 ianimal and Jules. Double yuck!! LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

Red Lobster is gross.

I would never order fish and chips or anything battered and fried to go. Does not travel well IMHO. I think you made a bad choice.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

whoops just realised I repeated almost exactly what ianimal said. I hate when someone does that...let's just say I agree with ianimal

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

Red lobster is a dump Tangerine. I agree with iamimal. Fish and chips to go???
That's hilarious, serves you right.

Mike18 Mike18
Apr '13

Any normal person would have sat at the bar and downed a few pints of good ole beer with the fish n chips.

jerseycash5
Apr '13

You can defend Bea's all you want but I am across the street from Bea's. Our dinners didn't have time to get soggy,it was soggy from the beginning with lots of grease.I'm NOT saying I tried other dishes there but for me once was enough. Too expensive to get burned again. I've order fish & chip dinners from the fire house in mountain lakes & that was a ride back & it was alot better & those guys are not professional cooks, plus it was a better quality of fish for less money. I've never ordered fish & chips at Red but what I did order there I never got stuck. Bea put 1 Onion ring on the top of the fish, where that fit in I don't know, but it smelled & tasted of stale beer/ tavern & soggy. Made me gag, glad I wasn't a AA member I would of had a relasp. Sorry, just can't get over it. Thanks for listening. Olive garden is awful agreed. No need to voice your opinion everyone has one. Save your voice for the threads you posted about the sub shack & the bakeries etc. I'll say it again like I did on all those threads, you don't know whats good.

tangerine tangerine
Apr '13

Just what we need another chain!

I agree ianimal....red Lobster seriously? YUCKY!

Christine Christine
Apr '13

Had a terrible salad (I know impossible ) and the French onion was like hot dishwater with cheese over the top.

They need to fire the chef again

Mike18 Mike18
Apr '13

I ate there for the second time Friday night. I had the grilled chicken sandwich and it was very good. Grilled chicken, roasted red peppers and brie on focaccia bread. My dining companion had the tuna burger and said it was very good. It was very lively in there, but not super crowded. My friend and I enjoyed the Leinenkugel seasonal beers they had on tap. Once the Canoe Paddler kicked, we switched to Summer Shandy. :)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

My husband and I ate at Bea's for the first time this weekend. Wow, the place looks great! As for the food... We got the waffle fries w/bacon & cheese for our appetizer. I could take it or leave it (probably leave it) but my husband enjoyed it. The ones on top were room temp at best, but the ones on the bottom were actually hot. For dinner my husband got a skirt steak topped with onions (comes with mushrooms too but he requested not to have them). I thought it was odd that they didn't ask how he wanted his steak cooked, but had it been me I'd have made sure they knew how I wanted it. It was pretty darn pink in the middle, but he was ok with that and liked his meal. I had a salad with mixed greens, pear, grilled chicken, candied almonds, dried cranberries, gorgonzola, and balsamic dressing (also comes with black olives, which I passed on). I loved my salad. I ended up wishing I'd passed on having some of the waffle fries so that I'd have had enough room to finish my salad. I'll definitely go again :)

Lori...since '73 Lori...since '73
Apr '13

I go there for the beer. The food is pretty much just like any bar/restaurant... I don't buy steak at a bar, I go to a steakhouse. I'm still waiting for Bea's burger to beat Marley's, but it hasn't yet. Marley's chop chop salad also rules.

But Marley's can't touch Bea's if your a beer person. I see it as another good place to go that ISN'T a Ruby Tuesdays or Applebees. (altho you can get good burgers at both of those as well.)

Calico-
Canoe Paddler is my new favorite beer! I was there sat, and I was pissed that it had kicked!! It's a spring/summer seasonal- they'd BETTER get more in!!! I like everything Leinenkugel's.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '13

We were discussing this this weekend... for a town the size of Hackettstown, we have an astonishingly large selection of good to excellent restaurants... Mattars, Prickly Pear, Marleys, Beas, Pandan Room, Mamas, Pump House, Fujiyama, Stella G's, Enzo's, I'll even include Bensi. And of course Ruby's and Applebees, national chains tho they are.

If you can't find a good to great meal in Hackettstown, you're either not very hungry or too picky to be bothered with.

And now, a moment of silence for my beloved Smokehouse, the only great BBQ in the area, never to return... -sniff-

Apr '13

Lori, a well-done grilled skirt steak really isn't suitable for human consumption. It can, however, be used to re-sole your shoes (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

Jeff, have you tried Old West BBQ in Clinton Township? It might be a 25-30 minute ride from H-town, but it's way better than Smokehouse ever was...

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

I have. HATED it. Didn't think it was anywhere near the quality of Smokehouse's meat or sauce.

Maybe the one time I went was a fluke, but the wife and I agreed if it wasn't, there was no point in ever going back.

Apr '13

JR - Hopefully they will alternate between the Canoe Paddler and the Summer Shandy.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

Friends and I have been to Bea's twice and both times it was, in our opinion,it was very good; good prices and good portions enjoyed in a great atmosphere. JR, my hub and I agree regarding Smokehouse; it was good, local, and we miss the place. As always, each posters opinion is just that "an opinion" and nothing more whether it be restaurant reviews, Main Street commentary, etc.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Apr '13

Sorry Tangerine, If your idea of a good seafood meal consists of Red Lobster, I will pass on your critique.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Apr '13

JR - You can still get Smokehouse on 206 in Andover. It's more like a truck stop/roadside type of place than a restaurant but it's the same BBQ.

I would add the Panther Pub to the list of very good places. Haven't seen it talked about much lately but the 2 times i was there i liked it a lot.

As far as Bea's i went there for a few drinks a few weeks ago. Didn't have any food yet but obviously the place is really nice with a great beer selection.

Bryan Bryan
Apr '13

Wow, Jeff, I'm surprised... not that you preferred the Smokehouse, but that you had that bad an experience at OWBBQ.

I've eaten there a dozen times (mostly for lunch - it's right up the road from my office) and tried just about everything (St. Louis and babyback ribs, brisket, pulled pork, wings, fried chicken and even their "Texas Red" chili)... everything was above-average to exceptional.

I liked Smokehouse, too... and I missed it when it went out of business. Hell, I even liked it when it was Stumpy's (-;

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

How did I miss you Calico. Bergey and I went to Beas on Friday.. I had the crab cake sandwich with fries.it was very good. Bergey had the 2 crab cakes and a salad instead of fries. He loved it and the salad was really good. Loved the balsamic dressing. I had a coconut colada. Enjoyed it a lot. I splurged and got the bread pudding. Nice and warm an had a peach sauce on it that was good. We were served and seated reasonable time and stayed to listen to the band for a bit which was good. We like the place a lot. I am beginning to find my favorite foods and beers just like any other restaurant. BTW they had a new menu launched Friday night. Some deleted items and some added items. LOVED the selections.

Christine Christine
Apr '13

Christine - You must have gone fairly late. We left around 9:45, the band hadn't gone on yet.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '13

Christine, that explains it. I was wondering what was up when I looked at the menu today prior to posting and it wasn't the same menu I'd gotten Friday night. Online the appetizer we got wasn't listed, I didn't see the steak my husband had, and the salad I got, though the description is the same on both menus, had a different name. I find the name change pretty silly... I wonder if the prices are different, Hmmm...

Apr '13

Yep Calico a little later.

Lori, I like the new menu more of a variety. We don't go out much but when we do we really like quality and a good price. I find that Beas stands up to both in the 2 times we have been there. Its like other restaurants we frequent we have our favorites.

Christine Christine
Apr '13

They updated the menu recently. The entree's have now been determined and are included. They no longer have the Tuna Nacho's, but the beef nachos are decent. They also changed the sampler, to be from a specific list not any of the listed appetizers.

I've been there 5-6 times now, mostly for lunch and once with friends for a late dinner, always sitting at the bar tables (The high stools suit my knee issues better.) The beer and service have always been outstanding, there were a couple hitches with the food but never had a "bad meal" or anything that caused me to complain. (Once the blue cheese fires were only warm, not hot. We still finished them and the flavor was still great.) They offered to remove them from the bill but I declined, after all we ate them and enjoyed them.

When I went to dinner we purposely tried 4 different entree special, so we could all try a little of each. They were all very good and I see they added all four to the menu as regular entrees. The new chef appears to have been a good addition. We had the sampler and they were all great. (I'll miss the tuna nachos, they were quite good to me. My wife and friends did not like them, so I just have funky taste and can live with that.)

My kids (all legal adults) have been to the bar a few times late and they like the fun atmosphere and crowd that is sometimes 3-4 deep at the bar. Lots of young adults from the college and apparently quite a "happening" place.

So far they appear to be doing the right things, trying new things occasionally and changing things that do not work. That to me is the sign of creative people who are fated to succeed. In addition I like the decor and the fact that they are proving to be fairly good neighbors so far. (That's not trivial as someone who lives two blocks away.)

Agust Agust
Apr '13

Bryan- yes! totally forgor about Panther Pub. We've also had nothing but good experiences there. I have had the BBQ from Andover Smokehouse, but we liked going to the place in Independence as well...

IA- I should give Old West BBQ one more try before writing it off...

Apr '13

Bea's took the sliders off the menu. :( They were awesome. Very disappointed...

Apr '13

Had a great night at Bea's this past Sat. Great food(pizza, calamari, quesadillas & fish and chips)
excellent service
And our bartender Mike was awesome!

Townies Townies
Apr '13

The husband and I were there for lunch last Thursday. It was pretty busy. The place is nicely decorated with all the different dining rooms. I think ours was the loudest though. Service was great and the hostess came by a couple of times to make sure all was fine.

We had the wasabi calamari and Thai chicken skewer for appetizers, both very good with the exception that the skewer was burnt so it broke off when you picked it up. I had the Fish n Chip and he had the Shepard's Pie. We both enjoyed our meal. For dessert I had the chocolate and banana pie and hubby the bread pudding. I enjoyed bread pudding more, though we couldn't figure out was the syrup was, thank Christine!

We will definitely go back.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Apr '13

We've ordered take out twice and eaten their twice- I'm a big fan of their sandwich selection. I've had their chicken sandwich and the tuna burger and loved them both. The "lucky bags" appetizer is great and something a little different that you wouldn't find somewhere else. My mother had the beet salad and really liked that also. My only complaint would actually be with the staff more than the food... CLEARLY people (of all ages) with NO experience in food service because I've never had someone bring the wrong beverage (water instead of a diet soda for my friend) THREE times in one night! (I thought that seemed a little bizarre) And then the same server managed to charge my friend's card THREE times... guess she was making up for those extra trips to the soda machine ;) Clearly it got fixed an no major damage... but boy oh boy do they need some training!

Stefanie Stefanie
Apr '13

Beas is fantastic .. I'm shocked at how everyone is so critical of every detail of a brand new restaurant .. My husband is the new head chef there and has changed the entire menu and every night the restaurant is packed. Last Saturday there was a 1 1/2 hour wait just to be seated .. So anyone reading all the terrible reviews, please don't go by them .. The place is great , the bar area is really nice, the prices are very reasonable, and the location is fantastic .. Hackettstown needed this restaurant and I know so many families in town that love it there ..

Jennifer Jennifer
Apr '13

Thank you Jennifer. Best to your hubby.

Nice Bar! I have eaten there more than I should have because they draw a nice beer! Food sucks still!

notafan notafan
Apr '13

Jennifer shouldn't you be happy people were critical. I would assume it is customer feed back that opened the opportunity to become the new chef there.

jdem, exactly!

Besides, there's nothing wrong with people giving their critique. It was THEIR experience, not ours. Unless we were standing at their table observing them while ordering/eating their meal, we can't say whether they were right or wrong... sheesh!

Some people are so thinned skinned. I don't know how they make it in today's world. Not everyone wears kid gloves...

Apr '13

went to Beas for lunch last week
enjoyed the ambience and food.

reader reader
Apr '13

Food is not good there because the management is not buying quality products and ingredients. They're cutting corners and its showing. I've been very blessed to travel all over this country and world dining at food carts in Asia, to Le Bernandin in NYC and everything in between.

Bea McNally's will end up just being a drinking establishment in Hackettstown unless they make some real changes.

Mike18 Mike18
Apr '13

Jennifer, glad to hear your husband is doing well and revamping the menu. Not glad to hear there is still a 90 minute wait for a table. Had plans with friends to eat there this weekend. Honestly, I don't really have the patience to wait 90 minutes for a meal at any restaurant.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '13

Hi Jennifer, Don't be discouraged by the negative comments you read on this site. Actually, the overwhelming commentary regarding Bea's is positive. I've been to Bea's a few times with friends. Everyone enjoyed the atmosphere, the food, and the drink we had with our meals. The wait staff is good, and the the prices are very reasonable. The Bea's experience is a good overall value for the $$. People who are critical of Bea's are merely offering their personal opinions and nothing more. As far as I know, they are not food critics or paid and published restaurant reviewers. Good Luck to Bea's and Good Luck to your husband. May they both Prosper.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Apr '13

If people are waiting 90 mins for a table then it's time to take reservations at least for one or 2 of the dining rooms. Seems like a simple concept to me. Give them 15 mins to show and move to a walk in customer.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

It all depends on the reason for the 90 minutes. If people who are seated are still waiting hours for their meals on a busy night, then the 90 minute wait is not due to a good thing. If the wait is because they are getting tables served promptly and the business is fantastic, then that is a good thing.

I ate there 2 weeks ago. It was Saturday at 3pm. 3 people in the party. The place was fairly empty. We were seated in one of the front dining rooms (both rooms were empty). We ordered:
- Buffalo wings - arrived to the table within 10 minutes of ordering. Good size and cooked to a crispy finish without drying it out. Sauce was good but nowhere near spicy. Needs a kick.
- For entrees, son got the kid's sliders, I got the burger, and dad got the tuna burger. There was a mixup in the kitchen and we waited almost 40 minutes for the food. Once the food runner notified us, the food came out within 5 minutes.

Kid's sliders were on the larger side for a slider. The meat was well done so it looked dry to me. If you like well-done burgers, I'm sure you'll like them. My son liked them.

My burger was pretty good. It was medium-rare like I asked for and juicy but not overly greasy. I thought the fries were great. They have that "seasoned fry" look and crunch to them but weren't actually seasoned (if that makes sense.) For $9, not a bad deal. I still like Mattar's and Marley's burgers more but I would have no issues ordering the burger again.

My dad's tuna burger looked good too. He liked it. It came with wasabi on it, which I don't like, so I didn't try it.

We also had the mint iced tea which I thought was pretty good. The mint wasn't overly evident which is good since it can overpower things.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience despite the mix-up. I would probably have concerns going on a busy Friday or Saturday night but for now, i wouldn't hesitate to go there for lunch or watch a football game at the bar. Just get some spicier wing sauce and I'll be all set.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '13

I've been to Bea McNally's twice now (lunch and dinner) and have enjoyed it each time. The place is gorgeous inside, the wait staff is excellent, and the food is delicious!

Last night it was very busy, but I didn't see people waiting a long time for tables.
We had a large-ish group (8-9) and we were able to make a reservation for a certain table where we knew we could fit comfortably. They were very accommodating. I really enjoyed the fish and chips (including the bonus onion ring) last night, and the goat cheese salad with salmon I had a couple of weeks ago was fabulous. That sweet balsamic dressing is really good, and I'm not a big balsamic vinegar fan.

Obviously there are going to be hiccups with a new place, and, if there are problems, I will always be patient and continue trying. It's too bad that other people won't, but that is their choice, of course! I subscribe to the motto that, if it's good, tell others; if it's not, tell the management directly.

I would like to encourage the owners and staff not to take what's written here too much to heart -- there will always be complainers -- and, honestly, I would doubt that most people would use this forum as the sole arbiter for their own decisions.

Obviously Hackettstown needs a place like this, and I wish only the best to the owners, the new chef, and the rest of the staff.

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Apr '13

Hopeful....were you in my party?

Nicholas Nicholas
Apr '13

I have not gone yet and have found it excellent. The food has surpassed my expectations and the staff is as friendly and professional as I ever imagined. The chips were not greazey, there was as much tuna as I expected, and the beers tasted like none I have never had. One of the best meals there never was.

The second time I did not go it was not as good as the first. I think the anticipation of not going the first time overwhelmed my not turning up the second time. I found I was missing the food and the staff was no where to be found.

All in all, has to be the best meal I never had, bar none.

Apr '13

No, Nicholas -- our server was a woman. But I've seen how hard you all work -- so I'm sure your parties were happy, too!

Hopeful in H-town Hopeful in H-town
Apr '13

So we finally bit the bullet and had dinner at Bea's tonight. We arrived at 7pm and were told it was a 35-40 minute wait. Our friends were running late anyway, so we waited. There is plenty of seating for the people waiting for tables, thankfully. The wait ended up being closer to 50 minutes by the time we were seated. We were hearing wait times of over an hour after we arrived though, but after we were seated, the place seemed to start emptying out. I think there were several large parties throughout the restaurant that were taking up a lot of the tables.

I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich and it was good. I didn't find the French fries anything like Emaxx described above. They were unseasoned thick cut fries. Nothing special at all. My husband got the chicken pot pie and he enjoyed it except for the mushrooms that he picked out. Not Bea's fault. One of our friends ordered the ribeye steak ?, which was huge and reasonable at $22. He got his with sweet potato fries and he really enjoyed them. Those looked seasoned. Our other friend ordered the crab cakes and received the crab cake sandwich. She wasn't expecting the sandwich, but she enjoyed the crab cake and really liked the spicy ketchup it came with. It was 30 minutes from when we ordered our food until it arrived. Our server was very friendly and efficient.

Overall, I'm glad we finally got to try this place. I'm not sure I'm going to rush right out and try it again, at least not on a Saturday night. There were other things on the menu that looked good and the prices are generally reasonable. The place is really cute with lots of nooks and crannies.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '13

We went last night for the first time and could not be happier with the food and service.

JD 4020 JD 4020
Apr '13

Mister google, you painting the closet with the door closed again?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '13

So I've been 3 times and I think the food is just OK. First visit I had Short Ribs which were delicious!! Boyfriend had Shephard's Pie, he said he would order it again. I tasted, it was OK, but the look was very unappealing. Sis only had Onion Rings which were not very crispy and I personally didn't like the Guiness flavor; she also had the Grilled Romaine salad, not very good--Ranch dressing seemed homemade and was pretty awful. Waitress was great!

Second visit I had Chicken Pot pie. Loved the flavor and all the veges, especially the mushrooms, but my problem was with the gravy--it was so dang thick that it absorbed into everything; I like when there's lots of gravy to dip the crust into. Also had clam chowder. My boyfriend had it twice there and liked it the first time, second time it was very runny (we informed manager/owner). Mine was on the thin side as well and was very bland. The manager came to clear the table and when he saw I didn't finish the soup, He said "didn't like the soup?". I voiced my issues with it. A bit disappointed he didn't comp it. I'm not looking for hand outs, but it would have been a nice gesture and gone a long way with me. Mom had Corned Beef and Cabbage. She loved the corned beef and there was a ton of it! However, the cabbage was undercooked, very hard. Potatoes were fine but not served with butter. The best thing I've had there was the dessert called Eaton Mess!! Mom and I loved it!!

Third visit was last nite. Sis and I split Quesadiila which was actually really very good. I had Goat Cheese salad and loved it!! The dressing was delicious. When I asked the waitress for a to go box and a lid for my dressing, shea actually brought me 2 fresh cups of dressing. Thought that was great. Sis had Pear Salad; false advertising, they say roasted pears, they were not roasted nor were they fresh, they definitely appeared to be unsweetened canned.

Each visit I voiced my thoughts to 3 different managers. I shared both the good stuff and the bad.

All in all, food is subpar. I'm very disappointed because I wanted another good local eatery, not a bar. I will go back but if there isn't any improvement and maintained consistency in food, I probably would only go back for a drink.

Lifeistooshort Lifeistooshort
Apr '13

I want so badly to enjoy this restaurant, I really do. I've gone twice now and I still can't say I've had a 'good' meal. The managers did come around and how our meal was and when they saw my barely touched meal, asked what was wrong about it and took the problem and rephrased it as a suggestion for the cook. My soup was removed off the check after I found a hair baked into the cheese. I can say that the beer sampler was a nice treat. Nothing that we've had there so far was something to write home about, especially after paying $70 for food prepared with the same intentions as a highway side diner.

The actual physical restaurant is gorgeous however. Another suggestion.... bring in friendly, bubbly staff. Also, let parties know which room you are bring them to before making older couples climb down the stairs for no need when they really wanted a booth. And just a word of advice for the young blond hostess, do not roll youreyes and make faces when you turn your back to a table after they ask for modifications. Because when others see that, you lose all credibility.

foodie
Apr '13

Had a great meal with bubbly friendly service yesterday. Very excited for a new choice in town. Decorated fabulously.

observer2 observer2
Apr '13

@foodie, your last two sentences speak volumes.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '13

The girls that do the seating are young girls probably working their very first job and while I agree that it's inapporpriate behavior you need to cut them a break as I imagine they deal with difficult diners every day. I am sure that you did some similar things when you were 17/18. Also - in general you told us 2 suggestions "Also, let parties know which room you are bring them to before making older couples climb down the stairs for no need when they really wanted a booth. And just a word of advice for the young blond hostess, do not roll youreyes and make faces when you turn your back to a table after they ask for modifications" but did you tell the management staff the same thing. Next time here or anywhere it would be helpful if you mentioned that you would like a booth or to see in a quiet area or not next to children or whater. They cannot read your mind about your seating preferences.

Losing credability as a hostess? Do you think that someone is going to make a career out of this job?

I was there last night also and think the staff do a fantastic job keeping that many people happy. Food delivery was quick and staff was super friendly.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

Actually Firefly, I was quite happy where we were seated. However, I watched this occur 3 different times with different parties. As for the age of employees, I was unaware that being 17 or 18 made one exempt from professional behavior in any position.

I will say the potential is there, just not reaching it yet. I will stop at the bar here and there if I want an excellent selection of drinks and some apps and greasy bar food, but not for a full, entree meal for a few more months.

foodie
Apr '13

foodie..so you are complaining about the seating arrangements for someone else. Again, maybe those 3 groups should have told the hostess prior to her seating them. At 17 she probably was thinking the same thing. Not sure if you know but servers work "stations" and the hostess needs to keep the tables even or she will hear is from the serversCommon sense is ageless and either you have it or you don't. Wish more people did.......wait for it....here it comes. *sigh*

and age does not make them exempt and I didn't say it did. What I am saying is that had you mentioned your complaint to a manager about the hostess that it would be addressed and most likely not happen again. Children need to be taught what is appropriate. Just like you teach your child not to pick their nose when they are 4 the same teaching needs to be done in each and every new situation or setting for all children.

Firefly Firefly
Apr '13

10 of us went on Saturday night called headed to make reservations were seated right away the service was wonderful along with the food, had a wonderful time and will go back

Hubby and I went for the first time Friday night. Overall, I think this place is going to be great for a burger/salad and apps. The entrees were good, but not excellent. He had meatloaf that was ok and I had the tuna and avacado. My biggest complaint is that the tuna was overcooked. When the menu says "seared" and I order rare, I expect it to be tender and pink in the middle with an outside that has merely kissed the grill, but it was quite a bit more done than that. Definitely still pink in the middle, but more cooked than my taste.

I will definitely go back, though! This place is exactly the type of night life that is missing from this area. The bar was hopping and I can't wait to go back and try a burger or a salad!

somechick somechick
Apr '13

Just noticed Bea's has a Sunday buffet, $20.00 per person. Wondering if anyone has been there for the buffet.

Bessie Bessie
May '13

Living 80 years in this town,this has the potential of being one of the best things to occur in eating establishments.Thank God they have done an extraordinary job on the old Clarendon!!
The menu seems a bit pricy,but so is any place that nears "Fine" dining. As for wait staff,wether or not they are temp or"career" makes no difference,LEARN the proper way to do the job or signup for MacDonalds.
I missed Charley Browns,and will await judgement !!

Oldtimer Oldtimer
May '13

Been there about 8 times - the food is good Pub Food - wouldn't call it fine dining, but for pub fare it is good. I have had great service everytime I have gone - probably had a young man, name is Mark at least 4 or 5 times and he is really great, pleasant, knowledgeable, and no mistakes!! Really like the atmosphere.

DreamOn DreamOn
May '13

I was finally able to go by there today, and while I wasn't really wowed by my meal it was decentish.
The calamari was a bit chewy and the saucing was a bit messy to look at but it wasn't horrible. Not exactly flash fried, but whatever. The pulled pork sandwich was average as well.. Obviously it was made yesterday at best. The flavors were pretty muddled, but pulled pork and the North don't really go together. The service was good.. She was attentive without being in overly so even though I was her only table.

My one big disappointment were the fries. I may just have to get over this in this town, but why doesn't anyone salt their fries when they come out of the fryer? Anything coming out of a fryer gets salt as soon as it comes out or it tastes dead. The calamari would hav the benefited from salt as well.

I still maintain that the pan dam is the best meal in town, especially since smokehouse bbq closed up.

I'll go back to beas again though.. Like I said it's not great but for around here it's pretty good.

peder hollinghurst peder hollinghurst
May '13

Poor quality food thats overpriced. Staff is either untrained young cocky snobs or over-the-hill washed up slobs.Owners should clean house and rid themselves of 99% of the workers and try to serve food at a standard that is atleast above Burger King!

King Ralph King Ralph
May '13

Had lunch there - I thought it was --------EXCELLENT ! Staff very nice and food was very good - prices were very fair compared to other places - my french fries were crisp !

Went for the second time on Sunday . First time we went was the first week week they were open and food and service were not impressive. We waited a few months and gave it another shot. Food is fair and service was not as slow as the first time but still not good. All in all it is a beautiful renovation but seems like a lot of work done just to be a bar and not a little more focus on the restaraunt and service side. I think we are done trying after 2 tries.

My wife and I ate there when they first opened. The food was meh. Fish was luke warm and the fries were soggy.

We decided to give it another try but nothing really changed.

We tried traditional irish food the first time and recently wanted to try other items.

The margarita pizza looked and tasted like Ellio's frozen pizza with a bit of cut up tomato.
I asked for my burger medium well... while I know it would be more dry which is fine but it was burnt all over. You can cook anything well done without burning it.

The staff is very friendly and our waitress was great though.

We might go back in a year or so.

I'm glad so many people won't be frequenting the place... it'll be easier for me to get a seat at the bar!!

May '13

We have been there three times and had a good meal each visit.

JD 4020 JD 4020
May '13

Hire the Chef from The Quiet Man. Now that's authentic, consistent and excellent Irish Fare.

Also cut down the menu. Have 5 apps and 12 core foods. Put all the quality ingredients and into those items and you will find a winning combo

Mike18 Mike18
May '13

Neko...I had previously recommended the Hawaiian pizza but I went a week ago and they had changed it. Not good at all now. I will not order it again and just when I thought I had found something to snack on while handing with friends and having a beer. That's frustrating and I wonder if they are listening to the feedback they are getting. Other than comment cards (which they don't have) this site is priceless to biz owners.

I agree Mike. KEEP IT SIMPLE and do it well. ALways the best advice!

Firefly Firefly
May '13

My husband and I finally decided to try out Bea's over the Memorial Day weekend, after waiting a couple of months for them to get their footing. After reading a lot of the negative posts, we were apprehensive but hopeful.

Well, we were pleasantly surprised...we loved our experience!

We both started with a salad and everything was fresh. Balsamic dressing delicious.

My husband had the fish and chips and the restaurant must have listened to the feedback here because the fish and chips were served vertically instead of the fish laying on top of the fries and causing them to get all soggy and oily. The flavor of the beer batter was delicious.

I had the beercan chicken and again, the flavor was delicious - the mushroom sauce served on top was perfect. The mashed potatoes were equally as yummy.

My husband tried 2 different beers and enjoyed both. We unfortunately were too full for dessert but will try next time.

Our waitress was attentive and friendly - A+ for service.

We absolutely loved the renovations that were done - the inside looks amazing. Every room has a different feel and the attention to detail is great. The bar area is fantastic - beautifully done.

We are happy to see a business that invested so much in Hackettstown. We will definitely be regulars there and will be happy to support such a wonderful local business!

Jules Jules
May '13

My husband and I went to Bea's yesterday. Experience was mixed. Server was very attentive and service was good. Beer was great, huge selection, the bar is definitely doing well.

Lucky Bags appetizer was ok, I'm not a salt junkie but would expect anything with corned beef in it to be a bit saltier and more flavorful. Seemed like maybe they were made with corned beef deli meat?

For dinner DH had the bangers and mash and I tried the fish and chips. Fish and chips were great, not greasy, fish was not laid flat. DHs potatoes were good, but his sausage had no flavor at all. We are used to good sausage that we buy from a butcher, this had less flavor than a hot dog. It was cooked well, just not a good product to begin with.

DH had the bread pudding for dessert, again, not much flavor to it. Even the raisins in it just didn't have any taste. That dish needed a pinch of salt and some cinnamon maybe?

Anyway we will go again, we're glad they're in town, but might try some of the non Irish dishes next time.

hktownie hktownie
May '13

I've eaten at Bea's 6-7 times now, and have yet to try an Irish dish... probably because I don't see it as a TRUE Irish restaurant, like the Dublin Pub. However, I know an actual Irishman is running the place, so I would imagine the Irish selections should be pretty good...

I don't go out often, and when I do go to a bar like Bea's, I generally want a couple of cold ones and a burger. A GOOD burger. I'll have to try the Irish food next time.

May '13

Our family has been there 7 times and yet have had a bad experience or meal. They definitely have changed up things since the first time we went. For the better. I have tried a lot of the beers and have my favorites already. The bar is definitely hopping and bringing nightlife to the area.

I urge everyone to try it and see for yourselves.

Christine Christine
May '13

Had the same experience as hktownie recently. Ordered the corned beef and cabbage and it was sliced corned beef deli meat. I didn't know what to say....

hktownie was talking about the lucky bags. I was there in the last few days and one of my party had the corned beef and cabbage. It was NOT deli meat.l but it was delicious. I had the fish and chips and it was the best fish and chips I've ever had.

My only complaint is pacing. If they could have waited another five minutes to bring out our dinner, it would have let us totally finish out apps.

btownguy btownguy
Jun '13

Only there once,about two months ago.As a lifelong resident with six generations here i thank them for an absolutely fantastic renovation of the old landmark!!!
As far as the meal,I was not overly impressed,but it's early yet.
Hackettstown sure needs that type of dining available. BTW,service was mediocre at best! Prices not warranted by product offered.

Oldtimer Oldtimer
Jun '13

7 times Christine... They must know you by name now, lol.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '13

I didn't know that there was such a thing as corned beef deli meat? That's kind of difficult for me to believe... I may stop by later today for dinner. Not sure yet. I haven't gone for dinner in a couple of months. My curiosity is aroused on account of this new chef from the Black Horse in Mendham.

just the facts maam just the facts maam
Jun '13

just the facts..Most grocery stores usually carry 2, there's corned beef round and there's first cut. I buy the first cut and it's delicious on a sandwich.

http://www.blackbeardeli.com/our-products/deli/beef/corned-beef-brisket/

Bessie Bessie
Jun '13

Not yet Bessie.........I actually have been there for 3 private parties and 4 times some with couples and hubby.

Christine Christine
Jun '13

Oh give it a few times and they will know you for sure, LOL.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '13

Its funny every time we go its in a different section and a different hostess. I do see people I know that work there. Only once did one of the owners come up and ask about the meal. My favorite room is the wallpapered room. Its beautiful. I also see a lot of the same people when we do go. There bands are really great. Its a nice evening out to hear some great music, have a great meal or snack and meet with friends. Not any places around here like that. We can actually walk there.

Christine Christine
Jun '13

Heading to Bea's Saturday night to hear the band. Any suggestions on what time to get there to get a booth for the night?

Thanks!

Nicky Nicky
Jun '13

Nicky-Treat it as if it were a parade. Get there at noon leave your jacket at a booth and simply come back just in time for dinner and music!! LOL.

LOL@Greg!

Jun '13

@Greg - Hilarious!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jun '13

Thanks Greg!

Nicky Nicky
Jun '13

Hahahaha Greg. Anybody know if there are any new beers on tap? Probably going to stop in again soon.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '13

Ok this is my rundown of Bea's my family has been there many times from the beginning which was not good at all till as recently as Friday night. What a difference I'm not saying that it is perfect but they are making better improvements with the food. We know of the new chef, he does have his work cut out for him, we live half between the black horse pub and Bea McNally's so I know of his work. Give him time I can see the specials already becoming a staple. I had the cedar plank snapper which was great. Hackettstown needs this place to make it. Give them time to grow. Seems they def rushed to open

Mary G Mary G
Jun '13

I've been there several times, no complaints. Food has been great every time.

The_Bishop The_Bishop
Jul '13

They've gone from 40 beers on tap to 11? That's a huge disappointment... they don't even have Smithwick's or Guinness on tap, according to their menu:

http://www.beamcnallys.com/ordereze/Menu/13/MenuItems.aspx

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

I've been there one time. I thought the decor and building were beautiful. I thought the atmosphere was great and staff seemed friendly. I did not care for the menu. I am not a big meat eater and that seemed to be all that was on the menu. Not even one pasta dish. Ended up getting pizza which the waitress said was fairly new to the menu. Granted it's not a pizza place but I didn't care for it at all.

Sorry for the confusion ianimal. We do have 39 beers on tap. As for the website I will be working on that to get it
updated. Thank you for pointing this out!!

Arlene
Manager, Bea McNallys

missarlene
Jul '13

My biggest problem is the cost for mixed drinks. A Captain and Coke is something ridiculous like $13.00! Not a hang out for non-beer drinks.

Michelle O Michelle O
Jul '13

Thanks, Arlene... Whew!!! (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Jul '13

Hi all,
Just thought I would respond to your inquires regarding Bea McNally's. We do offer pasta dishes on the menu, such as a homemade Spinach and Mushroom Ravioli as well as Penne Vodka with any protein you would like to accompany it if you wish. There are a lot of meats on the menu, but there is also an array of fish and poultry to choose from as well. Drinks are reasonably priced. A Captain and Coke will run you $6.50, a double is $11.50. Happy Hour prices will take another $1.50 off of any drink you choose as well as half price Apps.
We appreciate all of your feedback, both positive and negative. We have made changes since opening. Looking forward to meeting some of you fellow Hackettstown Lifers!!!!
Sincerely,
Mandy- Manager
aka Snoopy

Snoopy Snoopy
Jul '13

Me too.....Phew!

Firefly Firefly
Jul '13

$6.50 for a Captain & Coke is still high in my opinion. This isin't NYC.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

@MissArlene: Trying to get my band booked again. We had a great turnout the two times we played but then get shuffled thru the turnover with Jess and Jenn. Would love to play again and wondering what we could do. Please PM me :-)

I'm curious about the gluten-free menu, as I'd heard that it's not all really gluten free. Little mistakes like that can send people to the hospital.

Someone
Jul '13

kb2755 - $6.50 is the going price anywhere for a Premium Rum with Coke...unless you are at the Legion or a firehouse.

Firefly Firefly
Jul '13

$6.50 thats pretty average for around here unless your drinking at the Knights, Moose or Legion.

Christine Christine
Jul '13

When I ordered mixed drinks at BM, the gave us double without asking. That's probably why Michele quoted the price she did. That during the first couple weeks. I hope they ask before serving you a double.

Gadfly Gadfly
Jul '13

A true premium rum I would be fine with 6.50 or even rounded at 7$. But I wouldn't call Captain Morgan a premium rum by any stretch. Too high for Captain.

Captain
Jul '13

To kb2755: You havent been to NYC in years. At Marleys vodka on the rocks is $7.25 - at the Blackstone i was charged $9.00! (not a misprint and I have never been back!) McNalley's liquor prices are reasonable on local standards.

I work in NYC (Downtown) and can get a Bacardi and Coke for $5.00. Its not the nicest place in the area but its NYC.

kb2755 kb2755
Jul '13

And at McNally's happy hour you can get a Rum & coke for $5.00 also.

"Not even one pasta dish."

?? why do people post such misinformation.

Darwin Darwin
Jul '13

And why is not having pasta at an Irish-themed restaurant even a critique? Not many Italian joints around serving corned beef and cabbage and no one seems to mind.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

emaxxman i went to a Mexican restaurant last night and can you believe they didn't have 1 pasta option. Man i will never go back there again!!

Darwin Darwin
Jul '13

"They've gone from 40 beers on tap to 11? That's a huge disappointment... they don't even have Smithwick's or Guinness on tap, according to their menu:"

I was there last weekend and had a delicious Guiness on tap.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jul '13

"Miss Arlene" came on and explained that it was simply an issue with their online menu; they still have 39 beers on tap, including that velvety black nectar of the gods that you were able to enjoy last weekend.

sheanimal and I went there for dinner on Wednesday after visiting with cbel. I think that they have ironed out a lot of the kinks that plagued them early on. Any criticisms I have are relatively minor.

The service was great and everything we ordered came out in a reasonable amount of time at the correct temperature; the beer was cold, the food was hot and we had enough time to eat the appetizer before the entrees arrived (but didn't have to wait long for the entrees after the appetizer plates were cleared). From a service standpoint, you can't ask for any more than that.

I had an Arrogant Bastard Ale and sheanimal just had water, I believe. We split a Chicken Quesadilla for the appetizer and she chose the Margarita Pizza for her entree while I opted for the Fish and Chips.

The quesadilla was served with salsa, guacamole and sour cream on the side. It was filled generously with chicken and cheese and was definitely big enough for two people to split. Absolutely delicious.

The pizza per the menu was supposed to be your standard Margherite (sauce, mozzarella and fresh basil). When it came out, it was topped with diced tomatoes and red onion... so, not exactly as advertised, but sheanimal thought it was great.

The Fish and "Chips" came in a basket with a faux newspaper liner, which is a nice touch presentation-wise. There were four good-sized pieces of fish alongside a heaping pile of french fries (not exactly English-style "chips", but they were very good french fries, so no complaints there). The fish was firm, mild in flavor and cooked properly and the batter was golden-brown and crispy for the most part... but there were spots on each of the pieces where the coating got soggy and pulled away from the fish. That might be due to the steam from the hot fries or the little bit of oil that drained into the bottom of the basket... hard to say, but while it wasn't a complete home run, I would certainly rate it as "very good". The tartar sauce that accompanied the fish was very good as well, as far as tartar sauce goes. I even dipped my french fries in it after I finished my fish.

All in all, it was a great meal and for right around $40, you can't go wrong. My only regret is that I didn't save room for the dessert special, blueberry pie a la mode. My blueberry pie jones continues...

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

Sounds like the margherita was actually a bruschetta pizza.

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

That would be a good colloquial, if technically incorrect, term for it, yes (-;

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

Re: Bea McNally's Pub and Eatery, continued again

I just happen to have a photo of the pizza in question... sheanimal can't eat anything at a restaurant without taking a picture of it first, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Jul '13

Does she instagram it too? LOL.

Yeah, not sure if I would consider that a bruschetta pizza either (like most places market it as such.) That is one fat, honking crust!

emaxxman emaxxman
Jul '13

I went there last night, we had two apettizers:
Thai chicken skewers - chicken skewers with coconut and pinapple and some peanut sauce (but it wasn't really peanut sauce) It was really good.
Pork potstikers - very good. and nice presentation, came in a basket with lid.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Jul '13

Well third trip to the Pub, trying to be fair, new chef, but they still dont get it, I ordered a Pub burger, and it came with fries, a Pub needs a good burger to make it in business, had no flavor, dry , average size.The fries were just regular frozen fries, they should be Pub fries.My wife ordered the Crab cake sandwich, that was pretty good, but same old fries.The way the food is getting rated by the town ,I guess they wanted a bar,instead of a resturant.There is a difference between a cook, and a chef,we all waited for them to get there feet wet,well wake up,that building is to big to be just a bar ! Guess my family and I still have to leave town to get Pub food.

Robert Robert
Aug '13

That thing looks like a Digiornos pizza.

Mike18 Mike18
Aug '13

Well to be fair Robert, it does not take a chef to cook a hamburger. Not sure what you mean about the fries. I guess you were hoping for more of a steak cut? Would it be okay if they were frozen or do they need to be hand cut? Or is it the seasoning?

Firefly Firefly
Aug '13

If you want some advice, go to the QUIET MAN, in dover,thats a Irish pub that knows what it takes,please dont give me a friendly burger,with friendly fries,and call it a pub burger.You need a general manager from outside,your to close to the problems.

Robert Robert
Aug '13

Best burger in town is Marely's. I go to Marley's for a burger. I go to Bea's for the beer... while Marley's usually has something good on tap, there's no competing with Bea's 40 taps and 6 seasonals... both places are cool, for their own reasons. Bea's also has live music... Marley's has karoake last I checked. No thanks.

Judging by the constantly full lot, I don't think Bea's has to worry much about the negative reviews on HL.

Aug '13

oh- and if you want a better burger than Marley's, head out to the Log Cabin Inn in Columbia. But go hungry!

Aug '13

I found this misplaced over in the Venting Thread -

TO day was first time we ate at BEA McNallys and it was great the house beer was very tastey and right on the mark I had the crock of onion soup shepherds pie my guests had the pulled pork and the happy bags and the corned beaf cabbage it was all so good

Caged Animal Caged Animal Message Caged Animal
14 hours ago

Firefly Firefly
Oct '13

I saw that too FF..... Couldn't find a "vent" in it to save my life

Oct '13

Thank you Firefly

Caged Animal Caged Animal
Oct '13

Just had brunch at Bea McNally's. Huge disappointment. They did not offer what is advertised on their website. No french toast or pancakes. Not worth $20 a person.

hopeful hopeful
Jan '14

It's so funny that your post came up today, hopeful. DH suggested brunch this morning at Bea's and we looked up the price and decided it was a little too expensive. So glad we didn't waste our time and money.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '14

Hopeful, did you mention it while there?

btownguy btownguy
Jan '14

The bar staff needs to be more on the ball. Ive watched them numerous times walk around and around and around and not ask the customers if they want a drink. And this is when its slow.

jerseycash5
Jan '14

We went there for brunch in December and they had french toast and pancakes. The pancakes were made to order at buffet.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '14

They had it when we went.

Christine Christine
Jan '14

Marley's has great food but terrible service. Bea's has okay food and better service. Marley's has a terrible local crowd full of racists and jerks. Bea's has a diverse and pleasurable crowd. Marley's has decent beer, but a lot of liquor. Bea's has fantastic beer and less liquor. Certain nights are busts in each establishment, it all depends on your mood and willingness to deal with whatever population is present at that time.

Bea McNallys has the worst service I have ever encountered. The waiters walk past you like you're not there, the same with the bartenders.

Best burger in town. Good people. It's a large place so some patrons feel like they're not getting attentive service

Mike12 Mike12
Jan '14

I've eaten at Bea's several times and enjoyed my food every time. I admit, I'm not a foodie, but I do like good, well-prepared food and that's what I've eaten at Bea's. If I need the attention of a server I get their attention, and they come right over and stop at our table to ask what we need. I have not tried the Sunday Brunch, and I'll get around to that eventually. I'm happy they are in town and hope they're doing well.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jan '14

@btownguy - I didn't mention it while we were there as we had enough issues, but I did send them an email and have not heard back.

I was very disappointed with the selection of food and the service. We were one of very few patrons there and were greeted by 5 people. We got seated by the fireplace - far from the food and the waitress did not come over to us for a good 10 minutes (after we got up to get our food). We had to look for her to get more coffee. When the guy asked about the food at the buffet area, I told him their wasn't a big selection and the mac n cheese wasn't great. I must say that he attended to that and took some back to the chef. He then came back and seasoned it more. I wish I would of known I could of ordered from the menu instead of having the buffet as I'm a vegetarian and without the french toast or pancakes - I was stuck with a limited options. My husband is a huge breakfast eater and he was not thrilled either. Definitely not a good first impression of the place.

hopeful hopeful
Jan '14

I've been to Bea's quite a few times, and the food has ranged from below-average to good.

If they can't always get the food right, at least they should get their beer pours right and serve an honest pint. Sometimes it's very difficult to tell when they don't give you a standard shaker glass (16 oz. to the rim...and you'd be amazed how much you lose with "headroom.") Some of the tulip glasses they give you (usually with their $5-6/pint beers) look rather anemic.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jan '14

Okay so if you didn't mention it while there or raise questions while there, you have no right to complain after.

It's very easy to complain from a PC.

btownguy btownguy
Jan '14

First: My feelings are that there are way too many "chain" eating establishments in the area and it is unfair to compare "chains" to the local establishments. Don't do that!!!!

Bea's is all-right. I'v been in there many times and myself have worked in various parts of the restaurant industry over many years. To begin; I give a: "B+" to the bar and waite staff, "A" for the variety of beer, "A-"for cleanliness, "B+" for parking, "A" for remodeling and appearance, "C" for food.

Why did I give a "C" to the food... First, it is obvious that most of the apps are commerical/Sisco frozen products then deepfried (how about chef made, quality), The Shepard Pie is decent but there is more mashed potatoes that the core of the pie (Isn't Shepards Pie made from lamb not hamburger?), the Guinness Beef Stew was also thick with champ and the quality of beef was just not there (needed to be way better trimmed), the Fish and Chips are frozen commerical products and of poor quality...way too much batter covering tiny pieces of fish which were served soggy and the fries need to go (again, how about chef made, quality), Still haven't had a burger served medium...it is either rare or well done and needs some type spicing but overall ok, the Corned Beef & Cabbage was quite good as was the Rachel Melt and the Smokin Pork (excluding the french fries). Like any restaurant, pick and choose your food and drink...that makes for a variety of business all around town and competition.

Operating a restaurant is not an easy venture thus sharp department managers must have keen situational awareness, evaluations and decision making skills. Verbal and written communicatins from ALL customers and non-customers are a critical input to the business equation as is understanding advertising, targeted audience, markets and demographics...plus so much more. I feel that their overall costs stemming from renovation, mortgage, insurance's', local/county/state taxes, utilities, suppliers and so forth are a serious challenge to Bea's. One solution to rectifying those challenges is customer volume; thus, quality food is a major factor to curtomer volume.

As for the Smokehouse, is was very good in the beginning but slowly the quality went down hill (he is still operating in Newton). I feel that the lack of customer volume led to the degrading of his food (costs).....then there was a fire.

The Black Stones is very good as is the Log Cabin but their hours could be extended/modified. Pub 517 (the old Still) is so-so as is the the Pump House, Marleys, O'reilly's and Kroughs...again they all have their own specialities and atmosphere.

Long Time Local Long Time Local
Jan '14

Hopeful, I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed with the Sunday Brunch. We do in fact offer pancakes made to order as well as omelets. The regular menu is also always available during brunch hours. Please always feel free to ask to speak to a manager regarding your experience.
Sincerely,
Mandy ~ Manager

Mandy Mandy
Jan '14

We were at the brunch at Bea McNally's few weekends ago and enjoyed it very much! The sausage was amazing! There was plenty of variety, and the line moved fast.

Mandy - did you go to NHS? I thought you looked familiar!

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Jan '14

I don't have anything to add, just want to keep it near the top :>)

Jan '14

What's the deal with the 25 cent wings on Sunday? Is it all day or just during the super bowl?

Metsman Metsman
Jan '14

I had lunch today at Bea's with a friend; great lunch as usual. My friend had not ever been to Bea's and liked the food and atmosphere and prices. She's planning on going back with her husband. I've been to Bea's quite a few times when busy and not busy. I have no complaints. I haven't tried the brunch but will eventually.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jan '14

Last time I went, I had a Philly cheesesteak with waffle fries. YUM.

And there were TV sets with sports on, every direction I turned.

Who could ask for more?

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
Jan '14

Andy - you are right about the TV's. Not a bad seat anywhere to watch a game.

Firefly Firefly
Jan '14

LOVE Bea McNally's in Hackettstown, NJ. I hosted my husband's surprise 30th birthday party there a few weekends ago and everything worked out perfectly. The staff and party planner were so accommodating and attentive to our every need. Budget was also a concern but when I got the final bill I was so relieved - I was expecting to be billed a lot more! They were true to their word.

Really this place is exceptional when it comes to working with you for party-planning - especially if you are reserving a room for more than 10+ people.

If I had to host another party at a restaurant I would definitely do it again at Bea McNally's. They were sooo terrific!

Liz Z Liz Z
Feb '14

My wife and I have been to Bea McNally's for lunch a couple of times, Its a great deal, very good sandwich choices along with a soup or a salad for $10 ,, all quality food ,, tastes great , and nice portion size, our number one choice for lunch,,,

BlueFishEd BlueFishEd
Feb '14

We went to Bea's last night for dinner with my son and his girlfriend. We had a delicious meal and our wonderful server Terry was great! A short, little, cute bald Jewish man came to our table at the end of the meal and asked us how it was. We replied great! He then said "Could you post that on Hackettstown life please?" Yes we can!

Grahamcracker Grahamcracker
Feb '14

There food is absolutely awful, ate there twice would never go back. It's a shame the owner should spend some time in the kitchen and see the crap they put out. Give them another year then you will see a for sale sign, they will not make it as a bar business only.

Timmy Timmy
Feb '14

nastiest most oily fish and chips I've ever seen - amazed I didn't get sick

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

???

I've had fish and chips many times when I go there - always good. Same for the Shepherds and chicken pot pies.

I can't think of anything I had there that was sub par.

People just like to bash things I guess.

I read so much on here begging for places to open in town, then the same group tries to hound it out of business. It's like a sick game with you people.

Barnacle Bill
Feb '14

No worries Beas is going no where! They are always busy at the bar!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

grahamcracker-how do you know he was Jewish--did he have a sign on?

ramone michaels ramone michaels
Feb '14

GrahamCracker - be careful of type casting!!!!!

Yes...don't ever call a middle aged man cute - he will hate that.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

cute bald jewish man ROTFLMAO

jerseycash5
Feb '14

We went to Bea's last night for dinner with my son and his girlfriend. We had a delicious meal and our wonderful server Terry was great! A short, little, cute bald Jewish man came to our table at the end of the meal and asked us how it was. We replied great! He then said "Could you post that on Hackettstown life please?" Yes we can!
Grahamcracker

When you have to beg a customer(s) to post something good about your establishment, then you know something is wrong. Let the customer(s) post their own like/dislike. If you are good, then you have no worries. If you have worries about what is posted, then read them and improve what the people are saying is/are your weak points. I am not saying that Bea's is good or bad. I have had both experiences.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Feb '14

Try the Quiet Man in Dover,best Pub food in the area,not frozen,not patties, all fresh,creative chef,great service,and worth the trip, see what your missing,then make a post!

So, he told you his religion?

the Quiet Man does have the best pub food in the area. no Jews though. only Irish and Hispanics

ramone michaels ramone michaels
Feb '14

going to The Quiet Man tomorrow - was there once before - loved it--as for those fish and chips at Bea's -- you could literally see the oil dripping out of each piece --still smh that I didn't send it back right away - though I did tell the waitress when she removed my plate (with plenty leftover on it) about the oil problem

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Maybe he was wearing a yamaka?

That little bald man you speak of was so incredibly rude and unprofessional one night with my friends and I while we were sitting in a booth, trying to enjoy our dinner. He is the reason we barely ever go back when we WERE going once a week. We are never the type of people to complain or send food back but we had a major issue with our food, tried to talk to him nicely, and we got a rude response and he didn't rectify ANYTHING. We then spoke to another manager who apologized repeatedly and gave us a gift certificate. She definitely handled it much better than the gentleman, however, he was so rude and it makes me uncomfortable even going in there. I am HUGE on customer service skills. If you're not a people person, then don't take on a job where you can't handle people and smile and put the customers first.

I don't like to ever complain or bash establishments in the area. If the food isn't great, you won't hear me say anything. I'm not hard to please when it comes to food! However, when someone has poor customer service and is rude, that's something totally different. This happened a while ago so I truly hope things have changed in some ways as it really is a great place to have in town and the food isn't bad. Hackettstown really needed a place like this.

Rich - I also wondered about that description -

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Did he offer to pick up the check?

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Feb '14

short little cute bald - but there are a lot of those out there on this forum---

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

I'm surprised it took anyone 2 days to post about GrahamCrackers comment. Saw it on Sunday and just walked away shaking my head, wasn't touching it with a 10 foot pole.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '14

Anom, did he tell you to post that on Hackettstown Life? Just checking to see if he's being consistent.:o)

Clyde Potts - I didn't read that anyone "begged" Grahamcracker to post their pleasant experience at Bea's on HL. I do know that in general people complain and criticize at much higher percentage than they do compliment. It's just requires a basic understanding of business to understand that a business appreciates testimonials. There is nothing wrong with asking them after they have voluntarily stated that they were satisfied to post a comment. This is how word of mouth works today. There are so many bad mouthing, unpleasant people spewing their complaints these days that it's nice to read something positive.

Many things factor into your experience when commenting/complaining about your service/food/bill to the management. Many times it's the way the people making the complaint handle their side of it. Other times it's a tough night for one reason or another for the management.

As far as the description of the manager goes - it's up to him to be offended or not and really no one else's business besides his.

I would be willing to bet that most businesses wish they never heard of this forum.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

I'll bet the ones that get consistently good feedback love this forum.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

Why is bea mcnally's such a big deal here? Isn't this their 3rd thread!? i can see when it was new, but it's not new anymore - just another restaurant in town. Should we also start threads for IHOP, Frank's, Hong Kong Palace, Fujiyama, Stella G's, Pandan Room, Mama's, Hot Bagel's Abroad, Prickly Pear, Enzo's, The Pump House, Marley's, Bensi, Panera, Friendly's, Pietro's, Ruby Tuesday's, Applebee's, The Grove, Leo's, The Golden Skillet and David's Country Inn? I'm sure for any restaurant some people would rave and some would rant.

Jimmy
Feb '14

Quiet man is an excellent Irish fare restaurant. Bea McNally's should offer the chef they're a "deal QM couldn't refuse". That's how you run a business. You need good food, not the crap that place is serving.

They ran a radio advertisement on WRNJ. It said come in and try our great Irish food, like the calamari, the thai chicken skewers.....

Haha, they're not too bright on the advertising front either. My wife is a restaurant consultant so BEA MCNALLY's I challenge you to reach out to me and I'll put you in touch with my wife. She can help you for sure. Front end and back end operations.

Foodie18 Foodie18
Feb '14

Hehe Rich...he did NOT ask me to post my experience on here! Oh well. I do hope things have gotten better for their sake. They really did a beautiful job inside. If only they could get their staff up to par and the food back to the way it was when they originally opened...YUM!

When it originally opened it was more of a mess than now.

Foodie18 Foodie18
Feb '14

And that's expected in growing pains. We're now well past that.

Foodie18 Foodie18
Feb '14

Was at the Quiet Man a few months back while visiting my sister in Rockaway. I enjoyed dinner until the roach walked across the table we were sitting at. Won't go back!

John C John C
Feb '14

When you think you know it all, you dont?A bar owner thinks he can add a restaurant,a restaurant owner thinks he can run a bar! Two different operations,unless you drop your ego,you will not make it.You need a consultant to come in an school you in the process,or you will only draw a bar crowd,and they will push out the the family customer.Do you want the local that has two drinks,and hangs at the bar till he finds another local?A bar seat should make you $10,000 per year.On the other hand a table of 4,with drinks and dinner,should make you $20,000 per year.Do the math.Two dollar beers,bring in the bar crowd,at what expense?If your business crowd comes in, and your young professional,and feels the food is good, and the drinks are good, and the service,they wont leave town! But if they here foul mouth drinkers, with bottles in there hand, there out of there.One simple tip, all bottle drinkers must use a glass,you will see the difference , they will move over to Marleys,and be more happy.This leaves room for the customer who will make that bar stool payoff.Just saying.

Lobo You have been drinking too much. Must be those 2 dollar beers at Bea's.

jerseycash5
Feb '14

jerseycash5,maybe not enough,you must go to Marley's

Ate at Beas on Tuesday night. Food was terrible as was the service. The host made us feel very uncomfortable. And weve eaten here close to ten times. Overall just a terrible experience and we won't be eating here again for quite some time.

A lot of trolls around here lately!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

Are you classifying anyone that doesn't think Bea's food is great as a troll?

Bessie Bessie
Feb '14

I think we are all interested in what others think about restaurants - some will like it and some won't - some will order something that is good - some will order "the wrong thing" - what's the problem? I spoke for my own experience............

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

Any restaurant would appreciate your comments on their performance, good or bad, before you leave the restaurant. That helps them improve their establishment.

But I suspect the cowards on here wouldn't have the class to say anything to anyone's face, so they come to HL to vent their anger and drive another business out of town.

Way to support your neighbors people.

The Shark
Feb '14

Around here unless you think every business that opens is great then you are an unjust citizen. You must thank every business good or bad for blessing this town with there presence. Never let anyone know that anything anywhere in these town limits is anything but stellar. If you have a bad experience just keep quite and let other experience the surprise on there own. If you have a good experience then please take out a banner and scream it from the mountain tops.

the problem is when its a new name that just came on here to bash a business you don't know if they were a "real" customer or someone from a competitor looking to give their competition a bad name.

And like the Shark said, i hope you at least voiced your opinion to the management when you were there and didn't just go home on jump on HL.

darwin darwin
Feb '14

Bea has a wonderful beer selection.

MikeL MikeL
Feb '14

Well Shark - I did tell them before I left - both about the food and the icy front steps ---which I had told them about when I arrived as well..........

5catmom 5catmom
Feb '14

I think we can all agree that Bea McNally's is a wonderful addition to Hackettstown..so find something you like when you go there and take it for what it is..a great place to meet friends, enjoy some beers, watch a sporting event or grab a bite to eat. It's not supposed to be the type of place you would necessarily think of for a very special occasion. IMHO it's an any day or the night kind of place. A spur of the moment place that you can go to without worries of being dressed to the hilt, it won't break the bank and you don't need a reservation. Priceless. I love the burger, & the Bangers and mash comes with high praise from a friend, I had the scallops one night that were fantastic. The salads are all very good too. So find your favorite and support a local biz now and then. That's all. I was at Bea's the same night 5cats was but used the side entrance and not the front so I didn't see the icy steps...Boy if I had a nickel right now for all the near misses I have had with poor sidewalk and entrances conditions.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

You know when a owner cares and is proud of his business, he walks through,asks how the food is,how is the service,is there anything we could do, to make your experience better?If he or she does, they will get a feel how they are doing.Lets start with basics, and move on.When you ask a waitress,this burger is raw in the middle,and she says,we have been having trouble all day. Great training!Lets face it, when it goes back to the kitchen,you just insulted the cook!Anyway, best of luck Bea McNally,there is a new pub moving in at the Benzi location,the best thing in the world is competition.

Bessie I am pretty sure you know exactly what I am saying. A lot of new names and a lot of new competition!

I can bet that 90% of the people on here who complain do not say anything about their experience, I have had not so great experience. I voiced my opinion. Once it was taken off and very apologetic. Once was no so apologetic and I never ordered that meal again. I have my favorite meals at all different restaurants throughout town. I always say to people if you do not like it try something else. Tell the owners it is your hard earned money why would you not?

Beas will be here for a while I have no doubt. But with all these trolls trying to sabotage them without going thru the right channels is just sad IMO!

Christine Christine
Feb '14

"without going through proper channels"? What is this, the military?

It's the restaurant's job to provide good food and good service, not mine. If Bea's would like to pay me some sort of consulting fee, I'll feel obligated to tell them in detail about everything that's wrong with their restaurant. Until then, there are no "proper channels". I'll tell a restaurant if they simply made a mistake, like burger or steak isn't cooked to order. But there is really no point in telling a restaurant that they consistently serve bad food. They already know the quality level of the food they serve, and theyre either working on it or they're not.

And the idea that people criticizing Beas are trolls or saboteurs is just silly. You like the place? Good for you. Obviously, there are many who feel differently.

Gadfly Gadfly
Feb '14

Gadfly - I agree, regarding the trolls, if people like going there and eating there they will continue to do so. I don't think posting here will deter them.

Personally, I have been there twice and both times the food was fine. Once I had a salad (kind of hard to mess up) and once I had a sandwich. The food wasn't anything so wonderful for me to drive 25 minutes for consistently though. However, if I lived in town I might go more often drinks as the atmosphere is nice.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '14

Just my way of reading other folks opinions; I take them with a grain of salt. I never seize on what somebody else has to say (especially folks unknown to me) about any establishment because I like to form my Own opinion. I may think a business or a Doctor or a Whatever is better or worse than what somebody else thinks. I try to refrain from offering my own opinion and rarely do so. I do think it is important for anybody who is having a negative or partially negative experience at Bea's or at any other place to take it to the Owners or Managers attention. Regarding Bea's my comment is not food or service related. My comment is that I would be dismayed to see that building once again Empty.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Feb '14

Went to Beas last night. All good things to report. The food was really good. I also like what they did with the place. Will surely be back :)

Wild Angel Wild Angel
Feb '14

Bea's is a great place to hang out, have some drinks, see a band, meet with friends. The food isn't bad - I can't knock it too much. However, I think they are trying to please too many people. If they stuck to simpler fare, I think customers would be more satisfied. I've noticed that the simpler fare is the best tasting and frankly, that's usually where the money is in a restaurant that bills itself as a pub. That being said, I have to give kudos to the blue cheese/truffle fries. I hate blue cheese and despise truffles, and yet, somehow, the fries are delicious to me. I tried them at the urging of a friend and wound up sharing half the plate!

AnnieT
Feb '14

The place was mobbed last night - enjoyed ourselves as usual.

Firefly Firefly
Feb '14

FYI - Tonight Bea McNally's is celebrating their 1st Anniversary!

"This Thursday Bea McNally's will be celebrating its one year anniversary. Join in the fun with all day drink and appetizer specials. Looking for more... our full menu is available including traditional Irish Fare such as Fish and Chips, Shepherds Pie and Corned Beef and Cabbage. Irish music will be performed by Brian McArdle from 5-9pm, Irish Step Dancers from the Slattery School of Irish Dance will perform followed by DJ Dave the Rave and Super J. Come by Thursday and be part of our special day!

For more information or to make a reservation call us at 908-813-1900"

Bea McNally's
109 Grand Ave.
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Phone: (908) 813-1900
http://www.beamcnallys.com/

Wendy @ Hkt Bid Wendy @ Hkt Bid
Feb '14

Check your checks, especially during happy hour, I had to explain the mistake a second time after the manager dismissed it the first time.
Had some poor wings and a very good pork sandwich.

roywhite roywhite
Mar '14

It's a toss-up I guess.What was the matter with the Wings?

fitter fitter
Mar '14

bitch n moan bitch n moan

jerseycash5
Mar '14

I like to go to Beas for lunch. Their lunch specials come with either a house salad or soup. The 6 sandwiches you can choose from (they do change day by day) come with fries and also either a coffee, tea or a soda. All for 10 dollars not including tax. A great deal!!!!!!! Monday thru Friday.

mansfield mama mansfield mama
Mar '14

Time to put this thread to rest! They have been open a year now, if you don't like the place, don't go! If you like it, keep on supporting them! They did a tremendous job in renovating a historic building which may have been torn down, for all we know!

deviljet
Mar '14

Thank You Deviljet !!!!!!!!!! so close to saying that to such a silly silly thread - I will go and support it !!!!!!! it is my choice !

What exactly makes it silly for people to give honest feed back if it is negative but wonderful if it is positive feedback.

I don't get why some people don't like this place, it's awesome.
They have a great wide variety of draft beers, the food is delicious, and the prices are more than reasonable. I try and go at least once a month.

PenningsLandscaping PenningsLandscaping
Mar '14

Last post!

Jimmy
Mar '14

Whatever...all I know is there are a couple super hot bartenders!!

LifeISgood
Mar '14

Anyone know if Bea's is hiring part timers, specifically waitressing?

CPTO1944
Mar '14

I'll bet someone at Bea McNally's knows... their number is 908-813-1900.

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '14

HEY one of those bartenders is my future DIL! Easy LifeIsgood!

Christine Christine
Mar '14

So true deviljet. If they hadn't come in very good chance the building would have been allowed to deteriorate until someone bought it cheap, then got it condemned to put up some more crappy brick rental buildings. Great addition this town sorely needed.

Denis Denis
Mar '14

I stopped in at Bea's for a quick lunch today. I had the chopped salad, held the bacon and added grilled chicken, and a pint of Riverhorse Belgian Freeze. The beer was excellent. The salad was large, but the amount of added chicken for $4.49 was a little disappointing. Also, there was only one small piece of avocado in it even though it was listed as one of the items that was supposed to be in there. I guess it was "in" there, but I would have expected more than one small piece. LOL The salad was tasty and all the items were fresh. It cost me $27 including tax and tip for a salad and a beer. Yikes!

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

We don't go to Bea's for food. We go for football and beer, and sometimes the apps. If I want better food, I walk across the street to Marley's- still the best burger (and my wife says the best chopped salad) in town.

I wonder if THG or DH have been putting a dent in Bea's business? (Marley's seems to have alot of regulars, I wouldn't think it would affect them as badly)

That reminds me, I haven't had a Marley's burger in quite a while.... may have to go this weekend!

Dec '14

I took a look at the football specials while I was there. They were pretty good. $1 Coors Light, Miller Lite, Yuengling and PBR pints. Pretty tempting, but the place we go now is about the same distance, so we will just stick with that.

I forgot to mention that my server/bartender was very friendly and attentive. Then again, I was the only person at the bar. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

I go to Bea's for atmosphere (usually because whomever I'm with prefers the ambiance) but prefer Marley's for their burgers and chop salad....and I appreciate the community spirit Marley's shows during Thanksgiving...and the honest beers, too!

Bea's food has been remarkably unremarkable during all of my visits. Burger I had last weekend was OK, not great. The pulled-pork my companion had was thoroughly unimpressive. For beer I stick with yerbasic Yeungling pint, which they seem to at least fill, but still get a premium for.

They did a nice job with the place, though, and not wanting to see them go out-of-business is a motivating factor for my dining choice...sometimes.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Dec '14

When ya'll going JR? Maybe we'll meet you there ... we're overdue too!

gimme-a-break gimme-a-break
Dec '14

With us, it's always a fri or sat night. This weekend, it would be sat (if we go) because we have group dinner plans fri at Tap House Grill (that will be my 3rd meal there), and football plans sun elsewhere....

But I'm dyin' for a burger, man!!!!

Dec '14

JR - Who is your team? Bengals? Browns? I know you are an Ohio boy. I never see you post in the NFL thread.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '14

14 July 2015; 6:30pm. The new chef has been there for several months so I decided to give it a try again; and unfortunately, I wasn't thrilled. My mother ordered a "crock" of chili for $2 more than the cup; but in reality, the crock quantity was no different than the cup size. Also, the server brought the chili to the table not knowing if it was to be topped with cheese and scallions..menu indicates the toppings so it was returned to the kitchen. I ordered the Mushroom and Swiss burger with sweet potatoe fries and it was delivered with regular fries so I had that rectified. The burger had "zero" flavor....just plain ground beef, few mushrooms; no spices or chopped onions blended in...wish it came with a slice of red onion and/or tomatoe. The sweet potatoe fries were good.

Beer selection is still impressive, the place is clean and the staff courteous.

I will return next week with someone else to try something other items

Long Time Resident Long Time Resident
Jul '15

Food is mediocre at best having been there a few times and given them a handful of chances. Typical bar food is really what it amounts to so don't set your expectations too high.

Your best bet? Eat somewhere else/home before you go and snack/drink there.

Make up your minds,people !! Do you want a BAR or a restaurant ?? It is indeed rare that a predominant "bar" does justice to food on a "dining" level. It is what it is, so be thankful the place is up and going.

Oldtimer Oldtimer
Jul '15

A bar can have a good kitchen, Oldtimer.
Look at The Quiet Man in Dover.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

+1 hapiest girl....love the Quiet Man

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Good beer is about the only good thing there.

Derek Derek
Jul '15

Well I guess if it flies with the customer base, imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery.

Send a few experienced cooks and waitstaff to the Quiet Man for lunch and dinner. If they set their prejudices aside, they may find something that works.

Management can go, too - separately.

jjmonth4 jjmonth4
Jul '15

Good example! The Quiet Man is a great hang-out bar for adults and the food is excellent as well! Pretty tall order to expect Bea's to be as good as the Quiet Man. That's why they have been consistently busy for years.

Heidi Heidi
Jul '15

Food & drink at Marley's always great!

Went to Marley's last week for the first time. Highly recommend it. FANTASTIC!!
We were the only ones in there, which surprised me.

botheredbyuu2 botheredbyuu2
Jul '15

botheredbyuu2 - big portions too, right?

There is a bar by my son's college in Bethlehem called Roosevelts. It's a college bar by night, and a bar/restaraunt by day, and real good food! No reason why Bea's cannot be a bar and have good food too!

deviljet
Jul '15

Yeah, Marleys is really good. Not sure why they're not busier.

Derek Derek
Jul '15

How are Bea's $7 lunches?-

copygirl copygirl
Jul '15

"Yeah, Marleys is really good. Not sure why they're not busier."

Because people like other places better?
lol

Marley's doesn't have such great reviews on Yelp.

hapiest girl
Jul '15

Marley's also has the worst wait staff. Sorry, but I've never gone there and not had to wait an extremely long time to get my order placed. If you're a regular there they fawn over you but if you're not it's like you don't exist. Food isn't nearly good enough there to make up for the service.

fuji
Jul '15

+1 fuji I've been there twice and there was nothing to get me back there

5catmom 5catmom
Jul '15

Calico (replying from Dec, lol): the Giants is my NFL team, thru proxy: I was never a football guy, I'm a baseball guy (Cincinnati Reds), and didn't get into NFL until about 5 years ago when my wife started watching it again... she's a Giants fan = I'm a Giants fan lol.

Concerning wait time Marley's vs Beas: I have NEVER waited longer for food at Marley's than I have at Bea's. We always sit at the bar tho, never in the dining room. Beats has been improving of late with the food. We still prefer Marley's. And the fact that Marley's is usually less crowed is a PLUS for me. A really loud and packed bar on a friday night does not interest me... unless I'm in the band.

Jul '15

I usually sit at a table in the bar area. Had one experience in the dining room. That was enough lol

fuji
Jul '15

Has the The Quiet Man reopened? Not long ago someone drove into it...

Jul '15

It never closed.You had to use the side entrance(still I think).Marleys staff is less than par.Wings are good but that is about it.Lost a lot of customers because of there credit card issues(a lot of people's cards compromised)never as good as the town crier was.JP Kelly's wings and WHOLE menu is delicious-give them a try.

whatsup
Jul '15

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.